• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I believe the perfect parry window is shorter on Revengeance, though. It might get progressively shorter with each difficulty.

What's the parry buff?

Counters do 500% damage in Revengeance difficulty only, which effectively one-shots everything. Just about every enemy besides the dwarf gekko does over 100% damage to you in a single hit as well, so you'll also die from one shot without health upgrades. I've had a mastiff or monsoon multi-hit throw take multiple nanopastes because they're multi-hit throws that accumulate damage, so they never overkill. The uber parry makes it feasible to kill enemies very quickly without having weapon upgrades or abusing wigs/fox blade, so it's unforgiving but not necessarily tedious.

I think they are referring to the perfect parry/counter hit being super powerful in Revengeance mode

Havent done it myself but I think it does close to maximum damage on anyone but the bosses
(sure to be corrected in 5... 4... 3...)

It does the buffed damage to bosses, but since all of them are multi-phase or can't be fully parried it doesn't one-shot. It's possible to do >80% on one parry against blade wolf (and kill him without him spawning the gekko) or Sam, or to OHK AI Mistral if she swings a dwarf gekko at you. Sundowner jumps back too far for the parries to hit, but I haven't tried air-parrying him yet to confirm if he has the same behavior as the gekkos.

Duffyside

Banned
You have to play some of Revengeance difficulty to get access to the wigs for it, right? Or is that the one difficulty in which you can carry things over from Very Hard?

You have to play some of Revengeance difficulty to get access to the wigs for it, right? Or is that the one difficulty in which you can carry things over from Very Hard?
You can always carry over your unlockables, unless you selected new game instead of selecting R-00 on a new difficulty from chapter select.

Roto13

Has anyone bothered to climb to the top of the pagoda in the Japanese garden. You can see the walls and rafters and stuff. :p

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
/1100 Gamerscore? Doesn't show up that way on my account? What are the new achievements?

jett

D-Member
Oh this is BULLSHIT. No damage'd Sam...didn't get the S rank. Are you telling me I fucking need the 50 hit combo bonus? Oh fuck off game. Just fuck off. FUCK THE RIGHT OFF.

Wait til you try it on New Game with no upgrades.

Do I look like a masochist to you?

Oh this is BULLSHIT. No damage'd Sam...didn't get the S rank. Are you telling me I fucking need the 50 hit combo bonus? Oh fuck off game. Just fuck off. FUCK THE RIGHT OFF.

Do I look like a masochist to you?

There are two crates in the area that contain Nanopaste. If you have the full 5, you'll get 100BP each, so you can get the BP bonus instead of trying for that stupid combo requirement

C0unter

S ranked r-04,wasn't that bad except for the lobby fight and the final elevator one.Sunndowner was just as much of a joke in revengence,they should have made it so that he throws away his shield once he goes below a certain hp.

For the sam fight there is an easy way to get the combo requirement,when the zandatsu prompt comes up dont hit his hand but keep slashing away at his body to build p the combo counter.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
To answer my own question:

DL-VR Master
Complete every DL-VR Mission.

Hero of the Metaverse
Set the highest score on every DL-VR Mission.

Fairly boring achievements actually.

jett

D-Member
There are two crates in the area that contain Nanopaste. If you have the full 5, you'll get 100BP each, so you can get the BP bonus instead of trying for that stupid combo requirement

wait what.

If I kill Sam with 5 nanopastes in my inventory I get the s-rank? WHAT THE FUCK?

Hypron

To answer my own question:

DL-VR Master
Complete every DL-VR Mission.

Hero of the Metaverse
Set the highest score on every DL-VR Mission.

Fairly boring achievements actually.

Yeah :/. I really hope the new VR missions will be better than the existing ones, otherwise I won't get them.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
wait what.

If I kill Sam with 5 nanopastes in my inventory I get the s-rank? WHAT THE FUCK?

