• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
On the last boss enter blade mode even when you are stood infront of him and he will cancel the regen.

You'll lose health though, but it still stops it. It's what I did the first time because I got health to spare.

Finished it finally, managed to get the first QTE done on the final boss to get the x3 health packs. Wouldn't of done it without those.

On the whole, it's a great game, but it's flawed in certain areas.

+ Combat on the whole is excellent. Parrying makes you feel like a god and it's very solid.
+ Cool areas that you play through
+ Nice game length, no filler
+ Some of the best bosses I've ever fought
+ 60fps target is good. Sticks to it OK
+ It fits in with the Metal Gear universe nicely
+
Wolf
is rad
+ Excellent music

- Camera, camera, camera. Really, shit. Worst than Bayonetta which is odd
- The waggle stunned state is shit. I'd rather be instantly killed than that
- QTE's need to fuck off
- Blade Mode sucks during the last boss and
Sundowner
. Junk. Not enough time to line up with imprecise controls. It just isn't needed and feels like it's almost in the game because of the original tech demo
- Codec's didn't really fit the game, didn't use them once (obviously I know why they're in the game)
- The "Raiden! Raiden! Raaaiiidden!!!" death voice got old very fucking fast when on last boss
- Last boss was a true fucker. Savage damage from Blade Mode mistakes.

Will play through again at soon. Don't want to go back to it immediately like I did with Bayonetta and Vanquish though...

Man, I honestly thought the blade mode sections during the bosses were really easy, but then again I was using manual blade mode for quite a bit of the game.

demidar

Man, I honestly thought the blade mode sections during the bosses were really easy, but then again I was using manual blade mode for quite a bit of the game.

Sticks for precision, buttons for spamming/cutting missiles. Never had a problem with Blade Mode, could cut whatever I wanted 95% of the time, including multiple spines in a single slide Blade Mode, Slider/air zandatsues, (boss stuff)
Mistral's staff, Monsoon's head, Sundowner's shields, Armstrong's rocks and aura shield thing
. For accuracy, just release the stick as opposed to wiggling it.

Peace Tea

Currently about to start the game on Hard. I should save my no-hit boss runs for Revengeance difficulty, right? I'm being trophy conscious, and it seems like S-rank boss fights are unachievable if you get hit, at least on Revengeance.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Currently about to start the game on Hard. I should save my no-hit boss runs for Revengeance difficulty, right? I'm being trophy conscious, and it seems like S-rank boss fights are unachievable if you get hit, at least on Revengeance.

I would. I regret doing the no-damage runs on Hard since I'm going to have to do it again on Revengeance anyway. Good practice, though.

It's easier to get the no-hit trophies on a lower difficulty, and I don't think you should go for it on the first playthrough. It's a very replayable game, just enjoy the ride first time through.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Last bosses throw attack is so stupid. It's better to just dodge it than try to parry it. :| That said, it's a pretty epic battle but I lost with 0 health packs at 25%. Gotta attempt it again and be more careful.

Astral

So how old is Sunny? It kinda looks like it says 17 on the codec but the text is so damn small. I thought it said Kevin was 24 until I heard the codec where they say his proper age.

Peace Tea

Sorry, I should have mentioned this will be my 2nd play through.

That's exactly what i was worried about, Guardian. You, well specifically you, have to do it again to meet the S-Rank requirement, right?

joe2187

Banned

That's exactly what i was worried about, Guardian. You, well specifically you, have to do it again to meet the S-Rank requirement, right?

Not specifically, You can still gain an S Rank with taking damage....you'll just have to meet certain other conditions...if you ever sustain enough damage where you would die in the next hit just remember to hit restart otherwise it will fuck up your timer.

demidar

Not specifically, You can still gain an S Rank with taking damage....you'll just have to meet certain other conditions...if you ever sustain enough damage where you would die in the next hit just remember to hit restart otherwise it will fuck up your timer.

What an interesting quirk.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

If I can meet the scoring requirements without the no damage, then I could squeak by without doing it... but I think that more often than not, getting the no damage bonus is easier than trying to max out some of the other requirements.

What an interesting quirk.

Yeah, dying fucks everything up. I kept A ranking this one fight over and over and I was really confused until I looked at the timer. It said that I was taking several minutes more than the fight was taking me because I died on my first try. ALWAYS have a Nanopaste handy so that you don't die in one hit.

Peace Tea

This clears that up then. I thought that: Getting hit by boss=No S-rank.

Really? So I thought the game took place 9 years after MGS4. I guess it's more like 2?

In one of the ending cutscenes, maybe Sunny's, 3 years is specifically mentioned, iirc.

Why doesn't Mistral have eyebrows :(

MGR_BossBattles_Mistral03_MGSTV.jpg

?

Can someone explain to me the checkpoint system. For some people they can just hit restart and have all the time and no damage restart. For me every time I restart the time accumulates meaning it is impossible to get an S rank.

What is going on???

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can someone explain to me the checkpoint system. For some people they can just hit restart and have all the time and no damage restart. For me every time I restart the time accumulates meaning it is impossible to get an S rank.

What is going on???

If you die, the time becomes cumulative. You need to press start and restart before you die.

If you die, the time becomes cumulative. You need to press start and restart before you die.

Not for everyone. Check out the trophy guide on that trophy website, they say just restart after you die, everything gets reset. They even talk about it in the message board.

