• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Vodh

NANOMACHINES, SON

This should be the one and only reply to all
Armstrong
haters. A final boss that gives you a run for your money while at the same time being absolutely doable (even easy) once you master your responses to his attacks is what games should strive for.

JPKellams

Hey JP, any idea about Rising DLC on Asia PSN? Not sure if Platinum even has anything to do with the actual distribution, but I don't see the MGS4 Raiden skin on the PS Store here, but I did get the Cyborg Ninja DLC and a random colored one (got the Commando armor) with my game.

Not a clue, sir. Sorry!

I've heard, no idea if it's true, that the Japanese version is nowhere near as funny and completely neuters lines like "Let it rip!"

Nah, it's nowhere near as super crazy as the English version seems to be, but it certainly has its own wacky charm. It's still pretty funny IMO.

Vodh

Not sure how I've just realized that, but pretty much everything up to chapter 6 is a closed whole, maintaining generally the same balance of epic to serious to funny - and then there's the Chapter 7, which is there pretty much just to provide everything with a more conclusive story ending and the wackiness levels go through the roof. But from now on, I'll just consider Chapter 6 as the proper ending.

Nah, it's nowhere near as super crazy as the English version seems to be, but it certainly has its own wacky charm. It's still pretty funny IMO.

"NANOMACHINES, SON!" and
"UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS!"
are not spoken in the Japanese version. The Japanese version doesn't have the same flavor as the English one, but was still good. I thought it was funny/weird that they used 愛国者達(aikokushatachi) instead of The Patriots. A lot of terms that I expected to be in katakana were in straight up Japanese.

Tell her I said she worked on the best vocal track on the game and did a fucking great job.

Your friend is Free Dominguez?

looked her up a little while ago. She also did a song years ago for the queen of the damned soundtrack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04lLW4eAJ3c

And more recently did a track for dissidia 012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TY5dRBjqO0

Yep. Free is awesome! I met her a few years back at a KidneyThieves show (awesome band btw, check them out if you like her voice or industrial stuff) through one of my best friends that ended up collaborating with her.

Riposte

"NANOMACHINES, SON!" and
"UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS!"
are not spoken in the Japanese version. The Japanese version doesn't have the same flavor as the English one, but was still good. I thought it was funny/weird that they used 愛国者達(aikokushatachi) instead of The Patriots. A lot of terms that I expected to be in katakana were in straight up Japanese.

Thank you 8-4. Can't stand your podcast, but you do good work.

MechaX

Armstrong
haters. A final boss that gives you a run for your money while at the same time being absolutely doable (even easy) once you master your responses to his attacks is what games should strive for.

Well, in hindsight, that's all fine and dandy.

From my perspective, all I am seeing is a boss that does 2HKOs and doing attacks while I can't even see what the fuck he's doing with all this fire everywhere.

Buntabox

Play-Asia is listing a PC version of Rising for preorder... is this just an assumption by them, or is there really a PC version in the works?

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-xl-49-en-70-3qvl.html

Would prefer pc release of MGS4. Don't care how big the digital download is.
Yeah I'd double dip too though.

Also, just made the transition from finishing Hard (my second playthrough) to Very Hard (my third). Jesus H the prologue. Its......very hard. I'm not the best at counter anyway. Not to mention, Ray can take you down in two hits. I had him down to 9.8% and he got in a lucky jab I couldn't avoid. Turned off. Bed. Try again tomorrow.

From my perspective, all I am seeing is a boss that does 2HKOs and doing attacks while I can't even see what the fuck he's doing with all this fire everywhere.

I think everything about this boss is pretty fair, since you will learn the patterns and when to dodge/run/counter.

But the fire is bullshit because it temporarily restricts the area you can move inand you can get juggled off it if you get hit when near it.

The fact people who dislike the soundtrack for this game actually exist saddens me.

Here's the thing I don't dislike it but I feel the vocals were unnecessary. Before I played the game I envisioned it sounding like 80s cheesy action movie mixed with the crazy high intensity of old school action games like mega man and contra and shit.

You gotta be Luke Sky with the blast shield down.

He may destroy your body and mind in that section, but remember: a soul can't be cut.

I think everything about this boss is pretty fair, since you will learn the patterns and when to dodge/run/counter.

But the fire is bullshit because it temporarily restricts the area you can move inand you can get juggled off it if you get hit when near it.

