• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

That's weird. I have no idea what the rhyme or reason there is to it. I'm fairly certain that dying on Ray increased my time in previous playthroughs (and I also believe took away No Damage, but can't be sure). Maybe it was patched in Ver.2?

I've done some more testing on the first fight of R-01 on Revengeance difficulty. I purposefully died and restarted, then I did the fight again by chucking an EM grenade and one-shot everything with a charged Pincer strike with Ripper Mode active. No 'No Damage' bonus.

I then menu restarted before the checkpoint saved and fought again. One-shot everything without being touched, also no 'No Damage' bonus (I forgot to check the time, I'm dumb).

Restarted the entire mission from the chapter select and went up to the fight, restarted from menu and then one-shot everything and got a 'No Damage' bonus.

Someone should test this on an actual boss to see if the Ray fight is just special like that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've done some more testing on the first fight of R-01 on Revengeance difficulty. I purposefully died and restarted, then I did the fight again by chucking an EM grenade and one-shot everything with a charged Pincer strike with Ripper Mode active. No 'No Damage' bonus.

I then menu restarted before the checkpoint saved and fought again. One-shot everything without being touched, also no 'No Damage' bonus (I forgot to check the time, I'm dumb).

Restarted the entire mission from the chapter select and went up to the fight, restarted from menu and then one-shot everything and got a 'No Damage' bonus.

Someone should test this on an actual boss to see if the Ray fight is just special like that.

Innnteresting. I know that Monsoon adds up the time every time you restart from death. Someone on here got a huge point deduction and missed an S rank because of it.

demidar

Innnteresting. I know that Monsoon adds up the time every time you restart from death. Someone on here got a huge point deduction and missed an S rank because of it.

Yeah this shit is weird. It's safe to say that restarting from the death menu removes the possibility of a 'No Death' bonus in the fight you died in. If you restart before you die it's safe though as long as you can get past without actually getting hit. I tested this in the second fight of the chapter which has a checkpoint in between part one (civilian rescue) and part two (appearance of the first Gekko). Here's what I did:

-Ran around and got hit on the first part, restart from start menu.
-This time murdered everyone without getting hit, proceeded to second part.
-Got hit in the second part by stray gunfire, restart from start menu.
-Murdered everyone without getting hit.
-Got an S on the after battle report, got 'No Damage' bonus.

I'm gonna test the time in the third battle now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Should I fully upgrade myself and Konami code to Revengeance mode or do Very Hard first?

Very Hard will probably provide some good feedback and practice for Revengeance mode. It'll also earn you some good BP. I'd suggest going through Very Hard until you can max out some vital things, like the Muramasa, Skills, Fuel Cells, and Health. It's more fun than farming, anyway.

Yeah this shit is weird. It's safe to say that restarting from the death menu removes the possibility of a 'No Death' bonus in the fight you died in. If you restart before you die it's safe though as long as you can get past without actually getting hit. I tested this in the second fight of the chapter which has a checkpoint in between part one (civilian rescue) and part two (appearance of the first Gekko). Here's what I did:

-Ran around and got hit on the first part, restart from start menu.
-This time murdered everyone without getting hit, proceeded to second part.
-Got hit in the second part by stray gunfire, restart from start menu.
-Murdered everyone without getting hit.
-Got an S on the after battle report, got 'No Damage' bonus.

I'm gonna test the time in the third battle now.

Well, each Ranked Battle is individually scored, so if you take damage in an inconsequential battle before going into the Ranked Battle, that won't affect your No Damage Bonus.

C0unter

Some fights are probably harder on very hard than revengence due to the buff perfect parry gets.
Does anyone know how the armor breaker,stun blade and hf longsword compare to the murasama?

mattp

quick question about the section where you control the dwarf gecko

how the hell do you get a better grade? i get a C because i just zap all the guards and my score at the end has 0 kills etc so i get a C
can you actually fight them?

Dawg

So yeah, final boss is wrecking my shit. I have 0 nanopaste so it's pretty impossible for me, as I'm not that good of a player.

It's not helping that I totally hate the dodge move. Pressing square + X only works 50% of the time for me. I really hate moves with two button presses like that, as raiden sometimes dodges, but all the other times he just does some light attack or something.

When his robot does two blades at a time, I seem to be able to dodge it. But most of his single blade attacks just wreck my shit, I just can't dodge them. I really wish they assigned the dodge button to a different button layout :/

Sephzilla

how the hell do you get a better grade? i get a C because i just zap all the guards and my score at the end has 0 kills etc so i get a C

How long are you taking to zap them and do you get spotted at all during then? The dwarf gekko section seems very time sensitive

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You're scored based on criteria that's listed in the Rank screen. There is a max value on each of the stats, so you'll need to get a high score on all of them to get a high rank.

