• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Courtney worked well to brief the player on previous Metal Gears and to give some context to the several year gap between this game and MGS4.

She had a few funny conversations, like the one on Mistral, the one about Raiden's "amazing" body, and I smiled whenever she said "Save it for your wife, Raiden". And she seemed like a foodie, which reminded me of Paramedic.

Maybe I didn't speak to her enough, then. I never really got a sense for her personality. I could say the same about Boris, I suppose, but at least he had that great scene in R-000 with the turret.

Hystzen

Boris is a gun nut he LOVESSS guns

Boris talks more abut PMC's after SOP and how he started Maverick also talks in detail about sub weapons

Monocle

I'm still amazed that no developer ever thought to put in a custom difficulty setting, where the player can set his own stats on enemy aggression, damage output, set ups, etc. It wouldn't even be hard to implement, just have a select boxes for stuff.

QTE: On/Off
Cinematic Finishers: On/Off
Enemy Aggression: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Set up: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Player Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc

Stuff like that would be christmas for all players.
This would be so great.

the one thing i really love is if you fuck up and get a whupping as punishment it doesnt deter you from playing the game it makes you look back and think ok i fucked up so i need to change tactics

Yeah. When I first got to the final fight with the fire and whatnot, I was essentially getting one-shotted in seconds. Like, I'd get hit, then fly into a column of fire and die, never even getting to the block throwing sequence.

I went from having that happen to getting through the first phase, acquiring nanopaste from the blocks and beating him in one go. It' so satisfying when you realize how everything that happens is surmountable in some way.

joe2187

Banned
I hope this game gets better. It is sort of crappy.

iJoIq6CBANmIs.gif

No u

dan2026

After completing this game twice, I have to admit that the combat in this game system is inferior to Bayonetta's in several ways.

I feel ill equipped to handle multiple enemies in this, probably down to the stilted dodging and the close camera.

Blade mode is an interesting gimmick, but I feel it ends up slowing the game down more than it gives you a visceral feel. Not to mention it destroys the frame rate.

The bosses are the definite highlight of the experience.

If you combined MGSR bosses with Bayonetta combat, I think something very special could be created.

NotLiquid

I can't say I'd want Metal Gear Rising to take from Bayonetta's combat. What I like about the game is just how much it isn't like that game and shows that Platinum can innovate on new concepts even when their field of expertise has practically been perfected. It's a different design philosophy and the game does a fantastic job in making you feel empowered.

What the game could do is expand some movement options and have more combos and some better scoring, but this is stuff that I'm expecting to be refined for the sequel.

Would be cool if you could do some wall running.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Whoever put those explosive physics barrels in Mistral's final stage is a C-U-N-T. Hurt that individuals genitals please, Platinum staff. Hurt them until they promise to never do such a thing to impede a no damage run like that.

MormaPope

Banned
I'd want them to add parrying for your side weapon, like if you do a perfect parry with the pole arm you do hefty area damage instead of critical damage to one individual.

Whoever put those explosive physics barrels in Mistral's final stage is a C-U-N-T. Hurt that individuals genitals please, Platinum staff. Hurt them until they promise to never do such a thing to impede a no damage run like that.

If you could throw/kick objects at enemies, then they'd be awesome. As is, they just get in the way.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If you could throw/kick objects at enemies, then they'd be awesome. As is, they just get in the way.

I thought I had a master stroke and fired off a rocket at the barrel as you start out. Instead it just bounced into an even more inconvenient place mid arena.

Finally no-damage run'd her on Very Hard though. I think I almost lost my mind though after each barrel explosion and 3% health loss.

jett

D-Member
I thought I had a master stroke and fired off a rocket at the barrel as you start out. Instead it just bounced into an even more inconvenient place mid arena.

Finally no-damage run'd her on Very Hard though. I think I almost lost my mind though after each barrel explosion and 3% health loss.

Hard is good enough if you're looking for the trophies.

McNum

And game complete. Yay.

Beat the final boss on my first try, even. On Normal, granted, but still, I got a little lucky, maybe. Or I'd just read this thread too much.

About the final chapter:
Metal Gear Excelus was an awesome, awesome fight. Even parrying will not save you, so dodge. Dodge like your life depended on it, because it does. And then you suplex it. Hey Sabin? Raiden is challenging your rep here.

And the final boss:
Armstrog packs a punch! Literally. The fistfight was kind of neat, but the warmup fights were just a little on the dull side. Fun to fight unarmed, though. Then the main even against me 200% Health himself. I came in with three nanopastes, so it wasn't too bad, even if I did get smaked with his debris toss a couple of times. I mess up in when to activate blade mode. I had plenty of time to line it up, though, been using manual blade mode all game. Pick angle with the right analog, pick position with left analog. Cut, Cut, Cut... "HI!" Cut. With the four nanopastes you get from that, and dodging like a madman, he's not that overwhelming. I bet he's a real pain on harder difficulties, though. If he didn't stop to catch his breath occasionally and went all out he'd be a terror to fight.

As is, I beat him on my first try. Those four nanopastes are really useful here.

Overall, I'm happy with the game. It takes the idea "Wouldn't it be cool to play as Raiden and do all the stuff he did in MGS4 yourself?" and goes "Screw that! We're going to make it even MORE awesome!" From opening to final blow, it really is a rollercoaster ride. And a wonderfully silly story that really is a means to an end to get as many crazy enemies in Raiden's path so he can cut them. And cut them good he does!

The camera could be a bit better, and the usefulness of the dodge move is not readily apparent,but it really is so, so important to learn how to use. If not, you will die, especially in he final chapter.

Oh, and here's a little dirty trick I found. If you pick "Restart" from the pause menu, you get punted back to last checkpoint as you were back then, but with full health and power. So... what if you end up in a boss fight badly damaged and out of power? Press Start, choose Restart. Free heal, and it doesn't even count as a continue used.

