• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

That and being too offensive. Block was kinda pointless in NG2, something that I felt gave NG/NG:B it's "foundation."

It was an alright game, but it paled (IMO) to NGB. I felt it was too "Devil May Cry," especially on higher-difficulties where you had to roll/roll/roll to attack through projectiles.

that was a change in design philosophy. Everything about NG2 suggests it was meant to teach you to be constantly moving. If you play it like that it becomes sublime, but its still nothing like Devil May Cry because system rewards efficent quick kills and penalises "styling" and messing about with your foes, both with the karma system and with the suicide Ninja mechanics

That and being too offensive. Block was kinda pointless in NG2, something that I felt gave NG/NG:B it's "foundation."

It was an alright game, but it paled (IMO) to NGB. I felt it was too "Devil May Cry," especially on higher-difficulties where you had to roll/roll/roll to attack through projectiles.

Except when it was the only way to survive that cheap armadillo explosion.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
One of my biggest criticisms is that they gave up these weapons too late. It'd be cool to find them more naturally on playthroughs, as opposed to doing the more obscure objectives and secrets. By the time you get them, they just don't much up to the upgraded Muramasa.
That's true. Though I hope there are some DLC weapons in the near future

Hm, ranking is hard.

1) Bayonetta + Ninja Gaiden Black
2) Ninja Gaiden 2
3) DMC3
4) MGR
5) Godhand

MGR definety has some potential. So, MGR2 could be much higher in my list.

Also NGB works fine on 360 if you get the games on demand version. The retail game has no sound during the team ninja intro but overall is fine, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
that was a change in design philosophy. Everything about NG2 suggests it was meant to teach you to be constantly moving. If you play it like that it becomes sublime, but its still nothing like Devil May Cry because system rewards efficent quick kills and penalises "styling" and messing about with your foes, both with the karma system and with the suicide Ninja mechanics

So, basically, what I said: Devil May Ninja 2.

Some people may like that, but it wasn't "Ninja Gaiden" to me. The block and wait and punish system was Ninja Gaiden to me.

But at least DMN2 was more a Ninja Gaiden-styled game than Ninja Garbage 3/NG3:Razor's Edge (on your wrists)

Yes, there's some exceptions, but that doesn't disprove my point. Block was pretty much unneeded outside of the reverse-wind/rolling for cannon fodder enemies. Instead of studying enemy movement and punishing, NG2 had you constantly rolling to avoid attacks. Change in pace and I didn't care for it.

How do you manage to make a sub-HD game that craps itself in terms of framerate? Fucking Tecmo and Microsoft.

Name me one game that has even close to that many enemies on screen all with complicated attack patterns and flying limbs constantly.

NG2 was a technical achievement believe it or not. It is still the game with the most efficient use of the 360's edram to date.

block a giant random explosion...with a sword

Itagaki probably laughed his ass off reading GameFAQs message boards about that one

Itagaki.gif

along with, "WOW, this ugly ass green tunnel fight has the worst framerate eeever"

Riposte

I really don't like the upgrade system of Rising. Especially since higher difficulties seem to be all about it. I could see a bunch of ways they could improve the game, but that's the main problem I have with it right now.

TheSeks

So many explosions, so many 360 Lunar UTs, so many "A, X, X, Y"s and so much death. It's a testament that the Mission Mode managed to be even more challenging than the campaign.

Bitch, please, you haven't seen hard until you do that "Defeat all the greater fiends" Team Mission mode in 2 Sigma... without abusing the Rachel Twirl/"PULL!" glitch.

Some people may like that, but it wasn't "Ninja Gaiden" to me. The block and wait and punish system was Ninja Gaiden to me.

But at least DMN2 was more a Ninja Gaiden-styled game than Ninja Garbage 3/NG3:Razor's Edge (on your wrists)

Devil may cry doesn't and has never required you to be constantly moving. People just do because its much more fun to play the game that way.

On the other hand, you stay still in NG2 you die.

ezekial45

Banned
Is there a large damage discrepancy?
Cause I would think the armor breaker or stun blade with fully upgraded special effects would be as good as the the murasama blade... instantly breaking armor and opening something to zandatsu should offset the damage decrease, unless it's major.

With exception to the Fox Blade, the Muramasa is not only the fastest weapon in the game, but also the 2nd strongest. While the other weapons have other specialties, the speed of the Muramasa trumps them.

With that said, the Fox Blade is the strongest by a massive margin. It's practically instant kill.

How much NGB did you play? After a while you can largely play that game offensively (outside of some bosses obviously).

TheSeks

Devil may cry doesn't and has never required you to be constantly moving. People just do because its much more fun to play the game that way.

