• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

The whole thing is just too tedious for me. Alternating between an EM greande and an RPG for the GRAD fight? Good lord no.

What price are you willing to pay for a gold trophy?

I wish some of the other encounters were as easy (if not tedious) as the lobby GRAD. You'll love the last cargo lift fight when Mastiffs come pouncing down on your ass from high up in the shaft with no warning.

Revengeance difficulty is fine but S ranking some of these fights is a fucking nightmare.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Watching Two Best Friends play this game is great. They're just so into it

It's really great. Max's is good too, but I wish they'd done a raw first play. I get that people were making fun of them in their first DMC series playthroughs, but they missed some really obvious stuff.

No, when I asked that question I was still in R-03. And I did Sam out of order the other day, I was going for the no damage trophies. :p

Oh I gotcha. Don't get discouraged. That part is probably the most bullshit. Blade moding the GRAD missiles drops nanopaste.

Jintor

The moment when the first tutorial Ray bursts out of the water and they just go "FUCK THAT", so good. My god, these guys have some great chemistry.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I think...I think this is the end of my s-rank run. :( I got an S-rank on hard on this but you just receive too much damage on Revengeance.

You've come so far dude. Don't let the terrorists (Platinum) win :p

I wish some of the other encounters were as easy (if not tedious) as the lobby GRAD. You'll love the last cargo lift fight when Mastiffs come pouncing down on your ass from high up in the shaft with no warning.

Revengeance difficulty is fine but S ranking some of these fights is a fucking nightmare.
I've said Mastiffs are my favorite enemy to fight, but that elevator surprise attack was pretty goddam annoying.

Revven

Max's is good too, but I wish they'd done a raw first play. I get that people were making fun of them in their first DMC series playthroughs, but they missed some really obvious stuff.

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed he didn't do a raw playthrough. The first time reaction to the final boss would have been GOLDEN. Oh well, the playthrough has had its moments though despite the lack of genuine first time reactions. Kind of bothered Max chose not to play on a higher difficulty though... since he did have the Murasama.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to no damage Mistral, but not so sure I'll be able to get the other bosses, maybe Sundowner. The checkpoint thing really helped. Tried Sam a while ago but it looked a lot harder and the scissors weren't doing the insane amounts of damage they were doing on Mistral.

That DSP guy is something else. I watched him die from fall damage in his LP of Dark Souls and he started yelling that it was for no reason. Then he quit the game entirely.

Rising is still pretty awesome. I feel like I'm caught between difficulties, though: Normal is too easy for me and Hard is a little too much. I'm hoping that if I stick with Normal I'll be able to go through again on Hard with fewer problems.

On Normal the fight with Mistral wasn't even a challenge. But on Hard I was having trouble just beating LQ-84i.

Hard mode on my first playthrough was a thin line between satisfaction and frustration.
It all depends what you want out of the game your first time through.
Enjoyment out of the game or enjoying the challenge.

Not gonna lie though. I restarted from checkpoint if I lost too many nano repair units

I am Virtually a God. Time to chill and listen to some codecs.

grab some popcorn and maybe a pillow

they will start to repeat what they say once you've heard everything loaded up to that point.
Going to the next section and encountering enemies will obviously have more conversations ready for you to listen to.

Enjoy

Carbonox

Thought I'd take a break from the VR Missions by starting my S rank Revengeance run. Ray halted that 'break' pretty quickly. If you take a hit, you die, and have to restart the level over. Fuck that. I'll do my run when I'm not in a foul mood from the VR Missions.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I haven't even started the VR missions yet since I'm sure ranking 1st in them is going to be bullshit. I'm slowly going through Very Hard, which hasn't been too bad outside of those stupid fucking RPG's that you can blade-mode hit but they take too much time to hit to get close to the fuckers. :(

I dunno how I'm going to S-rank Revengence if it requires speed. Oy.

Okay this is what's confusing me. Is it towards the attacker or towards the attack (i.e. if its a sword swing coming from the left I should tap light attack and tap the left stick to the left)?

Toward the enemy. If an enemy swings to his right, just parry toward the enemy. If you try to parry anywhere else, you'll just swing your sword. It's gotta be toward the enemy's direction.

