• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

this reminds me of old school games where it's just uncanny to surpass some sort of boss without any sort of healing..you either keep trying and grind it out or you quit and become defeated but when you win its so satisfying

Wow, I didn't even realize the Grey Fox outfit was included with the game in Australia. I just opened up the case now after having completed the game on hard. It was just behind the Manual.

Aw yiss

Nose Master

Really hope you don't have to do all the codecs in a single playthrough, like everything else (seemingly) cause... fuck listening to everything again. Even if you can skip.

MechaX

What the... fucking up in the debris section is essentially an instant kill? (I cannot get the second piece lined up for the life of me).

Oh man, I am fighting the urge to catapult my PS3 controller into orbit so fucking hard right now.

Final boss? I didn't know about the directional dodge version of offensively defensive whatever until after I finished the game. Just jump away, 100% success rate.

I'm probably just fucking up the timing of the dodge, but I swear sometimes he catches me right out of it no matter what direction I use.

noffles

Banned
What the... fucking up in the debris section is essentially an instant kill? (I cannot get the second piece lined up for the life of me).

Oh man, I am fighting the urge to catapult my PS3 controller into orbit so fucking hard right now.

I'm probably just fucking up the timing of the dodge, but I swear sometimes he catches me right out of it no matter what direction I use.

Align your swings with both sticks then press X to get the perfect cut. I've found it usually goes a bit wrong if you just use the sticks alone.

(and yes you're timing the dodges wrong)

Hypron

I went through mission 7 on hard a bit earlier today to get the achievement for not getting spotted, and I thought that I might as well try to get the no damage achievement on
armstrong
. And damn that was incredibly easier than I thought it would be. I had to retry phase 2 a couple of times (maybe 7-8 times), and the very beginning of phase 3 (the first 20 seconds basically) around 5 times... And then I completely annihilated him. I killed him on revengeance mode this morning so hard mode was a walk in the park in comparison. He didn't even attack me between his first and second attempt to heal, and then he was dead. It was hilarious.

I reckon during phase 1/2 the easiest way to avoid him is to run away from him using ninja run and then jump when he gets close to you. It's harder to mess up a jump than it is to mess up a normal dodge.

Noi

It's timing, really. What I did was that as soon as I saw him charge up the grab, I'd put a bit of distance between us before trying to use the dodge. If you try to dodge when you're right next to him, it sometimes gives him enough distance to loop around and grab you if you dont dodge a second time immediately.

duckroll

Final boss? I didn't know about the directional dodge version of offensively defensive whatever until after I finished the game. Just jump away, 100% success rate.

I watched a S-rank video for the final boss after beating him yesterday, and I noticed the IGN guy applied the same technique for his first ground pound move. Instead of dodging or ninja running, he attacks the boss head on, and then jumps OVER him just as he attacks. Pretty cool tactic.

Hypron

I've usually got him onto the boulders by this point, but man is it easy to get greedy in that fight.

Yeah me too, once you're past the boulders he's just a push over on hard difficulty, you can take him down without even him attacking anymore haha. Spamming the forward forward light attack launcher wrecks him so quickly.

Seik

Banned
Done!

8fu4kaz.jpg

Damn, I kinda suck, but I'm all but done with this game. I'll do it again next week-end at a harder difficulty.

Monsoon is a pain in the ass to defeat without damage on hard. I tried so many times, and the only checkpoint you get occurs when he has about 20% or less health left which is followed by an easy quick-time event. I eventually gave up and continued on with my playthrough.

"WE'RE DONE HERE"

FUCK YOU
ARMSTRONG

Fuck sleep, I am amped like nothing other right now.

Those button-mash QTEs were incredibly satisfying because I felt like I was actually beating the shit out of him. I hate that guy.

Monsoon is a pain in the ass to defeat without damage on hard. I tried so many times, and the only checkpoint you get occurs when he has about 20% or less health left which is followed by an easy quick-time event. I eventually gave up and continued on with my playthrough.

Charge pincers and release when he reforms from being knocked apart. Worked for me on Revengeance so it should be even stronger on Hard

Finally beat VR mission 18. Pretty simply if parrying opportunities come from the Mastiffs and Fenrir (shoutouts to Dystopia). Just need to beat four more missions and I'll have that delicious platinum trophy.

I'm getting this game today - I am so overly excited! Can't wait to see where the story goes.

Also, what are the technical differences between the PS3 and Xbox 360 version?

