• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Carbonox

I did the same thing on Wolf on Hard. Only took a couple tries to no damage him though. I imagine Ray is a bitch on higher difficulties.

On Normal a charged Ripper-powered Pincer attack can take Wolf out in like one hit. :lol Dunno what it's like on the harder difficulties as I used different tactics to fuck him up.

chrono01

So whats raiden's codec conversation about someone called
Gubayama
about?Seems kinda random,guessing its a reference to a mgs game?

Sorry, I wish I could help you. I played through a bit of Metal Gear Solid 1, but that's basically been the extent of my MGS knowledge.

On the subject, though, that reminds me:

Yama in Japanese means "mountain". Does that help?

Blade Wolf is amazing.

McNum

So whats raiden's codec conversation about someone called
Gubayama
about?Seems kinda random,guessing its a reference to a mgs game?
I think it's a reference to the ending of MGS2. Where the AI Colonel just goes crazy. But I'm not entirely sure.

chrono01

Blade Wolf is probably the best character that came out of this game. Can't wait for his DLC!

To be honest, I agree. That means a lot considering how high I rank all of the characters for MGR [that includes bosses].

Blade Wolf, though, is on another tier entirely. While I am extremely excited for his DLC, I would play an entire game based around him.

Joe Lee

So I've decided to start a run through on Hard, and I'm really not noticing any real difference in difficulty between Normal and Hard. Hell, I'm actually get way more S ranks this time around than I did in my two playthroughs on Normal

I also managed to S rank Monsoon, which kind of confused me because I thought the No Damage bonus was basically required to get S ranks?

Neiteio

I can't check right now, but are all of the preorder costumes available for purchase individually, I.E. Inferno Raiden, etc? I got mine at Gamestop so I got the Gray Fox outfit, but I'd like to pick up all of the other ones, if possible.

Desperado Raiden is probably my favorite. It effectively makes you look like one of the Winds of Destruction.

Canti

So I just finished the monsoon fight on hard with no damage but didn't get the trophy. Is this a common bug? I guess I won't be getting it retroactively if there's a patch. A shame as it took me forever :-(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mind-dump:

I'm liking the game a lot, but I can't skip the awful cut-scenes fast enough. I wish there was more environmental variety. (Bland city, sewer, bland city. Grey, brown, blue-grey, black.)

The combat on normal seems to be flail around with counters, tap dodge at the right time when enemy turns yellow, Zandatsu when enemy turns blue. Wildly fun to start with, but none of the enemy types are really forcing me to reconsider my play-style and improvise. The last boss I fought had a shield that required super-precise cutting, which is a skill nothing in the game-- up to that point -- had promoted.

Cutscenes and dialogue are fucking dreadful.

demidar

Mind-dump:

I'm liking the game a lot, but I can't skip the awful cut-scenes fast enough. I wish there was more environmental variety. (Bland city, sewer, bland city. Grey, brown, blue-grey, black.)

The combat on normal seems to be flail around with counters, tap dodge at the right time when enemy turns yellow, Zandatsu when enemy turns blue. Wildly fun to start with, but none of the enemy types are really forcing me to reconsider my play-style and improvise. The last boss I fought had a shield that required super-precise cutting, which is a skill nothing in the game-- up to that point -- had promoted.

You should play on Hard.

Roto13

Mind-dump:

"I'm liking this game a lot but I have absolutely nothing positive to say about it."

CatPee

Mind-dump:

Play on Revengeance.

Neiteio

I quite like Denver in this game. Glittering skyscrapers with a strong sense of vertigo (pan up at World Marshal), set against a gathering storm... Warm interior design, with polished wood and glass walls... Cobblestone streets slick with rain, terraced with stairs, featuring cute outdoor cafes and the like. Having a cyborg police force come after you in a freshly evacuated city block is all sorts of badass.

Can't get enough of the cutscenes, either. I'd love a whole movie like this. It's the first time I've liked the cutscenes in an MGS game, rather than simply tolerating them. The look of Raiden's body, how the thin but sturdy armor shifts on his musculature, or the weary emotion you see in his dark-circled eyes, conveys a lot of character. Reminds me of a well-done Del Toro character, actually. Sort of that "the man is a monster but the monster is a man" deal, being inherently inhuman but wearing your heart on your sleeve all the same.

