• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Got the game, started a playthrough on hard. Nothing too challenging yet tho I am still at the beginning.

Question: how does parry/counterattack work? I fought the boss from the demo and sometimes raiden just blocks the attack and leaves a big distance between enemy making followup attacks hard. Sometimes he counters right away and leaves the enemy open for followups. Is there some system to make him counter or is it random?

A normal parry puts Raiden in a state of blockstun, while a perfect parry causes Raiden to immediately follow up with an attack. The perfect parry is generally the ideal move to perform, but you need to make the parry input just before the enemy attack connects -- not when the enemy glows red. Meanwhile, the normal parry is safer and easier to perform: all you really have to do is make the input any moment between the red glow and the moment where Raiden gets hit. But as you observed, it can be tricky to return on the offensive if the enemy backs off. It helps to purchase the Stinger-like move ASAP to get around this.

Roto13

So long as you didn't cut his core brain, it doesn't really matter how much you cut him up. LQ-84 bodies are easy to get a hold of and Doc would just need to modify the head part.

It seemed obvious to me.
It's not as though Wolf has a human brain or anything, anyway. His brain is probably a tiny little thing that'd be easy to miss.
I don't think I'll be able to accomplish this. I just don't have the required skill for these kinds of games. I'll settle for collecting all of the in-game stuff.

I Platinumed Bayonetta, but I can't possibly be bothered to S-rank everything on Revengeance. Fuck that noise.

I don't think I'll be able to accomplish this. I just don't have the required skill for these kinds of games. I'll settle for collecting all of the in-game stuff.

I don't consider myself to be good at all at action games. God of War is really the only action series I'm OK at (platinumed all five of them somehow). My hands really struggle with highly technical stuff. I mainly get by with repetition. You should give it a shot!

Joe Lee

I don't consider myself to be good at all at action games. God of War is really the only action series I'm OK at (platinumed all five of them somehow). My hands really struggle with highly technical stuff. I mainly get by with repetition. You should give it a shot!

Yeah, I just finished a second run on Normal (was mainly just collecting stuff I missed). I'm probably going to step it up to Hard soon.

YES! TAKE THAT TO YO ASS, MOTHERFUCKER

2 hours. 2 HOURS!

That lava, ugh. Fight would be trivial without it.

The grin on my face when I realized that this was THE attempt. So much satisfaction

RangerBAD

I don't remember that specifically..
I always just used the (forward + forward + triangle) attack that dashed really far towards an enemy if someone wasn't in my immediate range, don't remember doing a lot of running around

My strategy for
Sam was to run far back and force him to do a drawing slash which I would parry and do the triange-square combo. Later I modified that to Pincer attack for my no damage run, going to need to combo him for S though.

Ha! They really did do a good job on the pizza. The guy's facial animation in that scene was commendable, as well. And judging from his reading material, he probably had something... RISING... in his pantsu... Fufufufufufu!

Moe-kyunnn~

Will Wolf play like Amaterasu?

Bladewolf does seem to have a similar moveset. I just want a Friender costume for him.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Platinum should get paid by Nintendo for this game too because it's making me more likely to purchase a WiiU for W101 and Bayonetta 2

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Did you play the original Bayonetta? As much as I loved that game, I think Rising trumps it in the quality of the gameplay.

Honestly, I never finished it. I was never good at DMC style games, but I've been tempted to replay it on easy. This just makes me think of more of a complicated Batman game than DMC style, but maybe that's just me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally, got past them and Ray. Now to complete the level and get my Very Hard mode started. (But I got a D rank. :()

ultron87

Is there any way to switch my target to these fucking birds at the top of this elevator so I can air kick up to them instead of the big guys I can't kill when the fucking birds are constantly missiling me?

Edit: Apparently some combination of RB and holding directions switches targets. This is explained nowhere.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Will you settle on a dedicated 'robo snark' button?

This would be acceptable, yes.

Honestly, I never finished it. I was never good at DMC style games, but I've been tempted to replay it on easy. This just makes me think of more of a complicated Batman game than DMC style, but maybe that's just me.

Bayo on easy is supposed to be really damn easy. They built in some sort of auto-combo system that lets the game style for you on the lower difficulties. Worth giving another chance.

Astral

Is there any way to switch my target to these fucking birds at the top of this elevator so I can air kick up to them instead of the big guys I can't kill when the fucking birds are constantly missiling me?

