• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

But, unlike any other mistake you can make in any combat scenario in the game, failing a QTE cannot be undone. If you take damage in combat, Restart and try again at the last checkpoint. Take too long to finish a fight, don't get enough Zandatsus, or just have a low combat score, restart and try the fight again. Fail a QTE, get an instant D, have to start the level over again from the start. That's not a slap on the wrist. The oversight of failing the QTE might be dumb (on a second playthrough at least), but the punishment is disproportionate.

EDIT: nvm

If the game pulled a Murai and gave you a ridiculously hard boss on the first level, would that be more acceptable? It just feels like you're complaining about not passing the final for a college class because the professor didn't take roll the entire semester so you didn't ever attend. That wall in the game was going to come sooner or later, it could've been an earlier boss battle or a specific encounter or a higher difficulty, it just happened to be at the final boss and I don't think it's necessarily an issue with the boss design itself.
Murai is piss easy on all difficulties.

Resilient

If it's really too hard, just play another game. It sounds like the only way you'd be satisfied is if the game held your hand at this point and said "Precisely strike with blade mode using the right stick!"

branny

That reminds me. I really like the blade designs in this game. Looking in the credits, it seems some knife company helped with their conception.

It's reminiscent of the outsourced LED light effects in TTT2 that also stood out to me for some weird reason, lol.

By the way, the LE guide is really, really nice. You guys showing it off in the photos are going to love it. <3

If it's really too hard, just play another game. It sounds like the only way you'd be satisfied is if the game held your hand at this point and said "Precisely strike with blade mode using the right stick and left stick!"

Fixed

...for Final Boss and all those who didnt learn how to properly use it

Robot Pants

Man this boss blade mode argument is getting out of hand. It definitely isn't designed as well as it should be. Look at the countless people in this thread that had problems with it.
If anything though it shouldn't kill you in one hit. It should deal serious damage and they should keep coming until you are dead from 2-3 of them hitting you, but on easy - hard it shouldn't be a one hit kill.
Very Hard and Revengeance, absolutely.

It's not even a QTE. It demands skills you should have picked up over the course of the game. It's your own fault if you fail.

Incorrect the entire game allows you to free slash at will, hitting a small box is not practice for that as you can slash at that box a million times. All of a sudden the game asking you to do a precise slash when the game is not built for precise slashing is moronic. The sticks do not work well for that.

Hystzen

Incorrect the entire game allows you to free slash at will, hitting a small box is not practice for that as you can slash at that box a million times. All of a sudden the game asking you to do a precise slash when the game is not built for precise slashing is moronic. The sticks do not work well for that.

Apart from you don't really need be that precise it lets you off quite a lot

Carbonox

I'm going through Hard mode again to finish up the collectible shite but also trying to do the Codecs and no-damage bosses. I'm on Mistral and did the first phase without taking a hit. Upon the start of the second phase I saved and quit because I didn't have time to play. When I fire the game back up and hit Continue, will I be where I saved? Don't wanna do the first phase again. :lol

NotLiquid

From the moment you fight Mistral it's established that at some points you have to do precision slashes to cripple the enemy, whether it's a picky area or not. When you battle Sundowner, it's pretty much a necessity unless you constantly wailed at him from behind and didn't trigger his second form. You're introduced to the concept of having to align your sword with all the boxes and Boris even tells you this through codec. What the final boss does is no exception.

The problem, as has been previously mentioned, is that the game before it is far much easier than the final boss. The game presents a big difficulty spike in the final hour and it's a good design decision to have a "final exam boss". It's just not as well balanced.

NinjaJesus

Move the camera while in blade mode when you have to do the diagonal cuts, makes the cuts actually possible.

It also helps to know that you don't have to "flick" the analog stick in the other direction to do the cut. You just line it up and let the stick go. I was having a hard time until I found this out, then I beat him on the first try.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
They messed up on Sundowner moreso than the final boss IMO. The slices on him are much harder, but you don't get punished as harshly. The problem is you can skip it entirely and just hit his back the whole time, making the final boss the first time something like that happens for a lot of people.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"IF YOU AREN'T FOR AMERICA,
YOU ARE AGAINST HER, JACK!"

So, how do you no damage this first part of that battle? I can dodge the double attack okay, dodge the chop-chop master onion attack, but then get hit with one of the other after those two. Is there no prediction in it?

NotLiquid

"IF YOU AREN'T FOR AMERICA,
YOU ARE AGAINST HER, JACK!"

So, how do you no damage this first part of that battle? I can dodge the double attack okay, dodge the chop-chop master onion attack, but then get hit with one of the other after those two. Is there no prediction in it?

Defensive Offensive is the single best move for that battle. Use it every time he drops an attack.

addyb

Well I'm late to the party but started on this over the weekend. Im really enjoying it so far. Only playing on normal for 1st playthrough but will definitely try hard at next time. Really enjoying it so far. Minor camera gripes aside its a joy to play and so far I'm really surprised at how much codec content there is. (I've just beat monsoon BTW)

Ive still not got parrying 100% down but i do ok so far. Quick question. Do you have to unlock all the VR missions via the main game. I think I've just come across VR 9 or 10 but sure I've missed one along the way.

I'm going to playthrough the game anyway but ill be a bit annoyed if say i miss unlocking the last VR mission in the main game and then having to playthrough to get to the level where the unlock terminal is.

That thing the boss throws at you is only an instant kill if you don't have energy tanks or whatever they're called.

EDIT: On second thought I didn't even have 180 max health at the time so I can't be sure of that.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Step up your game.