Then you do not get hit.

mattp

Armstrong
yup he was basically perfect

MechaX

Oh man fuck the final boss.

Guide says to "jump over him" when he's doing his grapple. I jump, I still get grabbed somehow?

Doesn't help that whenever I'm starting to make some progress, he starts pulling out some bullshit (fire columns to restrict movement in the stage, then more fire columns or point blank AOE).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Guide says to "jump over him" when he's doing his grapple. I jump, I still get grabbed somehow?

Doesn't help that whenever I'm starting to make some progress, he starts pulling out some bullshit (fire columns to restrict movement in the stage, then more fire columns or point blank AOE).

Defensive offense instead. Eff jumping.

Ken

Be aggressive and try to stagger him if you don't want to deal with his FIREWORKS SHOW OF AMERICA.

Vodh

Fuck that guide. Just shout 'Meep meep!', fire up ninja run, and let him hug the air. Once you figure out how the grapple start-up looks like, it's really easy to avoid it with ninja run.

Fuck that guide. Just shout 'Meep meep!', fire up ninja run, and let him hug the air. Once you figure out how the grapple start-up looks like, it's really easy to avoid it with ninja run.

Putting distance between the two of you, then waiting and dodging left or right at the last moment worked well for me.

Edit: beaten like a Gekko

proctologist. lmao he's so right there too. i'm in love with this game but oh god imagine what it could have been without the super-close camera. sequel better happen...with some improvements too.

Jintor

I keep zig-zagging between blade mode being awesome and blade mode being crap

if only it was psychic and knew the ways i wanted to cut instead of me just waggling right stick like craaaaaaaazy

works most of the time but every once in a while a line goes through the box but you don't get to e zendatsu

So I wanted the No Damage achievement for
Armstrong
... does dying during a QTE affect this or does it not? I accidentally died before the hand to hand fighting.

Also, how do I know when it's safe to be hit during the hand to hand combat? I didn't get the achievement but these are the only two things that I can think of that prevented the pop up.

MechaX

Man, I've tried all of you guys' advice for dodging the grab. Sometimes Raiden will just dodge right into a grab, sometimes it will miss, but he will turn faster than I can react in mid-dodge and grab anyway.

Ugh, I do not see how I can keep this up for 200% of a health bar with no health items while he can pretty much kill me in a few hits.

Man, I've tried all of you guys' advice for dodging the grab. Sometimes Raiden will just dodge right into a grab, sometimes it will miss, but he will turn faster than I can react in mid-dodge and grab anyway.

Ugh, I do not see how I can keep this up for 200% of a health bar with no health items while he can pretty much kill me in a few hits.

You'll manage.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

If you were accustomed to the dodge already it would make more sense. It's all about timing, you can dodge directly at the boss and still have him miss due to the i-frames. Try doing it later than you think you need to or do it twice. It also responds to directional input, so you can hold back and do it to have raiden hop backwards away from the grab. I usually did it sideways though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Final boss? I didn't know about the directional dodge version of offensively defensive whatever until after I finished the game. Just jump away, 100% success rate.

noffles

Banned
So I wanted the No Damage achievement for
Armstrong
... does dying during a QTE affect this or does it not? I accidentally died before the hand to hand fighting.

Also, how do I know when it's safe to be hit during the hand to hand combat? I didn't get the achievement but these are the only two things that I can think of that prevented the pop up.

I think you need to no damage every single part of the fight. I no damaged the last part on hard and got royally pissed that it didn't pop up.

(I would also like an answer to this question though)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think you need to no damage every single part of the fight. I no damaged the last part on hard and got royally pissed that it didn't pop up.

(I would also like an answer to this question though)

Yes. You cannot take damage during any of the three stages of the fight. What really sucks is that it's super easy to get hit during the second phase, which will automatically start a checkpoint and initiate the third phase. You can finish the second phase without taking damage. The boss will do an unavoidable area attack that will knock you into the third phase... no damage will be reflected on your health bar.

You have to not get damage after
Excelsus

I thought this was the case but I didn't take any damage except for the single "mandatory" hit. When am I suppose to know when I can be hit? Because I did part 1 (sword to hand) with no damage, part 2 (hand to hand) with the single hit, which began part 3 (final fight), which I also no damaged.

EDIT: never mind, answered above. That blows really hard.

Top Bottom