• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Guess Who

Banned
You couldn't though, but this is. The fight literally stops for you to do this quickly under strict rules that are first introduced right then and there. The punishment is ultimate after that, no matter how well you are doing otherwise.

It's not introduced then and there. It's the same blade mode you've been using the entire game. Every time you've done a Zandatsu it's the same damn mechanic.

demidar

Sure you're not trying to wiggle the stick? Line the slice up with the rectangles and just let the stick go so it will flick in to default position. It's far, far more accurate then wiggling.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, thats totally what I said.

Some of you love this game too much and really can't take constructive criticism of it well huh?

I just think it's lame how haphazardly people throw the phrase "bad design" around to describe anything they didn't like or understand about the game.

Instead of just learning and dealing with things

Blade mode is just an abstract form of a QTE. I am specifically talking about when the boss throws big rocks/rumble at you and magically Raiden can only cut diagonally through them in a certain direction.

Dude only cuts through EVERYTHING ELSE with ease up until that point.

There are several instances when the game prompts you to use Blade Mode, but you don't actually have to use blade mode. It's entirely possible to use regular attacks achieve the desired effect, or it's possible to simply move out of the way.

Having to cut stuff properly in Metal Gear Rising is a QTE? What kind of absurd shit is this. That is like saying you are performing a QTE every time you correctly hit the box and Zandatsu in the game.

Edit: The final boss is great. It tests pretty much everything the game is about. It is the definition of a great last boss.

Ragus

Banned
Fuck me, I'm still waiting for my copy. I even downloaded Vanquish from PS+ to ease my pain.

And to tell you the truth, this game is fucking awesome. Is Rising in the same league?

katkombat

Banned
Uh. All you do in that fight is walk towards him attacking and spam block/parry whenever he attacks . Doesn't really matter if you get the parry, just block his shit.

Thanks. Much easier to block, then if I get hit when he strikes twice I can recover in the air by pressing A (which I just realized). Got him to 32.4% so I seem to be doing much better.
Also realized that there's 4 healing items rather than 2.

The camera is a flaw. The stick wiggling and it's random nature is a flaw. A QTE punishing you when you fail isn't a flaw. Hell, if you have nanopaste, you'll take the hit. And if you can't handle having even a halfway decent application of one of the core mechanics of the game, you could just RUN under the junk.

Your game playing ability is flawed, and you're blaming the game for your subpar skills.

I didn't have nano paste at that point, and there is no way to get it without leaving the fight and redoing the level.

How can you run under the junk?

I'm going to assume you've skipped every single boss fight and major encounter in the game, if you truly think this.

If you are talking about Sundowner, you never even have to cut his shields to beat him.

If you miss on box, its done. Doesn't matter what you progress is up until that point, you're done. That is bad design.

How about you take a little bit of damage and not 100%+ for a rock hitting you?

You won't change my mind on this. I love the game, but the final boss is badly designed.

Blade mode is just an abstract form of a QTE. I am specifically talking about when the boss throws big rocks/rumble at you and magically Raiden can only cut diagonally through them in a certain direction.

Dude only cuts through EVERYTHING ELSE with ease up until that point.
How can you miss that? It is INCREDIBLY easy to hit! Also it isn't a rock.

Sephzilla

I didn't have nano paste at that point, and there is no way to get it without leaving the fight and redoing the level.

You can ninja run away from them instead of blade mode cutting them. But if you blade mode cut them, they drop nanopaste.

If you are talking about Sundowner, you never even have to cut his shields to beat him.

So did you ignore the part where Boris said you can use blade mode to cut his shield?

Dariso

Neo Member
How about you take a little bit of damage and not 100%+ for a rock hitting you?

You won't change my mind on this. I love the game, but the final boss is badly designed.

Can't you just dodge the rocks and avoid having to cut them?. Never did try it though so i don't know if its possible. At least they reward you with nanopaste if you manage to do it, but getting killed if you fail to do it is really annoying.
Wonder if they can fix the camera, it does get crazy when fighting several enemies. Even with the final boss at times it was bad. But overall amazing game and amazing what platinum accomplished here with such a short dev cycle.

Actually, if you cut the stuff the final boss throws at you correctly, several nanopastes drop for you to pick up. That's a major incentive to cut the blocks instead of running to the side.

Veelk

Banned
It's bullshit since you can slice something like a Mastiff in half with just a parry and a single Blade Mode swipe, haha.

Don't you hit it with the parry then, destabilizing the molecules? I'm sure someone can find some way to prove this theory is BS, but your example seems consistant with the 'theory'.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

You get 4 nanopastes for completing the rock cutting section, an top of doing a chunk to the boss himself

So there's a big reward if you're able to cut through all 4 rocks. I think the risk reward is appropriately balanced.

You don't need to do any of the bosses zandatsu gimmicks to beat them. Including the last boss. I think that was his point.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
DAT
Sam
Battle. Once you get into it, it becomes pretty fun. Didn't no damage it, but I'm sure I'll be able to on Revengence if I could reach the items for S-rank no-damage with no issue. :(

Guess Who

Banned
It is badly designed, and I have articulated why.

All your reasons are nonsense. "If I fall in a pit in a Mario game, no matter what I've done up to that point, I die. BAD DESIGN. Any time you have to press a button to do a thing is a QTE. They're totally shoving new rules into the game at the last moment and not just challenging me by testing my mastery of a mechanic that's been present throughout the entire game."

