• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

I honestly hope we never see Solid Snake in a game set after MGS4. I'm a big fan of the ending of that game, and think actually finding out what he gets up to afterwards kind of undermines the whole thing. The idea is that Snake is finally going to live for himself for a while, instead of fighting for others - which includes the player. That's the final lesson Big Boss teaches him.

It's delivered in a clunky, rambling way with all that 'Zero becoming one' stuff, but I'm always a bit surprised to see the hate that the ending gets. The one we got is way more satisfying and relevant to the themes of the series than Snake just shooting himself.

Snake's had a hard life, leave him be.

Also he's dead, that would cause some problems.

I'm just a chapter in but enjoying the game so far. Wonderful over the top action. :D

I'm already a fan of the Doc and had a good laugh at one of the first com talks with him (about gross/violent movies and why people like 'em). And as usual, it's funny to see what german names (or at least german sounding) japanese devs put into their games. Especially since there is a quite popular german dude with a quite similar name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Voigt

(Sorry if anyone else already pointed this out. While I try to read everything you guys write in this topic, this might have slipped my attention.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's delivered in a clunky, rambling way with all that 'Zero becoming one' stuff, but I'm always a bit surprised to see the hate that the ending gets. The one we got is way more satisfying and relevant to the themes of the series than Snake just shooting himself.

Well, to be fair,
I think Snake committing suicide was always a troll from the moment the game was marketed. I doubt Kojima or anyone actually intended for Snake to blow his brains out. The original draft had Snake and Otacon executed.

Should I play Normal before Very Hard to get all the upgrades? Did Hard first time around and skipped all the health upgrades and most of the weapon ones. In the final battle I was dying in 2 hits
of lava

Bedlam

I'm just a chapter in but enjoying the game so far. Wonderful over the top action. :D

I'm already a fan of the Doc and had a good laugh at one of the first com talks with him (about gross/violent movies and why people like 'em). And as usual, it's funny to see what german names (or at least german sounding) japanese devs put into their games. Especially since there is a quite popular german dude with a quite similar name:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_Voigt
Yep. I really enjoyed those references to Germany in the game. Doc talking about how the DDR wasn't so bad after all, Ostalgie, his gig in Dortmund, the occasional utterance of "Scheisse!" or "Wunderbar!". And I learned that my country is apparently into snuff movies and factory-sightseeing tours. lol

Ein Bear

Well, to be fair,
I think Snake committing suicide was always a troll from the moment the game was marketed. I doubt Kojima or anyone actually intended for Snake to blow his brains out. The original draft had Snake and Otacon executed.

Yeah, I agree, I doubt Kojima ever actually planned to have him do it. They were hinting at the idea from the very first trailers, and even in the title screen of the game itself - it must have been a deliberate mislead.
But "Snake should have just shot himself!" still seems to be a common complaint in MGS4 threads though, which has always struck me as a bit weird.

[...] And I learned that my country is apparently into snuff movies [...]

I spent most of my 32 years in Germany and I do remember such movies being very popular in the (early?) nineties. Well, popular is relative since the movies were banned and without the internet we have today, you couldn't get them that easily. But violence on german TV is a topic of it's own (while tits in afternoon TV shows are not a problem at all). Sorry for this short off-topic excursion. ;)

beastmodetoinfinity.gif

RULES OF NATURE

is this kage playable in naruto ninja storm 3?

please answer me

Finished my second playthrough last night. Very Hard difficulty. Didn't have a ton of problems, save for any moment with two gorillas and the end boss. Took about 6:30, whereas Hard took me about 5:45 (and about 100 deaths less.)

Onto Revengencing on Revengence!

Trike

Yeah... I don't think I've got this parrying business quite down yet.

I did not even find out that I was doing the parry-counter completely wrong until halfway through the game.

I honestly hope we never see Solid Snake in a game set after MGS4. I'm a big fan of the ending of that game, and think actually finding out what he gets up to afterwards kind of undermines the whole thing. The idea is that Snake is finally going to live for himself for a while, instead of fighting for others - which includes the player. That's the final lesson Big Boss teaches him.

But a lot of fans want him back, me included. We really only got two cannon games where he was the star. Snake might not be able to let go. Letting go of the battlefield is a recurring theme amongst characters in MGS, but I don't think there is a single one so far who has been able to do it without dying.

Snake's had a hard life, leave him be.

Also he's dead, that would cause some problems.