EDIT: Also, I need BP for more upgrades. Any chapter you would recommend for that? Or can you earn them in VR missions, too?

Dawg

Well, I'm having a bit of a problem with dodge. It's square+X, which sounds easy, but sometimes Raiden dodges and sometimes, he does like a sidewards attack.

I've always been horrible with multiple button attacks though.

McNum

The dodge is a jumping sidewards attack if you hold to the side. It's supposed to look like that. You're invincible for the first moments of the dodge, very important to know.

HYDE

Banned
At 21 hours playing this game...without using a guide. I just unlocked the
stun blades
...awesome. I own the levels now!

Mubbed

I see people charge up attacks prepping for spawns in VR mode. How can you recognize what side of the map is the spawn zone?

Carbonox

I see people charge up attacks prepping for spawns in VR mode. How can you recognize what side of the map is the spawn zone?

Replaying the VR missions. AFAIK they never change. So you can play through once to test out where the spawns are and then know when to charge and where for repeated plays.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Damn, I'm jealous... All I have is this..

Is that a press copy? I have one too, but I like to show my support for games I love and still pick it up legit.

mujun

You better voice your opinion better than that, you're about to get Zandatsued hard.

Graphics, story, level design, metal gear trappings (highly subjective) and even the combat at the early stage I'm at.

Oh and the art design of the environments.

Still early days of course.

jett

D-Member

You guess and hope for the best. :p They never change but you end up disoriented after each wave it doesn't really matter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, these VR missions are really unfun. I love the Story Mode but having to deal with unupgraded Raiden is a pain in the ass.

jett

D-Member
Man, these VR missions are really unfun. I love the Story Mode but having to deal with unupgraded Raiden is a pain in the ass.

Yeah they really messed up. I can't qualify any of the VR missions in the game as fun, or as anything I'd ever want to replay after I get 1st place. Makes me weary of the DLC pack.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah they really messed up. I can't qualify any of the VR missions in the game as fun, or as anything I'd ever want to replay after I get 1st place. Makes me weary of the DLC pack.

I think the DLC pack will fare better since they're supposed to be goofier ones, like a fighting game mode and controlling a Gekko. It's also only going to be $3 so I figure it's worth a shot.

Guess Who

Banned
Oh, and here's a little dirty trick I found. If you pick "Restart" from the pause menu, you get punted back to last checkpoint as you were back then, but with full health and power. So... what if you end up in a boss fight badly damaged and out of power? Press Start, choose Restart. Free heal, and it doesn't even count as a continue used.

This is the story of how I beat the game with no continues on my first try.

Well, I'm having a bit of a problem with dodge. It's square+X, which sounds easy, but sometimes Raiden dodges and sometimes, he does like a sidewards attack.

I've always been horrible with multiple button attacks though.

That's the forward dodge, which is also invincible. If you are holding the direction before the dodge command Raiden turns and just performs a forward dodge towards that direction, instead of facing the original direction and dodging to either side. It's much more consistent if you can lock on (R2), and the game has a consistent target for directional inputs. If you don't input a direction and just press square+X he'll do a dodge backwards, which is good enough for avoiding stuff like mastiff grabs, and probably better against overhead yellow hammer swings because if you dodge to the side Raiden tries to get behind the hammer cyborg instead of away from him, and you might eat the attack.

Endo Punk

I see the cyborgs hiding in boxes don't run away when found. Should I cut off their heads or not... Hmmm... Nah, my sword is a tool of justice.

Soodanim

I think I'm done with this game. More to the point, I've burned out and/or hit a wall that I'm not really willing to climb. I've unlocked most things (although I haven't even used the
stun blade or wooden sword
), but I'm not at this time willing to put in the effort to do some of the mental stuff the platinum trophy requires, like Revengeance S ranks (even with the overpowered items you can equip).

I've not even played much of Very Hard, because for me a game loses its fun when it becomes a game of doing either incredibly well or failing horribly, fighting the camera just as much as the 3 Mastiffs and a Gekko that have you stun and grab locked in a corner. The same goes for the VR missions outside of route planning ones that are either a case of not getting hit and getting through it with a gold or getting hit and dying (in the case of the later ones).

Yes, I fall slightly victim to button mashing, and I obviously do better without it, but it's such a trial and error grind on anything above Hard where everything is a rocket launcher or Mastiff that jumps off screen and lands on your face.

It is fun to Grey Fox up and make short work and many pieces out of the fuckers that killed you, though.

Having said all of that, I'm looking forward to the DLC. Hopefully there are more original or at least not just ridiculously hard fighting ones. I know it's Rising and not Solid, but you can get through half of the game's sections stealthily if you want.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Do we have an estimated arrival date on any of the DLC packs (30 VR missions, Sam or Bladewolf)?

No but Platinum's recent blog post suggests that VR missions is coming soon and that Sam's chapter is completed for the most part.

I heard something about 2 achievements being added to the 360 version regarding the extra DLC VR missions. Is this true? And if so, will 360 players get the DLC before too long after all?

Getting stunned is honestly even more bullshit than the camera. I just wiggle the stick as fast as I can and hope for the best.
I was under the impression that you needed to move it left and right, but I've seen people say rotating it works too. I can do the latter without changing the position of my hands, but not the former.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So, where would one go for BP?

Any chapters you'd recommend?

Chapter 2 when you first encounter a GRAD. On the opposite side of the room from where you start there's a chest with a 5000 BP chip in it. If you grab that and go into the customization menu it'll save the BP you got and when you exit the menu it restarts the checkpoint and the chest respawns. Repeat indefinitely.

Top Bottom