• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

McNum

You actually get a surprising amount of BP just for setting records in VR Training. R-01 is also good because it's so easy to go through.
I ran through the demo area with my endgame Raiden. Poor, poor enemies... They died before the "Kill all enemies!" objective was done popping up. And the Wolf fight was... Sloppy, but fast.

Also, I'm missing about half the VR missions, so I need to find them first. So run around like a madman looking for VR missions and left hands, being nigh-invincible may be a plan. The game is pretty short if I skip cutscenes.

By the way, what's better? A 5 Str, 3 Abs, 3 Eng, HF-Blade or a vanilla Muramasa? I mean the Muramasa looks cool, but it's not upgraded. I kind of want to max out the HF-Blade first. Or I could farm BP for the Fox Blade.

RangerBAD

Now I'm finding out how hard it is to get no damage on Monsoon. You have to perfect parry his Sai when he throws them at you. So hard.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I ran through the demo area with my endgame Raiden. Poor, poor enemies... They died before the "Kill all enemies!" objective was done popping up. And the Wolf fight was... Sloppy, but fast.

Also, I'm missing about half the VR missions, so I need to find them first. So run around like a madman looking for VR missions and left hands, being nigh-invincible may be a plan. The game is pretty short if I skip cutscenes.

By the way, what's better? A 5 Str, 3 Abs, 3 Eng, HF-Blade or a vanilla Muramasa? I mean the Muramasa looks cool, but it's not upgraded. I kind of want to max out the HF-Blade first. Or I could farm BP for the Fox Blade.

At that point the HF blade will be better, although the Muramasa is faster. Fully upgraded Muramasa wins, hands down.

Muramasa swings faster, but I don't think it's naturally any stronger than the HF Blade. Someone else can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm not wrong, than stick with your upgraded blade.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Really amped for the Wolf DLC for some reason. Right after that boss fight in the demo I thought about how cool it would be if
he became your sidekick.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really amped for the Wolf DLC for some reason. Right after that boss fight in the demo I thought about how cool it would be if
he became your sidekick.

I'm looking forward to it since he'll play a lot differently than Raiden. Should be interesting.

Marlowe89

Someone may have already mentioned this, but why does the game consistently spell Sam's blade as "Murasama"? Isn't it supposed to be Muramasa?

Marlowe89

It's Murasama. A codec call with Kevin identifies it as such as well.

Yeah, I was thinking that the game's stance on it is the official one. Thanks for clearing that up.

Guess everyone's just misspelling the name. Granted, I can see how it would confuse people since it could easily get mixed up with the more typical spelling.

anddo0

Thanks for the advice everyone. I finally beat that bastard. If you remember I had that little breakdown yesterday :) In the end I didn't bother with blade mode. I just ninja ran for the projectile parts. I also discovered " revengeance mode". I guess I wasn't paying attention because before the final boss (before today). I have never used it. I've never been more annoyed with a final boss in my life. The fact that I was down to one ration each time I reached the final phase didn't help.. But man it feels good to finally beat this guy.

MrBS

So I put a few hours into this last night and the game certainly has its charms. Combat is easy enough to become good at but to go that much further and S rank stuff. That's going to take a lot of practice and a lot of twitch mastery. My hopes of something like MGS X Bayonetta are mostly realised.

Despite my play time I didn't get too far into the game as Revengeance continues the MGS tradition of having quite a bit of optional codec conversations so upon enetering a new area I was spending quite some time listening to it all. There is a codec conversation where it is explained why the blood is now red instead of white. It reminded me of that hilarious codec conversation in MGS4 that retcons why Snake doesn't use CQC in previous games.

Stealth (lol) so far has been extremely limited but why you would want to when you have this beautiful action system at your disposal is beyond me

There are plenty of callbacks to the MGS saga in this game so expect some spoilers of all previous games if you haven't played them already. That said it definately doesn't feel like its moving the MGS story forward, this is very much a side story. At least at this point.

joe2187

Banned
Yeah, I was thinking that the game's stance on it is the official one. Thanks for clearing that up.

Guess everyone's just misspelling the name. Granted, I can see how it would confuse people since it could easily get mixed up with the more typical spelling.

The LE Guide explains that part as well

Seems Sam's family practiced sword making but got the name wrong in translation when they were making the sword and thus they never corrected it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Can someone help me with the arm thing? How do I get it? It seems like it only works some of the time. I know only some enemies have it. I cut through the blue but sometimes I don't get it? Am I not allowed to cut anything else or something? Or do I have to hit the square with it too?

XenoRaven

Can someone help me with the arm thing? How do I get it? It seems like it only works some of the time. I know only some enemies have it. I cut through the blue but sometimes I don't get it? Am I not allowed to cut anything else or something? Or do I have to hit the square with it too?
I'm pretty sure you have to focus on cutting the hand before the rest of the body. When the body reads "destroyed" I don't think you can cut the hand anymore.

