• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I fought the last boss last night. Almost punched my TV set. Slashing QTEs WTF!?!?!?!?!

The game is excellent though, very hard is well... very hard. What a jump in challenge. If you get mobbed is there any way to get out of it. i get stuck parring a million times and never being able to attack.

If Raiden just has the shrug he does ("well you better arrest me then") in the opening to the Denver sequence as a taunt, it'd be good enough.

I want to cut someone to pieces and just go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ nanomachines, son

Well that was a good week. Got that Platinum Trophy and am feelin' pretty satisfied. Kudos to y'all who got it earlier, especially L.O.R.D. good god.

I got a good 40 or so hours of enjoyment outta that, can't wait to dip into some DLC later. But for now I guess I can go back to playing other things.

For some odd reason I thought the final boss
would be Snake. Or at least a clone or new Metal Gear something using his brain a-la the Boss in PW. I dunno why, but I would have loved if they went in that direction. Senator was great, but the thought of fighting a crazed berserker Snake would have been so crazy and awesome.

For some odd reason I thought the final boss
would be Snake. Or at least a clone or new Metal Gear something using his brain a-la the Boss in PW. I dunno why, but I would have loved if they went in that direction. Senator was great, but the thought of fighting a crazed berserker Snake would have been so crazy and awesome.

Berseker Snake for DLC?

Get real close and line up the blade. It will ding or turn to an x when it's accurate.

PS.
I ran to the corner and hid under the rubble he throws when Senator is dropped below 160%. I could not for the life of me line up the 4 areas that were necessary to be cut in blade mode otherwise.

you have to adjust the left stick (blade mode = camera) as well as adjust the right stick (blade mode= slash direction) on the second slash, then hit a face button to swing(triangle or x; I used triangle)

The game tries to trick you because the first slash you only need to adjust the right stick so by the time you get to the second slash your busy trying to line up the slash again without realizing you need to adjust the camera as well

Shame there's no way to fight whole game bare handed.

I wish! :p

There is one VR mission(at least) in the soon to be released DLC VR Missions for PS3 that has Raiden fight barehanded Final Fight/Streets of Rage style

MGR Director: Kenji Saito said:
VR Mission #19: Raiden takes on cyborgs with nothing but his fists in this street-styled VR mission. To change things up, this mission actually features a fixed camera that follows you along as you progress through the stage, like an old school platformer. Watch for your chance to parry counter and slam your enemies with an iron fist!

0221_02.jpg

Raxus

I hate the 1st metal gear boss fight in rev mode. I'm gonna tear my face off.

If you think that is hard then you are in for a rough ride. It is one of the most scripted fights in the game. Just parry everything. The only thing that you have to watch out for is the laser and bullets.

Once you have your upgrades back things gel better in Revengence.

Vodh

The only minor disappointment about the game I have is that upon completing Chapter 4 I believed I was just a tiny little bit past the first half of the game, since there obviously are 3 more chapters to go, and they probably can be even a bit longer than 1-4. Nope, chapters 5-7 combined are barely as long as any other single chapter, and that includes getting your ass whooped by the last boss for quite some time.

But the only issue I have with that is that I've read some minor spoilers, learning that there's 7 chapters and having inaccurate assumptions (Hey, it took me 4.5 hours to go through 4 chapters, if there are 3 more chapters then I have at least 3 more hours of awesome ahead of me!). Pacing-wise, the length of the chapters
and having Sam fight be its own chapter
is great.

Your deaths solely depend on how long you take to figure out his moves. It's a noticeable spike in difficulty if you're coming from Normal or Hard, but there's nothing cheap about the boss.

That is just factually wrong. The fact that if you miss the blade mode QTE, you lose, is bad design by nature.

The final boss is garbage.

Why did the achievements for the DLC VR missions show up in my achievement list when I literally can't get them because I live in America...
That is just factually wrong. The fact that if you miss the blade mode QTE, you lose, is bad design by nature.

Oh no, a final boss that makes you try.

Unless something is wrong with your controller you shouldn't miss, they give you A LOT of time to line up your strike.

