• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

There are a few encounters that require you to be spotted in order to be completed.

A good example is that large area in the demo with the 2 geckos and several patrols, I can stealth kill all of them, but afterwards no ranking screen shows up, do I have to get spotted for that one? If so , do the stealth kills I do before getting spotted count towards the ranking?

Robot Pants

A good example is that large area in the demo with the 2 geckos and several patrols, I can stealth kill all of them, but afterwards no ranking screen shows up, do I have to get spotted for that one? If so , do the stealth kills I do before getting spotted count towards the ranking?
That one actually isn't a ranked encounter. However in R01 there is, right near the Ferris wheel. You need to let either the guard patrolling the field or the gekko see you.
Come to think of it that might be the only one in the whole game. Everything else you can stealth

Duffyside

Banned
I used an electric grenade, or whatever the non-lethal ones are called, so all the bad guys would be focused on me. From then on, I made sure to stay away from the civilian so he wouldn't get hit by crossfire.

Ah, I did not realize that if I tossed a grenade, which take a long time to explode, the enemies would turn and look at it. Yup, that does seem to be the best course of action. Thanks.

Don't know why I didn't get the supposed trophy for cutting off the civilian's clothes and then talking to everyone on codec though...

Vodh

Bayonetta is way more accessible than Rising, or most character action games. Combat is more freeform and the camera is infinitely better. Give it another try.

...what?

Once you get used to the parry this game is a cakewalk on normal. And it wasn't uncommon for me to get an A or even an S trophy every now and then, without even trying. With Bayo I remember having my ass handed to me way more often on normal, as well as getting almost exclusively the "Shit, we've designed this screen with an 'award' in mind, so here, have this little 'U suck!' statue, because you do suck at this game and the screen would look awkward with no statue at all" reward for every level...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure it's worth arguing which is more accessible. I think they're both games that can be completed by any player on default difficulty

but yeah with ranks not being dependent on taking damage and deaths/items not affecting overall stage rank at the end, the scoring system doesn't rub it in your face that you're bad as in Rising as much as it does in Bayonetta

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_mivvnlIPux1rrti18o1_500.jpg

Man, people weren't kidding about that last boss being tough. Had to do it with no nanopaste and it took me about an hour. So damn satisfying when I finally put a whooping on him, though.

What a goddamn videogame.

spoilers regarding recurring MGS cast:

I was really disappointed that Snake or Otacon didn't make a cameo, or did i miss something? Otacon was mentioned several times in codec stuff but Snake not once?

Jintor

but yeah with ranks not being dependent on taking damage and deaths/items not affecting overall stage rank at the end, the scoring system doesn't rub it in your face that you're bad as in Rising as much as it does in Bayonetta

I wonder if that's tied to the fact that I can hack into a dude and with enough skill recharge my health at practically any time. Changes the gameplay dynamic so much, I play so much faster and looser in Rising.

richi_one

So...I beat the game on normal and started a new game on hard.
All the abilities unlocked are gone, and now I don't know if there is a way to play (replay) the game with all I bought so far equipped (a la DmC).
I wanted to unlock all the abilities and the upgrades....

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
All the abilities unlocked are gone, and now I don't know if there is a way to play (replay) the game with all I bought so far equipped (a la DmC).

If you didn't pick continue you just deleted all of your old progress.

NinjaJesus

You're not supposed to go to New Game. You just go to continue, select a new difficulty and go.

glaurung

OK, reached Monsoon last night. Any tips for a newbie cyborg who is playing on Normal?

I managed to only whittle his health down to ~40% before he raped me with his fog nonsense.

On a side note: the Fox Blade is crazy. I am very close to having it fully upgraded too and that thing just cuts through anything. It is really quite remarkable.

OK, reached Monsoon last night. Any tips for a newbie cyborg who is playing on Normal?

I managed to only whittle his health down to ~40% before he raped me with his fog nonsense.

On a side note: the Fox Blade is crazy. I am very close to having it fully upgraded too and that thing just cuts through anything. It is really quite remarkable.

Parry all the things!

Yeah... I don't think I've got this parrying business quite down yet.

One of the VR missions is a parry tutorial. You can select it by pressing the back/select button. I strongly advise getting comfortable with that mechanic. Monsoon is made to test your ability to parry.

The timing is actually very lenient to block. You only have to time it right for a counterattack.