Hypron

The cargo lift is not that bad. You don't need to no damage it to get an S rank. Cut the hammer guy's arms off and leave him be, he'll disappear after a while and you will get a no kill bonus which should be enough to get an S.

I got an S during my very hard mode playthrough that way, and I wasn't even trying.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Wish there was a theater mode for the codecs. Feels like a hassle interrupting the normal run every two steps to hear all the dialog, but I would listen to them in the background in one go if I could.

The cargo lift is not that bad. You don't need to no damage it to get an S rank. Cut the hammer guy's arms off and leave him be, he'll disappear after a while and you will get a no kill bonus which should be enough to get an S.

Wish I knew that. The only fights I didn't get no damage on in Revengeance were the
lobby and body double fights

Carbonox

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried a fully upgraded Wooden Sword on their S Rank Revengeance run? I tested the sword on a Hard mode run to much hilarity.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I stopped doing VR missions because I felt like it was starting to make me hate the game.

I'm scared to go back, but I know I must.

Wish I knew that. The only fights I didn't get no damage on in Revengeance were the
lobby and body double fights

lol, me too! Same exact ones.

Carbonox

I stopped doing VR missions because I felt like it was starting to make me hate the game.

I'm in the exact same boat. :lol I'll return to them tomorrow. I WILL FUCKING FINISH THEM. Then all that leaves is the S Rank Revengeance achievement. Epic prepping will be required for that - mentally anyway.

RangerBAD

lol, me too! Same exact ones.

I got the combo needed for S rank on the body doubles, but I took way too long. :/ Are the S rank requirements for boss fights the same in Revengeance?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Infinite Ripper Mode?

And Fox blade, but that's not really a guarantee for bosses since you have to have a 60 hit combo (and if you get hit that resets, I think) or no damage. In addition to doing some fights where you have to avoid dying and get through the fights quickly while dodging RPGs being thrown at you (sup R-02 sewers fight before George on Very Hard?)

And Fox blade, but that's not really a guarantee for bosses since you have to have a 60 hit combo (and if you get hit that resets, I think) or no damage. In addition to doing some fights where you have to avoid dying and get through the fights quickly while dodging RPGs being thrown at you (sup R-02 sewers fight before George on Very Hard?)

I'll admit I broke out the FOX Blade for a few fights, mostly for Mastiffs (thanks camera). Ripper Mode Murasama and Armor Breaker are almost as good though.

I'd advise going for no damage on bosses anyway since you'll get more trophies.

That RPG tunnel was hell. I always dodged to the side when I saw the laser sight. Takes timing but it'll work everytime. The RPG guys in the first garden fight of R-04 gave me way more trouble, definitely in my top 5 hardest fights in the game to S rank.

Quick tip for a few bosses
No damage isn't enough to S rank Sundowner, Sam, Excelsus, or Armstrong. You'll need to meet other requirements for those. Combo/zandatsu for Sundowner, BP (recommended) for Sam, combo for Excelsus and Armstrong.

jett

D-Member

Ripper mode + Pole Arm = that part lasts about 5 seconds. :p

Just beat Sundowner, easily the weakest boss so far. That Slider riding sequence was atrocious, really killed the pace of the battle and it was just not fun thanks to the games awful camera. All previous bosses were excellent with a constantly high tempo, this one felt the worst paced. It was great when He went all berserker and there were some great parry battle opportunities, but you can lock him into combos so easily it doesn't last long...

Thinking back now, R-04 is by far my least favourite chapter in the entire game thus far. They've been fantastic and this just killed the momentum of the game for me so far. The Japanese garden set was a brief positive moment for the chapter, but it was miniscule compared to the rest - the reprise of Monsoon and Mistral was also excellent. I hope the next chapter is better.

Just beat Sundowner, easily the weakest boss so far. That Slider riding sequence was atrocious, really killed the pace of the battle and it was just not fun thanks to the games awful camera. All previous bosses were excellent with a constantly high tempo, this one felt the worst paced. It was great when He went all berserker and there were some great parry battle opportunities, but you can lock him into combos so well it doesn't last long...