Time Taken, # of Zandatsu, Amount of BP, Longest Combo, # of Kills.

You also get a No Damage Bonus and a No Kill bonus, which are counted separately and added to the totals. The No Damage should always be pursued. The No Kill bonus is interesting because I believe it's impossible to get the No Kill bonus without subverting the Zandatsu and the Kill scores.

The required score for different ranks is different for each battle, and the maximum score for each stat is also different for each battle.

Sephzilla

So yeah, final boss is wrecking my shit. I have 0 nanopaste so it's pretty impossible for me, as I'm not that good of a player.

It's not helping that I totally hate the dodge move. Pressing square + X only works 50% of the time for me. I really hate moves with two button presses like that, as raiden sometimes dodges, but all the other times he just does some light attack or something.

When his robot does two blades at a time, I seem to be able to dodge it. But most of his single blade attacks just wreck my shit, I just can't dodge them. I really wish they assigned the dodge button to a different button layout :/

The two blade attack seems to have a different timing than his single blade attacks, best input I can give at the moment since I'm not near my copy of the game right now.

I've actually gotten used to the dodge mechanic in this game, so I don't have much of a problem with it anymore. But yeah, I think it could have made more sense to just map dodge to the O button since that's not used in combat outside of Zandatsu

EDIT: I get why the dodge is mapped to light attack and jump simultaneously though. You're technically doing a quick jump and a light attack at the same time, so I see the logic in mapping those two individual buttons together to do the dodge. But from a simplicity sake I would have just mapped it to circle.

mattp

You're scored based on criteria that's listed in the Rank screen. There is a max value on each of the stats, so you'll need to get a high score on all of them to get a high rank.

Time Taken, # of Zandatsu, Amount of BP, Longest Combo, # of Kills.

You also get a No Damage Bonus and a No Kill bonus, which are counted separately and added to the totals. The No Damage should always be pursued. The No Kill bonus is interesting because I believe it's impossible to get the No Kill bonus without subverting the Zandatsu and the Kill scores.

The required score for different ranks is different for each battle, and the maximum score for each stat is also different for each battle.

yeah but thats my point, the dwarf gecko section isn't really a fight. you cant do anything but sneak around and zap guys

edit: oops didnt see the other reply. so its just based on time? that makes sense cuz i took my time both playthroughs

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Are you doing an attack? I believe you can't dodge out of certain heavy attacks that you commit to.

yeah but thats my point, the dwarf gecko section isn't really a fight. you cant do anything but sneak around and zap guys

edit: oops didnt see the other reply. so its just based on time? that makes sense cuz i took my time both playthroughs

Yeah, that fight's unique. You only need to race to the end and take no damage for an S rank.

The man has a gun sheath that shoots a sword.
You dont need many robot enhancements when you have something as manly as that.

That's actually one of the ONLY reasons
he needs cybernetic enhancements... so that he can actually control the sword while it's shooting out of his sheath. His one arm is cybernetic and the other one isn't.

The End

The Sam fight.

Just fucking wow. The music, the setting. Wow.

That fight made me feel like a goddamn samurai

936full-samurai-iii%3A-duel-at-ganryu-island-screenshot.jpg

Sephzilla

My S Ranks for that section usually come when I just breeze through it and zap-and-run each of the guards (because I've played the game enough to know where each of them specifically are). Considering it's the only thing that you can really affect in that section, since Zandatsus and killing are out of the question, it's likely to be the important thing.

Isn't there any way to get nanopaste at the
Metal Gear Excelsior
fight?

The fight has a checkpoint after you
take out one of the legs.
I didn't have a difficult time avoiding damage, it's pretty simple albeit damaging.

Parry or dodge the side swipes
Side dodge the double overhead blades (unblockable)
When he starts dropping the foot wait until its on its way down and back dodge
With the laser section, use ninja run to avoid the vertical beam (try to get the Geckos killed)
With the horizontal beam, run to the back of the opposite end of the area.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yes, I've considered doing that. They die too quick though.

You get a checkpoint midway through that fight. You may just want to stock up on nanopaste and retry all of R-07 again. It doesn't take long to get to the boss, and the fight isn't over by a long shot where you are... so you'll probably need more nanopaste anyway.

demidar

Just tested time accumulation on some "bosses".

Deaths add to your time for the battle, menu restarts do not. Dying adds time cumulatively, menu restarting does not add time to the current play but incorporates all previous deaths and their respective times taken.

