• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Jintor

Raiden and Bayonetta need to get together and talk shop. B needs to bind parry to direction + light attack (the redundant Scarabrough Fair normal fire x/square button). Raiden needs to get one hell of a dodge maneuver so I can dodge these goddamn instant-firing rocketeers.

He also needs umbran crow spear. I hate these flying assholes.

Yeah gekkos seem to fire machine guns if you're running away from them. They're piss weak but I was having some trouble some the camera during the bladewolf fight since the gekko would always charge at me.

Edit:
The annoyance is basically how stray machine gun hits can end S rank runs. I guess I need to get into the habit of running and slashing.

hamchan

This game is so AMAZING. Such an incredibly satisfying combat system. I'm going to replay this game so much but that S rank everything at Revengeance difficulty trophy looks too damn hard to do.

demidar

Partway through very hard mode, Christ does the camera suck and R-00 is cruel (The enemies not the boss. The boss was piss easy). Hope we get a patch to fix the camera.

Partway through very hard mode, Christ does the camera suck and R-00 is cruel (The enemies not the boss. The boss was piss easy). Hope we get a patch to fix the camera.

You know I've heard a lot of people bitch about the camera, but I literally had zero problems with it. What about it is bad for you?

You know I've heard a lot of people bitch about the camera, but I literally had zero problems with it. What about it is bad for you?

Just want to jump in here and note two problems: a bit too much automatic movement and the inability to phase through walls. The latter is especially evident in VR missions, where the missions would be made easier simply by lowering the walls of the rooms so the camera wouldn't get stuck.

demidar

Just want to jump in here and note two problems: a bit too much automatic movement and the inability to phase through walls. The latter is especially evident in VR missions, where the missions would be made easier simply by lowering the walls of the rooms so the camera wouldn't get stuck.

It also goes apeshit in corners and sometimes walls. It's also too close to Raiden, cutting off a lot of vision around you.

Auto-corrects, sometimes it's too close and/or low, the soft lock sometimes goes crazy, enemies attack from off camera with no warning, gets stuck on walls instead of phasing through or using transparency to keep everything in frame, etc. It's not a great camera system. Very evident when fighting multiple enemies, and in the VR missions. Doesn't ruin the game, but it makes things harder than they have to be sometimes.

NIN90

This LE guide is really great.

Multiple strategies for S-ranking every ranked battle, collectibles, artwork, all that jazz.

Now I want to S-rank every encounter on Revengeance.

katkombat

Banned
Well the final boss is kicking my ass. Get him down to at MOST 170% and die. I'm starting to think I'm terrible at this game. I saw a video where someone took NO damage but was doing so much damage with the Muramasa. I have the HF Blade damage fully upgraded, but, I suppose those don't carry over to the Muramasa? Any tips? I can't parry this bastard at all... :/

Edit: Damn, this is super easy now. Just using A+X to dodge.

Well the final boss is kicking my ass. Get him down to at MOST 170% and die. I'm starting to think I'm terrible at this game. I saw a video where someone took NO damage but was doing so much damage with the Muramasa. I have the HF Blade damage fully upgraded, but, I suppose those don't carry over to the Muramasa? Any tips? I can't parry this bastard at all... :/

use the dodge move

katkombat

Banned
He was actually really easy when you figure out his moves. And holy shit the song on the credits is awesome. I fucking love this game. It's probably my second or third favorite game this gen. It's one of my favorites. I was gonna start vanquish or binary domain but I think I'm gonna replay this haha.

Just finished R6. There are times when the game feels very Metal Gear-ish, and other times it reminds me of PS2's Shinobi/Nightshade with bland and sparse environments but amazingly fluid 60fps gameplay.

Feels like there's a meatier story to be told here, and there's glimpses of it in the codecs, but a lot of it was cut in the end.