It doesn't help the camera won't let me see the attack to dodge offset. Half the time I know it's coming, but Raiden thinks I'm wanting to attack or whatever because the attack hasn't been "announced" to him or whatever.

I keep trying, but I keep getting hit as I dodge. It's annoying as shit.

it works best for his grab, and his quick melee attacks (not the combos) but the window of invinsibility frames is as small as the timing for the perfect parry counter

Dont use it for his area blasts.

It doesn't help the camera won't let me see the attack to dodge offset. Half the time I know it's coming, but Raiden thinks I'm wanting to attack or whatever because the attack hasn't been "announced" to him or whatever.

just so we are clear the offensive dodge is not the parry
it's the move you buy in custom.
you press square and X at the same time

It also helps to know that you don't have to "flick" the analog stick in the other direction to do the cut. You just line it up and let the stick go. I was having a hard time until I found this out, then I beat him on the first try.

you can also press the triangle button to slash in blade mode when you have everything lined up.

Sephzilla

Wait until the actual blades are coming down before you do the dodge. The mistake I made early on was that I was dodging right before they'd come down or right as they'd start the animation. If you do it right around then it's actually too soon.

Deitus

Well I'm late to the party but started on this over the weekend. Im really enjoying it so far. Only playing on normal for 1st playthrough but will definitely try hard at next time. Really enjoying it so far. Minor camera gripes aside its a joy to play and so far I'm really surprised at how much codec content there is. (I've just beat monsoon BTW)

Ive still not got parrying 100% down but i do ok so far. Quick question. Do you have to unlock all the VR missions via the main game. I think I've just come across VR 9 or 10 but sure I've missed one along the way.

I'm going to playthrough the game anyway but ill be a bit annoyed if say i miss unlocking the last VR mission in the main game and then having to playthrough to get to the level where the unlock terminal is.

All VR Missions are unlocked by finding those computer thingys in the main game. However, if you know which one you missed, you can replay from the start of the chapter the VR Mission is located in instead of playing through the whole game. The game is short anyway though, so its designed to be replayed.

Dawg

Finally.

risingxupo1.jpg

Damn, I'm jealous... All I have is this..

MormaPope

Banned

Instead of using dodge to physically get away from the blades, use it's invincibility frames. Dodge right before the blade is about to hit you, Raiden will just clip through it and you won't get damaged.

addyb

All VR Missions are unlocked by finding those computer thingys in the main game. However, if you know which one you missed, you can replay from the start of the chapter the VR Mission is located in instead of playing through the whole game. The game is short anyway though, so its designed to be replayed.

OK thanks mate. Im sure I've missed VR6 or 7. Will check later but yep i will be replaying anyway.

Murai is piss easy on all difficulties.

So's the final boss for this game once you "learn" it, but Murai was designed for players to starting guarding intelligently and stop mashing before introducing them to stuff like exploding kunais and enemies that love to grab you. It's just that in MGR it's placed at the end of the game, and many players get the impression that it introduces unexplained new mechanics which is not the case.

MechaX

For some reason, I like Raiden's support cast almost as much as I liked the support cast in MGS3
pre-MGS4 bullshit

Is there something wrong with me?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
they're both pretty boring

Paramedic's movie trivia is more interesting than Courtney's food stuff atleast

So's the final boss for this game once you "learn" it, but Murai was designed for players to starting guarding intelligently and stop mashing before introducing them to stuff like exploding kunais and enemies that love to grab you. It's just that in MGR it's placed at the end of the game, and many players get the impression that it introduces unexplained new mechanics which is not the case.
Ninja Gaiden humorously is the opposite though with the last boss (murai again) being significantly easier than most of the game - especially on the higher difficulties. What an anticlimactic last boss to an amazing game.

Courtney is pretty dull. Respectfully handled though, for a series known for encouraging players to stare at breasts.

That said, her codec chatter about understanding Raiden's desire to bring justice to Desperado makes me want to see her as Raiden's cyborg ninja partner in training for a sequel.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I'm still amazed that no developer ever thought to put in a custom difficulty setting, where the player can set his own stats on enemy aggression, damage output, set ups, etc. It wouldn't even be hard to implement, just have a select boxes for stuff.

QTE: On/Off
Cinematic Finishers: On/Off
Enemy Aggression: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Set up: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Enemy Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc
Player Damage output: Easy/Normal/Hard/etc

Stuff like that would be christmas for all a very small contingent of hardcore players.

Fixed. I honestly believe only a tiny percentage of players would ever take advantage of something like that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Courtney is pretty dull.

Courtney worked well to brief the player on previous Metal Gears and to give some context to the several year gap between this game and MGS4.

She had a few funny conversations, like the one on Mistral, the one about Raiden's "amazing" body, and I smiled whenever she said "Save it for your wife, Raiden". And she seemed like a foodie, which reminded me of Paramedic.

Hystzen

Courtney is pretty dull. Respectfully handled though, for a series known for encouraging players to stare at breasts.

That said, her codec chatter about understanding Raiden's desire to bring justice to Desperado makes me want to see her as Raiden's cyborg ninja partner in training for a sequel.

What she going do spill coffee over the enemy

Sephzilla

Armstrong on Revengeance was pretty damn fun, especially with no nano paste at the beginning of the battle. Shit was intense.

I was in a similar pinch on Very Hard mode, that part where he throws a chunk of the Metal Gear at you felt like a godsend. I wised up and banked my nanopaste on my Revengeance run.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed. I honestly believe only a tiny percentage of players would ever take advantage of something like that.

I like to think I go pretty hard on these games but even I wouldn't want or use that.

Just make a fun game and I'll play it.

I don't really like that mentality on here. That these kind of games should forsake all other elements besides the combat.

Top Bottom