• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MGS4 Raiden is at least on the PS Store. Not sure about the others.

I do agree that Desperado Raiden is the best. It looks so awesome, especially when paired with the Murasama.

That's how i play the now. Raiden looks like he can be part of the winds of destruction. I hope the White and Red Raiden skins are released soon.

Well i have just beaten mistral. It can't get any better than this surely?

By the way are there any wallpapers for raiden and this game. Would love a desktop background

Carbonox

So tempting to throw my PS3 out the window and be done with gaming. That's how frustrating VR Mission 17 is with the FUCKING RAPTORS. CUNTS.

No matter how many fucking grenades or rockets I spam those fuckers with, they keep on coming. Plus with a block of anything, I'm unable to get out of the way of their FUCKING HOMING JUMPS. FUCK OFF.

I don't give a shit how harder the next ones are. Limited to rockets and grenades against these cheap cunts is the worst.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You guys have a favorite regular enemy you like to fight?

Mine would have to be Mastiffs. I think they display a nice variety of moves and tactics, so I'm always fully engaged when I face these dudes. Just the right amount of challenge and intimidation, too.

Least favorite? Easily those RPG assholes. The lobby assault in R-04 was the WORST part of my Revengeance S-rank playthrough. Ugh, never again.

So tempting to throw my PS3 out the window and be done with gaming. That's how frustrating VR Mission 17 is with the FUCKING RAPTORS. CUNTS.

No matter how many fucking grenades or rockets I spam those fuckers with, they keep on coming. Plus with a block of anything, I'm unable to get out of the way of their FUCKING HOMING JUMPS. FUCK OFF.

I don't give a shit how harder the next ones are. Limited to rockets and grenades against these cheap cunts is the worst.

Yeah, even the hardest normal VR mission is better than that crap.

Have you tried throwing the grenades without aiming?

Carbonox

Yeah, even the hardest normal VR mission is better than that crap.

Have you tried throwing the grenades without aiming?

Yeah, I definitely try and throw the grenades/shoot the rockets without aiming (unless there is a clear bit of distance between me and the nearest enemy).

I guess this one will just be a case of how lucky I am with the enemy AI.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sneaking through World Marshall Building on Very Hard. Get to the section finding the three wall power units. Totally fuck up and accidentally alert everyone right from the fucking start.

4(?) gorillas, 1 super-sword guy, a raptor.
officespace02cb9.png

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sneaking through World Marshall Building on Very Hard. Get to the section finding the three wall power units. Totally fuck up and accidentally alert everyone right from the fucking start.

4(?) gorillas, 1 super-sword guy, a raptor.
officespace02cb9.png

I sprinted through the pitch black area in chapter 3. I would not be surprised if I had 6 Mastiffs at the same time attacking me, and I don't honestly know if that was even humanly possible.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I sprinted through the pitch black area in chapter 3. I would not be surprised if I had 6 Mastiffs at the same time attacking me, and I don't honestly know if that was even humanly possible.

Yes. I don't know why I'm trophy hunting on Very Hard, (HURT ME MORE, DAWG) but the results like going for that one was hilarious. Just a straight up gorilla gang-bang in the dark. Put that on the box for the Best Of release Konami.

Also a pox on all of you who skip slicing Sundowner's shields. Just hearing him say "...THE FUCK?!" is glorious.

Hypron

If the camera was any good at keeping track of them, it'd be completely doable. Parrying their jumps in VR mission 18 is really simple, because the arena is rager large and completely empty. They are only such a pain to deal with in single player because the camera is horrendous.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The best LPs are the ones where nobody talks

or they do post recording commentary so they can prepare interesting things to say.

I'll never get why people do LPs of a game they've never completed before but I guess I don't have to. They obviously have their audience.

I really enjoy them if the player has personality and the game lends itself to spectacle. MGR is perfect let's play material for initial playthroughs just to see reactions to all the awesome shit that happens. It's fun.

Let's play a with no commentary are boring. Those are just walkthroughs, which also have their place.

Kanguro

Neo Member
Okay I fucking suck at parrying. Any tips from more experienced players?

The slow-mo that happens just before an enemy attacks you always throws me off. And I think the initial instructions for parrying said that you had to aim your strike in the direction of the attack? Not sure what that even means... aim it with the left analogue stick? Or does it just mean I should be facing my attacker?

I just started the sewers and the gorilla things just wreck my shit non stop.

L.O.R.D

The slow-mo that happens just before an enemy attacks you always throws me off. And I think the initial instructions for parrying said that you had to aim your strike in the direction of the attack? Not sure what that even means... aim it with the left analogue stick? Or does it just mean I should be facing my attacker?

just press X (xbox controller) and left stick to the target before he hit you
when you see the "slow motion " quickly press LT to activate blade mode

You tap toward the direction of the attack + light attack to parry. As for a tip, when enemies attack, there is the red flash and then an audio cue, sounds like a whoosh. If you parry at the whoosh, it'll be a perfect parry. Otherwise, it'll just be a block.