If it's a special guy the left hand will be red and when you cut it off it will immediately turn green. I think it's invincible at that point.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I heard something about 2 achievements being added to the 360 version regarding the extra DLC VR missions. Is this true? And if so, will 360 players get the DLC before too long after all?

oh cool

was wondering if there would be extra achievments/trophies for the DLC

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

cut the green part of the dudes with the glowing red green left arms in blade mode

When their arm turns blue (or their body if you hurt them that much), you can chop off the arm and get the bonus. Something I learned quite late is that you can tell which enemies have the arms you need by going into Augment Mode and looking for enemies with green squares on them.

Someone may have already mentioned this, but why does the game consistently spell Sam's blade as "Murasama"? Isn't it supposed to be Muramasa?

Seems Sam's family practiced sword making but got the name wrong in translation when they were making the sword and thus they never corrected it.

I read that as well.
I thought that was a pretty funny minor detail to add to the character

Astral

Is there a way to just completely avoid Monsoon's bullshit where he throws a million trucks at you? It keeps fucking hitting me right when he's about to die and it's driving me insane.

Is there a way to just completely avoid Monsoon's bullshit where he throws a million trucks at you? It keeps fucking hitting me right when he's about to die and it's driving me insane.
While I don't know if you can avoid it entirely, if you put a lot of space between you and him, about enough to start seeing the pillars, you'll be able to miss a couple of the things in the tosses without the explosions hurting you.

Joe Lee

Wow, I never actually noticed that. After reading the above posts in regards to Sam's family history, it's a really neat little detail that they put into his backstory.

Korigama

That is a very interesting detail (and explains why the description lines up with the story of the Muramasa blades that his family meant to name it after).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
S-Ranking Revengeance is making me think about each encounter in a very different way. It's kind of refreshing. For example, there was a fight with a GRAD that kept screwing up everything by killing other enemies with collateral damage... so I had to beeline the GRAD and perform a perfect parry to kill it instantly, something I wouldn't have normally thought to do.

duckroll

Watch him goes bipedal for the DLC and play exactly like Raiden.

Neither Sam nor Wolf will play like Raiden. They will have their own moves. Even in the first DLC, Raiden won't always play like Raiden! Fist combat side scrolling action and more Dwarf Gekko puzzle fun!

S-Ranking Revengeance is making me think about each encounter in a very different way. It's kind of refreshing. For example, there was a fight with a GRAD that kept screwing up everything by killing other enemies with collateral damage... so I had to beeline the GRAD and perform a perfect parry to kill it instantly, something I wouldn't have normally thought to do.

My Rev run was the other way around, funny enough. On Hard, I cut down the bridge immediately, come on down here, I'll take you on, GRAD! On Rev, I'm much more cautious, trying for that No Damage and managing the enemy encounters, so I made a dash for under the bridge and just fought the enemies there, out of the GRAD's line of fire.

SystemBug

Oh well, here is my review of the game

http://www.playereffort.com/?page_id=3281

great game play but everything surrounding it brought it down. The overemphasis on long shitty cut scenes with terrible voice acting really detracted from the game.

Is wrong to expect Metal Gear quality from this game?

BTW. does this game have the best boss fights this generation? I don't mean in terms of skill but just how you go around fighting them.

duckroll

I dunno, I wouldn't say that I -expected- Metal Gear quality, but as a Metal Gear fan I'm not disappointed one bit by the story. It's over the top and very Platinum, sure, but the actual writing, the themes, the codec conversations, the pre and post boss conversations... it's all very Metal Gear Solid imo. There's a level of depth to what people are saying in the game, even when it is over the top, and there is a coherency which I don't really think is there when Platinum writes their own games. I found the collaboration outcome to be really interesting, in a good way.

I think the things that make this game great are pretty far removed from the things that make Metal Gear great. There's odd glimpses of the ol' Kojima touch, mainly in the codec conversations and stuff like the model posters and the MiBs, but really whatever the hell "Metal Gear quality" is supposed to be, I dunno if this game is it. Given the last few games, it's probably better than that, no?

Whatever, Y2Kev summed it up best:

Allow me to help

Do you like anything

If yes, get metal gear rising.

Ninja sliding at the last second not working?

EDIT: nvm....Revengeance walkthrough gets the job done

SystemBug

Yes absolutely. If you went into this game with those expectations you are going to be disappointed. The game released 200 trailers, no reason to have that mindset.
Well I didn't watch a lot of the trailers so I wouldn't spoil the game for myself. Oh well.

Also, how the hell do some reviewers have trouble beating this game on Normal? It's not even hard on that difficulty setting.

and Viewtiful

I know Metal Gear is somewhat guilty of this as well, but I some things here were just embarrassing. Like the brown kid who looked liked Dante. HOLY.

I would love a sequel though

Ken

Well I didn't watch a lot of the trailers so I wouldn't spoil the game for myself. Oh well.

Also, how the hell do some reviewers have trouble beating this game on Normal? It's not even hard on that difficulty setting.

and Viewtiful

I know Metal Gear is somewhat guilty of this as well, but I some things here were just embarrassing. Like the brown kid who looked liked Dante. HOLY.

I would love a sequel though

Haha, I knew I wasn't the only one who thought this.

Top Bottom