• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Deitus

I am assuming the spire thing?

Not sure if that part is also an instant death, but its the final bit where Raiden leaps at Monsoon in midair, and the counter prompt (Triangle + Circle) pops up. You either counter it and win the fight, or you fail and you lose the fight. Completely binary, and total bullshit.

Not sure if that part is also an instant death, but its the final bit where Raiden leaps at Monsoon in midair, and the counter prompt (Triangle + Circle) pops up. You either counter it and win the fight, or you fail and you lose the fight. Completely binary, and total bullshit.

I agree QTEs are dumb but don't all of the instant death ones in this game checkpoint immediately prior to it? Unlike Bayonetta I don't think I have actually died to a QTE in this game as well. Still dumb that they are there though!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
My max is 180%, I am playing on hard. I was either left with 15% or so, or nothing at all.

You're playing on Hard, so it's hard. You need to suck it up and replay the chapter (it's not that long) and max out your pastes. Don't use any until the final phase of the boss fight. Then you'll have plenty of chances to practice successfully cutting the giant debris chunks and will be rewarded with more pastes.

I was angry at the boss at first too, but I learned what I needed to do, got better at it, and then won.

Sephzilla

For the Monsoon fight they put a checkpoint right before it though, so in all actuality by the time you actually reach the spire point in the Monsoon fight you've already won.

Deitus

I agree QTEs are dumb but don't all of the instant death ones in this game checkpoint immediately prior to it?

Not that one. I had to start the boss fight over from the start.

Edit - I think. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. But if it did give me a checkpoint, then it gave me an automatic D for that fight because it doesn't count any BP you've earned prior to a restart.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I agree QTEs are dumb but don't all of the instant death ones in this game checkpoint immediately prior to it? Unlike Bayonetta I don't think I have actually died to a QTE in this game as well. Still dumb that they are there though!

Yes, I just played that fight on very hard last night and lost that QTE. You just play that sequence again right away. No big deal.

The Monsoon one, at least, gives you a checkpoint right before the QTE. It's a weird decision to have a QTE right at the end like that, but the checkpoint right there was a nice touch.

Edit - I think. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. But if it did give me a checkpoint, then it gave me an automatic D for that fight because it doesn't count any BP you've earned prior to a restart.

I am pretty sure that when you hit "the end" (before the finishing QTE, like 10% health or whatever) of any boss fight in the game it checkpoints immediately.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

That didn't happen.

Edit - I think. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong. But if it did give me a checkpoint, then it gave me an automatic D for that fight because it doesn't count any BP you've earned prior to a restart

That did happen.

Same thing happens in the Sundowner fight if you fail the flying section afterwards

I prefer what happens in the final boss fight personally

Revven

I lost that particular QTE the other day and yes, it checkpoints right before it. So no you don't start the whole fight over again.

Deitus

I am pretty sure that when you hit "the end" (before the finishing QTE) of any boss fight in the game it checkpoints immediately.

Yeah, as I'm thinking about it I'm pretty sure you are right. Still hate that I did fairly well in the fight itself, at least good enough to earn a B, but since I failed a QTE I get a D rank.

I didn't skip using blade mode? That fuck? I used it all the time, any chance I got in fact.

If it was indeed mandatory, then yes it is badly designed.

mashing it and learning how to use it are 2 different things.

if you learned how to use it properly, the rock segment shouldn't be an issue.

And if it was an issue, then if you stick with it and learn what you did wrong, you will master it right then and there.

In fact I was grateful for that segment because they actually dropped health.

I too had a problem with the section, but once you realize that you have to adjust the camera with the left stick along with the slash indicator with the right stick it super easy

It becomes the part you look forward too.
Gotta love nano machine repair units

Sephzilla

Hmmm is it possible to beat the final boss completely disarmed?

I wondered that too. I doubt it though, what probably happens is that after a certain % of his health is gone he just does an animation to trigger the next sequence, similar to what he does if you avoid him for a couple minutes.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Yeah, as I'm thinking about it I'm pretty sure you are right. Still hate that I did fairly well in the fight itself, at least good enough to earn a B, but since I failed a QTE I get a D rank.

If it affects your ranking, that does indeed fucking suck, but those boss-ending QTEs really aren't hard at all, especially if you know they're coming, (which you most likely do if you're playing for ranks).

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I lost that particular QTE the other day and yes, it checkpoints right before it. So no you don't start the whole fight over again.

you do lose your rank for the prior section though.

and since you can't redo the fight you get an automatic D no matter what.