I loved this game, beat it last night, going back for S ranks on Normal once I do that I feel I'm ready for Hard, Very Hard, and Revengence... I love this game as much as I loved Bayonetta.

Best "Metal Gear" game in nearly a decade (remember MGS3 is 9 years old before people try to murder me for the comment).

Veelk

Banned

I agree. That's not how it should work. What it should be is if you hit the Blade Mode boxes, then the game should reward you for your success, and if you miss the blade mode boxes, it should reward you for your failture. That's reasonable.

Sykotik

The QTE isn't difficult, you can see where you have to cut as it's coming towards you, before the Zandatsu actually starts. It gives you plenty of time to see the general area you're going to have to cut.

katkombat

Banned
Sam is making me want to tear my hair out. Fuck him. I can't parry anything of his and when I want to open the boxes I can't because he slams me from the air and I get hit. :/ Any specific secondary weapons I should be using? None out of the 3 seem to be helping. Should I go back and grind for the Fox Blade?

Nose Master

Blade mode during the last fight isn't hard whatsoever. It's extremely forgiving with your line, unlike
Sundowner

Sam is making me want to tear my hair out. Fuck him. I can't parry anything of his and when I want to open the boxes I can't because he slams me from the air and I get hit. :/ Any specific secondary weapons I should be using? None out of the 3 seem to be helping. Should I go back and grind for the Fox Blade?

Uh. All you do in that fight is walk towards him attacking and spam block/parry whenever he attacks . Doesn't really matter if you get the parry, just block his shit.

Revven

Hold up, distinction time.

Blade Modeing parts of the bosses =/= QTE
QTE = Button prompts appear on-screen for the player to press either rapidly or in succession to complete a scripted sequence quickly.

Blade Modeing objects requires a lot more movement and thought than mere button presses do. I don't think we should be calling those moments QTEs, even if they're a little similar, the game is built around killing foes with blade mode to begin with. If Blade Mode wasn't so integral to the game I'd be okay with calling the boss moments with it QTEs but...... it's integral to the game. :x

Deitus

The problem isn't just that if you miss you lose, but rather that it doesn't in any way convey this to the player. In previous blade mode QTEs, you could swing repeatedly in the time frame, and usually (but not always) the penalty for failing wasn't pretty much an instant kill. And at least with the Sundowner fight, it was very obvious that missing would do damage to you. In every other case in the game (except cutting off left arms), it's better to aim quickly, and go for multiple swings if you miss on the first hit rather than spend a lot of time aiming.

But on the final boss, the first several times I missed I just assumed I took too long to aim, so I kept trying to do it faster and faster (and getting careless in the process). If they could have somehow shown visually that hitting from the wrong angle was the cause of the failure it wouldn't have been so frustrating of a QTE.

Why did the achievements for the DLC VR missions show up in my achievement list when I literally can't get them because I live in America...

Oh no, a final boss that makes you try.

Unless something is wrong with your controller you shouldn't miss, they give you A LOT of time to line up your strike.

If you miss on box, its done. Doesn't matter what you progress is up until that point, you're done. That is bad design.

I agree. That's not how it should work. What it should be is if you hit the Blade Mode boxes, then the game should reward you for your success, and if you miss the blade mode boxes, it should reward you for your failture. That's reasonable.

How about you take a little bit of damage and not 100%+ for a rock hitting you?

You won't change my mind on this. I love the game, but the final boss is badly designed.

Hold up, distinction time.

Blade Modeing parts of the bosses =/= QTE
QTE = Button prompts appear on-screen for the player to press either rapidly or in succession to complete a scripted sequence quickly.

Blade Modeing objects requires a lot more movement and thought than mere button presses do. I don't think we should be calling those moments QTEs, even if they're a little similar, the game is built around killing foes with blade mode to begin with. If Blade Mode wasn't so integral to the game I'd be okay with calling the boss moments with it QTEs but...... it's integral to the game. :x

Blade mode is just an abstract form of a QTE. I am specifically talking about when the boss throws big rocks/rumble at you and magically Raiden can only cut diagonally through them in a certain direction.

Dude only cuts through EVERYTHING ELSE with ease up until that point.