If you get the Nanopastes with 5 the ones in the crate will be converted to BP instead

giving you the BP requirement points for the fight

why would anyone do this

It's a title

I'm actually going for it before upgrading shit, since you have to start a new game for it and wipe your progress

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What is perfect parry/counter? You mean when you stun someone? I always parry or block but rarely get a "counter" with free hits.

wait what.

If you kill him with no damage and have the 5 nanopaste with those 2 nanopastes as a bonus, you get an easy S-rank.

No damaging him alone won't give you that automatic S-rank without them, apparently.

jett

D-Member
Yes, the counter parry is when you stun someone. If you don't get the automatic counter then it's not really a parry.

If you get the Nanopastes with 5 the ones in the crate will be converted to BP instead

giving you the BP requirement points for the fight

It's a title

I'm actually going for it before upgrading shit, since you have to start a new game for it and wipe your progress

Oh I see now. Ugh. Such bullshit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
C0unter explained above that you don't actually need the nanopaste. A 50 hit combo can be done during the final Zandatsu against Sam.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if you cheat and play with wigs. Which I might as well just fucking do. :lol

No shame in it really I think.

That's how most people do alot of the post game content in every Metal Gear game

I know I wasn't going to try fucking S ranks in Peace Walker without the Bandana

Is there a place to check how many Gekko Koneko I've come across? Do you have to destroy them or just find them?

Is there a place to check on left hands too?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Jesus Christ there's a lot of Codecs convo in this game.

Now I understand why the achievement says to listen to MOST of them.

I really regret not pre-ordering the game, I hope the Gray Fox DLC will be made public eventually.

Is there a place to check how many Gekko Coneco I've come across? Do you have to destroy them or just find them?

Is there a place to check on left hands too?
With the Gekkos it has to be done in a single continuous playthrough AFAIK, so that's how you know which ones you got. You do have to destroy them.

In the main menu there's a collection section that you can go to, and it lists the IDs of every left hand you've gotten, along with the data pads and titles you've gotten.

TheSeks

And by single continuous playthrough he means exactly that: No chapter selections for you.

And the same applies for the codec apparently.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Jesus Christ there's a lot of Codecs convo in this game.

Now I understand why the achievement says to listen to MOST of them.

I really regret not pre-ordering the game, I hope the Gray Fox DLC will be made public eventually.

The gray fox skin and fox sword are pretty sweet. I am glad i pre-order even if it was at the last minute.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah :/. I really hope the new VR missions will be better than the existing ones, otherwise I won't get them.

My least favorite part of the game by far, but still willing to at least buy it to support them.

One thing I should mention is that while Platinum does have the obligatory collectathon in their games at least for the most part they make them trackable in a way that doesn't devolve it into a needle in a haystack for figuring out which ones you've missed.

Every game that has collectathon fluff needs either that, or a tracker that explicitly points them out when you're near them, because man when games do not do that it's frustrating to the highest degree. Makes it so that there's little point in actually trying to collect them yourself at first and just resort to a guide for all of it.

jett

D-Member
Does it? I didn't have Ripper Mode activated, but I didn't think it made any difference on bosses anyway.

On Sam it does. I start the fight with ripper mode, break his defense with light attacks, do some damage, counter parry, continue on with the rest of the fight.

BTW, that fight is just poorly balanced. The camera works against you in letting you know which combo is coming out. And there's no soundbite to differentiate each combo either. Really shitty telegraphing. And then there's the throwing stones bullshit which he will do even if you're right next to him.

Fucking FUCK, test your games next time PG.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Every game that has collectathon fluff needs either that, or a tracker that explicitly points them out when you're near them, because man when games do not do that it's frustrating to the highest degree. Makes it so that there's little point in actually trying to collect them yourself at first and just resort to a guide for all of it.

idk

I just pop open a youtube video on my phone for that stuff in every game no matter what

I love modern technology.

but yeah it's nice being able to keep track of them

With the Gekkos it has to be done in a single continuous playthrough AFAIK, so that's how you know which ones you got. You do have to destroy them.

In the main menu there's a collection section that you can go to, and it lists the IDs of every left hand you've gotten, along with the data pads and titles you've gotten.

