• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
The bike section in Bayonetta PS3 was a technical abomination. I think it ran at less than 15FPS. Complete garbage. The rest of the bonus stages ran more or less fine, thank fuck.

Joe Lee

Are there specifics you need to get this achievement? Does it have to be while going through the whole game or can you jump around and select missions?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm probably going to go for it in one run just for convenience's sake, but I don't really know about Chapter Select. I've been trying to look at up but I haven't seen anything over at Xbox360Achievements yet.

FrankWza

Sorry, my mistake. I'd turned on the wrong track before replying (the "Space Harrier (CLIMAX)" one). In that case though, I'm surprised. While I still think that, for replays, such segments lose some of their appeal I can't really think of any specific reason to dislike that segment in particular, the exception to this being the difficulty they pose when trying to pure platinum however.

Offense-Defense (or whatever the dodge move is called). They have two throws in particular that I can think of, one has a large build up in which their hands are raised before hand while the other is a very quick attack where they hunch over. For the latter you'll want to dodge almost immediately to the left or right (or if you can time it correctly I imagine it's possible to dodge right into them but it's safer to go left, right, or backwards) while the former you can delay for a moment before dodging (dodge too early and you run the risk of dodging into the grapple so if this happens dodge immediately after you exitting the dodging animation or blade mode cancel it if you dodge towards them).

ive gotten the hug a few times doing the O/D dodge when i wasnt able to get around him alll the way. like in the elevator ride where theres a ton of stuff to partially block you.

Carbonox

Beat the final boss without taking damage. BOOYA.

Also finally got every ID arm.

Trophies left:

1. S rank Revengeance
2. Customize all weapons (only have the Armor Breaker left)
3. Listen to all Codecs
4. Beat all VR Missions
5. Reach 1st in all VR Missions
6. Kill 100 heavy weapon Cyborgs (I've gone through the game so many times, how the fuck haven't I got this yet?)

VR Missions I'll leave for last. My next run will be to finish off customisations and to listen to all Codecs, then it's time to S rank Revengeance.

Sigh.

Revven

Listening to all the codecs is a nightmare and a pain. I've played the game three times and listened to the codecs as much as possible, during boss fights, for enemies (except maybe a few I guess), during the levels (anytime I reached a new area or new part of an area), and so on and still don't have the trophy.

I feel bad for anyone right now who has yet to listen to a single codec on any playthrough. It's a pain in the ass and is better to do as you're playing the game and accomplishing other stuff.

Dahbomb

I officially deem Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as a top 5 best action game/franchise of all time.

1) Devil May Cry 3/DMC1
2) Ninja Gaiden Black
3) Bayonetta
4) Metal Gear Rising
5) Godhand

Discuss.

Raxus

Trophies left:

1. S rank Revengeance
3. Listen to all Codecs
4. Beat all VR Missions
6. Kill 100 heavy weapon Cyborgs (I've gone through the game so many times, how the fuck haven't I got this yet?)

VR Missions I'll leave for last. My next run will be to finish off customisations and to listen to all Codecs, then it's time to S rank Revengeance.

Sigh.
You don't have to listen to ALL codecs...just 400 unique ones. I am trying to get it as well :(

S ranked Revengence isn't so bad. Jack the Ripper, Wig B, Red armor, and Fox Blade/Muramusa.

Just have to do no damage runs on bosses.

Mechazawa

I officially deem Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance as a top 5 best action game/franchise of all time.

1) Devil May Cry 3/DMC1
2) Ninja Gaiden Black
3) Bayonetta
4) Metal Gear Rising
5) Godhand

Discuss.

Take DMC3 off that list and move God Hand up one spot and then we're cooking.

I realize this is not a popular opinion.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Trophies left:

1. S rank Revengeance
3. Listen to all Codecs
4. Beat all VR Missions

Sigh.

Sorry to inform you but you've actually got to purchase and fully upgrade the HF long sword as well which you unlock after breaking 8 controllers trying to gold every single VR mission

Sephzilla

Take DMC3 off that list and move God Hand up one spot and then we're cooking.