Well Kojima said in an interview that they are not done with Solid Snake yet, and in the same interview announced they were working on Metal Gear Solid 5. I guess it could be a interquel, but I doubt it. Also
Snake didn't die in MGS4. In Rising's codec conversations Snake is mentioned in the past tense (as in dead) by Kevin and possible others. Raiden is the only one who does not refer to him in the past tense. Even without that straw to grasp onto, he is never said to be dead. Just retired peacefully, for however long he has/had left.
Also, if cyborg technology from MGS4 onwards is the shit, why not just put Snake into a cyborg body and just preserve his brain or whatever? Or did I just ruin MGS5? Because, if I recall correctly, in MGS4
He just wanted to kill himself because the thought the mutated FOXDIE would kill everyone? I'm sure he could just turn into a cyborg and live a normal life, giving handjobs or whatever he would have done if Kojima had not of felt old.

So I've gone through Normal and Hard mode in the last couple of days and just started Very Hard last night.

What a game. Easily lives up to the promises made by the trailers and the demo. Te combat is constantly exhilarating and exciting (although a bit on the easy side but Very Hard looks to change that). What I really like is that ll the upgrades you purchase are optional, if you find it too easy you can just turn everything off for extra challenge, sort of like the levelling in The World Ends With You. I liked the change from combo focused mechanics to more reaction/punishing focus. There's no "plume of Prometheus" mega combo, no long strings, just pure twitch reactions mostly. It's a lot of fun and fits the high-octane nature of the game.

The story was what I expected the moment I heard Platinum+Kojima. You've got your conspiracies, your into to philosophy waxing, your over the top characters and you hefty dose of camp. You either dig these elements or you don't. Personally any game that includes a
Ninja Turtles and Vanilla Ice
reference gets an OK in my book.

The boss fights, which are usually the high point of your character action game, were excellent. The standard Metal Gear mercenary team all had their quirks and memorable tactics and I think easily go head to head with the best of the franchise, and even surpass some of the less memorable characters. Monsoon was my personal favorite but I think that's down to one other thing as much as anything gameplay wise

That would, of course, be the music. What a soundtrack. Pumping, catchy, and ingeniously executed. Who ever had the idea of having the tracks build piece by piece so that they climax exactly when the fight does deserves a fucking promotion.

My only criticism is the weird as fuck pacing. Long, varied levels and then the last
total about the length of one of the earlier ones. Made things feel a bit front loaded although he final boss fights were very memorable. Probably a result of the short development time, and it's no big deal. It's a game for replay, not one-and-done story and spectacle (although good lordy does the game have spectacle).

Carbonox

I did not even find out that I was doing the parry-counter completely wrong until halfway through the game.

But a lot of fans want him back, me included. We really only got two cannon games where he was the star. Snake might not be able to let go. Letting go of the battlefield is a recurring theme amongst characters in MGS, but I don't think there is a single one so far who has been able to do it without dying.

Well Kojima said in an interview that they are not done with Solid Snake yet, and in the same interview announced they were working on Metal Gear Solid 5. I guess it could be a interquel, but I doubt it. Also
Snake didn't die in MGS4. In Rising's codec conversations Snake is mentioned in the past tense (as in dead) by Kevin and possible others. Raiden is the only one who does not refer to him in the past tense. Even without that straw to grasp onto, he is never said to be dead. Just retired peacefully, for however long he has/had left.
Also, if cyborg technology from MGS4 onwards is the shit, why not just put Snake into a cyborg body and just preserve his brain or whatever? Or did I just ruin MGS5? Because, if I recall correctly, in MGS4
He just wanted to kill himself because the thought the mutated FOXDIE would kill everyone? I'm sure he could just turn into a cyborg and live a normal life, giving handjobs or whatever he would have done if Kojima had not of felt old.
Regarding Snake and a cyborg body, his brain would have become deteriorated as much as the rest of his body due to FOXDIE over time. Seeing as cyborg bodies still require the brain, I doubt it would have been helpful to stick Snake in a cyborg body. So I sure as shit hope this doesn't actually happen. :lol

I could be completely wrong though.

Going through hard playthrough so far and it seems fairly easy so far. I got all of the health and sword upgrades(I think). I am obliterating enemies in seconds so far. Is getting an S rank on Revengeance mode even possible? I can hardly get all S ranks on easy, let alone very hard.

NIN90

Blade Wolf's battle theme is the best boss theme. That fight gives me goose bumps every time.