Jintor

The best LPs are the ones where nobody talks

or they do post recording commentary so they can prepare interesting things to say.

I'll never get why people do LPs of a game they've never completed before but I guess I don't have to. They obviously have their audience.

it's fun to hear people react in real time to stuff. It's why the GiantBomb Endurance Run of P4 is so amazing - Jeff and Vinny are surprisingly good improv comedians. The escalating Mysterious Fox run-ins are amazing.

If the camera was any good at keeping track of them, it'd be completely doable. Parrying their jumps in VR mission 18 is really simple, because the arena is rager large and completely empty. They are only such a pain to deal with in single player because the camera is horrendous.

That attack where they jump onto the wall/ceiling then dive at you can phase through walls. I had it happen while waiting for the elevator near the turrets. I was in the hallway with the elevators and I could see them leaping around by the turrets. There was silence, then out of nowhere, one smashes into me, through the wall.

Scared the fuck out of me.

jett

D-Member
Oh hells yeah, S-ranked monsoon without the need to no damage the guy. Feels good, mang. Would've gotten the no damage if it wansn't for one of those flying trucks anyway. :p Half-way through my Revengeance S-rank run.

Started my long delayed codec run on VHard.

Gotta love all the details they throw in.

MGS history explanations from past and present, sci fi tech theories, fan service, enemy breakdowns, expanded tutorials + tips and tricks... even reactions to what Raiden witnesses/does in the field.

So much content that adds to the world/story and I haven't even gotten to Mistral yet o_O

Classic Metal Gear!

MGS history explanations from past and present, sci fi tech theories, fan service, enemy breakdowns, expanded tutorials + tips and tricks... even reactions to what Raiden witnesses/does in the field.

So much content that adds to the world/story and I haven't even gotten to Mistral yet o_O

Classic Metal Gear!

And I think other Metal Gear games are even more in-depth with codec calls. It's insane how much work goes into them.

Kanguro

Neo Member
just press X (xbox controller) and left stick to the target before he hit you
when you see the "slow motion " quickly press LT to activate blade mode

You tap toward the direction of the attack + light attack to parry. As for a tip, when enemies attack, there is the red flash and then an audio cue, sounds like a whoosh. If you parry at the whoosh, it'll be a perfect parry. Otherwise, it'll just be a block.

Okay this is what's confusing me. Is it towards the attacker or towards the attack (i.e. if its a sword swing coming from the left I should tap light attack and tap the left stick to the left)?

Astral

Classic Metal Gear!

I can't wait to just chill and listen to the codecs while I wreck everything with the Fox Blade. I think I deserve it after S-ranking Revengeance and getting gold in all the VR missions.

Carbonox

Ok so I've 1st ranked every VR Mission bar 17, 18 and 19. Fucking 17 and it's fucking Raptors and FUCK 18 with those cunting Mastiffs who fuck you up from anywhere due to the piece of shit camera.

I think I'm gonna take a break and return tomorrow.

The ONLY trophies I have left are:

1. S Rank Revengeance
2. 1st all VR Missions
3. Customize everything (in order to get this I need to do the VR trophy to unlock the final weapon)

Sigh.

Ok so I've 1st ranked every VR Mission bar 17, 18 and 19. Fucking 17 and it's fucking Raptors and FUCK 18 with those cunting Mastiffs who fuck you up from anywhere due to the piece of shit camera.

I think I'm gonna take a break and return tomorrow.

The ONLY trophies I have left are:

1. S Rank Revengeance
2. 1st all VR Missions
3. Customize everything (in order to get this I need to do the VR trophy to unlock the final weapon)

Sigh.

A few tips for VR missions

17 - Quickfire your stinger at the raptors until you get down to one enemy. Raptors can be damaged when they are flashing red. Aim your first two shots at the dwarf gekkos. Then take down the regular gekko. Sharply change direction while ninja running to avoid the Raptor's lunge attack and keep quickfiring when at a safe distance.

18 - You gotta go for perfect parries. When the Mastiffs spawn, position yourself behind them at the center of the wall. At least one of them will run up to you and attempt a dropkick. Parry this and do the quicktime event to kill him. For the other, avoid him with the ninja run and wait for him to dropkick you. After that, perfect parry the Fenrir to kill him and pincer blade the hammer dudes. Don't forget that you can charge the pincer blades on each hit of the three hit combo. On wave 4, switch to the Sai (to let it charge) and kill the dwarves. Then just use the Sai to stunlock the GRAD.

19 - You have plenty of time here. Slowroll it and go for perfect parries. Pincer blades will save your ass on wave 2. Once enemies are weakened, simply get one perfect parry to stun them for a quicktime event.

Roto13

Why isn't there a secret VR mission that's a VR version of the fight with Vamp in MGS4? Hmm? HMM?? It's such an obvious and awesome idea.