I realize this is not a popular opinion.

It's not a popular opinion because it's wrong

MGR cracked my top 5 action games as well.

Just curious, what are peoples thoughts of God of War around here?

Sephzilla

I have no ill feelings towards God of War. They're obviously not on the same technical/complexity level as a DMC or MGR. But I enjoy them for the different beasts they are.

Carbonox

Sorry to inform you but you've actually got to purchase and fully upgrade the HF long sword as well which you unlock after breaking 8 controllers trying to gold every single VR mission

MOTHERFUCKER

tumblr_lyhsnjCxyy1qfriu3o1_500.gif

I have no ill feelings towards God of War. They're obviously not on the same technical/complexity level as a DMC or MGR. But I enjoy them for the different beasts they are.

I don't have ill will towards them, they are just games made to leave an impression not to be mastered or dissected in anyway (much like Uncharted). At the very least give me a skip button for those awful puzzles on replays or something.

Disconect

Neo Member

Trophies left:

1. S rank Revengeance
3. Listen to all Codecs
4. Beat all VR Missions

Sigh.
All S on Revengeance LOL Impossible....

I don't see where the two games even have anything in common. Metal Gear Solid and God of War are both in my top ten franchises, and I love both the God of War Ascension demo and Metal Gear Rising.

Decado

I love them. I don't really compare them to DMC, NG, Bayonetta etc., though. They are beautiful, brutal games and I rather like the stories.

I really hope P* games get ported to the PC. I'm having trouble going back to my PS3/360 since I bought my latest rig.

Dave_6

So since were discussing action games, which Ninja Gaiden is considered the best? I already own DMC1 & 3 SE, Bayonetta, Vanquish and Rising but don't have any of the NG games.

FWIW I love all the GoW games. Hard to beat them for pure spectacle and epic moments IMO, plus I've enjoyed the stories in them.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity

1) Devil May Cry 3/DMC1
2) Ninja Gaiden Black
3) Bayonetta
4) Metal Gear Rising
5) Godhand

Discuss.
Personally I'd swap Bayo with Black. Godhand is the only one I haven't played. I need to track down a copy. No, I'm not going to download it on PSN because the save file doesn't work on a memory card (yes I still have a PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping into PCSX2 once I get a gaming rig).

It's not a popular opinion because it's wrong

I don't consider it a pure action game, I look at it as action-adventure like Prince of Persia.

Um.
NG2 is not on the list.
Unfinished games don't belong on the list.

So since were discussing action games, which Ninja Gaiden is considered the best? I already own DMC1 & 3 SE, Bayonetta, Vanquish and Rising but don't have any of the NG games.

FWIW I love all the GoW games. Hard to beat them for pure spectacle and epic moments IMO, plus I've enjoyed the stories in them.

Ninja Gaiden is definitely my favourite action series (I'm not really acknowledging or considering three however and I've little interest in playing it so I'm going to exclude that from here onwards) and there's actually a significant, even though it may seem minor, difference between both Ninja Gaiden Black and Ninja Gaiden 2, that is the style of gameplay that the combat system is designed around. Ninja Gaiden Black, when compared to Ninja Gaiden 2, is a much more defense focused game (including dodging of course). Ninja Gaiden 2, while still highly reliant upon defense, is reliant upon a different type of defense via the necessity of using I-Frames found within various attacks to survive. As a result of this, people may have a different preference for the two games' combat system but to my knowledge "Ninja Gaiden Black" is generally (based solely on anecdote) considered the better game (personally, I prefer Ninja Gaiden 2 but that's mainly due to the combat system, I would agree that Ninja Gaiden Black is better overall). Both are absolutely worth playing though.

