• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Raxus

Honestly this is false. I've tested this myself a few days ago. I tested it on the first encounter in R01.
I let myself get killed then hit retry. I proceeded the next time to parry the enemies and Zandatsud all of them. When the clear screen came up, no No Damage bonus.

Tried the same thing again, but instead of dying, I just took a little damage. Retired then perfected the encounter. Got the No Damage Bonus.

Just through playing the game you can see that that information is false. Dying makes a difference. Otherwise you wouldn't see the checkpoint symbol come up when you die.

Death retries count (for time) I heard. I am fairly confident you can still earn the no damage bonus from a death restart.

Deitus

Another interesting bit about the checkpointing, any time the game saves during an encounter, it will save your time in that encounter and if you've taken damage. So if you happen to call Courtney and save after you have taken damage or have wasted time in an encounter (remember, some encounters start the clock as soon as you enter the room, even if you haven't attacked an enemy or been spotted yet), you might screw yourself out of being able to get the S rank on a restart.

But what is especially interesting, is that this applies any time the save logo appears on your screen for any reason. So if you happen to collect a Left Arm, or a Data Chip, it will save your current time and whether you have taken damage. Luckily, this will pretty much never happen again once you have all of the collectibles (unless there is some other condition for auto-save I am forgetting), but it is a potential problem if you are trying to get collectibles and S ranks in the same playthrough (like I am).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No the first level where you have none of your powers or health.

Ohhh, the Prologue. Yeah, you die in one hit. Gotta restart if you get hit, but it doesn't take long to get to the boss again. There are only two fights that count in the Prologue. Avoid everything else.

And again, to avoid having to do that difficult prologue opening fight again, you can reach Ray, get the checkpoint, go back to the Title Screen and copy your save onto another file. That way if you screw up, you can reload that new file

Funny enough though, I did it on my first try, after struggling with it on Very Hard. Once you learn all his attacks and what leads to damage, it's pretty manageable

Is there a way to stand still and deflect bullets? Trying for a no damage run seems like it could be really annoying if I can't find a better way to deal with the random bits of bullet fire that will hit me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can someone explain VR Missions? I am completing them but I am not getting a time for doing so. Not even on the first one.

Any ideas?

Your best time is still recorded, but I'm not sure if it displays your time until you get a gold, silver, or bronze medal. Whenever you restart a VR mission, it tells you your personal best at the top of the screen.

Your best time is still recorded, but I'm not sure if it displays your time until you get a gold, silver, or bronze medal. Whenever you restart a VR mission, it tells you your personal best at the top of the screen.

How do you get medals then? The requirement criteria isn't being explained either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can you actually farm VR missions? I thought you just got the difference of BP if you improve on your previous run.

Raxus

Can you actually farm VR missions? I thought you just got the difference of BP if you improve on your previous run.

Some of the harder ones you 'can' if you get the time/no damage bonuses. Don't expect much though. You are better off running through the campaign.

Raxus

So.. where are VR Missions then?

I chose VR Missions from the front end menu.

You unlock them in the campaign. They are desperado consoles lying around the map. First one is in chapter 1 and they even point it out to you. The rest are hidden/easy to miss.

Sephzilla

Is there a way to stand still and deflect bullets? Trying for a no damage run seems like it could be really annoying if I can't find a better way to deal with the random bits of bullet fire that will hit me.

I dont think so. If Raiden could just auto deflect bullets all the time then enemies with guns would really be useless.

Here's the parry tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgelipF6s_w

It says to have the stick in the direction of the attack and press light attack at the correct moment. That's it. I don't think it is an questionable assumption at all.

Actually, it says to push the stick in the direction of the attack. You can't actively push something when it's being held down. If they wanted you to do the latter, they would have said "hold".

Have you ever performed a basic parry while already having the left stick held in a direction? Didn't you always have to push the stick as the attack was coming?

Look, I'm really just saying that the game should teach you its base mechanics a little more thoroughly so that when you die it is because you screwed up and not because you weren't even doing something correctly in the first place or didn't know something like the dodge move existed. I have anecdotal evidence that other people I know have had similar troubles, and I'm sure you can find it elsewhere in the thread.

When it's your fault for doing the wrong thing in the first place, it is your screw up.

Also, the dodge move is literally the second move you can buy in the store, is indicated as a defensive move in its very name, and is the cheapest thing in the store along with aerial parry; how could you not know it existed by then?

@anecdotal evidence: And? There are also people who didn't have that problem.