Guess Who

Banned

First of all, if you want to really get good - don't use the Fox Blade. It's easy mode and will put you into bad habits if you use it regularly.

Second, parrying is absolutely essential in the Monsoon fight, especially the fog section. When he's visible, push your analog stick towards him and press either X(360) or Square(PS3) to block. If he's trying to do a combo, do this multiple times quickly to block each hit.

glaurung

So this game turned out good? literally haven't looked at anything regarding how it turned out.

It's a solid action game with rpg elements right?
I've said it before in this thread and I'll say it again: Rising is the most fun I have had with a video game this whole year. Nothing comes close.

Sure it has its foibles, but overall it is a very solid package.

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers on parrying, I will run the VR tutorial tonight and then we will see who's boss. Monsoon, you sad wanker...

...what?

Once you get used to the parry this game is a cakewalk on normal. And it wasn't uncommon for me to get an A or even an S trophy every now and then, without even trying. With Bayo I remember having my ass handed to me way more often on normal, as well as getting almost exclusively the "Shit, we've designed this screen with an 'award' in mind, so here, have this little 'U suck!' statue, because you do suck at this game and the screen would look awkward with no statue at all" reward for every level...

And once you get the dodge timing down, Bayo is a cakewalk on normal. The game gives you so many outs. Lots of health items, every enemy tell is super obvious, no attacks from off camera, no camera issues period, versatile combat system, bread and butter combos, accessories that help even more, etc. If you can beat Rising on normal, you should be able to beat Bayonetta on normal.

And EVERYONE gets the "U SUCK" statues on the first playthrough.

So this game turned out good? literally haven't looked at anything regarding how it turned out.

It's a solid action game with rpg elements right?

its a solid action game period. no rpg elements at all. You just move forward and destroy your enemies! :D

Thank you, the general idea was not foreign to me. It is more about the timing, I can't seem to get it right.

yeah especially if the boss does a combo, you need to be accurate with the parries. And during Monsoon fog attacks, he is invulnerable so just parry, dont try to attack. This applies to several bosses attacks, parry or dodge, then when they clearly stop attacking, punish! :D

Nose Master

The game should only be that long if you're just speed running everything and/or skipping conversations or cutscenes. My first time through the game was about 8 hours long and that wasnt even with a lot of the optional codec stuff.

I dunno, 4 is reasonable. I fucked around a lot (listened to a lot of codecs, though I don't think that counts towards playtime), and was a bit under six hours. Didn't skip cutscenes or rush in the slightest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Very Hard revengeancing finished. My poor thumb.

I dunno, 4 is reasonable. I fucked around a lot (listened to a lot of codecs, though I don't think that counts towards playtime), and was a bit under six hours. Didn't skip cutscenes or rush in the slightest.

if you say 6 based on the timer it shows at the end, yeah it does not include any cutscenes or replayed fights etc. But yeah, id say its around 8 hours if you take on all optional fights, seek out the collectibles, watch all cutscenes and have moderate codec conversations.

Jintor

And once you get the dodge timing down, Bayo is a cakewalk on normal. The game gives you so many outs. Lots of health items, every enemy tell is super obvious, no attacks from off camera, no camera issues period, versatile combat system, bread and butter combos, accessories that help even more, etc. If you can beat Rising on normal, you should be able to beat Bayonetta on normal.

And EVERYONE gets the "U SUCK" statues on the first playthrough.

Audio cues and no off-screen attacks REALLY help. Though you can get projectile'd from offscreen, but unlike mooks with rocket launchers they get that 4-5 second trumpet blast and then the trumpet shots take like 4 seconds to drift slowly across the screen.

Ein Bear

okay so
him too as a small mention only. I'm still not sure if it's a good thing or not that they did not appear in it :D atleast no one could steal Raidens spotlight :D But i was hoping Snake to appear in the after credits -scene.

I honestly hope we never see Solid Snake in a game set after MGS4. I'm a big fan of the ending of that game, and think actually finding out what he gets up to afterwards kind of undermines the whole thing. The idea is that Snake is finally going to live for himself for a while, instead of fighting for others - which includes the player. That's the final lesson Big Boss teaches him.

It's delivered in a clunky, rambling way with all that 'Zero becoming one' stuff, but I'm always a bit surprised to see the hate that the ending gets. The one we got is way more satisfying and relevant to the themes of the series than Snake just shooting himself.

Top Bottom