You get a checkpoint midway through that fight. You may just want to stock up on nanopaste and retry all of R-07 again. It doesn't take long to get to the boss, and the fight isn't over by a long shot where you are... so you'll probably need more nanopaste anyway.

but you do get 2x5 nanopastes in...umm...a phase in the boss fight :D you just have to endure until then.

Joe Lee

Deaths add to your time for the battle, menu restarts do not. Dying adds time cumulatively, menu restarting does not add time to the current play but incorporates all previous deaths and their respective times taken.

Yeah I found that out firsthand with the battle against Sam. My first way through the game, I got my ass completely handed to me, and after I finally beat him, my Completion Time was over an hour. Whoops.

Second time through, I got him on my first try so I feel less bad about myself.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

What does this mean exactly? The menu restarting is pretty much the guaranteed way of restarting without ruining your score, so the other confirmations don't surprise me.

Deitus

What does this mean exactly? The menu restarting is pretty much the guaranteed way of restarting without ruining your score, so the other confirmations don't surprise me.

I think he just means menu restarting doesn't erase time accumulated from dying. So if you restart just before death, no time accumulated. If you die and restart, you accumulate time. If you die and restart, and then manually restart again, you still maintain all of the time you accumulated from dying.

-Edit: Also, dying and choosing not to restart doesn't work either to my knowledge. The game autosaves as soon as you die, so if you quit to title and reload the game, I'm pretty sure you are still penalized.

demidar

If you die after 2 minutes, restarting from the menu after that will always start from the 2 minute mark. If you die again (because you missed pressing start before you died) after 3 minutes, restarting from the menu after that will start from the accumulated time of 5 minutes.

^Starting over from the Title screen i.e. choosing to Continue will retain deaths. You can only wipe it by starting the chapter all over again i.e. Chapter Select.

Dawg

Well, I managed to beat
Metal Gear Excelsior and the true final boss. Wasn't easy with the insta death BM miss (My hands tend to spasm on things like that :<), but I managed to beat him in 2 tries

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Well, I managed to beat
Metal Gear Excelsior and the true final boss. Wasn't easy with the insta death BM miss (My hands tend to spasm on things like that :<), but I managed to beat him in 2 tries

Congrats!

If you die after 2 minutes, restarting from the menu after that will always start from the 2 minute mark. If you die again (because you missed pressing start before you died) after 3 minutes, restarting from the menu after that will start from the accumulated time of 5 minutes.

^Starting over from the Title screen i.e. choosing to Continue will retain deaths. You can only wipe it by starting the chapter all over again i.e. Chapter Select.

Right. So death retries always result more time. So is Ray still the anamoly?

Dawg

Congrats!

Thank, you guys have been a great help with your tips/hints on the previous page.

Wish I could try Samuel on Revengeance now, but apparently you can't just start a chapter on a different playthrough. You have to play every chapter before Samuel on Revengeance too.

+1 boss rush mode

demidar

Right. So death retries always result more time. So is Ray still the anamoly?

Whoops, knew I forgot something but I just turned the game off. :/

I did try it on the Hammerhead "boss" after the Blade Wolf, killed it 5 seconds after I died and it said 1:30 on the score card. I think Ray is an anomaly.

maks

Does the end game screen only count your best times in Ranked Battles? Or does it count everything that occurs during gameplay including your best times in Ranked Battles?

Anyone know the answer to this? It would make sense that it only counts Ranked Battles since the Grade level score only counts Ranked. But i think it's actually total gameplay with your best rankede battle times that makes up the time score. I haven't had a chance to test myself.

Raxus

Anyone know the answer to this? It would make sense that it only counts Ranked Battles since the Grade level score only counts Ranked. But i think it's actually total gameplay with your best rankede battle times that makes up the time score. I haven't had a chance to test myself.

It only counts ranked battles. There are hidden ranked battles and missable ones (don't stealth) if you are not careful. One of the trickiest being R03 right before the boss.

As far as the chapter no damage bonus I have no clue. I assume you have to do the entire chapter with no damage.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I'm also not sure. The end score/time for the level might just be for all the fights since it specifically says something like "Total Combat Grade" or something. Maybe the final time at the endgame includes everything... although we know it doesn't include retries or cutscenes.

As far as the chapter no damage bonus I have no clue. I assume you have to do the entire chapter with no damage.

Yeah, I think so. And I think you can probably menu restart if you need to as well. I'm not sure how it benefits you or what bonus you get other than the NO DAMAGE label in your Chapter Select.

Top Bottom