• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Neiteio

You've lost your mind.
Oh, now you're just being nasty!

kekekekekekeke

Damn you both.

Now I feel compelled to replay that chapter.

Again.

For the 300th time.

desario.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll admit I broke out the FOX Blade for a few fights, mostly for Mastiffs (thanks camera). Ripper Mode Murasama and Armor Breaker are almost as good though.

I'd advise going for no damage on bosses anyway since you'll get more trophies.

That RPG tunnel was hell. I always dodged to the side when I saw the laser sight. Takes timing but it'll work everytime. The RPG guys in the first garden fight of R-04 gave me way more trouble, definitely in my top 5 hardest fights in the game to S rank.

Quick tip for a few bosses
No damage isn't enough to S rank Sundowner, Sam, Excelsus, or Armstrong. You'll need to meet other requirements for those. Combo/zandatsu for Sundowner, BP (recommended) for Sam, combo for Excelsus and Armstrong.

Well, I'm not there yet. I'm still on Very Hard so I'm not worrying about S-ranks but I still keep getting touched no matter how well I do in getting out of dodge or blocking. Oy.

RangerBAD

Ah, so it was only 80 hits. I actually did blade mode on him at the very beginning and did a 100+ combo just to be extra sure :lol

Also picked up as many extra nanopastes as possible to boost BP. No way in hell I was doing that shit over again.

Hope it's not 80. I saw a video of someone do short of that on the
Sundowner
fight and still get S.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How did this game turn out? I love character action games, but, for some reason, I've been skeptical of this title.

It doesn't seem like it takes the crown from Bayo, but how does it compare to DMC3/4, Ninja Gaiden Black, God of War?

This game is awesome and you owe it to yourself to play it. It definitely belongs in the family of games that you've listed.

"Like I said before; kids are cruel, Jack.

And I'm very in-touch with my inner child."

That quote + the awesome music = best way to open a fight ever.

"Like I said before; kids are cruel, Jack.

And I'm very in-touch with my inner child."

That quote + the awesome music = best way to open a fight ever.

The beginning with Sundowner's shields expanding and retracting into position looked so fucking badass with the choppers flying around behind him. Going back and forth between that and Monsoon for the best fight intro.

...this game is ridiculous. Just beat the boss with the crazy arms...

I... WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!?

Would you believe me if I said it gets way better?

TheSeks

The beginning with Sundowner's shields expanding and retracting into position looked so fucking badass with the choppers flying around behind him. Going back and forth between that and Monsoon for the best fight intro.

"Must you really fight." Sealed the best fight in the game for me. The whole art-direction for that fight was AMAZING.

I think Sundowner's biggest problem is that you can completely bypass his second phase. That's a real problem... the fact that no vocals kick in makes it less than hype.
I think the concept is super awesome... he's super defensive at first, and then in the second phase he goes nuts with twin blades... unfortunately, a lot of people missed that you can cut off his shields, and it's probably the least efficient way of beating him anyway.

Yup. I totally cheesed him easy.
I found it much easier to hit and run and the sheild cutting was kinda pointless. Put me at more risk for less payoff

"Must you really fight." Sealed the best fight in the game for me. The whole art-direction for that fight was AMAZING.

You know you started walking rather than just rush straight at him the first time. You know.

I love how emotional the story manages to be and how despite being mostly artificial, the main combatants throughout are far from mechanical. There's more to them beyond their augmentations.

BY2K

Membero Americo
You know you started walking rather than just rush straight at him the first time. You know.

I fucking did.

And it was amazing. Because at first he doesn't rush at you either, he just walks.

The whole first 10 seconds of the fight was just both of us walking at each other with the music blasting off.

THIS GAME.

I fucking did.

And it was amazing. Because at first he doesn't rush at you either, he just walks.

The whole first 10 seconds of the fight was just both of us walking at each other with the music blasting off.

THIS GAME.

THERE WILL BE

BLOOD (BLOOD)

SHED (SHED)

THE MAN IN THE MIRROR NODS HIS HEAD

RED PHOSPHORUS, JACK! AR IS USELESS!