Carbonox

Why isn't there a secret VR mission that's a VR version of the fight with Vamp in MGS4? Hmm? HMM?? It's such an obvious and awesome idea.

A secret fight versus Solidus would have been the pinnacle. I'd buy secret boss fights as DLC if they allowed us to fight the likes of Solidus, several Rays, etc.

A secret fight versus Solidus would have been the pinnacle. I'd buy secret boss fights as DLC if they allowed us to fight the likes of Solidus, several Rays, etc.

yes. yes.

They should also have the seven Gekko fight, and include a bonus trench coat Raiden costume for it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
And I think other Metal Gear games are even more in-depth with codec calls. It's insane how much work goes into them.

MGS4 being the unfortunate exception.

Kinda makes me appreciate Rising's in-depth optional codec even more.

Catalix

omg the lobby area is such a piece of shit to srank on revengeance. I had forgotten how much damage RPGs do.

My least favorite part, by far. Those RPGs guys are bullshit.

Abso-fucking-lutely.

yeah

Little details about what they think of Wolf
and how they question him being sentient and even Raiden asking the question if he can be repaired
are little details that I love. Most games would have just made Wolf an
ally :p
just because, but the fact that his nature is fleshed out both in the codec conversations and even Wolf's own actions when you fight him(calling for backup in mid fight in fear of his life) show how much thought the developers actually put into Wolf
being more than AI and why they would repair him in the first place

Info like this in games is common, especially for RPGs but to have it all done in voice recordings instead of some word document makes it seem for lack of a better word more engaging than if I just read it off a document (excluding Metroid Prime; it worked because of the nature of being alone). And that's a conversation about one character from 4 different perspectives(5 if you count Raiden).

Side note... I didnt have a big problem with the main voices during the main story other than Raiden's inconsistent Batman/Snake to Raiden's softer voice.

Seems like they should have let them do the codec recordings first before tackling the main game. Where I'm at in the codec conversations the delivery feels almost natural instead of forced like it is in the main story.

I understand why Raiden needed to be rough sounding... he did get his ass handed to him in the beginning, and all the talk about his past, but still. It's weird hearing him be Batman one minute then good ol Raiden the next. Raiden's natural speaking voice may not be snake but it isnt bad. It's only bad when he has whiny lines of dialogue(MGS2) or tries to sound hardcore(MGR).

Unfortunately the majority of the people playing wont even hear a 3rd of the more natural voice work done in the game

Neiteio

I'd totally be down for DLC boss fights. It'd be great if the Sam and Wolf DLCs have new boss fights. It looks like the Sam DLC will at least have a new Ray confrontation.

metal_gear_rising_revengeance_jetstream_sam_dlc.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

Revven

I'm going to try and finish VR Mission 17 tonight; are there any tips for just plain finishing it? Last time I tried it, I took too much damage in the second half and then when I got to the third section I managed to get a Gekko destroyed by a friendly fire from a Raptor but then I got a caught in lag and killed by one of the raptor's attacks.

What's the best way to do the second half without taking a bullshit amount of damage? And also, what's the best strat for the third half? Just keep running and blind tossing 'nades?

I think...I think this is the end of my s-rank run. :( I got an S-rank on hard on this but you just receive too much damage on Revengeance.

I believe there's only one RPG guy that can actually hit you (the one that spawns high). If you knock him down quickly, you can kill him and everyone else by getting your lock on cursor to stay low on the screen and aiming so your rockets go above the railing.

I'd totally be down for DLC boss fights. It'd be great if the Sam and Wolf DLCs have new boss fights. It looks like the Sam DLC will at least have a new Ray confrontation.

That would be tits.

jett

D-Member
I believe there's only one RPG guy that can actually hit you (the one that spawns high). If you knock him down quickly, you can kill him and everyone else by getting your lock on cursor to stay low on the screen and aim high above the railing.

That would be tits.

The whole thing is just too tedious for me. Alternating between an EM greande and an RPG for the GRAD fight? Good lord no. The sub-weapon system in this game is a video game abortion.

In a sequel, I would prefer it if the VR missions were like the arena matches from God Hand. No time limit requirements, no upgrade restrictions; just 50 sets of advanced enemy configurations and souped-up versions of story mode bosses. Either you beat them, or they wipe the floor with you.

Another thing I appreciated was that the arena matches in God Hand effectively acted as a boss select mode as well. A game like Rising can really benefit from having something like that.

FStop7

Banned
That DSP guy is something else. I watched him die from fall damage in his LP of Dark Souls and he started yelling that it was for no reason. Then he quit the game entirely.

Rising is still pretty awesome. I feel like I'm caught between difficulties, though: Normal is too easy for me and Hard is a little too much. I'm hoping that if I stick with Normal I'll be able to go through again on Hard with fewer problems.

On Normal the fight with Mistral wasn't even a challenge. But on Hard I was having trouble just beating LQ-84i.

Top Bottom