• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Guess Who

Banned
Haven't gotten it yet. I intend to as soon as I'll have some time to play it. I'm curious though, as I haven't read or heard anything about extra abilities other than the different weapons. Are there new abilities to purchase later? And does the gameplay evolve further than what was in the demo? (aside from switching weapons of course)
There are purchasable abilities, although some are already available in the demo. The biggest gameplay changer between the demo and the full game is the full game has some much more challenging enemies than you see in the demo - Raiden's moveset in the demo is pretty representative of what you get in the full game (barring
Ripper Mode
), but you'll be forced to apply them effectively for each enemy type. Full game also has more stealth than you see in the demo, though you can just forego most of it if you want to just fight your way through.

The final boss was almost kind of anti-climactic on Revengeance mode.
I was not expecting the pummel QTE to take off an entire 100% of his life, holy shit.
Now I'll look for the last few collectibles and finish the last half of the VR missions.

Haven't gotten it yet. I intend to as soon as I'll have some time to play it. I'm curious though, as I haven't read or heard anything about extra abilities other than the different weapons. Are there new abilities to purchase later? And does the gameplay evolve further than what was in the demo? (aside from switching weapons of course)

More moves that you have to purchase. Make sure to pause the game and select "help" to see move inputs after buying them. You can purchase moves for each of the weapons you acquire. Keep in mind you can only see the inputs for a particular sub-weapon when you have it equipped. You can select which weapons/sub-weapons you want to use in the customization menu or in-game using the d-pad item selection screen.

There are many different types of enemies that demand different strategies.

Also, make sure to use AR view to find enemies whose left hands you need to cut off and acquire. They're indicated by a blinking square in AR mode. Those unlock new things (I think other main weapons, but I can't quite remember).

Kard8p3

Not sure if anyone posted, but the concert from the other night is up.

http://wp.me/ppp63-1eV

So proud of the players on our soundtrack. They sound great live, even if the monitors on stage were really hard to hear.

I know this is a few days old now but I have a question. Under vocalists it says that Howard Jones was there but I didn't see him. Was whatever he did left out of the video or did I just miss something? Also when it says Howard Jones does it mean the former Killswitch Engage singer or a different Howard Jones?

SystemBug

It's funny how you mention music compositions and pointing out how some of Rising's music differs from the rest of the series, when in fact every MGS has had different influences/styles of music throughout the series aside from the usual BGM music.

MGS1- electronic
MGS2- Jazz
MGS3- 60's
MGS4- Orchestra
MGRR- Rock

Not saying you have to like it, but in a weird way I feel the music still retains that "Metal Gear feel" because like every Metal Gear game before it, the music matches the setting/style of the game

But seriously, I'm not even a fan of the type of music, and even I get hyped when the lyrics kick in mid battle.

I feel like a
mighty morphin power ranger :p
Well for me, it's not even about the particular genre of music as long as it's done well.

Maybe I'll like it more as I spend more time with the game but I felt DmC really nailed the music for the type of game it was. It had a consistent theme.

For example the music in the Mistral boss fight felt really off putting to me.

I listen to a lot of rock music and in my head I'm just thinking they could have done so much better with what we got.

Oh man I hope you guys don't think I'm crapping on the game to much or looking too deep into it.

UB2i9Xp.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well for me, it's not even about the particular genre of music as long as it's done well.

Maybe I'll like it more as I spend more time with the game but I felt DmC really nailed the music for the type of game it was. It had a consistent theme.

I listen to a lot of rock music and in my head I'm just thinking they could have done so much better with what we got.

Oh man I hope you guys don't think I'm crapping on the game to much or looking too deep into it.

How depressing.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Just block them and have the Sai at the ready, fully charged. When his arm retracts, toss the Sai and finish up.

Monsoon is actually the easiest to no damage once you learn the timing of a few things. The biggest thing you have to worry about is the trucks being off screen a little too much so you can't hit them before they explode on you. My strat bursts him down with hard mode level HP so he is forced to skip a lot of his more offensive phases to minimize time spent parrying (and therefore time in which you could possible screw up) though this doesn't mean you should not make your own judgement of when it is a good idea to parry. Instead of pincer smash.

Just equip a maxed out muramasa, EMP nades (wig is optional if you have less than 3 nades) and the maxed out pincer swords. Basically my strat is you start off with a charged pincer and hopefully you connect with him before he hits you. If that goes as planned he will be at around 70% hp which will force him to skip the smoke nade phase. Just hit him a few more times with your sword to bring him to 65% which is the first car tossing phase. After that he lands EMP him and run up to him and blade mode his head off. Walk towards the head Rev up a pincer sword attack and release it on the head and charge up a follow up swing and release it as soon as his body forms. be sure to watch in case you need to parry. If you did that right it will put him at around 43% which will trigger the next car throwing phase. After that he lands and you repeat the same thing you did after EMPing him. Following this you will get him throwing those two huge balls of metal at you, parry the ball two times and blade mode it down. Finally he lands and does a bunch of shit from a distance, all you have to do is parry like 15 or so attacks till he stands still and you EMP him and blade mode his head off, after that you should have im at about 20ish percent and he flies up for the last car phase, then he lands and does another metal ball attack. Immediately after that he throws the pillar at you which you need to r1 + forward stick then blade mode the pillar in half and then triangle circle kill him.