Going through hard playthrough so far and it seems fairly easy so far. I got all of the health and sword upgrades(I think). I am obliterating enemies in seconds so far. Is getting an S rank on Revengeance mode even possible? I can hardly get all S ranks on easy, let alone very hard.

It's not impossible (but still quite a challenge) once you understand how the rating system works. No Damage and No Kills bonuses help a lot.
Just make sure to zandatsu all enemies and build one high combo.

-Winnie-

Okay so I've finished this game and I love it and it makes me so happy and I think Platinum did an admirable job of turning the MGS: Rising idea into a tangible and fuck-awesome game.

But I still wish I could switch weapons in real-time. Did they take this out as a design decision, or were there technical limitations?

demidar

Okay so I've finished this game and I love it and it makes me so happy and I think Platinum did an admirable job of turning the MGS: Rising idea into a tangible and fuck-awesome game.

But I still wish I could switch weapons in real-time. Did they take this out as a design decision, or were there technical limitations?

Oh yeah that's another thing I hate about the game, switching weapons (or anything else) takes way too long. You have to wait until you're completely still to access the menu.

Man, Sundowner was a total letdown. Just keep dodging and he'll never hit you while leaving himself open.
Sam, on the other hand, was simply beautiful.

C0unter

Oh yeah that's another thing I hate about the game, switching weapons (or anything else) takes way too long. You have to wait until you're completely still to access the menu.

You can sorta get around it by blade mode cancelling anything you're doing and go straight into the sub menu,still not real time though.Being able to switch back and forth from sai and y attacks of the sword would be awesome.

The boss fights, which are usually the high point of your character action game, were excellent. The standard Metal Gear mercenary team all had their quirks and memorable tactics and I think easily go head to head with the best of the franchise, and even surpass some of the less memorable characters. Monsoon was my personal favorite but I think that's down to one other thing as much as anything gameplay wise

my only issue with them was that most of them were introduced and killed off in pretty much one encounter. the best antagonists are first introduced, then they appear a couple of times and then culminate in a battle. This is why i like MGS 2 bad guys the most.

Raxus

my only issue with them was that most of them were introduced and killed off in pretty much one encounter. the best antagonists are first introduced, then they appear a couple of times and then culminate in a battle. This is why i like MGS 2 bad guys the most.

It typically applies to action games too. A highlight to DMC is Nero Angelo and Virgil. Both are bosses who grow as you get stronger and you fight several times in the campaign. I assume they were going for something similar with
Sam
in MGR but didn't have the time to develop that in such a short amount of time.

I totally realize how late to the party I am here but I just started the game yesterday and it has some of the best buttrock I've ever heard in a game. Gets you SO PUMPED when the lyrics kick in. I'm assuming that's why most of the posts on the last few pages are all about the soundtrack. I wonder if it would have the same effect outside of the game, I need to get more excited about everyday shit.

Arghh the final boss! Those damned aligned cuts!! At least beating it is satisfying...

Seriously though what a silly final boss and Raiden's characterisation was a mess.

mattp

a little past the monsoon fight on very hard
once you get over the initial hurdle of that fucking first chapter without your upgrades, it's really not so bad
so much fun, though

demidar

Okay so I just beat Ray first phase on Revengeance. I died lots on the enemies before that, and I died and restarted the Ray fight about five times as well. Despite that I managed to kill it without getting hit and I got an S and No Damage bonus, time was about 3:50. Maybe death and scoring is a bit different on boss battles.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hmmm, you can stun the Wolf with the Sais, but the stun doesn't seem to last if you hit it up in the air. Could possibly no damage it with that but I keep getting hit by it when the stun breaks before I can do damage to enter it's three parts. :(

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Okay so I just beat Ray first phase on Revengeance. I died lots on the enemies before that, and I died and restarted the Ray fight about five times as well. Despite that I managed to kill it without getting hit and I got an S and No Damage bonus, time was about 3:50. Maybe death and scoring is a bit different on boss battles.

That's weird. I have no idea what the rhyme or reason there is to it. I'm fairly certain that dying on Ray increased my time in previous playthroughs (and I also believe took away No Damage, but can't be sure). Maybe it was patched in Ver.2?

Hmmm, you can stun the Wolf with the Sais, but the stun doesn't seem to last if you hit it up in the air. Could possibly no damage it with that but I keep getting hit by it when the stun breaks before I can do damage to enter it's three parts. :(

I'd stick with an upgraded Muramasa w/o subs. It'll do massive damage, which means the fight won't last as long and you won't have to parry things as much. You can juggle BladeWolf with launchers, too.

Top Bottom