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/metal-gear-rising-revengeance/189543-wip-tips-revengence-s-ranks-spoilers.html

"Tip Five
dieing in a fight or boss battle holds zero penalties you can restart or retry and you can still get your S ranks without any issues so don't be afraid to make mistakes or feel bad over a AI cheap shot "

demidar

It's really dumb that there's a separation, considering that you can restart anytime you want, especially before you die. The penalty for dying has an unfair burden of knowledge not to mention is completely moot when someone is in the know.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Not for everyone. Check out the trophy guide on that trophy website, they say just restart after you die, everything gets reset. They even talk about it in the message board.

Eh, I have no idea. It's always better to be safe and just manually restart. If you're going for S-ranks on Revengeance, it's not all that tough to just restart before you die.

Sticks for precision, buttons for spamming/cutting missiles. Never had a problem with Blade Mode, could cut whatever I wanted 95% of the time, including multiple spines in a single slide Blade Mode, Slider/air zandatsues, (boss stuff)
Mistral's staff, Monsoon's head, Sundowner's shields, Armstrong's rocks and aura shield thing
. For accuracy, just release the stick as opposed to wiggling it.

Or line up the cut and hit an attack button.

Astral

I restart the second I get hit. Not damage pretty much guarantees an S. I don't wanna risk getting hit, especially when some battle save right when they're over.

Playing through it now, trying to take it all in and not rush it as I hear it's like 4 hours tops...
I'm in
Denver
right now, think I'm nearing the end of the chapter.
Most recent proper boss was Mistral who I thought was surprisingly pretty easy. I'd imagine they get a lot harder from what I've heard though.

Really enjoying it now, I think it's at it's best when you're in sword vs sword combat. It can get a little messy with people shooting at you and throwing grenades, can be a little difficult to manage close and far enemies in times like that. Especially when there is, as far as I know, no way to deflect bullets while not running about with Ninja run.

Also the Dwarf Gekkos are annoying as shit. Seriously I don't understand why they're even there in a lot of encounters. They die in a couple hits, but when you're trying to focus on the main enemy/enemies you and these guys keep trying to grab you or shoot you from afar (usually both), it can be so annoying. Their grab also seems to totally cancel animations too - I was jumping off something into a drop kick and one of them just grabbed me, Raiden reverted to the standing position, dropped to the ground and the rest of the wriggle animation continued. Suuuuch a pain. I've never understood this in games like this. The harpies in God of War for example. I just try and kill all of them first and then get on to the actual enemy because they're just annoying.

Also the section in the dark sucked. I have no idea why Raiden doesn't have some form of active night vision separate to the visor which can't be used in combat or while running...

There have been a few times when I'll encounter a new enemy type, get thrown around a ton - restart the checkpoint and learn their attacks and be able to get some great fights going. That's a lot of fun. I hated those white guys with the swords at first, but now they're one of my favourite enemies - parry strings with them are a lot of fun.

My main issue though is the camera. Holy shit it's bad. The combat is so much fun but you can be thrown off so easily when the camera decides to totally flip from looking one way to the complete opposite direction, even when not targeting an enemy. Or when the camera seems to randomly pull off to one side really quickly. It's just odd and really, really distracting and obtrusive.

What are the parameters for an S rank? can you only get it after receiving no damage in an encounter?

Eh, I have no idea. It's always better to be safe and just manually restart. If you're going for S-ranks on Revengeance, it's not all that tough to just restart before you die.

Almost everything one hit kills you (in the first level) and once you are hit you cant press start.

Endo Punk

Good ol Blade Wolf clued us in what to expect from Samuel DLC. He mentioned that he and Sam worked together on 3 missions. Wish he was used a lot more in the game but Im glad he will be in both DLC.

Sephzilla

Playing through it now, trying to take it all in and not rush it as I hear it's like 4 hours tops...

The game should only be that long if you're just speed running everything and/or skipping conversations or cutscenes. My first time through the game was about 8 hours long and that wasnt even with a lot of the optional codec stuff.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Good ol Blade Wolf clued us in what to expect from Samuel DLC. He mentioned that he and Sam worked together on 3 missions. Wish he was used a lot more in the game but Im glad he will be in both DLC.

It would be awesome if the DLCs were those three missions told from each of their sides.

DrBo42

For those that have beaten the game: I just watched the Giant Bomb QL and saw a codec call referenced
George...
Please tell me a certain George from MGS2 does not return as a boss here

The game should only be that long if you're just speed running everything and/or skipping conversations or cutscenes. My first time through the game was about 8 hours long and that wasnt even with a lot of the optional codec stuff.

I listened to all the codec calls, the game took me about 15 hours to complete.

winstano

For those that have beaten the game: I just watched the Giant Bomb QL and saw a codec call referenced
George...
Please tell me a certain George from MGS2 does not return as a boss here

George is a new character.
Further spoiler:
There's a reference to Sears in the game, but nothing more

Robot Pants

http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/metal-gear-rising-revengeance/189543-wip-tips-revengence-s-ranks-spoilers.html

"Tip Five
dieing in a fight or boss battle holds zero penalties you can restart or retry and you can still get your S ranks without any issues so don't be afraid to make mistakes or feel bad over a AI cheap shot "

Honestly this is false. I've tested this myself a few days ago. I tested it on the first encounter in R01.
I let myself get killed then hit retry. I proceeded the next time to parry the enemies and Zandatsud all of them. When the clear screen came up, no No Damage bonus.

Tried the same thing again, but instead of dying, I just took a little damage. Retired then perfected the encounter. Got the No Damage Bonus.

Just through playing the game you can see that that information is false. Dying makes a difference. Otherwise you wouldn't see the checkpoint symbol come up when you die.

Top Bottom