Riposte

I wish on a higher difficulty Monsoon's disappear-reappear attack was so fast it was "blink and you miss it". Given how lenient parry I think the effect they were going for is lost there.

EDIT: I hate calling cheesy things "cheesy". Its overindulgent in the way gorging on a fudge sundae is, but you won't ever hear me put down a sundae in a roundabout way.

Pachinko

My thoughts on this game last week after having time only for mission 0 - "this is okay I guess , not sure I'm playing it correctly though". I was left mildly frustrated with the camera and obviously the first level doesn't have zandetsu right off the bat either so some of the cooler mechanics don't exist yet.

Yesterday I finally had time to play some more and made it most of the way through mission 1 ... my initial thought that I had to be playing it incorrectly proved to be correct. Without a dodge,roll or block button the game literally gives you no choice but to parry everything and you get a crash course fighting Wolf. Also, why are half the tutorial levels blocked off ? would it not make more sense to give the player all of them at the start and while they're at it open up the first couple VR missions too , they showcase some of the mechanics without as harsh a penalty as the main game. I ended up quitting last night in the warehouse section before the first real boss fight wondering what to make of this whole affair.

Today, as with many previous actions games, things started to "click". I bought a bunch of upgrades for Raiden and got a better grasp of parrying and another unexplained gameplay concept - limbs turning blue - became more apparent to me. In this day and age I'm so used to videogames showing me how to do quite literally everything that whenever they fail to mention something in a tutorial or otherwise I just don't think it means anything. Getting back into the mode of discovering how to play a game on my own just took a couple hours I guess.

I'm still not 100% convinced the way this game works is the best way it could have been done though, I'll reserve full judgement for whenever I finish playing it but it seems like Platinum can vastly improve many aspects in this game if they are allowed to run a bit more wild with their own ideas then they obviously were here. This is MGR , not MGS and yet it still has tons of archaic ideas that don't suit MGR nearly as well- codec conversations (even though I've been enjoying them) , the way items and sub weapons are selected in a pause menu and finally the existence of sub weapons at all. Why would I ever want to toss a grenade when I could hack things to bits instead ? It's just needed.

Also, as cool as the blade mode is in theory, in practice it ends up being the same thing every time. I propose a sequel do away with it. Instead, use it sparingly against strong enemies/bosses/killmoves and instead of the stick snap or vertical/horizontal buttons how about a jet set radio style QTE ? I do think the stab and grab is a nice gameplay idea but it could be made better in a sequel if they got rid of the blade mode part. Just have Raiden land a killing blow and you simply have a second to grab it out for full power.

Vodh

Got my Wig B after going for a litte leftie hunt, already know what I'm gonna do next.

First comes a Jetstream Sam tribute playthrough - game on hard, desperado armor, Murasama blade only, full Ripper Mode ripthrough, gonna feast that blade on the enemies!

And then I'll probably go replay MGS, play MGS 2-4 + peace walker for the first time ever, and then come back to Revengeance for a full codec playthrough.

Got my Wig B after going for a litte leftie hunt, already know what I'm gonna do next.

First comes a Jetstream Sam tribute playthrough - game on hard, desperado armor, Murasama blade only, full Ripper Mode ripthrough, gonna feast that blade on the enemies!

And then I'll probably go replay MGS, play MGS 2-4 + peace walker for the first time ever, and then come back to Revengeance for a full codec playthrough.

I would play an entire game as Jetstream Sam. I love that character to death.

I understand your attempts at criticism. I simply do not find them entertaining.

Your memes... end here

Just fought Monsoon, dat music. I was getting salty because before that I hadn't used any of the items (aside from the RPG for that one section). Had no idea what to do when he turned purple for about 20 minutes lol

Roto13

I am a lover of milk and diary and nobody can take that away from me...nobody...

I guess I am just a hipster.

Also has the release date been confirmed for the Wonderful 100? Any chance of a demo?

Are you asking me because I'm Kamiya?

The Wonderful 101 has a Q2 release window now, but we'll see.

Astral

Woah, someone who doesn't like the music? That's blasphemous. The music is hype as fuck. My favorites are probably Mistral's and
Metal Gear Excelsus'

MAKING WHOLE THE FABRIC OF SOCIIIIIIIIIIIETYYYYY.

Kard8p3

MormaPope

Banned
The song during the Armstrong fight gave me motivation to keep trying on Revengeance difficulty with zero nano paste.

I ended that battle with four nano pastes.

SystemBug

Are you asking me because I'm Kamiya?

The Wonderful 101 has a Q2 release window now, but we'll see.
Just a question for everybody and thanks for answering! Much appreciated.

My WiiU has been reduced to a Top Gear Netflix machine however I have been catching up on some old Wii games. A lot of old Wii games are still expensive sadly. Galaxy 2 is still up at $40 I believe. The only cheap game I see is Metroid Other M and I have heard a lot of bad things about it.

Kusagari

I've heard, no idea if it's true, that the Japanese version is nowhere near as funny and completely neuters lines like "Let it rip!"

Top Bottom