Personally I think Sundowner needed at least 150% health. He was way too paper thin, and I'd argue that Monsoon's magnetic form was more effective at defense than Sundowner's shields (barring EM grenades).

For the slider sequence, you can press any of the attack buttons to shoot missiles and destroy oncoming obstacles.

Sundowner just dies too quickly. If you don't care about rankings the pincer blades destroy him in seconds, and you end up skipping his second form. I guess this doesn't apply for the first time you fight him :p, but still, very weak.

I saw a bunch of pre-release streams and videos of people killing Sundowner without destroying his shields. That shouldn't even be possible. If nothing else it'll give players a harder time against the final boss since they won't have any experience using both sticks to cut.

jett

D-Member
Sundowner just dies too quickly. If you don't care about rankings the pincer blades destroy him in seconds, and you end up skipping his second form. I guess this doesn't apply for the first time you fight him :p, but still, very weak.

RangerBAD

Quick tip for a few bosses
No damage isn't enough to S rank Sundowner, Sam, Excelsus, or Armstrong. You'll need to meet other requirements for those. Combo/zandatsu for Sundowner, BP (recommended) for Sam, combo for Excelsus and Armstrong.

Are you sure about
Excelsus? Pretty sure no damage is fine, unless it changes in Revengeance. And how do you get enough BP for Sam?

Personally I think Sundowner needed at least 150% health. He was way too paper thin, and I'd argue that Monsoon's magnetic form was more effective at defense than Sundowner's shields (barring EM grenades).

For the slider sequence, you can press any of the attack buttons to shoot missiles and destroy oncoming obstacles.

Yeah I would have been happy if he had refilled his health when he went Berserker or something. My absolute favourite thing about the game is sword battles with lots of parry opportunities - it's so satisfying to control, and this had a great little snippet of it but it was gone way too quickly.

Had no idea about the attacking during the Slider sequence haha. I just played it based on previous similar segments where you had to just avoid... I imagine that would have made it infinitely more bearable...

Catalix

I got the combo needed for S rank on the body doubles, but I took way too long. :/ Are the S rank requirements for boss fights the same in Revengeance?
That's a good question. I never really knew what the exact requirements for the missions were. I just sorta winged it and held my breath until the results screen came up.

It would've helped to know why I got an A rank for the
Sam
and
Armstrong
battles the first time I attempted them -_-

The Lamp

So I pretty much didn't indulge in much media before the release. Well I played the demo and watched a gameplay trailer once, but I don't know much else than that. Just kind of picked it up because I like the MGS series and I hear Platinum makes great action games.

Just started playing.

First 5 minutes:
holy shit this is the most badass combat system
5 minutes later, first boss fight:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

WHERE HAS THIS GAME BEEN ALL MY LIFE

OH MY GOSH

0XW2pX4.jpg

Are you sure about
Excelsus? Pretty sure no damage is fine, unless it changes in Revengeance. And how do you get enough BP for Sam?

I beat Excelsus with no damage and only got an A rank. When his head falls down at 60%, go into blade mode and get an 80 hit combo.

For Sam, there are crates in the arena with nanopaste in them. If you're already full up on nanopaste, any more you collect will be converted to BP. Go into the fight with five, then pick up two more for BP. Beat him with no damage and the BP from the nanopastes will give you enough points for an S rank.

Catalix,
When Armstrong falls over after breaking his healing orb, go into blade mode and get an 80 hit combo
. Then no damage should get you the S rank.

entremet

How did this game turn out? I love character action games, but, for some reason, I've been skeptical of this title.

It doesn't seem like it takes the crown from Bayo, but how does it compare to DMC3/4, Ninja Gaiden Black, God of War?

Roto13

So I pretty much didn't indulge in much media before the release. Well I played the demo and watched a gameplay trailer once, but I don't know much else than that. Just kind of picked it up because I like the MGS series and I hear Platinum makes great action games.

Just started playing.

First 5 minutes:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

OH MY GOSH

0XW2pX4.jpg

And that's as crappy WHite Raiden.

How did this game turn out? I love character action games, but, for some reason, I've been skeptical of this title.

It doesn't seem like it takes the crown from Bayo, but how does it compare to DMC3/4, Ninja Gaiden Black, God of War?

