• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Mupod

I dunno, I wouldn't say that I -expected- Metal Gear quality, but as a Metal Gear fan I'm not disappointed one bit by the story. It's over the top and very Platinum, sure, but the actual writing, the themes, the codec conversations, the pre and post boss conversations... it's all very Metal Gear Solid imo. There's a level of depth to what people are saying in the game, even when it is over the top, and there is a coherency which I don't really think is there when Platinum writes their own games. I found the collaboration outcome to be really interesting, in a good way.

My favorite codec was the one where Wolf tells Raiden why he can't hack computers despite being an AI. I mean, it was funny because the main reason was that he doesn't have any goddamn hands. But past the joke it illustrated the difference between computers as we know them and the kind of machine you'd need to build in order to actually mimic the human brain. He can't directly interface with a computer any more than we could even though he's artificial.

In all I was expecting a short game full of good cheesy fun, I got all that and more. The obvious thing here would be to beg for a Rising sequel but I wanted Platinum on ZOE before and holy shit do I ever want that badly now.

Astral

Alright guys. This lobby fight while waiting for the elevator in R-04. Can you even beat it without taking damage?

EDIT: Nevermind. I always forget I have rocket launchers.

Robot Pants

Alright guys. This lobby fight while waiting for the elevator in R-04. Can you even beat it without taking damage?
It's possible but very time consuming. Also dumb. Requires a lot of hiding and you also need to use the infinite sub-weapon wig.
This is why I think S Ranking this game a new save file is impossible.

SystemBug

There's odd glimpses of the ol' Kojima touch, mainly in the codec conversations and stuff like the model posters and the MiBs, but really whatever the hell "Metal Gear quality" is supposed to be, I dunno if this game is it. Given the last few games, it's probably better than that, no?
The last one's I played were from the HD collection so MGS2 and MGS3. They still hold up well.

In Rising's case, a lot of it seems forced, it would have been nicer to see them go into another direction instead of doing it the way Kojima does it.

By MGS quality I generally mean you know quality. Nice emphasis on music and etc.

So if I get an ID or Data Storage and reload a checkpoint, do I still have that collectible?

Yes, but it won't count towards the trophies until you complete a mission. Doesn't even have to be THAT mission, either. I got the last Data Storage in R-04, quit, beat R-07, Data Storage trophy popped up

HOWEVER, you have to get all the Dwarf Geckos in one playthrough, no skipping around chapter select

Defunkled

About to start my run through Revengeance mode in an attempt to get this last trophy. Hopefully getting an S rank in all the encounters isn't as stressful as some of those VR Missions.

It's uncanny how much he looks like Donte.

PlatinumJP saw this and had the modellers change his looks:

ibl5l2e8ExSR57.jpg

Raiden even
cuts him in half when killing the doctor too.

The last one's I played were from the HD collection so MGS2 and MGS3. They still hold up well.

In Rising's case, a lot of it seems forced, it would have been nicer to see them go into another direction instead of doing it the way Kojima does it.

By MGS quality I generally mean you know quality. Nice emphasis on music and etc.

MGS's influence isn't all there, but it's certainly enough so it won't seem so foreign to a MG fan. And when you say "nice emphasis on music," I'll just assume you like the compositions MG has had (as I do), and don't favor Rising's take on some music.

"you know, quality" isn't specific enough.

PlatinumJP saw this and had the modellers change his looks:

ibl5l2e8ExSR57.jpg

Raiden even
cuts him in half when killing the doctor too.

It's awesome how true this could actually be.

And when you say "nice emphasis on music," I'll just assume you like the compositions MG has had (as I do), and don't favor Rising's take on some music.

It's funny how you mention music compositions and pointing out how some of Rising's music differs from the rest of the series, when in fact every MGS has had different influences/styles of music throughout the series aside from the usual BGM music.

MGS1- electronic
MGS2- Jazz
MGS3- 60's
MGS4- Orchestra
MGRR- Rock

Not saying you have to like it, but in a weird way I feel the music still retains that "Metal Gear feel" because like every Metal Gear game before it, the music matches the setting/style of the game

But seriously, I'm not even a fan of the type of music, and even I get hyped when the lyrics kick in mid battle.

I feel like a
mighty morphin power ranger :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
oh good god that is amazing

Astral

Alright. What the fuck do I do in the lobby part of chapter 4? The RPG guys take too long to kill and always kill me really fast. My own rockets barely do anything at all and I can't seem to fire them at the first floor.

The tapestry makes wonder what a ancient Japan themed Revengeance would be like.