I mean it's a non issue after the first time, but I think it's pretty lame that it works that way. I'd rather just do the whole fight over

I think the "bad design" brigade would have a much better argument latching onto those sections over the final boss encounter, which is absolutely fine as is.(although im not sure if the encounter ending QTE of that fight has a fail state)

Resilient

Lol wtf, I played on hard and only had 140% and those rocks never one hit me when I messed up the slicing. Cambria, this type of complaining is the worst. The entire game revolves around blade mode, the Sundowner fight tells you to line up your slices, and there are many instances where you're required to quickly Slice things in front of you or be punished. The game isn't at fault here , ESPECIALLY considering its the final boss.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Lol wtf, I played on hard and only had 140% and those rocks never one hit me when I messed up the slicing. Cambria, this type of complaining is the worst. The entire game revolves around blade mode, the Sundowner fight tells you to line up your slices, and there are many instances where you're required to quickly Slice things in front of you or be punished. The game isn't at fault here , ESPECIALLY considering its the final boss.

The rocks didn't hit you when you messed up the slicing? Is that possible? What does "messed up" mean here?

demidar

I wondered that too. I doubt it though, what probably happens is that after a certain % of his health is gone he just does an animation to trigger the next sequence, similar to what he does if you avoid him for a couple minutes.

Yeah you might be right. Damn shame, excellent place to put in a trophy.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'd love it if someone made a high-quality replica of the HF blade. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

It's not even an issue of the final boss being too hard, but everything else in the game being way too easy. Every mechanic required to beat him is something you're rewarded for using in the rest of the game, but since you're never adequately challenged on the default difficulties it feels like you're just being punished on the final level. The only other "test" the game gives the player is the bladewolf fight, and enough people complained about the "difficulty spike" there as well.

I disagree that it's bad game design, though, because the final boss does require you to use all the systems in one way or another. Just think of him as the graduation test for the default difficulties, because everything you do in that fight is vital on Very Hard and Revengeance.

I suppose maybe if you don't take any damage up until that point. Outside of sundowner, where being that accurate (More, even) is optional, the game doesn't require you to be that accurate at all.

I guess i'll just dodge them though. I didn't know that was an option until a few minutes ago.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
you do lose your rank for the prior section though.

and since you can't redo the fight you get an automatic D no matter what.

I mean it's a non issue after the first time, but I think it's pretty lame that it works that way. I'd rather just do the whole fight over

I think the "bad design" brigade would have a much better argument latching onto those sections over the final boss encounter, which is absolutely fine as is.(although im not sure if the encounter ending QTE of that fight has a fail state)

Yeah, if it ruins your rank and you can't just start the whole fight over easily, that's certainly unfriendly design at the least, given that they wanted people to achieve high ranks and restarting segments is pretty essential to the process.

MormaPope

Banned
LOL!

Perfect parried Sam on Revengeance difficulty with the fully upgraded muramasa blade and ended the fight in under a minute. I absolutely adore that can happen.

Combat results say it took 54 seconds, hilariously awesome.

ViviOggi

It's not even an issue of the final boss being too hard, but everything else in the game being way too easy. Every mechanic required to beat him is something you're rewarded for using in the rest of the game, but since you're never adequately challenged on the default difficulties it feels like you're just being punished on the final level. The only other "test" the game gives the player is the bladewolf fight, and enough people complained about the "difficulty spike" there as well.

I disagree that it's bad game design, though, because the final boss does require you to use all the systems in one way or another. Just think of him as the graduation test for the default difficulties, because everything you do in that fight is vital on Very Hard and Revengeance.

My thoughts exactly.

MormaPope

Banned
I suppose maybe if you don't take any damage up until that point. Outside of sundowner, where being that accurate (More, even) is optional, the game doesn't require you to be that accurate at all.

I guess i'll just dodge them though. I didn't know that was an option until a few minutes ago.

Move the camera while in blade mode when you have to do the diagonal cuts, makes the cuts actually possible.

Midou

Yeah, if it ruins your rank and you can't just start the whole fight over easily, that's certainly unfriendly design at the least, given that they wanted people to achieve high ranks and restarting segments is pretty essential to the process.

Bayonetta did this shit too, kind of. Something like 95% of my deaths were missing a QTE.

ironcreed

Banned
I have to agree with CambriaRising. I loved the game up until the final boss. I felt that the entire sequence was bloated (but hilarious), and after being drove up the wall by the stun locks and blade mode QTE insta-death, I finally just tossed in the towel and sent it back to Gamefly. Did not care if I beat it or not. Still a decent game for the most part, but it does not hold a candle to Bayonetta.

Sephzilla

Aren't pretty much all of the quick time events in MGR simply just a matter of hitting Triangle + Square?

If you're going for S ranks then I highly doubt it's your first play through of the game.... you should really be aware that those are coming.