As for action games:
1. Ninja Gaiden 2
2. Ninja Gaiden Black
(a small gap between these two in terms of preference. I really like the technical aspect of the combat within the Ninja Gaiden games more than the combo focus in DMC-like games)-
3. Devil May Cry 3
4. Bayonetta
(once more, a small gap in terms of preference, this order changes pretty regularly)-
5. Devil May Cry 1

The God of War series is interesting. I've always enjoyed the games but the combat doesn't really have enough substance to it for me to consider it. The spectacle of the series is by far the biggest draw to me and while the combat is decent it just is too 'light', in part due to how ridiculously overpowered the default weapons are (useful in every situation, few flaws, stun-properties, area of effect attacks, huge damage, fast, wide range). God of War 2 is definitely my favourite of the four I've played (GoW1-3 and Chains of Olympus).

Um.
NG2 is not on the list.

This.

Honestly Combat wise, NG2> NGB. The actual level design isn't that bad either, athough obviously not as good as black. What holds NG2 is a couple Techincal issues, crap bosses and balance.

For me

1). Bayonetta
2.) DMC3
3.) NGB
4.) NG2 + DMC4 (Both flawed masterpieces)
5.) Rising
6.) DMC1 (once the undisputed champ but has been surpassed repeatedly since)
7.)God hand
8.) Viewtful joe
9.) God of war 3
10) DmC + LOS2 + Darksiders 2
11) Sigma 1 + 2

Sephzilla

Yeah, I'd never put the God of War games in the mix when it comes to technical prowess (though, they really aren't bad when it comes to gameplay). But yeah, God of War is more about brutality and spectacle, which I would say it does amazingly well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What holds NG2 is a couple Techincal issues, crap bosses and balance.

That and being too offensive. Block was kinda pointless in NG2, something that I felt gave NG/NG:B it's "foundation."

It was an alright game, but it paled (IMO) to NGB. I felt it was too "Devil May Cry," especially on higher-difficulties where you had to roll/roll/roll to attack through projectiles.

ezekial45

Banned

One of my biggest criticisms is that they gave up these weapons too late. It'd be cool to find them more naturally on playthroughs, as opposed to doing the more obscure objectives and secrets. By the time you get them, they just don't much up to the upgraded Muramasa.

rvy

Banned
This.

Honestly Combat wise, NG2> NGB. The actual level design isn't that bad either, athough obviously not as good as black. What holds NG2 is a couple Techincal issues, crap bosses and balance.

How do you manage to make a sub-HD game that craps itself in terms of framerate? Fucking Tecmo and Microsoft.

1) Devil May Cry 3/DMC1
2) Ninja Gaiden Black
3) Bayonetta
4) Metal Gear Rising
5) Godhand

Discuss.

MGR:R is the best action game I've played in ... I can't tell you how long... probably since I played DMC3HD. I have a hard time ranking things... but I definitely prefer DMC3/DMC4 and MGR:R to the Ninja Gaiden games and Bayonetta. I've never given Godhand a proper chance, so I con't comment on that.

Side note: I'm not sure if the God of War: Acension demo is *that* bad or if I just think it is after spending 20+ hours with MGR:R last week and doing 3 full playthroughs.

One of my biggest criticisms is that they gave up these weapons too late. It'd be cool to find them more naturally on playthroughs, as opposed to doing the more obscure objectives and secrets. By the time you get them, they just don't much up to the upgraded Muramasa.

Is there a large damage discrepancy?
Cause I would think the armor breaker or stun blade with fully upgraded special effects would be as good as the the murasama blade... instantly breaking armor and opening something to zandatsu should offset the damage decrease, unless it's major.

LiK

MGR:R is the best action game I've played in ... I can't tell you how long... probably since I played DMC3HD. I have a hard time ranking things... but I definitely prefer DMC3/DMC4 and MGR:R to the Ninja Gaiden games and Bayonetta. I've never given Godhand a proper chance, so I con't comment on that.

God Hand is on PSN. Check it out.

Revven

How...in the HELL...did some of you beat the final boss without taking damage!?

There's several ways to do it, but the easiest would be using the dodge. There is a consistent way to stun
Armstrong
, stopping him from attacking at all; but it's much riskier.

Top Bottom