• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I was trying on Very Hard, couldn't avoid taking a bump from all of her minions.

So it's best to go for those trophies on Revengeance then?

I haven't tried to go for those trophies yet but I would assume so.

Edit: Considering you die in like two hits though I would maybe copy save files before attempting if you go into the fight with low nanopastes.

How the fuck do you no damage Mistral? Son of a bitch Dwarf Gekkos.
Although I don't have a problem with the Dwarf Gekkos (the move where she throws one at you was a problem for me though) I found it easiest to rush her as fast as possible. The circular stage is the one I found the most difficult since it's relatively small but the layout makes it difficult to keep track of everything. I'd recommend dodging as opposed to parrying since Dwarf Gekkos behind you pose a risk as you exit the parry (if you don't get a perfect parry that is, if you do, use blade to cut Mistral a smal amount and then turn around and use it to destroy nearby Dwarf Gekko.

If you've completed the game already and are trying Revengeance consider using the Pole Arm (I don't recommend this though as it makes Mistral dodge after she blocks a few attacks but if it's only the Dwarf Gekko you've a problem with maybe it'll help with crowd control) or (what I highly suggest) the Pincers. Put distance between the two of you, charge the attacks to do major damage to her and then use dodge offset to move position before charging the next attack. You can get the combo requirement using the Muramasa on a later part of the fight where it's easier (the second, I feel, is the easiest to fulfil it, particularly by using Ninja Run and x (or square it you're on the Playstation. This is also an excellent way to destroy Dwarf Gekko if they're the only thing causing a threat).

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

demidar

I was trying on Very Hard, couldn't avoid taking a bump from all of her minions.

So it's best to go for those trophies on Revengeance then?

Spam EM grenades (seems like the answer to everything lol), which will make Mistral flinch and disable the Gekkos long enough to deal with them/get hit by stray Pincer attacks and die.

Although I don't have a problem with the Dwarf Gekkos (the move where she throws one at you was a problem for me though) I found it easiest to rush her as fast as possible. The circular stage is the one I found the most difficult since it's relatively small but the layout makes it difficult to keep track of everything. I'd recommend dodging as opposed to parrying since Dwarf Gekkos behind you pose a risk as you exit the parry (if you don't get a perfect parry that is, if you do, use blade to cut Mistral a smal amount and then turn around and use it to destroy nearby Dwarf Gekko.

If you've completed the game already and are trying Revengeance consider using the Pole Arm (I don't recommend this though as it makes Mistral dodge after she blocks a few attacks but if it's only the Dwarf Gekko you've a problem with maybe it'll help with crowd control) or (what I highly suggest) the Pincers. Put distance between the two of you, charge the attacks to do major damage to her and then use dodge offset to move position before charging the next attack. You can get the combo requirement using the Muramasa on a later part of the fight where it's easier (the second, I feel, is the easiest to fulfil it, particularly by using Ninja Run and x (or square it you're on the Playstation. This is also an excellent way to destroy Dwarf Gekko if they're the only thing causing a threat).

Hopefully that helps somewhat.

I never put any thought into using the Pincers, I'll have to try that out. Forgot about the wigs as well. Doing this super legit has been a real pain in the ass so far.

If you want to avoid the gekkos you can also just circle behind Mistral using the dodge move (while being locked on to her). It seems to take a bit for the gekkos to actually start doing anything after you haven't moved for a while.

Edit: I hate using the pole arm in this game because it disables use of stinger. I would probably use it more if it didn't do that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Pincers are slow as hell, but hit something and whatever it is will stop whatever they were going to do.

Helps a lot, IMO.

demidar

Don't forget to activate Ripper mode as well, can be done after you input (and charge) the attack but before it hits. Do it right and you can even one-shot a Hammerhead.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you want to avoid the gekkos you can also just circle behind Mistral using the dodge move (while being locked on to her). It seems to take a bit for the gekkos to actually start doing anything after you haven't moved for a while.

Edit: I hate using the pole arm in this game because it disables use of stinger. I would probably use it more if it didn't do that.
Yeah pole arm quickly went from my favorite subweapon to least used.

Just doesn't have the utility of the other two and I prefer Raiden's moveset with the sword.

The Pincers are slow as hell, but hit something and whatever it is will stop whatever they were going to do.

Helps a lot, IMO.

I love them but I've had to learn the hard way to exercise restraint because that animation lock is serious business if you're fighting anything that has even a sliver of speed.

I think the pincers are borderline broken (especially with ripper mode) but damned if they aren't cool as fuck.

After playing this on Revengeance for a while I think a new game Revengeance run would actually be pretty fun. I will probably try it after Platinuming the game.

Raxus

Once you know what to do and have upgraded Raiden more he's one of the easiest fights in the game. He's also a blast to fight.

He has tons of openings and quick time events once you know how to draw them out. Offensive/Defense evade is a must for that fight.

I DID IT

It's not as hard as I expected actually, only took my 2 sessions
photo_zps3ce31cde.jpg

jett

D-Member
I'm doing a Revengeance S-rank run...why in the name of sweet fucking jesus do I keep dying in the collapsing bridge in R-01? What the fuck?

edit: done. This game be such shit sometimes. I only have this issue on Revengeance.