You can ninja run away from them instead of blade mode cutting them. But if you blade mode cut them, they drop nanopaste.
Just perform Ninja Run and start running before the game slows down. The game doesn't lock you into standing still (that's how it's also not a QTE).

I see, thank you. In that case you are right, it is not a QTE.

So did you ignore the part where Boris said you can use blade mode to cut his shield?

No, It just didn't fit into my play style. It slowed the momentum of the fight for me, so I beat him traditionally by parrying his attacks and striking afterward.

No, but that IS what the game assumes you're going to do. I understand people complaining about the final boss' difficulty or how long it takes to finally win. But claiming that he introduces a brand-new mechanic for the first time in that fight is a blatant lie that deserves to be called out.

Don't you hit it with the parry then, destabilizing the molecules? I'm sure someone can find some way to prove this theory is BS, but your example seems consistant with the 'theory'.

That's a hell of a parry, then! :p When I say BS, I mean it's all just dumb video game logic that I'm 100% OK with.

At least this is finally a game where you can slice dudes in half, like a real sword. This is the best Star Wars game in years, like that. :p

Flo_Evans

Final Boss is awesome.

You really need to practice more in blade mode and not just spam it if you are having trouble with that section.

Hell you get like 5 health packs if you do it right.

Guys don't you know, lining up to cut red square boxes in Metal Gear Rising is a mechanic that is ONLY introduced in the final boss obviously. It is pretty much a QTE!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It is badly designed, and I have articulated why.

an opinion formed without being fully aware of every aspect of the thing you're criticizing.(you didn't know it was avoidable)

Which is what I was saying in my initial post. People just throw the term around and half the time don't even know what they're talking about

Guys don't you know, lining up to cut red square boxes in Metal Gear Rising is a mechanic that is ONLY introduced in the final boss obviously. It is pretty much a QTE!

You don't have to be an asshole just because you disagree. It it never introduced that if you fail a blade mode sequence you die instantly(In most cases).

Skipped learning blade mode the entire game and is now surprised/frustrated when Final boss challenges you to use it

priceless

I didn't skip using blade mode? That fuck? I used it all the time, any chance I got in fact.

an opinion formed without being fully aware of every aspect of the thing you're criticizing.(you didn't know it was avoidable)

Which is what I was saying in my initial post. People just throw the term around and half the time don't even know what they're talking about

If it was indeed mandatory, then yes it is badly designed.

I absolutely love this game, no doubt about it. There are, however, several flaws that need correcting in the sequel.

1) Shitty camera. How does this camera get stuck so goddamn much? It's ridiculous. VR missions are extremely difficult due to the camera.
2) Weapon switching system. How the fuck is this not on-the-fly? At the very least, allow the swapping of weapons when moving. Having to stand perfectly still is stupid.
3) Off-screen projectiles and attacks without a visual cue or warning.

I believe a sequel could fix everything wrong with the game though.

Veelk

Banned
You don't have to be an asshole just because you disagree. It it never introduced that if you fail a blade mode sequence you die instantly(In most cases).

You keep saying you die instantly. Did you really not upgrade your lifebar at ALL? I could take one of those hits and still have 60% life left and I think I had a total of 150% or so.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

The Monsoon fight has an actual QTE that is instadeath

Sephzilla

He's the final boss of the game and all of his normal moves do wicked amounts of damage. Why would you assume that his giant super attack wouldn't completely destroy you, though?

You keep saying you die instantly. Did you really not upgrade your lifebar at ALL? I could take one of those hits and still have 60% life left and I think I had a total of 150% or so.

My max is 180%, I am playing on hard. I was either left with 15% or so, or nothing at all.

Dying on one hit like that is bullshit, even if you know what you're supposed to do. It didn't bother me, because stuff like that doesn't (unless it keeps happening again and again, which it didn't), but it is bad.

It's not a 100 percent damage

Managed to get to the slicing segment without taking any damage on hard mode. screwed up the second slash because I forgot to adjust the left analog stick to move the camera up as well as line up the slash with the right stick.

Took major major damage, but I survived.

Granted getting to that point without getting hit isnt easy

Duelist

No, but that IS what the game assumes you're going to do. I understand people complaining about the final boss' difficulty or how long it takes to finally win. But claiming that he introduces a brand-new mechanic for the first time in that fight is a blatant lie that deserves to be called out.

And, in contrast, if the game did force you to master the blade mode mechanic during the Sundowner fight instead of offering you multiple ways to beat it, guess what we call that?

Bad design.

It's such an easy argument to throw around.

No, but you are punished. And the punishment for not completing the blade mode sequence that you should be good at by the time you're at the end of the game is acceptable since you're in the last fight of the game.

ViviOggi

That is just factually wrong. The fact that if you miss the blade mode QTE, you lose, is bad design by nature.

The final boss is garbage.

How is that factually wrong? If it was a random button QTE out of nowhere like in Bayo I'd agree, but using blade mode cutting is something you've been taught over the whole game. You die if you fail it, I don't see any cheapness in that.

Flo_Evans

That's a hell of a parry, then! :p When I say BS, I mean it's all just dumb video game logic that I'm 100% OK with.

At least this is finally a game where you can slice dudes in half, like a real sword. This is the best Star Wars game in years, like that. :p

Makes me want a new Bushido Blade so bad...

NIN90

That is just factually wrong. The fact that if you miss the blade mode QTE, you lose, is bad design by nature.

The final boss is garbage.

It's not even a QTE. It demands skills you should have picked up over the course of the game. It's your own fault if you fail.

Top Bottom