I love the way he says the first part of this. So chickenshit. Fucking love it.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
You know what?
FUCK THIS WAR! I JUST WANT YOU DEAD!

Revven

Holy shit you guys were not kidding when you said VR missions 18, 19, and 20 are the most unfun, frustratingly bullshit difficult missions. I must have tried 18 for a whole hour just now; trying to use the Pincer Blades on wave 2 is brutally difficult. And then VR Mission 19 is atrocious. VR Mission 20 at least looks doable (I almost did it the first time but unfortunately I got caught right as the guy at the end turned around when I thought he was going to stand there long enough for me to take out the security camera).

The tries after that first one were not as successful so I said, "Fuck it, it's late, I'll try this shit tomorrow."

What's the best way to use the Pincer Blades on wave 2 without getting grabbed during the cooldown? It blew my mind when I found out the Mastiffs do damage to you even just from grabbing you even when you escape properly! DAFUQ. Is that exclusive to the mission because of the upped damage from the enemies?

What's the best way to use the Pincer Blades on wave 2 without getting grabbed during the cooldown? It blew my mind when I found out the Mastiffs do damage to you even just from grabbing you even when you escape properly! DAFUQ. Is that exclusive to the mission because of the upped damage from the enemies?

Try to kill the Mastiffs by parrying their dropkicks. And you can dodge cancel the pincer blades.

kewlmyc

This game is handing me my ass on normal. I'm still having a blast though. I might replay Monsoon's level a few times so I can get parrying down (it's my major weakness). This game also makes me want to get into Solid. Twin Snakes or the Original? HD Collection or PCSX2 emulation?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This game is handing me my ass on normal. I'm still having a blast though. I might replay Monsoon's level a few times so I can get parrying down (it's my major weakness). This game also makes me want to get into Solid. Twin Snakes or the Original? HD Collection or emulation?

Original. HD Collection.

MickeyPhree

I have the game saved at the final boss at the final check point. I like just playing this part over and over.

Wife caught me playing earlier. "What the fuck is with that music?"

zainetor

Banned
end of mission 5 on very hard: three enraged mastiffs+grad+awful camera....My god I love this game, for real.
Just fix the friggin' camera, platinum pliz :(

TheSeks

I love how emotional the story manages to be and how despite being mostly artificial, the main combatants throughout are far from mechanical. There's more to them beyond their augmentations.

Yep. I backed up slowly waiting for him to rush or for me to have a chance to rush. So awesome. You know that moment with Lucy Lu and Uma Thurman in the snow of Kill Bill Vol. 1? Just like that.

But another good art-style set was the Japanese garden. So out of place but the art-style was amazing. I loved how they rendered the cherry blossoms without being oversaturated like "Sky City Tokyo"/Ninja Gaiden 2's Cherry Blossom scene.

I really wish that one was longer and didn't have RPG's. Would've been an awesome full level to go through.

RangerBAD

Yep. I backed up slowly waiting for him to rush or for me to have a chance to rush. So awesome. You know that moment with Lucy Lu and Uma Thurman in the snow of Kill Bill Vol. 1? Just like that.

But another good art-style set was the Japanese garden. So out of place but the art-style was amazing. I loved how they rendered the cherry blossoms without being oversaturated like "Sky City Tokyo"/Ninja Gaiden 2's Cherry Blossom scene.

I really wish that one was longer and didn't have RPG's. Would've been an awesome full level to go through.

I thought we were going to be in Japan for that.

FStop7

Banned
I don't like stealth in this game. Keep the stealth in the MGS games. I want the Raiden MG games to be about the slicing.

When I'm done with MGR I really need to pick up Vanquish.

Roto13

I don't like stealth in this game. Keep the stealth in the MGS games. I want the Raiden MG games to be about the slicing.

When I'm done with MGR I really need to pick up Vanquish.

Outside of a few VR missions, you never have to be stealthy. So, you know. Whatever.

Well then good news! Stealth is only really required for the one Trophy/Cheesemint. The game heavily encourages killing as many people as possible.

Top Bottom