DMC doesn't have a block system (until 3/4 introduced Royal Guard style), though, so you have to be rolling/moving to avoid damage (or juggling someone in the air). Which is where I'm going with the comparison. Yes, the "styling" system is more DMC than Ninja Gaiden but NG2 and DMC both had too much focus on rolling to avoid attacks than NG2 focusing on the foundation of the block-system that NG introduced.

No, I'm not going to download it on PSN because the save file doesn't work on a memory card (yes I still have a PS2 and I'm thinking of jumping into PCSX2 once I get a gaming rig).

Uh, yes, it does. Just track down one of those old PS3 memory-card adapters. Stick a PS2 memory card in there: XMB->PS2 virtual memory card->God Hand save->Triangle->Copy->PS2 memory card->????->PROFIT!

But God Hand is a terrible game due to the control scheme. A beat-'em-up simply does not work with that dodge system having to keep you from attacking.

How much NGB did you play? After a while you can largely play that game offensively (outside of some bosses obviously).

All of it. But the block-system isn't substituted by you going all-out offensive. Which it was in NG2 with the projectiles (no i-frames, IIRC) and too many guard-break moves on the enemies.

DMC doesn't have a block system (until 3/4 introduced Royal Guard style), though, so you have to be rolling/moving to avoid damage (or juggling someone in the air). Which is where I'm going with the comparison. Yes, the "styling" system is more DMC than Ninja Gaiden but NG2 and DMC both had too much focus on rolling to avoid attacks than NG2 focusing on the foundation of the block-system that NG introduced.

Uh, yes, it does. Just track down one of those old PS3 memory-card adapters. Stick a PS2 memory card in there: XMB->PS2 virtual memory card->God Hand save->Triangle->Copy->PS2 memory card->????->PROFIT!

But God Hand is a terrible game due to the control scheme. A beat-'em-up simply does not work with that dodge system having to keep you from attacking.

Dodging/rolling is not the same as constantly moving. All action games require you to dodge/roll at some point, especially Ninja gaiden Black.

NG2 doesn't have a roll anyway. It has a dash.

And NG2 doesn't do away with the block system entirely. It enhances it with parries and whatsuch. All designed to do away with turtling and being stuck in one spot for too long.

Fun fact:- NG2's parry is actually more reliable and has a smaller window than risings, yet bare anyone knows it exists outside of button bashers who have used it by accident.

How Platinum develops the mechanics in the (now inevitable) sequel is going to determine how high I place this game, I think. It's probably the leanest and most well-paced action game out of the bunch, and even though it doesn't try to do a whole lot it does all of it extremely well. It's pretty obvious that there isn't the depth or longevity of a DMC3/4/Bayonetta or a Ninja Gaiden, but it's definitely one of the most interesting mechanical packages this genre's seen in a while, so I think it could definitely develop into one of the great action game franchises.

I don't think it's going to challenge the top games of the genre on its individual merits, but I'm looking forward to MGR2 more than DMC5 or NG4 at this point.

Astral

Got a B during the final boss fight in Revengeance. Now I have to sit through the credits just to try the whole chapter again. Someone just kill me.

rvy

Banned
Name me one game that has even close to that many enemies on screen all with complicated attack patterns and flying limbs constantly.

NG2 was a technical achievement believe it or not. It is still the game with the most efficient use of the 360's edram to date.

It stops being impressive when the framerate hits the shitter so often. Get rid of the limbs after they've been cut, no point in keeping track of every single body part you've cut and NG II does that to a fault. It's a neat touch, but not when it taxes the game so much.

Astral

Copy that save file after perfect checkpoints man

One of the reasons is because I took too long. The other reason was because I didn't realize the game would take into account the damage I got during the previous 2 phases of the fight. Now I'm just demoralized. Fucking game.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just came into this thread to say I bought this game as a hardcore Metal Gear fan today. I went in with relatively low expectations. However, I am pleasantly surprised with this game. The atmosphere really feels like Metal Gear, albeit in a much more frenetic and fast paced setting. I can really feel Platinum's touch on this game - even the dialogue feels more "on edge" - but I can see that they really did try their best to capture the Metal Gear spirit, and they pulled it off really well. The codec conversations are probably better than MGS4's.

zainetor

Banned
lol 3 mastiffs + 2 fenrirs near the end of the 3rd chapter on very hard. This is madness, if you dont use ripper mode, you are fucked XD

When I start on the Revengence difficulty I want it to be an honest playthrough. Should I stick with the default sword, or should I level up the murasama or fox blade. I don't want to cheese through the difficulty. Do those weapons make it a joke or is it more in line of "We expect you to have these weapons maxed out and the difficulty is adjusted to it to compensate the powerfullness of the weapons" kinda thing.

