• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Endo Punk

Armstrong
may well be the best final boss I have fought this gen. They truly saved the best for last where most games peak early MGR just kept on delivering. I was totally expecting Sam to be the last boss. And count me in the group who enjoyed the Red Sun theme/lyrics the most.

Playing on Very Hard now and I just discovered that you can enhance each blade, lol.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The music was ok I guess. Just kind generic Japanese rock most of the time. The orchestral parts were okay too. It was all ok...nothing really stands out. Least its not as bad as Bayonetta's music.

I think both the composer and a majority of the performers were from Los Angeles

but I don't want to get in your case myself. I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack either. (Although I love the adaptive sound track during boss fights)

I don't know nearly enough about music to call it generic or whatever though. I mean it all sounds the same to me to begin with lol.(The stuff people sing praises to on here and the stuff commonly referred to as "butt rock". My baby ears can't tell the difference.)

I think the music fits totally the game, both are light hearted and fun. It's normally not my taste, but I enjoyed every minute.

Calling Bayonettas jazzy music bad is just nuts, though.

Joe Lee

I'm a big fan of power metal and the like, so this soundtrack was right up my alley.

And for the record, I love Bayonetta's soundtrack too. The dude who said they're both bad has bad taste in music.

Riposte

I think both the composer and a majority of the performers were from Los Angeles

but I don't want to get in your case myself. I'm not a huge fan of the soundtrack either. (Although I love the adaptive sound track during boss fights)

I don't know nearly enough about music to call it generic or whatever though. I mean it all sounds the same to me to begin with lol.(The stuff people sing praises to on here and the stuff commonly referred to as "butt rock". My baby ears can't tell the difference.)

I have yet to be convinced anyone who says "butt rock" isn't a tool speaking out of his butt. So naturally, I can't tell the difference either.

Even if the numbers are off by 100k or so, I think Rising 2 is a forgone conclusion at this point. The game's selling well, got reviewed well, has positive buzz all around it, and Kojima apparently liked working with Platinum alot.

True, it would just be that much better to have higher numbers to really solidify any doubt that Kojima might have is all. Glad it's doing well though, it's a great game.

Am I the only one who's favorite theme is Mistral's and Monsoon's?

Wait! Wait, wait, wait...

There's an After Burner stage in Bayonetta?

Getting the feeling I've missed something by not playing Bayo...

You have. People seem to hate that stage though but I give it a pass for the music personally :)

I actually don't care for some of Bayonetta's music, though I do understand why people do and it's certainly not "bad".

Only thing I don't like is that the main battle theme is a bit overused.

Joe Lee

True, it would just be that much better to have higher numbers to really solidify any doubt that Kojima might have is all. Glad it's doing well though, it's a great game.

For me, my favorite would probably be Mistral's and Sam's.

joe2187

Banned

The best game of the entire generation?....yeah maybe.

You have. People seem to hate that stage though but I give it a pass for the music personally :)

On infinite climax...it is literally the worst thing in the game...I wanted to punch Kamiya in the face for it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I adore both. Monsoon's maybe because it was crammed into my head for hours on end when I tried to No Damage run him. But seriously, Monsoon's is one of the best examples of lyrics kicking in to get things hype.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Having a hard time on deciding my favorite theme. I think the only one I don't really like is A Soul Can't Be Cut.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I have yet to be convinced anyone who says "butt rock" isn't a tool speaking out of his butt. So naturally, I can't tell the difference either.

haha yeah I kinda feel the same sometimes

but again I'm not really knowledgeable enough to argue otherwise so I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Beyond being able to recognize basic catchy melodies my musical knowledge is infantile at best. It's why I just stick to playin games

Going from Rising to Bayonetta is a pretty dope transition

go pick up a copy you're in for a treat once you finish Rising

Rising the gateway drug to the greener pastures of gaming

Eh, I got excited, but really that site's numbers aren't even worth mentioning.

Honestly, I don't think the game is selling as well in the U.S. as in Japan. I reaaallly hope I'm wrong, and I'm only anecdotally basing this on popularity charts on Amazon.com and the like.

well in all honesty, The way DmC tanked on amazon, the sales didn't really reflect that.

If we went purely on amazon rankings, DmC shouldn't of scraped 50k in its first week.

Not saying rising is doing amazing, but its been in the top 100 for 33 days straight. That suggests decent (150-250K) but not mindblowing (350k+) numbers to me overall.

couple that with the european numbers and I do think we will see something close to the chartz number, if not higher.

Amazing for platinum, hohum for a metal gear game.

Only thing I don't like is that the main battle theme is a bit overused.

I think that's more because of how it is of a significant length and precedes the best (and if not best, then certainly one of the best) boss fights in the game as opposed to the segment being 'bad' per se. For the first playthrough or two it's enjoyable but when you want to replay the boss battle it becomes a significant obstacle. Personally, I like that Platinum has, seemingly, taken this into consideration in R-06 of Metal Gear Rising where
the boss fight against Sam is an entire chapter
, making it easy to replay.

EDIT: And while the topic of Bayonetta's incredible soundtrack is raised: Blood and Darkness The Greatest Jubilee and You May Call Me Father all were highly fitting tracks to me. I'm still not sure whether Rising or Bayonetta has a soundtrack that's more appealing to me however.