Vodh

From a random youtube comment:

It's kinda cool how if you combine the start Samuel and Raiden's name it spells samurai.

Mind=blown.

You can parry them. Otherwise, I think you just need to keep moving. Raiden's not designed to be standing still very often.

You can parry bullets? Yeah I get that but it's a pain when you're dealing with sword guys and parrying them and there's some dude over to the side shooting at you or a gecko or something.

Probably played the demo for a good 2 hours last night. I think I'm hooked, which is odd, as I don't usually gravitate toward this type of game at all.

The first hour, as expected, I kinda sucked and had little idea of how anything worked, but after giving it a break and coming back to it, it all clicked momentously. It was great.

So, a few questions!

How does the actual game stack up visually compared to the demo?

How does it fare in terms of pacing and variation? Are there lulls?

I managed an 'S Rank' once... And outside of not sustaining damage and keeping up combos, I have not much of an idea why. Do I Zandatsu everything? Do I parry everything? Do I go nuts and try to get as many hits in as possible?

Cheers, (reven)gents.

Viewtify

Banned
Finally S ranked Revengeance difficulty with no Wigs or Fox Blade. It wasn't too bad...

The hardest levels were R-03, and R-04. Once you get past that, it is smooth sailing until the final boss.

jqznoyE.jpg

Time to quickly finish up the rest of the achievements.

NIN90

Finally S ranked Revengeance difficulty with no Wigs or Fox Blade. It wasn't too bad...

The hardest levels were R-03, and R-04. Once you get past that, it is smooth sailing until the final boss.

jqznoyE.jpg

Time to quickly finish up the rest of the achievements.

Did you have to S-Rank every battle to achieve the S-rank for the chapter?

hank_tree

Ugh I'm still waiting on my copy from Zavvi. If it doesn't come tomorrow I might just buy a second copy and trade it back when the Zavvi copy arrives.

Astral

I have a question that one fight in R-04 where you run from a bunch of enemies while everything collapses. I'm reading in a guide that if I make it to the end in under 2 minutes I get 5000 points. Is this accurate?

Viewtify

Banned
I have a question that one fight in R-04 where you run from a bunch of enemies while everything collapses. I'm reading in a guide that if I make it to the end in under 2 minutes I get 5000 points. Is this accurate?

Yeah, run to the end without getting hit and kill the GRAD for an S.

katkombat

Banned
Probably played the demo for a good 2 hours last night. I think I'm hooked, which is odd, as I don't usually gravitate toward this type of game at all.

The first hour, as expected, I kinda sucked and had little idea of how anything worked, but after giving it a break and coming back to it, it all clicked momentously. It was great.

So, a few questions!

How does the actual game stack up visually compared to the demo?

How does it fare in terms of pacing and variation? Are there lulls?

I managed an 'S Rank' once... And outside of not sustaining damage and keeping up combos, I have not much of an idea why. Do I Zandatsu everything? Do I parry everything? Do I go nuts and try to get as many hits in as possible?

Cheers, (reven)gents.

1. Yeah, it's pretty much the same. Framerate might be a bit more improved though I can't really tell if it is.
2. I wasn't bored at all at any point. The pacing is great and the levels offer some varied battles. No lulls, though bosses can be frustrating.
This is just my opinion though. Have fun! ;)

Oh and as for S-Ranks, do a bit of everything. Be careful, parry, hit hit hit, slice, zandatsu.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It would be awesome if the DLCs were those three missions told from each of their sides.

Dunno, I also want at least one mission set in the current story time that has you controlling Wolf scouting ahead.

RangerBAD

I got so lucky. All my no damage trophies went off without a hitch. I was on a roll after Monsoon (thank you base Pincers and dodge-offset). I was sweating every time I beat one, hoping the trophy would come up. Now I need to clear up some other trophies, find some miscellaneous stuff and prep for all S Revengeance run by beating Very Hard.

Edit: Did people see the first week Japanese sales of the game?

From a random youtube comment:

It's kinda cool how if you combine the start Samuel and Raiden's name it spells samurai.

Mind=blown.

Samuraiden?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Is there any point to buying the -1 for the Wooden Sword? I want to get everything for completion's sake but I don't want to make the weapon worse. Is it toggleable or does it make it a better nonlethal weapon?

The soundtrack for this game is my new go-to music for when I go running. Seriously pumps me up and makes me want to reach new distances. Such awesome stuff.

Top Bottom