• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Robot Pants

I'm planning on doing it without wigs. No damaged 00-03 on Very Hard as practice. Although, I will use the Fox Blade.
You'll honestly need a wig for the elevator encounter on r04.

Other than that you shouldn't need a wig. Unless you're a cyborg ninja dog or something

BY2K

Membero Americo
How do I find left arms, exactly? Do I have to cut them myself in Blade Mode on certain enemies? Cause I only got one in my whole first way through the game.

That's how I get wigs, yes?

Dahbomb

I love how metered your response to this game has been, Dahbomb only to come in and drop a "its made my top 5 action games" bombshell! Feels weird seeing you trying to prop up the last remaining morsels of DmC hype while your heart clearly resides elsewhere!
It's top action game franchises not action games! DmC and MGR are roughly equivalent but DmC belongs in the DMC franchise. I wanted to play through Revengeance difficulty to gauge the game better. The game is great but it's not "holy trinity of action games" good. The hardest difficulty is essentially similar to a HoH mode in a DMC game... everything dies fast if you parry it which isn't that difficult to do but you also die fast if you don't know what you are doing. The bosses weren't a big upgrade over previous difficulties, if you got the pattern and parry timing window down they go down very fast meaning you have less chances to fuck up. Yeah S ranking is where the game's true depth and skill level lies but there isn't that much to delve into, it's basically fine tuning your fundamentals so you don't get hit and parry effectively. In that regard top level play among various players of MGR is going to look the same where as in a DMC game, there is a large variance in how different top players played the game because of the tools provided.

How do I find left arms, exactly? Do I have to cut them myself in Blade Mode on certain enemies? Cause I only got one in my whole first way through the game.

That's how I get wigs, yes?

You ge wigs by collecting arms, yeah. You can see which soldiers have arms by looking through Augment Mode and checking to see which soldiers have a flashing green square on them. You can also see their arm glowing green when you go into Blade Mode.

SoCoRoBo

I really hope the health refill system in this game gets noticed by other developers. This gen we've moved towards a system where restoring health takes you away from the action, typically requiring you to just sit behind an object for a couple of seconds. Making aggression the best way to keep health up will hopefully be pretty revolutionary in the complex field of health regeneration systems.

Astral

It's done. I've become a Lightning God. I never wanna do that again. Unfortunately, even though I've sneaked past R-07 twice now, I still don't have the trophy. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Am I not allowed to kill them?

RangerBAD

It's done. I've become a Lightning God. I never wanna do that again. Unfortunately, even though I've sneaked past R-07 twice now, I still don't have the trophy. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. Am I not allowed to kill them?

You didn't get it at the results screen?

Did you sneak past the first three guards in front of the gate at the beginning?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Should I try to unlock everything and get every collectible/upgrades before attempting any S ranks and no damage stuff?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Should I try to unlock everything and get every collectible/upgrades before attempting any S ranks and no damage stuff?

If you have the Murasama and Fox blade, no need to.

Revven

I would definitely try to. Wig B will be incredibly useful and you need to get the collectibles to get it unlocked to buy it.

Hypron

Starts VR mission 18 for the 1st time, gets charged by the gecko, camera does a 180 degree spin right when I should be parrying -> dead. Oh god this is going to be fun.

I just upgraded Muramasa completely and I've S-ranked R-001 and R-002 on Hard already. Ultimately that shit relies on stuff you can't upgrade. So play well, basically.

You really just need to upgrade your patience on harder difficulties. lol

I had frustration with the optional battle on R-002, where you need to take out the 3 Mastiffs and only then can you do the optional fight with the spidery dudes, which is a fucking pain in the ass if you fuck it up. Why doesn't it just checkpoint you at the beginning of that fight? :/

jett

D-Member
I had frustration with the optional battle on R-002, where you need to take out the 3 Mastiffs and only then can you do the optional fight with the spidery dudes, which is a fucking pain in the ass if you fuck it up. Why doesn't it just checkpoint you at the beginning of that fight? :/

The Mastiffs are easily stealthed, and if you can't just use Ripper Mode.

Roto13

"For all his achievements, man is still capable of such depravity. Still driven by such cruel impulses. I know it is your instinct to test the limits. Still, I find it... pitiful."

Wolf chastising me for cutting a guy's clothes off.

The Mastiffs are easily stealthed, and if you can't just use Ripper Mode.

Oh yeah, they're not hard to deal with at all, I can stealth one and use the sai to decimate the others. It's just kinda tedious to constantly redo the bit I can do to get to the bit I want to do.

jett

D-Member
Oh yeah, they're not hard to deal with at all, I can stealth one and use the sai to decimate the others. It's just kinda tedious to constantly redo the bit I can do to get to the bit I want to do.

Yeah. It's a bit annoying that a lot of encounters rely on no health bonuses to be S-ranked. Getting the regular 5000 points seems impossible sometimes.

Yeah. It's a bit annoying that a lot of encounters rely on no health bonuses to be S-ranked. Getting the regular 5000 points seems impossible sometimes.

Especially with that fight, where the UGs just love to spawn right next to you and go "LOL GUESS I'LL SPIN" and fuck up your S-rank.

I'm just playing the prologue on very hard. Is the not way to carry over your stats and weapons through chapter select?

I'm assuming
you get your upgrades back in chapter one

It's very doable without them, and some people are even doing fresh new game runs of Revengeance difficulty, the parry buff in that difficulty makes that feasible (possibly moreso than Very Hard, actually). If you just want the trophy then yeah, wigs/fox blade are the way to go.

What's the parry buff?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
"For all his achievements, man is still capable of such depravity. Still driven by such cruel impulses. I know it is your instinct to test the limits. Still, I find it... pitiful."

Wolf chastising me for cutting a guy's clothes off.

He's a Republican.

Hypron

There we go!

1362193938-mgr.png

The challenges weren't as bad as I thought they would be. I spent maybe 45 minutes on mission 18 and that was the one I was stuck on for the longest (I was too afraid from the hammer guys at first, so I always ended up fucking up. Then I grew some balls and bashed them to pieces using the pincer baldes, and after that the rest was just a walk in the park). I also need to say, mission 17 gets the prize of shittiest VR mission ever.

I think I'm done with the game for now, I won't have to time to get all the S rankings on revengeance because of uni, I'll do that later when I have time.

Overall, I really loved the game. It's dragged down by the camera and some annoying as hell enemies (looking at you, mastifs in small rooms), but as a whole it's still pretty damn fantastic. I'm impatiently awaiting MGR:R 2 on next gen consoles, it has the potential to be something exceptional.

I think they are referring to the perfect parry/counter hit being super powerful in Revengeance mode

Havent done it myself but I think it does close to maximum damage on anyone but the bosses
(sure to be corrected in 5... 4... 3...)
It does absurd damage on bosses as well, like 50-70% depending on which.

Hypron

I think they are referring to the perfect parry/counter hit being super powerful in Revengeance mode

Havent done it myself but I think it does close to maximum damage on anyone but the bosses
(sure to be corrected in 5... 4... 3...)

As far as I know it kills every non-boss enemies in one hit, including GRADs, so you are correct.

Top Bottom