And by single continuous playthrough he means exactly that: No chapter selections for you.

And the same applies for the codec apparently.

Damn, okay. Thanks

My least favorite part of the game by far, but still willing to at least buy it to support them.

Some of the VR missions suck — anything revolving around using missles/grenades — but the combat and ninja-kill ones are pretty fun to figure out. Granted, I haven't spent much time with 18 and 19 yet, but still.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
A fan made these for us during our Rising playthru on http://youtube.com/yovideogames

polespin.gif

hitbyacar.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
On Sam it does. I start the fight with ripper mode, break his defense with light attacks, do some damage, counter parry, continue on with the rest of the fight.

BTW, that fight is just poorly balanced. The camera works against you in letting you know which combo is coming out. And there's no soundbite to differentiate each combo either. Really shitty telegraphing. And then there's the throwing stones bullshit which he will do even if you're right next to him.

Fucking FUCK, test your games next time PG.

Maybe it does. I have no idea. He defense can be broken early on without Ripper Mode, too though, which causes a crumple stun.

I actually love that he doesn't telegraph himself nearly as much. The first two hits of the combo are almost always near the same speed... enough to block them anyway. His change in stance makes it obvious which of the 3 finishers he will do instead.

He almost always jumps back before he chucks rocks. Don't chase after him.

jett

D-Member
I actually love that he doesn't telegraph himself nearly as much. The first two hits of the combo are almost always near the same speed... enough to block them anyway. His change in stance makes it obvious which of the 3 finishers he will do instead.

Well I think it's BS. It's extremely hard to figure out what is coming out by looking at his fucking feet. The 3-hit, 1-hit combo is the one that fucks me over every single time, since all the others are 2 hits, pause, 2 hits. Even then, the rhythm is decidedly different for all of them.

He almost always jumps back before he chucks rocks. Don't chase after him.

He has done it out of nowhere several times. Oh and I forgot to mention the fucked up camera when Sam does a jumping attack when he's near you. Quite literally impossible to block. Eventually I wised up and just learned to dodge my way out of that, but still what a fucking annoyance. This game is literally as much as Jekyll and Hyde in terms of quality for me as Raiden himself in terms of personality. One moment I'm having the time of my life the next I want to rip off the balls of whoever was responsible for the game's techincal issues.

Hypron

He has done it out of nowhere several times. Oh and I forgot to mention the fucked up camera when Sam does a jumping attack when he's near you. Quite literally impossible to block. Eventually I wised up and just learned to dodge my way out of that, but still what a fucking annoyance. This game is literally as much as Jekyll and Hyde in terms of quality for me as Raiden himself in terms of personality. One moment I'm having the time of my life the next I want to rip off the balls of whoever was responsible for the game's techincal issues.

Yeah, when I was going for the no damage achievement against him, he did that attack at point blank most of the time. It's freaking BS because on top of being really short, the wind-up looks a lot like one of his other attacks, and the attack itself launches almost instantaneously and is impossible to parry.

TheSeks

I don't think I've ever seen Sam chuck rocks at me, he'll do that bullshit rush attack but you can parry/block that IIRC. He only does the rocks if he's EXTREMELY far away and even if he's far away (AKA: he jumps back at 80-40% health left) he won't really do it.

Maybe on difficulties higher than hard he does it more often, but I never really ran into chucking rocks except maybe once or twice against him.

jett

D-Member
I don't think I've ever seen Sam chuck rocks at me, he'll do that bullshit rush attack but you can parry/block that IIRC. He only does the rocks if he's EXTREMELY far away and even if he's far away (AKA: he jumps back at 80-40% health left) he won't really do it.

Maybe on difficulties higher than hard he does it more often, but I never really ran into chucking rocks except maybe once or twice against him.

This is Revengeance we're talking about. I think it's a bug/error personally, it just makes no sense and it's 100% cheap.

at last boss on hard. didn't know how to cut that shitty rock and gave up for now. weird to see this bullshit on the last streak.

perfect game up until now.

Top Bottom