Guess Who

Banned
When I start on the Revengence difficulty I want it to be an honest playthrough. Should I stick with the default sword, or should I level up the murasama or fox blade. I don't want to cheese through the difficulty. Do those weapons make it a joke or is it more in line of "We expect you to have these weapons maxed out and the difficulty is adjusted to it to compensate the powerfullness of the weapons" kinda thing.

Fox Blade may make things too easy, but there's no shame in using Murasama on Revengeance.

I agree.

NG2 is the king of that though.

block a giant random explosion...with a sword

Itagaki probably laughed his ass off reading GameFAQs message boards about that one

Itagaki.gif

along with, "WOW, this ugly ass green tunnel fight has the worst framerate eeever"

a friend of mine was losing his fucking mind in that fight (was playing on his own and mentioned it while we were talking about shit) then i told him to just block LOLOLOL

Will have to wait longer till i can check this out :/

The music was ok I guess. Just kind generic Japanese rock most of the time. The orchestral parts were okay too. It was all ok...nothing really stands out. Least its not as bad as Bayonetta's music.

I can't believe this is a real opinion from someone that actually exists. Bayonetta has an amazing soundtrack (some of the best orchestral stuff this entire generation), and while Rising's might be an acquired taste, how you couldn't love the implementation of boss themes blows my mind.

Fox blade is overpowered if you have it from what I hear. There's a reason it costs like 200,000 bp.
Murasama? I think they expected you to play normal first so you had it unlocked for hard because the final boss on hard without having any enhancements to the murasama blade sucked. I hate using healing items and being my first encounter with that boss, I was unprepared. :|

Without leveling the blade throughout my very hard playthrough... ugh.

I think it's meant that by the time you get to revengeance mode, you can use whatever you want. Revengeance mode is heavily reliant on perfect parries anyway.

RangerBAD

Okay, I know where all the optional encounters are, but I still seem to miss some other graded encounters. Is there a full list of ALL the encounters in each chapter? I can't get a S rank otherwise.

Dahbomb

The top 5 wasn't in any order by the way. Also I packed in franchises together and only listed the pinnacle of each (like NGB is the ambassador for the NG series). DMC4 isn't listed there but it's a god tier action game on the combat system alone.

Just curious, what are peoples thoughts of God of War around here?
It's a great action/adventure game series with stunning production values and great overall pacing and set pieces. Only think I really hate about GoW is that it basically pushed the QTE mechanic into "modern" gaming along with RE4 but GoW2 is one of my favorite games. I don't hold the game play in GoW that high but the whole package and experience is pretty good. Sort of like the Batman games I guess. GoW2 is my favorite of the series but all of them generally hold to a similar standard, there is no garbage GoW game like there is with the other franchises (NG, DMC have their stinkers).

Thank you corrosivefrost that helps a lot.

Edit: Okay I'll rank my fav 3rd person hardcore action game series, I won't count Rising yet cause I'm not finished with it.

1. Devil May Cry
2. Ninja Gaiden
3. God Hand
4. Onimusha
5. Vanquish

Okay, I know where all the optional encounters are, but I still seem to miss some other graded encounters. Is there a full list of ALL the encounters in each chapter? I can't get a S rank otherwise.

This list is pretty good for most of them: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960699-metal-gear-rising-revengeance/65559540

R-01
1. After Boris informs you of AR you must save the citizen an RPG to the face of one of the two guards tends to make them lose interest in the citizen saving him results in an automatic S

2. When tasked to collect the left arm to open the door you see a truck drive to where you fought the Hammerhead, follow it to start another ranked fight.

R-03
1. After fighting the hammer guys on the roof do NOT go up to the next level where the Hammerhead is instead run straight forward, slice through the fence and jump down, after opening the blade mode box and collecting the holo chip a ranked fight will start.

2. After Raiden becomes confused by Jetstream Sam there is a group of patrolling guards before you reach the Monsoon area you must stealth kill them all taking no damage to obtain an S rank.

R-04
1. When the guards storm the building you must not get on the elevator until after you disable the GRAD or you will miss the rank.

2. After Sundowner's speech return to the area where you fought Mistral/Monsoon to start another ranked fight.

R-05
Before cutting through the last gate of the level, a guard enters through a side door, dispatch of him and go into the room you should see a VR and some watermelons, open the blade mode box and collect the holo chip to start another ranked fight.

The one really important thing is to not stealth kill everything. You could miss out on back-ups being called or a ranked fight (by the ferris wheel in R-01 for example) so make sure you're seen before you kill the enemies, just to be sure (and, of course, if you intercept a call that back-up was called during the previous fight go to the objective marker).