Mike M

Nick N
Another question: Occasionally when killing a bigger enemy time would slow down, almost as if giving me the chance to perform some finisher or to slash the enemy in a thousand pieces, but none of the buttons did anyting. Are those scenes just for exposition?
If your FC level is below the threshold needed to go into slow-mo when you go to blade mode, there's a brief slow down to indicate when it's recharged enough to use it again. If it's not that, then I dunno.

Revven

Another question: Occasionally when killing a bigger enemy time would slow down, almost as if giving me the chance to perform some finisher or to slash the enemy in a thousand pieces, but none of the buttons did anyting. Are those scenes just for exposition?.

Not sure what console you're playing the demo on, but press the left trigger when this comes up to activate Blade Mode and slash away at them. The slow down + blue hue surrounding the screen indicates you need to use Blade Mode.

mattp

ok am I doing something wrong or is
the fist fight with Armstrong on very hard fucking stupid? i don't know what to do. you can't even parry his attacks because it still takes away like 25% of your health

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
the fist fight with Armstrong on very hard fucking stupid? i don't know what to do. you can't even parry his attacks because it still takes away like 25% of your health
The Offensive Defense move is your best friend on him. X+[ ] on PS3.

deim0s

I think you have to whittle him down to 98% or much lower - so dodge everything.

I'm doing a Revengeance S-rank run...why in the name of sweet fucking jesus do I keep dying in the collapsing bridge in R-01? What the fuck?

edit: done. This game be such shit sometimes. I only have this issue on Revengeance.

I instinctively press jump at the last bit, can't really confirm tho - when I don't, instadeath.

Kard8p3

Been sick the last few days, so this has put a damper on my MGR play time, but man, I love this game, definitely already a contender for GOTY. Also because I am now in an action game craze, I decided to download Ninja Gaiden Black, I can only imagine the pain I am in for.

Just beat Sam, the sad thing is I didn't fully understand how to parry until this fight, feels so good now.

Is there something special you have to do in the fight to get his sword?

mattp

I think you have to whittle him down to 98% or much lower - so dodge everything.
yep that's what it was. kind of an annoying little bit of the game. but man the last fight is still so fucking good.

quick thought: i totally didn't realize how useful ripper mode is until a while into very hard. makes dealing with a group of fucking mastiffs so much easier

I did not play the demo, so fighting against the cyborg dog in chapter 2 is a complete new experience for me. I did not expect this game to be that merciless. I am not a great Hack'n'Slash player. I will never be one, but that dog is killing me always. I am happy the game is so unforgiving. At the end I am always blaming myself "why did I not stop attacking?", "why did I run to him?" etc. I am happy PG is forcing me to learn how to parry that early in the game because I imagine it will be damn useful in later parts of the game.

Story seems interesting. I cannot wait to defeat my first Mtn Everest, that damn cyborg dog, the first time. I guess I am going to have a lot of Everests in this game. Haha I suggested my brother who bought the PS3 copy at the same time to do a story race. Lucky for me he disagreed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
yep that's what it was. kind of an annoying little bit of the game. but man the last fight is still so fucking good.

quick thought: i totally didn't realize how useful ripper mode is until a while into very hard. makes dealing with a group of fucking mastiffs so much easier

I didn't use it much until I got all of the left hands because I was paranoid about missing them. It is awesome.

I did not play the demo, so fighting against the cyborg dog in chapter 2 is a complete new experience for me. I did not expect this game to be that merciless. I am not a great Hack'n'Slash player. I will never be one, but that dog is killing me always. I am happy the game is so unforgiving. At the end I am always blaming myself "why did I not stop attacking?", "why did I run to him?" etc. I am happy PG is forcing me to learn how to parry that early in the game because I imagine it will be damn useful in later parts of the game.

I'm very glad to hear you haven't given up. There needs to be more players like you -- players willing to learn the nuances of an action game like Rising no matter how tough it'll be. (b'_')b

Yeah, Parry is one of your two primary means of defense, so it really helps to get the rhythm down ASAP. There's a dodge move called Defensive Offense listed in the shop under Skills. I recommend purchasing it as early as you can. You'll be using it as much as you Parry in the later levels of the game.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Spent a lot of time to get a no damage S-Rank on Ray on Revengeance. Only boss that doesn't have an achievement tied to it. Fuck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Spent a lot of time to get a no damage S-Rank on Ray on Revengeance. Only boss that doesn't have an achievement tied to it. Fuck.

I did the same thing on Wolf on Hard. Only took a couple tries to no damage him though. I imagine Ray is a bitch on higher difficulties.

Fuck, I think the GRAD on the overpass bit is glitched. Beaten it at least 15 times now without taking any damage but the game won't give me a No Damage bonus. Can't S rank without it.

:(

C0unter

So whats raiden's codec conversation about someone called
Gubayama
about?Seems kinda random,guessing its a reference to a mgs game?

Fuck, I think the GRAD on the overpass bit is glitched. Beaten it at least 15 times now without taking any damage but the game won't give me a No Damage bonus. Can't S rank without it.

:(

Just wondering, did you die on this section?

EDIT: The reason I ask is because I've noticed at times that if I die on a section and hit restart it voids the No Damage bonus and adds to the time so that may be what's causing your inability to receive it.

Top Bottom