Also, so much thought and research put into the codecs. Was this the fruit of the failed development period in Kojipro? lol

Anyway, if a sequel happens, I hope it'll have an even stronger mix of the two companies' DNA. That could be something really special.

ultron87

I beat Monsoon last night and I really don't know why.

is there actually a way to get him out of his "can't hit me" separated state faster or to deal with the sequence where he attacks with sais, then legs, then torso? Or do you just need to defend everything you can until he becomes solid again and then hit him as much as you can?

duckroll

is there actually a way to get him out of his "can't hit me" separated state faster or to deal with the sequence where he attacks with sais, then legs, then torso? Or do you just need to defend everything you can until he becomes solid again and then hit him as much as you can?

If you keep attacking him, you can stagger and scatter his body, and then attack his head when it's on the ground. Another way is to wait for him to do a series of sai attacks and parry them all. At the end of that if you do it right there's a chance to use Blade Mode to slice his head off for the same result.

ZeroRay

EM Grenade him to stun him at that state. The battle gives you some free ones as a hint.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

EM Grenades and his own weapon that you get after the fight put him in a stun state that interrupts both of those phases.

Achieving a perfect parry that hits his body during the sais,legs, torso pattern at any time will also put him in a stun state

and while stunned like duckroll said you can Zandatsu his head to break him apart and deal free damage for a while until he recovers

edit: I'm not sure I understand what counts as spoilers in this thread

In other threads for similar games, strategies were fair game once the thing was out. As long as you don't use proper nouns that would ruin story sequences later on for new players

I do wonder what the exact details of what it takes to get Monsoon out of his magnet mode via damage. Pretty much every time I fight him there are several times where I stinger him after he is done with a move and he falls apart instantly. Certain parries will always trigger the zandatsu moment that will make him fall apart immediately but I am not sure about the other way.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Some of that stuff wouldn't look out of place in Bayonetta(specifically, the Isla del Sol).

Well Bayonetta had a magic cargo plane with a large mast on the top of it

So pretty much anything goes in that universe

I've only played the game for a couple of hours yesterday so I might be missing something that wasn't in the tutorial but in a situation where I'm in the middle of several enemies, if I slice one up while another is behind me, he'll be in a blind spot where I can't tell when he's attacking, making it a bit frustrating to block.

Dawg

Just completed the Monsoon battle on normal. I think I spent like 10 potions or so.

As this is on normal difficulty, I think I'm still doing something wrong on this game. It's like I don't get something about it. I try to parry most of his attacks, but sometimes Raiden just doesn't do it (after the flashing red eye).

And then Monsoon jumps on me and puts his swords in my head. Or he sends his legs at me and I can't avoid them. I've also been able to parry him of course, but other times, he just wrecks my shit and I can't do anything (waggle the stick to break free).

With this in mind, I have no idea how people even manage a full S rank on revengeance. When he creates this dust cloud however, I seem to parry him just fine (9/10 times).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just completed the Monsoon battle on normal. I think I spent like 10 potions or so.

As this is on normal difficulty, I think I'm still doing something wrong on this game. It's like I don't get something about it. I try to parry most of his attacks, but sometimes Raiden just doesn't do it (after the flashing red eye).

And then Monsoon jumps on me and puts his swords in my head. Or he sends his legs at me and I can't avoid them. I've also been able to parry him of course, but other times, he just wrecks my shit and I can't do anything (waggle the stick to break free).

With this in mind, I have no idea how people even manage a full S rank on revengeance. When he creates this dust cloud however, I seem to parry him just fine (9/10 times).

Are you pressing TOWARDS your opponent and tapping the weak attack button at the same time? Are you doing it for every single strike and not just once? If the block isn't even coming out, you're either doing it too late or you're not inputting towards correctly.

mattp

i guess i'll join the club and post this too
i think 75% of my deaths were on the last boss because of something i was doing stupid haha.
one of the best final bosses in a game i've played in SOOOO long. in fact, right now, i can't think of a better one this entire gen
882462_10100145322948756_2000896482_o.jpg

LiK

Wow, 10 potions? He was easy for me. Parried most of his attacks no problem. Fun boss. It was on another level.

The game plays so well when you're given the ability to lock on to one guy but boy oh boy does the camera fucking suck when you're facing multiple high HP opponents.