I don't play enough action games to compare it to others (just God of War really) but Rising is arguably the most badass video game of all time.

What's the trigger for
armstrong to go his next phase during the fist fight section?time or damage?

Time, damage dealt to him, or damage dealt to you.

RangerBAD

I beat Excelsus with no damage and only got an A rank. When his head falls down at 60%, go into blade mode and get an 80 hit combo.

For Sam, there are crates in the arena with nanopaste in them. If you're already full up on nanopaste, any more you collect will be converted to BP. Go into the fight with five, then pick up two more for BP. Beat him with no damage and the BP from the nanopastes will give you enough points for an S rank.

Catalix,
When Armstrong falls over after breaking his healing orb, go into blade mode and get an 80 hit combo

That's going to be tough without using an Infinite Wig. But is 80 the requirement, or is it still 50?

Neiteio

I think I'm comfortable saying this is my favorite game for PS3. And I own a lot of games for PS3.

Should be on PC and WiiU, as well. A game this good, not being on all systems... That should be considered a human rights violation or some shit.

Bring it to PC and WiiU, with the Sam and Wolf DLC, the 30 VR missions DLC, the Snake and FOX blades DLC, and the five DLC costumes, all on disk. Call it the "Uncut Edition." And for the WiiU version, with Nintendo involvement like Razor's Edge, include a Bayo2 demo.

Konami, Platinum, Nintendo:

tumblr_lka9rhi8aT1qadbq2o1_400.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think Sundowner's biggest problem is that you can completely bypass his second phase. That's a real problem... the fact that no vocals kick in makes it less than hype.
I think the concept is super awesome... he's super defensive at first, and then in the second phase he goes nuts with twin blades... unfortunately, a lot of people missed that you can cut off his shields, and it's probably the least efficient way of beating him anyway.

That's going to be tough without using an Infinite Wig. But is 80 the requirement, or is it still 50?

I watched a Youtube video of some guy getting the S rank and he went to 80. So probably that. The damage built up from blade moding him is helpful anyway.

I think Sundowner's biggest problem is that you can completely bypass his second phase. That's a real problem... the fact that no vocals kick in makes it less than hype.
I think the concept is super awesome... he's super defensive at first, and then in the second phase he goes nuts with twin blades... unfortunately, a lot of people missed that you can cut off his shields, and it's probably the least efficient way of beating him anyway.

He should have been unbeatable without breaking his shields. If anything, it screws players for the final boss since they won't know how to use both sticks in blade mode.

Damn fun game with great use of great music, a fun cast of characters, amazing one liners, incredible cheese, good replay value, and a a few blemishes with the camera being the stand out issue.

If you like action games, buy it. If you like fun games, buy it. If you're a human that breathes, buy it.

Just started playing.

First 5 minutes:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT

OH MY GOSH

http://i.imgur.com/0XW2pX4.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

I just let a friend start a new game tonight and this was pretty much her reaction. "Bad ass" was term being used most often. Possibly my game of the generation, Platinum delivered my dream Metal Gear action game.

RangerBAD

I watched a Youtube video of some guy getting the S rank and he went to 80. So probably that. The damage built up from blade moding him is helpful anyway.

Once you hit the combo needed, you'll get the full bonus no matter what, so he could have surpassed it. Doesn't affect the max score in that category.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I honestly slightly prefer it over all those games, although I never finished God of War. Never played a Metal Gear game before this. The combat system is not as deep as in some of these games, but it's super fun.

Catalix

Catalix,
Ah, so it was only 80 hits. I actually did blade mode on him at the very beginning and did a 100+ combo just to be extra sure :lol

Also picked up as many extra nanopastes as possible to boost BP. No way in hell I was doing that shit over again.

Damn fun game with great use of great music, a fun cast of characters, amazing one liners, incredible cheese, good replay value, and a a few blemishes with the camera being the stand out issue.

If you like action games, buy it. If you like fun games, buy it. If you're a human that breathes, buy it.
What if I'm a cyborg that recently had my arm chopped off because I brought a tool to a swordfight? I'm asking for a friend of mine...for reasons.

...*cough*

Top Bottom