360 version has a slight framerate advantage. PS3 version has higher quality cutscenes and exclusive VR missions for DLC. I got the PS3 version and the framerate was very smooth when it needed to be. Either version should be fine if you don't care about the DLC.

Pachimari

I'm getting this game today - I am so overly excited! Can't wait to see where the story goes.

Also, what are the technical differences between the PS3 and Xbox 360 version?

Charge pincers and release when he reforms from being knocked apart. Worked for me on Revengeance so it should be even stronger on Hard.

I'll have to focus on that weapon for my next upgrade.

Also, is it possible to get the trophy for taking no damage against Sam in the prologue fight? I recall someone posting that they got it there, but I always took damage even when I blocked so it didn't work for me. Unless you just have to run around and wait for the cutscene to start, or something?

Fabrik

Banned
I liked the game but I find it weird I don't have much desire to do another complete playthrough. There's no goal in sight. I could try to S rank everything but I don't even know how the scoring works. Moreover I don't want to get through some sections again like the sewers, the no-lights area, the security cameras, the offices rush or the codec calls. I think I have mastered the combat but I feel it will be just frustrating on higher difficulties (I played on Hard). The few VR missions I did are not very interesting.
I'm...I'm considering trading it for...Tomb Raider. What's wrong with me!?

Also, is it possible to get the trophy for taking no damage against Sam in the prologue fight? I recall someone posting that they got it there, but I always took damage even when I blocked so it didn't work for me. Unless you just have to run around and wait for the cutscene to start, or something?

Nope, has to be in his chapter. A good tip for that trophy is to play on Revengeance difficulty, which ups parry damage by a massive amount. You can take him from full health down to about 40-30% with one parry. Completely bypasses phase two of that fight and makes things trivial if your timing is good.

noffles

Banned
Nope, has to be in his chapter. A good tip for that trophy is to play on Revengeance difficulty, which ups parry damage by a massive amount. You can take him from full health down to about 40-30% with one parry. Completely bypasses phase two of that fight and makes things trivial if your timing is good.

Jesus, really? I guess Revengeance mode won't be too hard after all. I have parries fucking MASTERED right now.

I think the parry counter getting a huge damage boost on Revengeance is a really cool addition, and I love what it does for the flow of battles against regular enemies, but I wish it wasn't as effective on bosses (or that the optional QTE stuff on certain bosses didn't massively destroy them on Revengeance). I think that just serves to trivialize the boss fights more than anything else.

Neiteio

I finally found time to try Very Hard tonight -- I've been busy lately but this game's never far from my mind, so I cherished the opportunity. The Ray battle is SO FUN in Very Hard -- makes me wonder what it's like in Revengeance. (And I got a nifty suit for my troubles!) Also, nice to see they're mixing up the enemy layouts from Hard to Very Hard. Do they mix up the enemy layouts even more going from Very Hard to Revengeance, or is it kind of like Normal to Hard where they just increase aggression, resilience and damage output?

Also, when I was replaying Chapter 4 (the
Sundowner
chapter), I tried listening to the codecs -- hadn't really bothered with them before, but they're GREAT! I listened to each character until they started repeating themselves. I particularly loved Doktor's explanation of carbon muscle fiber. Hopefully someone will upload all of these to YouTube so I can peruse them again at my leisure later on.

Jesus, really? I guess Revengeance mode won't be too hard after all. I have parries fucking MASTERED right now.

Revengeance really isn't too bad unless you're going for S-ranks. I haven't tried Very Hard yet but I suspect it might actually be tougher since parries aren't supercharged.

Hypron

Really? I tried to no damage him yesterday on revengeance and the first parry would take him down to ~50% while the second one would take him down somewhere in the 30s. I would always screw it up after that (especially when he did his rock throwing attack at point blank... You can't parry it and it looks a lot like one of his other attacks).

Really? I tried to no damage him yesterday on revengeance and the first parry would take him down to ~50% while the second one would take him down somewhere in the 30s. I would always screw it up after that (especially when he did his rock throwing attack at point blank... You can't parry it and it looks a lot like one of his other attacks).

Parry him with fully upgraded
Murasama
while in Ripper Mode.

noffles

Banned
Revengeance really isn't too bad unless you're going for S-ranks. I haven't tried Very Hard yet but I suspect it might actually be tougher since parries aren't supercharged.

I will be going for S rank immediately once I've unlocked it, so I'm going to have some fun with it. I'm at chapter 3 on a no damage Very Hard run right now though, so I guess it won't be too bad.

I will be going for S rank immediately once I've unlocked it, so I'm going to have some fun with it. I'm at chapter 3 on a no damage Very Hard run right now though, so I guess it won't be too bad.