Veelk

Banned
If you miss on box, its done. Doesn't matter what you progress is up until that point, you're done. That is bad design.

How about you take a little bit of damage and not 100%+ for a rock hitting you?

You won't change my mind on this. I love the game, but the final boss is badly designed.

So now your complaining about taking damage from regular attacks too, I see. (100% damage should not kill you unless you haven't upgraded your health at all)

Perhaps bosses should just start kill themselves.

I'm just messing with you if that wasn't clear, but I do agree that you should just not fail on the Blade mode part. Line them up and slash, it's not hard. And even if you do miss, I still managed to win a match after I messed up on the slashing portions.

Sephzilla

You lost because you failed to properly execute one of the core functions of the game.

Really, blade mode is like the big thing with this game. If you fail at it with the final boss of the game in his final form the price for failure should be extreme.

demidar

Ok just beat the game. Last boss wasn't as hard as other people made it out to be even though I walked in with no healing kits (playing on hard). The whole thing though? Yep, it's a Metal Gear game. The absurdity of it all is too much.

Unlocked five titles, one of them being Samurai (finish game using only HF blade) which is weird because I used a lot of sub-weapons and secondary weapons. Also unlocked two wigs.

Gonna go back and play very hard more now.

Blade mode is just an abstract form of a QTE. I am specifically talking about when the boss throws big rocks/rumble at you and magically Raiden can only cut diagonally through them in a certain direction.

Dude only cuts through EVERYTHING ELSE with ease up until that point.

I know, right? It even takes MULTIPLE STRIKES to down bosses, but his sword can cut through giant robots sometimes in a single blow. Doesn't make any sense! Ludonarrative dissonance!

You lost because you failed to properly execute one of the core functions of the game.

I lost because the game decided that a QTE should kill you in one hit when you fail it instead of being practical.

Its great that you like the game, but it has flaws and the final boss is a big one.

I know, right? It even takes MULTIPLE STRIKES to down bosses, but his sword can cut through giant robots sometimes in a single blow. Doesn't make any sense! Ludonarrative dissonance!

Yeah, thats totally what I said.

Some of you love this game too much and really can't take constructive criticism of it well huh?

demidar

They explained in a codec call, some materials are too thick to be cut through in one go, so constant attacks are needed for the HF Blade to destabalize the molecules in the target before they can be cut like butter.

At least that's the theory (lol) behind it.

Sephzilla

I lost because the game decided that a QTE should kill you in one hit when you fail it instead of being practical.

Its great that you like the game, but it has flaws and the final boss is a big one.

Yeah, thats totally what I said.

Some of you love this game too much and really can't take constructive criticism of it well huh?

Like I said in my original post. Blade mode is one of the core parts of Revengeance's gameplay. Hell, Sundowner was effectively a tutorial for the stuff you have to do against Armstrong. If you fail one of the core aspects of the game at the one point you really shouldnt be failing them then you deserve a pretty harsh punishment.

Plus if you have healing items you can survive it anyway. I don't mean to sound like a jerk but this isn't a game flaw, this is user error. It's not like they threw some barely used mechanic at you out-of-nowhere for the final boss, they made you use something you've been using the entire game.

The camera is a flaw. The stick wiggling and it's random nature is a flaw. A QTE punishing you when you fail isn't a flaw. Hell, if you have nanopaste, you'll take the hit. And if you can't handle having even a halfway decent application of one of the core mechanics of the game, you could just RUN under the junk.

Your game playing ability is flawed, and you're blaming the game for your subpar skills.

What nonsense. You could say almost anything in a game is an "abstract form" of a QTE.

You couldn't though, but this is. The fight literally stops for you to do this quickly under strict rules that are first introduced right then and there. The punishment is ultimate after that, no matter how well you are doing otherwise.

They explained in a codec call, some materials are too thick to be cut through in one go, so constant attacks are needed for the HF Blade to destabalize the molecules in the target before they can be cut like butter.

At least that's the theory (lol) behind it.

It's bullshit since you can slice something like a Mastiff in half with just a parry and a single Blade Mode swipe, haha.

Top Bottom