Alright. What the fuck do I do in the lobby part of chapter 4? The RPG guys take too long to kill and always kill me really fast. My own rockets barely do anything at all and I can't seem to fire them at the first floor.

Have you tried using the turrets? I've only beat that part on very hard, so if that's on revengeance, I don't know.

There's two turrets you can use on the second floor.

Astral

The RPG guys easily destroy the turrents. Even turrets take too long to kill them. It turns out I CAN shoot the ground floor with my rockets. Ugh, I guess I can try using the wig.

The RPG guys easily destroy the turrents. Even turrets take too long to kill them. It turns out I CAN shoot the ground floor with my rockets. Ugh, I guess I can try using the wig.
The turret sucks but is solid enough to get you through it. Immediately target the rocket troop that's in the second wave spawn on the right pillar then target the two that come on the ground floor. The others shouldn't give you much grief in comparison.

Astral

The turret sucks but is solid enough to get you through it. Immediately target the rocket troop that's in the second wave spawn on the right pillar then target the two that come on the ground floor. The others shouldn't give you much grief in comparison.

I just realized my mistake. I overestimated the number of RPG troops and wasted time firing at machine gun guys.

Roto13

I know Metal Gear is somewhat guilty of this as well, but I some things here were just embarrassing. Like the brown kid who looked liked Dante. HOLY.

You mean the one who made the Ninja Turtles references, thus cementing his place as the greatest Metal Gear character ever?
He's essentially Jar Jar Binks.

IJoel

FINALLY! Don't know what possessed me, but decided to give the last boss another try, and was able to finish the game, and with 2 unused health packs too.

Running around the thrown tanks was a must for me.

duckroll

Hey JP, any idea about Rising DLC on Asia PSN? Not sure if Platinum even has anything to do with the actual distribution, but I don't see the MGS4 Raiden skin on the PS Store here, but I did get the Cyborg Ninja DLC and a random colored one (got the Commando armor) with my game.

Me neither. It says more about the maturity of people who made the pic than the quality of either game.
Really?why does it strike such a cord that you would call a fan immature for having a clear cut preference ? Why not just stay neutral in the whole affair? Its a harmless image, MGR is pretty much accepted as the definitive action experience of 2013 ,for those who love briskly paced action games.. especially for those who skipped a DMC that decided to cater to a casual crowd, and found their fix in your companies offering, that couldn't be a more apt image.

I can't perry to save the life of me...

But thou must.

Go into one of the VR missions where you're just killing enemies and practise until you have it down. I still can't reliably do it every time, but I've gotten better.

Really?why does it strike such a cord that you would call a fan immature for having a clear cut preference ? Why not just stay neutral in the whole affair? Its a harmless image, MGR is pretty much accepted as the definitive action experience of 2013 ,for those who love briskly paced action games.. especially for those who skipped a DMC that decided to cater to a casual crowd, and found their fix in your companies offering, that couldn't be a more apt image.

I just thought it was funny as hell :/

Watching fanboy war output is great.

demidar

Hey JP, any idea about Rising DLC on Asia PSN? Not sure if Platinum even has anything to do with the actual distribution, but I don't see the MGS4 Raiden skin on the PS Store here, but I did get the Cyborg Ninja DLC and a random colored one (got the Commando armor) with my game.

What region is your game and PS3 from?

Mike M

Nick N
Man, fuck that Sam fight. I had managed to absolutely destroy him, getting him down to 0.1% HP, but then he kept doing the jumping slash thing, and I failed to parry or block it every fucking time until I was dead (Went in with no healing items). Took a while until I was able to get him that low again, which is probably because I suck, since he telegraphs everything more than most bosses.

The bare fisted parts were weird, there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when hits would connect versus when he'd evade.

But thou must.

Go into one of the VR missions where you're just killing enemies and practise until you have it down. I still can't reliably do it every time, but I've gotten better.

I just thought it was funny as hell :/

Watching fanboy war output is great.
Fanboy War Output sounds like an epic straight edge neo punk garage band.

DaFunk

Neo Member
Haven't gotten it yet. I intend to as soon as I'll have some time to play it. I'm curious though, as I haven't read or heard anything about extra abilities other than the different weapons. Are there new abilities to purchase later? And does the gameplay evolve further than what was in the demo? (aside from switching weapons of course)

Roto13

Haven't gotten it yet. I intend to as soon as I'll have some time to play it. I'm curious though, as I haven't read or heard anything about extra abilities other than the different weapons. Are there new abilities to purchase later? And does the gameplay evolve further than what was in the demo? (aside from switching weapons of course)

There are new moves, too. And lots of unlockables.

Top Bottom