I think that's more because of how it is of a significant length and precedes the best (and if not best, then certainly one of the best) boss fights in the game as opposed to the segment being 'bad' per se. For the first playthrough or two it's enjoyable but when you want to replay the boss battle it becomes a significant obstacle. Personally, I like that Platinum has, seemingly, taken this into consideration in R-06 of Metal Gear Rising where
the boss fight against Sam is an entire chapter
, making it easy to replay.

All true but you're thinking of the Space Harrier bit, the Afterburner music is during the bike section. :) Lots of hate for that too though.

demidar

I must be the only one who actually enjoyed that fight. It gave me a challenge. But the last boss took me 50 tries so I probably just suck overall anyway.

Great theme song tho.

I also really liked fighting Sundowner. I think it's because he doesn't have much of a gimmick that absolutely keeps you away and you can stick on him the entire time. Like, Monsoon has
those throwing phases, rolling phases and fog phases
, Mistral has
those annoying Dwarf Gekkos that interrupt/annoy you as well as when she jumps up on the ledge and throws spheres at you
, Sam has
those annoying parts where he jumps away and you can't reach him and he dashes at you and all you can do is block/dodge
. I'm not even gonna get in to the last boss. I would've preferred it if the Sam fight was
more up in your grill all the time, he doesn't dash away, he just starts slashing at you relentlessly. If you counter him he would dodge for a second, take a breath or taunt and then continue assailing you. It would be a constant rhythm of attacking and defending that won't stop until one of you is dead
. Sundowner is vulnerable 100% of the time and that's why I liked fighting him.

Sephzilla

Eh, I got excited, but really that site's numbers aren't even worth mentioning.

Honestly, I don't think the game is selling as well in the U.S. as in Japan. I reaaallly hope I'm wrong, and I'm only anecdotally basing this on popularity charts on Amazon.com and the like.

I'm not as down on that site as other people are. Their numbers are (usually) at least within the appropriate ballpark, and I just know not to treat them as the end-all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I keep rocking Mistra's and Monsoon's theme in my car cause it's such good driving music.
Interestingly enough, I had no idea what he meant by left hand rule. A quick google led me here. Pretty cool.

Yep. Same with Lorentz Force. I looked them up, too.

How do I avoid the monkey-hugs?

Yellow attacks, including the monkey hugs, are unblockable. Either run from them or use the evasive dodge move called Offensive Defense. You purchase this skill and it is performed by X+A or Square+X.

I'm not as down on that site as other people are. Their numbers are (usually) at least within the appropriate ballpark, and I just know not to treat them as the end-all.

they are only in the ballpark when official numbers are released and they edit their numbers to match. What you are seeing now can be significantly marked up or marked down come NPD time.

Sephzilla

they are only in the ballpark when official numbers are released and they edit their numbers to match. What you are seeing now can be significantly marked up or marked down come NPD time.

Eh, I don't visit that site super often but when I do the numbers I fine are at least decent. In most cases they overshoot their real-life numbers it seems like. Like I said, I just don't treat them like the end-all.

All true but you're thinking of the Space Harrier bit, the Afterburner music is during the bike section. :) Lots of hate for that too though.

Sorry, my mistake. I'd turned on the wrong track before replying (the "Space Harrier (CLIMAX)" one). In that case though, I'm surprised. While I still think that, for replays, such segments lose some of their appeal I can't really think of any specific reason to dislike that segment in particular, the exception to this being the difficulty they pose when trying to pure platinum however.

How do I avoid the monkey-hugs?

Offense-Defense (or whatever the dodge move is called). They have two throws in particular that I can think of, one has a large build up in which their hands are raised before hand while the other is a very quick attack where they hunch over. For the latter you'll want to dodge almost immediately to the left or right (or if you can time it correctly I imagine it's possible to dodge right into them but it's safer to go left, right, or backwards) while the former you can delay for a moment before dodging (dodge too early and you run the risk of dodging into the grapple so if this happens dodge immediately after you exitting the dodging animation or blade mode cancel it if you dodge towards them).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. Same with Lorentz Force. I looked them up, too.

Yellow attacks, including the monkey hugs, are unblockable. Either run from them or use the evasive dodge move called Offensive Defense. You purchase this skill and it is performed by X+A or Square+X.
Oh! I had that move and didn't even know it. Thanks!

Sorry, my mistake. I'd turned on the wrong track before replying (the "Space Harrier (CLIMAX)" one). In that case though, I'm surprised. While I still think that, for replays, such segments lose some of their appeal I can't really think of any specific reason to dislike that segment in particular, the exception to this being the difficulty they pose when trying to pure platinum however.

Yeah same. I just like that bit as a chance to sit back and enjoy the music. Think people just dislike it because it's a bit basic.

Space Harrier bit just drags on too long and has the checkpoint problems you mentioned.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah same. I just like that bit as a chance to sit back and enjoy the music. Think people just dislike it because it's a bit basic.

Space Harrier bit just drags on too long and has the checkpoint problems you mentioned.

Also, give me options to uninvert the controls, please. That section was a nightmare for me because of it.

demidar

Space Harrier and the bike part were great the first time. Having to replay it on harder difficulties (and these encounters do get harder) is a chore, not to mention they locked away the best duel behind the Space Harrier part.

Top Bottom