I don't mind having to swing the camera around so long as its responsive--I did it in the NG series with little effort, mostly because it was quick, a little farther away from the character and you didn't have to be quite as precise due to the light amount of magnetism that game had + lock on attacks.

In revengeance I pretty much just Ninja Run to get them all on screen, hone in on my target, go at them with some combos and back out to reset again, which isn't awful, but could be done a hell of a lot better.

I just massively fucked up BIG TIME. I went to start a new game, hoping to keep all my upgrades and by accident saved over it. All that for nothing. FML. I was so pumped to go through the game again, leveled up and trying out the new weapons and combos.

Also to beat the final boss I just replayed the entire level again while being cheap with my health potions. Beat him on my first try.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just got to the last boss, wtf is going on? Why does this fool have super armour? How long am I gonna have to hit this ninja?

Offensive Defense. Don't commit hard to attacks, and be ready to use dodge when necessary.

I just massively fucked up BIG TIME. I went to start a new game, hoping to keep all my upgrades and by accident saved over it. All that for nothing. FML. I was so pumped to go through the game again, leveled up and trying out the new weapons and combos.

Also to beat the final boss I just replayed the entire level again while being cheap with my health potions. Beat him on my first try.

That sucks so much. I feel for you. It should be much easier the second time through, though, now that you have a hang of the system.

just make sure your parrying toward the attacker and not just pressing up. And you want to parry a millisecond after the red eye when he just begins his combo. I think they need to be in motion in order for the parry to go thru the motion

Also you have to press toward + light attack button every time you are attacked to perform consecutive parries.

The dodge move you purchase in the move list (press light attack + jump) can get you out of intense close quarter situations because of the invincibility frames

ultron87

I feel like there's something I still don't get about the parry, but the game isn't giving me any feedback about what I'm doing wrong. Like on Monsoon I could always parry the first part of any of his combos, but anything further than that was really hit or miss. Maybe I'm just hitting the button too often or something? And then once he gets a hit in you it seems impossible to recover since he randomly stupid wiggle the stick stuns you.

Like is it possible to fully parry the part where he turns into a cloud and shoots a bunch of parts at you? Because I could parry the first couple as well as a few random ones in the middle of the sequence but most of them would always end up hitting. Of course, the full proof solution is just to Ninja Run that attack to dodge it.

My big complaint about this game in general so far is that it just doesn't give you enough feedback on why you are doing well or not. You don't know precisely why you got hit a lot of the time when other times you parry stuff fine and then you sometimes randomly get stunned. And then the stunning takes a seemingly random amount of stick wiggling to get out of. Enemies don't really react to your hits a lot of the time too until they actually get staggered.

I think a lot of this is to do with the primary means of defense being a parry which is kind of hard to grock just how useful or not useful it is. You can't parry yellow attacks, but it isn't really clear if enemy combos can be parried. I think most of them can be and my timing is just bad, but I'm still not positive about it. In DmC or Bayonetta I also know why I got hit: because I didn't dodge at the right time. So when I die in those I feel like it is my fault. In this a lot of the times I get hit it feels like there was nothing I could've done. This game obviously wants to make defense harder than a universal invincible dodge, which is fine, but it is taking way longer to get used to and the general lack of explanation on the system isn't helping. So it has gotten kind of frustrating which results in me swearing at the TV a lot. Really just a quick "Advanced Defense" VR mission that is like "hey, you can parry ANYTHING that is a red attack, including combos, but you need to be really precise on your timing, so here's a practice dude" would be super useful.

I'm playing on Hard, so I should be dying since I'm still not great at the game, but giving me some more feedback would be lovely.

Tonza

Good god I hate the game atm.

Spent an hour trying to beat the last? boss on hard. I just can't get the blade mode stuff right and die there over and over again.

Zabka

Blade mode was way easier for me with Type B control. I hate games that swap the camera stick. You can also line up the cut with the left stick and then hit a an attack button to swing instead of letting go of the stick. Was just a bit more accurate for me.

Top Bottom