Edit: Apparently some combination of RB and holding directions switches targets. This is explained nowhere.

The right analog stick switches targets.

Bayo is an incredibly easy game if you want it to be. Plenty of checkpoints, more health items than you know what to do with and the inputs for combos are very simple (simpler than MGR). Anyone should be able to get through normal with liberal item use and if not, there are 2 lower difficulties.

It's a lot more accessible than MGR imo

Sajjaja

Fuck me.... trying to get no-hit trophy from Monsoon on very hard....... I've been at it for 3 hours I think...........I made it to 11% then I fucked up and got hit by a heli by accident :( Fucking guy....... Any tips?

Fuck me.... trying to get no-hit trophy from Monsoon on very hard....... I've been at it for 3 hours I think...........I made it to 11% then I fucked up and got hit by a heli by accident :( Fucking guy....... Any tips?

The vehicle chucking section got me many times as well, the only advice I can give you is to use the pincer blade charge move when he's reforming his body, if you're maximizing damage with every opportunity, you should be able to get him down to 10% fast enough to skip his last vehicle chucking sequence. At least that's how it worked for me.

Roto13

The annoying unskippable intro before every VR Mission is enough to make me not want to play them.

Also the fact that apparently there's about a one millimeter difference between being close enough to ninja kill someone and being inside of their ass.

Bayonetta is way more accessible than Rising, or most character action games. Combat is more freeform and the camera is infinitely better. Give it another try.

jett

D-Member

Pincer blades will deplete his health really quickly. And the blade mode parts are easier if you do them while you are airborne.

The Lamp

I heard issues about the PS3 framerate compared to the 360.

Well I have my launch PS3 copy sitting in its shrinkwrap. I'd like to keep a PS3 version because my PS3 collection is huge and I just want to add to it, but not if the framerate problems are severely noticeable. What do you guys think? It's not like Bayonetta levels of difference, is it?

jett

D-Member

Well I have my launch PS3 copy sitting in its shrinkwrap. I'd like to keep a PS3 version because my PS3 collection is huge and I just want to add to it, but not if the framerate problems are severely noticeable. What do you guys think? It's not like Bayonetta levels of difference, is it?

The difference is virtually unnoticeable. Do whatever you want.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Nope beat the game on Hard, and Very Hard and no issues with the frame rate at all.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, what's the secret to saving the civilian hostages? I've gotten a few, but other than the very first one I have no idea how I did it. I try sneaking, but sometimes there is no way to sneak. I've tried rushing as fast as I can, and sometimes they hear me coming and kill the guy. Only thing left I can think of is a well-placed rocket, then rush in? But that doesn't seem right...

Ok, what's the secret to saving the civilian hostages? I've gotten a few, but other than the very first one I have no idea how I did it. I try sneaking, but sometimes there is no way to sneak. I've tried rushing as fast as I can, and sometimes they hear me coming and kill the guy. Only thing left I can think of is a well-placed rocket, then rush in? But that doesn't seem right...
I used an electric grenade, or whatever the non-lethal ones are called, so all the bad guys would be focused on me. From then on, I made sure to stay away from the civilian so he wouldn't get hit by crossfire.

tumblr_lc7ctymMnX1qe867oo1_500.jpg

Good god and good stuff man!

I have yet to beat the last boss on normal, haha. I bow to you. *bows*

TheSeks

Damn, infinite Ripper mode is hilarious. So glad I ground for that because I'm doing no damage on Very Hard right now. :lol

TheSeks

Does the Sai really only have one move?

Yes. It's meant to juggle/stun. Once you get into that mindset it becomes really good. Because you can juggle someone into the air and then blade-mode their spine easily.

Alright, I'm ready to embark on my own S rank Revengeance journey. But a quick question.

How does stealth kill work with the rankings? I've had times where I cleared an area with stealth and I didn't get a ranking screen, I'm not sure if there's just no ranking at that point period or not.

Robot Pants

Alright, I'm ready to embark on my own S rank Revengeance journey. But a quick question.

How does stealth kill work with the rankings? I've had times where I cleared an area with stealth and I didn't get a ranking screen, I'm not sure if there's just no ranking at that point period or not.
There are a few encounters that require you to be spotted in order to be completed.

Top Bottom