Completed VH last night and Revengeance today without using wigs. What do they do, anyway?

Infinite sub-weapons, Infinite FC gauge, and the 3rd one basically makes your weapon a Fox blade -- it allows you to cut anyone except bosses without having to break armor first.

The top 5 wasn't in any order by the way. Also I packed in franchises together and only listed the pinnacle of each (like NGB is the ambassador for the NG series). DMC4 isn't listed there but it's a god tier action game on the combat system alone.

It's a great action/adventure game series with stunning production values and great overall pacing and set pieces. Only think I really hate about GoW is that it basically pushed the QTE mechanic into "modern" gaming along with RE4 but GoW2 is one of my favorite games. I don't hold the game play in GoW that high but the whole package and experience is pretty good. Sort of like the Batman games I guess. GoW2 is my favorite of the series but all of them generally hold to a similar standard, there is no garbage GoW game like there is with the other franchises (NG, DMC have their stinkers).

Good to know that wasn't in order; Personally, I place Bayonetta pretty low, actually, compared to some of the other games.

As far as God of War games go, your statement may be correct for another week or so... I'm not very confident in Ascension; after playing the demo, I cancelled my pre-order. I wasn't impressed.

There was a [WIP] guide over on ps3t, but I don't know if he's updated lately. Maybe there's one over on x360a?

Thank you corrosivefrost that helps a lot.

Edit: Okay I'll rank my fav 3rd person hardcore action game series, I won't count Rising yet cause I'm not finished with it.

1. Devil May Cry
2. Ninja Gaiden
3. God Hand
4. Onimusha
5. Vanquish

NP.

Surprised you consider Vanquish (and Onimusha, to a degree) an action game in the same
genre as DMC, NG, and God Hand.

Wow. I was 100 points away from getting an S against the final boss. What the FUCK!?

That SUCKS.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I love how metered your response to this game has been, Dahbomb only to come in and drop a "its made my top 5 action games" bombshell! Feels weird seeing you trying to prop up the last remaining morsels of DmC hype while your heart clearly resides elsewhere!

My top 5 would probably be similar. I dont think I liked the combat in NGB more than any of those other things, but its such a perfect game. And then while you have everything competing for that same weapon switching deep stylish combat arena, with the weird and wonderful Godhand on the outlier. Mikami or Platinum really must get round to a spiritual sequel there rather than just teasing it with melee of Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns/Madworld brawler games.

A Rising 2 with genuine full dev time and next-gen graphics could just obliterate all things. I feel theres more places the cut anything mechanic can go than Bayonetta 2 has available to it, and DMC and Ninja Gaiden are dead franchises now.

UFRA

I'm really enjoying this game. I'm not real big on fast paced action games like this (my last one of this genre was Ninja Gaiden Sigma) but man this is fun.

The story seems really cool too. I actually restarted the game after R-00 because the action in the cutscenese was so cool I wanted to see it again.

I got the paperback guide with this too, and I'm glad I did. Without it, there's a ton of tips I'd miss out on and I'm sure I'd get eaten alive out there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A Rising 2 with genuine full dev time and next-gen graphics could just obliterate all things. I feel theres more places the cut anything mechanic can go than Bayonetta 2 has available to it, and DMC and Ninja Gaiden are dead franchises now.

The best thing about Rising is that the cutting mechanic has a lot more wiggle room on stronger hardware. This is one of those games that could, in theory, really benefit from next generation platforms.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
The best thing about Rising is that the cutting mechanic has a lot more wiggle room on stronger hardware. This is one of those games that could, in theory, really benefit from next generation platforms.

My eyes are already reeling from the particle effects in Revengeance. Just imagine when next gen's favourite party trick seeps into a Rising 2's development. 60fps? Pffft. 6,000,000 Sparks Per Second.

Good lawd! Those effects are insane, is that why a ton of people are able to S rank Revengeance mode?

It's very doable without them, and some people are even doing fresh new game runs of Revengeance difficulty, the parry buff in that difficulty makes that feasible (possibly moreso than Very Hard, actually). If you just want the trophy then yeah, wigs/fox blade are the way to go.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Just finished the game once on normal and damn, dat RC-07.

Incredibly short game though, 5 hours on my first playthrough and I DID get stuck on a few fights where I had trouble? Way too short. And frustrating at times, but oh so fun. The kind of frustration that keeps you coming back for more and keep trying until you get it.

But for a short game, I will say this, the soundtrack, the bosses and the set-pieces are absolutely amazing.

But I will attempt to Platinum'd this one. No pain, no gain.

Top Bottom