On Revengeance, be sure to back up your save before fighting bosses. Trust me. I had to S rank R-02 and R-04 twice because of screwing up on bosses.

chrono01

I want to use the Fox Blade [to complete the Gray Fox look, since I'm using his skin] but it's just way...way too broken. I kind of regret purchasing the Special Effect bonus. I should have just upgraded its power and left it at that. :(

Oh well. I guess I'll go with the Murasama Blade as my weapon of choice. The game just isn't enjoyable when one slash cuts the enemy in-two. I cannot combo/have fun that way, but it is interesting to see Raiden become [even more] of a God.

Hypron

Hey I'm just wondering, when you're going for the becoming a lightning god achievement, do you need to do all the missions in order in a single playthrough or can you do them in another order?

noffles

Banned
Restarting does fuck all when the game auto checkpoints you after a point where you can't get a high enough combo bonus for S rank. Ruined my ranking for Sundowner and the second to last boss.

That's pretty much why I'm going for no damage. I want to see how many S ranks I can rack up on a purely no damage playthrough. So far, everything. Well, on Very Hard at least.

Done!

8fu4kaz.jpg

Damn, I kinda suck, but I'm all but done with this game. I'll do it again next week-end at a harder difficulty.

Man I should have done this, but I was just too excited... I got an overall B and now going back for S ranks, already S ranked the first mission... but I did snap a new picture of my Metal Gear collection today ^^

IMAG0085_zpsb7b6d797.jpg

glaurung

Since I am depressed as fuck, I grabbed the PS3 version last night from a local Sony store.

Played for about 2h and I have to say, it is the most fun I have had with any game this year. Playing on normal for now, but most of the stuff has been manageable until now.

The first brick wall seemed to be the three UGs (what the hell is an UG anyhow?) in the sewer where you get the
hiding box
item for the first time. Any tips are welcome for them. Those guys are crazy when I cut their arms off.

The only true complaint I have is the camera. Both during the
wolf
and
Mistral
fights the camera simply could not keep up, making things a lot more cumbersome. But I suppose a hard-coded lock-on would make your head spin in those situations anyhow.

Great bloody game.

Since I am depressed as fuck, I grabbed the PS3 version last night from a local Sony store.

Played for about 2h and I have to say, it is the most fun I have had with any game this year. Playing on normal for now, but most of the stuff has been manageable until now.

The first brick wall seemed to be the three UGs (what the hell is an UG anyhow?) in the sewer where you get the
hiding box
item for the first time. Any tips are welcome for them. Those guys are crazy when I cut their arms off.

The only true complaint I have is the camera. Both during the
wolf
and
Mistral
fights the camera simply could not keep up, making things a lot more cumbersome. But I suppose a hard-coded lock-on would make your head spin in those situations anyhow.

Great bloody game.

R2 is lock on and works well fyi.

The sewer level there is pretty rough unless you stealth kill them, sneak up on their backs and press circle, take out all three that way and the area is a breeze.

glaurung

UG stands for Unmanned Gear. As opposed to Metal Gears, which are manned.
Much obliged. I'm sure if I were to spam the codec contacts, I'd find this fact nugget out eventually.

Another quick question - sorry if it has been asked/answered earlier.

I got the free code for the Cyborg Ninja suit and the Fox Blade. The Fox Blade costs 200,000 BP so I haven't purchased it yet. I am curious though, what does the special effect do with that sword? The description says that it is able to cut through anything, even armor - but that sounds a bit vague to my ears.

I got the free code for the Cyborg Ninja suit and the Fox Blade. The Fox Blade costs 200,000 BP so I haven't purchased it yet. I am curious though, what does the special effect do with that sword? The description says that it is able to cut through anything, even armor - but that sounds a bit vague to my ears.
Y'know how you chop things up in blade mode? It's like that, but all the time. With every enemy type but bosses.

duckroll

Think of it as a cheat mode. It's very, very overpowered. :)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Hey JP, any idea about Rising DLC on Asia PSN? Not sure if Platinum even has anything to do with the actual distribution, but I don't see the MGS4 Raiden skin on the PS Store here, but I did get the Cyborg Ninja DLC and a random colored one (got the Commando armor) with my game.
Commando armor? Haven't seen this one

The short music cue during the cutscene where Raiden
slices one of those stealth jets in half while riding the other
is so good. I wish they made some kind of heroic theme for him in that style. Not to mention the scene is badass.

Top Bottom