Also, rewatching the cutscenes introducing Monsoon, I just love his voice. "Kill or be killed, Jack. Phnom Penh taught me that." "You've lost your mind." "No, Sam -- he's mine." All of the characters have tremendous voice acting, actually. The schizophrenic touches in Raiden's voice, varying by context, is another nice touch; so is the amount of empathy they manage to convey through Wolf, even as his tone of voice never changes.

one85x

I'm doing a Revengeance S-rank run...why in the name of sweet fucking jesus do I keep dying in the collapsing bridge in R-01? What the fuck?

edit: done. This game be such shit sometimes. I only have this issue on Revengeance.
This reminded me that I need to test out a theory regarding that part. Basically, your fate is tied to the barbwire barricade at the beginning of the bridge. If you destroy, you'll die. Jump over it and you'll live.

demidar

This reminded me that I need to test out a theory regarding that part. Basically, your fate is tied to the barbwire barricade at the beginning of the bridge. If you destroy, you'll die. Jump over it and you'll live.

I have another theory: It's possible that if you do too well you'll die because you're past a trigger point. I was all up in to the non-collapsing area, I was standing on solid ground and then the death cutscene triggered as if Raiden had matter-phasing nanomachines and phased through the bridge.

Perfect Parry, zandatsu 5 bladefodder, ripping all spines at once. Feels good, son.

Btw. Remixed enemies start at very hard. So you won't notice a big difference coming from normal to hard. On hard they just deal more damage. But on VH and upwards they're more aggressive etc.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh, hey, I was wrong. I forget who I told this but:

Amateur Radio Operator DOES NOT NEED TO BE DONE IN A SINGLE-PLAYTHROUGH

I just got it in R-01 Very Hard by spamming the Codec to try to find the ones I was missing. So long as you have 400 of the 500 Codec calls in your save file, you should be good to go. You can fast-forward these calls (but they're really interesting so I suggest not doing that, but...) if you want to.

Robot Pants

Oh, hey, I was wrong. I forget who I told this but:

Amateur Radio Operator DOES NOT NEED TO BE DONE IN A SINGLE-PLAYTHROUGH

I just got it in R-01 Very Hard by spamming the Codec to try to find the ones I was missing. So long as you have 400 of the 500 Codec calls in your save file, you should be good to go. You can fast-forward these calls (but they're really interesting so I suggest not doing that, but...) if you want to.
Definitely the worst achievement in the game. Spending time skipping all the useless dribble after every encounter from every character in every chapter got old really quickly.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I can't check right now, but are all of the preorder costumes available for purchase individually, I.E. Inferno Raiden, etc? I got mine at Gamestop so I got the Gray Fox outfit, but I'd like to pick up all of the other ones, if possible.

Desperado Raiden is probably my favorite. It effectively makes you look like one of the Winds of Destruction.

MGS4 Raiden is at least on the PS Store. Not sure about the others.

I do agree that Desperado Raiden is the best. It looks so awesome, especially when paired with the Murasama.

Endo Punk

I kind of ruined Very Hard playthrough for myself. I maybe shouldn't have started with all enhancements but I just want to try out the new weapons, maxed out armour breaker is my favourite. Makes it too easy though.

MGS4 Raiden is at least on the PS Store. Not sure about the others.

I do agree that Desperado Raiden is the best. It looks so awesome, especially when paired with the Murasama.
Personally I dig prologue Raiden, the full face and the hair being down just makes him look a lot better than his customized body.

jett

D-Member
oh mah gawd s-ranking the rooftops in R-03 drove me to the brink of insanity. Two hours to manage those two ranked fights in a row.

jett

D-Member
Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha

This guy is such a fucking idiot. :lol Disabled commentaries too.

Oh god I hate that bit so much. Sliders, man. :(

Yeah goddamn randomness. I ditched the no damage bonus and just did it straight, there was no other way. FUCKING BULLETS OUT OF GODDAMN NOWHERE. I'll choke a bitch the next up some little stupid shitstain says off-screen attacks are not an issue in this game.

I've played it for a couple hours and finished the first chapter (I think). I've got to the point where I first fought Gekkos, but I find the game repetitive and the story ridiculous.

Does it get better or is the entire game like that? I'm disappointed so far.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
i think people can learn a thing or two from this guy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH0twvyfM4

spoilers: Second Bossfight

Holy shit at the amount of views that guy has. Only remember him from some early SF4 footage and he has the same annoying habits here. Every time he makes a mistake it's the game's fault. Is this a dumb persona thing or do people just watch to laugh at him?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've played it for a couple hours and finished the first chapter (I think). I've got to the point where I first fought Gekkos, but I find the game repetitive and the story ridiculous.

Does it get better or is the entire game like that? I'm disappointed so far.

Gameplay gets better once it clicks. Game has a bit of a learning curve but later enemies and bosses force you to learn it, which winds up makig the game way more fun.

As for ridiculousness, it goes off the charts as the game goes on. It's an insane game, you just have to embrace it.

Top Bottom