MormaPope

Banned
Bayonetta did this shit too, kind of. Something like 95% of my deaths were missing a QTE.

Problem with Bayonetta QTE's is they would happen at random times during a cutscene. The QTE's in Rising are very easily predictable. Huge thing about to crush Raiden? Y+B or Triangle + Circle.

I have to agree with CambriaRising. I loved the game up until the final boss. I felt that the entire sequence was bloated (but hilarious), and after being drove up the wall by the stun locks and blade mode QTE insta-death, I finally just tossed in the towel and sent it back to Gamefly. Did not care if I beat it or not. Still a decent game for the most part, but it does not hold a candle to Bayonetta.

Opinions and all, I think Rising is the better game.

MattyH

the one thing i really love is if you fuck up and get a whupping as punishment it doesnt deter you from playing the game it makes you look back and think ok i fucked up so i need to change tactics

Deitus

Aren't pretty much all of the quick time events in MGR simply just a matter of hitting Triangle + Square?

If you're going for S ranks then I highly doubt it's your first play through of the game.... you should really be aware that those are coming.

The difference between an S rank and D rank shouldn't be a single button press. And even if you weren't going to get an S, getting a D for a decent run is obnoxious.

Sephzilla

The difference between an S rank and D rank shouldn't be a single button press. And even if you weren't going to get an S, getting a D for a decent run is obnoxious.

If you fail a QTE where the button input is the exact same thing every time, you know its coming, the game gives you a fairly respectable window of time to input it, you deserve the D rank. Honestly, it's not like the QTEs in MGR are blink-and-you'll-miss-it fast.

Deitus

If you fail a QTE where the button input is the exact same thing every time, you know its coming, the game gives you a fairly respectable window of time to input it, you deserve the D rank. Honestly, it's not like the QTEs in MGR are blink-and-you'll-miss-it fast.

Doesn't matter to me. I'm of the mind that QTEs should never effect rank in a game ever, unless that game is Asura's Wrath (because really, that's the game).

I'd rather they not be there at all, but if they have to exist, they shouldn't be part of the ranking system, or they should be possible to disable on later playthroughs.

Edit - Also, I think "Press X to not die" is something that should just not exist in games ever, regardless of checkpointing.

Sephzilla

Doesn't matter to me. I'm of the mind that QTEs should never effect rank in a game ever, unless that game is Asura's Wrath (because really, that's the game).

I'd rather they not be there at all, but if they have to exist, they shouldn't be part of the ranking system, or they should be possible to disable on later playthroughs.

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I'm of the mindset where the QTE's in MGR are all the same two button input that all happen right at the end of boss fights and are fairly telegraphed.

If I have a brain lapse that big I deserve the slap on the wrist.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally.

risingxupo1.jpg

Move the camera while in blade mode when you have to do the diagonal cuts, makes the cuts actually possible.

I've been telling everyone having an issue with that segment the same thing.

Either they are waiting to try it before commenting, or they are just ignoring me so they can continue to complain.

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but I'd love it if someone made a high-quality replica of the HF blade. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

DUDE

Metal Gear Rising Staff Receives Real HF Blade

If the game pulled a Murai and gave you a ridiculously hard boss on the first level, would that be more acceptable? It just feels like you're complaining about not passing the final for a college class because the professor didn't take roll the entire semester so you didn't ever attend. That wall in the game was going to come sooner or later, it could've been an earlier boss battle or a specific encounter or a higher difficulty, it just happened to be at the final boss and I don't think it's necessarily an issue with the boss design itself.

Deitus

I guess we'll agree to disagree then. I'm of the mindset where the QTE's in MGR are all the same two button input that all happen right at the end of boss fights and are fairly telegraphed.

If I have a brain lapse that big I deserve the slap on the wrist.

But, unlike any other mistake you can make in any combat scenario in the game, failing a QTE cannot be undone. If you take damage in combat, Restart and try again at the last checkpoint. Take too long to finish a fight, don't get enough Zandatsus, or just have a low combat score, restart and try the fight again. Fail a QTE, get an instant D, have to start the level over again from the start. That's not a slap on the wrist. The oversight of failing the QTE might be dumb (on a second playthrough at least), but the punishment is disproportionate.

Veelk

Banned
I'm still amazed that no developer ever thought to put in a custom difficulty setting, where the player can set his own stats on enemy aggression, damage output, set ups, etc. It wouldn't even be hard to implement, just have a select boxes for stuff.

QTE: On/Off
Cinematic Finishers: On/Off
Enemy Aggression: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Set up: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Player Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc

Stuff like that would be christmas for all players.

Top Bottom