• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

It's pretty amazing just how much Platinum got right with this game. However there are a few things I'm hoping for in a sequel:

- Better camera. Zoom it out a little when more enemies are in the environment, and let it phase through walls.
- Real-time sub weapon switching
- DON'T GET RID OF STEALTH. Tactical options are a good thing. Just slightly refine the system. Specifically, better conveyance of the enemy's line of sight.
- Less clunky item controls. Let it compliment the high speed main sword combat, not outright stifle it. (maybe even incorporate stuff like grenades and RPGs into Raiden's combos)

Relatively minor tweaks, but I think it could help a lot.
I like the lack of real-time sub weapon switching, I mean I also like that they replace heavy attack spots on your main weapon because there's a tradeoff to using them. I like the idea of specialization in games so I rocked the HF blade 99% of the time and felt like the game was fine with me doing that, because there were no upgrades in using the sub weaponry, merely alternate playstyles.

Also you can sort of use RPGs during combos, tapping L2 will fire off immediately instead of going into an aim mode.

Camera definitely needed some more work though.

Monocle

Hey guys, is there a video of Courtney teasing Raiden about his "amazing body"? I heard it once near the Ferris wheel section of R-01. Best codec conversation in the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally got around to unlocking the Fox Blade, then unlocking its Fox enhancement.

yeeeaaaaaah

luka

Loves Robotech S1
are you able to ninja run/ninja hop through horizontal dual blade swing the final boss' fist phase uses? I remember doing it, but I might be remembering things wrong.

When fighting Excelsus just use defensive offense through every one of it's attacks. It's ridiculously easy to avoid all damage.

Just completely failed to hit the last QTE on Monsoon on revengeance S-rank run. Don't even know how that happened. Pressed the buttons but I guess I didn't hit them quick enough

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Monsoon is my least favourite fight in the game. I can see why people would like it, as it puts such huge value on perfect parrying, but it's the only battle I've felt legitimately frustrated with every time I play, like I have to cheese it to win. I wouldn't mind how fast he is if he didn't so easily get me caught in stunlocks. And all his special moves are so bland. Like
every time he uses smoke. It's not hard to counter each attack, and it's boring.

Monsoon is my least favourite fight in the game. I can see why people would like it, as it puts such huge value on perfect parrying, but it's the only battle I've felt legitimately frustrated with every time I play, like I have to cheese it to win. I wouldn't mind how fast he is if he didn't so easily get me caught in stunlocks. And all his special moves are so bland. Like
every time he uses smoke. It's not hard to counter each attack, and it's boring.
Going through the no damage runs it's surprising how passive he is when you play enough to analyze his entire moveset and tells. I agree that he ends up being my least favourite battle in the game, but mostly because of how soured I was with repeatedly going through the time wasting Magneto tosses. Same with the smoke attack, ugh, just wasting time parrying him from every direction a half dozen times.

Getting 13 sword parries in row against two swordsmen feels better than anything in the past year, gaming-wise. Just thinking about it makes me want to play the game some more.

Whoever thought to have blocking/parrying be an extension of the normal attack is genius. Prevents being able to just turtle, makes defense more engaging and is more satisfying to achieve a parry. Monsoon's attack-strings would be boring if all you had to do was hold "block." But you gotta block just as fast. So good

Just got to the last boss, Holy shit this is gonna be tough. On,y playing on normal, the game hasn't been too challenging until now. Seriously I just thought all these end boss worries were because of hard of very hard modes but even normal is tough.

Otherwise an amazing game I plan on replaying over and over.

jett

D-Member

You can skip the smoke phase if you damage him enough with Pincer Blades at the beginning of the fight. Also, during the smoke phase you dodge instead of parrying for added hits, and slightly added challenge. :p

KILLER BEE

Mistral's theme is so fucking boss. Jesus christ

I got really mad when I parried a gekko toss on the pipe, and hit her with that absurd Revengeance parry damage. We jumped down and I was pumped up to hear the song but she immediately went into the final QTE :(

Got the S atleast, I was worried I didn't combo her enough.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Overall, I really liked it. The moment-to-moment act of playing the game was super tight.

That said, I never felt like I had a grasp over my actual move-set, which may be a failing on my part.

C0unter

Posted?

aI9UaQc.jpg

Haha this is great,funny enough cutting vending machines always drops electrolyte packs.

Murasama at least lets you play the game. Fox blade is a cheat weapon.

I feel like the fully-upgraded Murasama isn't too far off. The game doesn't penalize you for using it, but I think the Murasama is closer to unlockable Metal Gear weapons ("cheat weapons" like the Patriot or EZ Gun) than it is to unlockable Platinum bonus stuff (like the post-game weapons in Bayonetta).

zainetor

Banned
the muramasa it's not broken. It's just like the regular sword, but a little faster. If you dont use ripper mode, it tooks a lot of hits to damage enemy armors, on higher difficulties.
armor breaker on the other hand, is quite broken.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Murasama at least lets you play the game. Fox blade is a cheat weapon.

It kind of feels that MS is a cheat weapon too honestly. Unless you're going for S-ranks and no damage, this is one game where I really feel it's a lot more fun the more underpowered you are.

EatChildren

The Murasama isn't comparable to the Fox Blade as a cheat weapon. The Murasama fully upgraded still requires you play the game. Fox Blade fully upgraded is like having permanent Jack the Ripper mode. It instant kills any armoured foot soldier and takes down GRADS in less than a second. It only returns to normality during boss fights where the armour piercing bonus is negated. Otherwise you can simply hold down ninja run and spam light attack to kill every single enemy type in a second or two.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
TBH I haven't even used the fox blade code that came with my game yet and probably never will. It actually sounds like a total waste of my time trivializing the game like that. Maybe I should just give it away. :)

EatChildren

TBH I haven't even used the fox blade code that came with my game yet and probably never will. It actually sounds like a total waste of my time trivializing the game like that. Maybe I should just give it away. :)

It is. Well, I mean, it's a fun gimmick, but it's not how the game should be played at all. The unlock is quite expensive. 200,000 to unlock the blade. Then you'll need to spend another 100,000 to unlock the Fox upgrade. Without the latter it's nothing special (upgraded Murasama trumps it), but once you've got the Fox upgrade you're totally unstoppable against all regular enemies. I haven't tested it on Revengeance, but on Very Hard it instantly cuts through almost (if not) all non-boss enemies.

It's visually satisfying, but ironically dull to use such a immeasurably sharp sword. Throws parrying out the window, unless you're boss fighting.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I had more of a problem with the Fox Blade existing before I found out about the Infinite Energy Wig and the Blade Mode Wig. Both of those can be used in order to get pretty much the same end effect.

EatChildren

I had more of a problem with the Fox Blade existing before I found out about the Infinite Energy Wig and the Blade Mode Wig. Both of those can be used in order to get pretty much the same end effect.

This is true.

duckroll

The Murasama isn't a cheat weapon. It's a reward for finishing the game the first time, and an incentive for players to make future playthroughs on harder difficulties easier. The Fox Blade is a 200,000 BP Cheat weapon which rewards scrubs for pre-ordering the game. Lol.

Real men just buy the Cyborg Ninja costume and leave the Fox Blade behind at checkout. :)

Jintor

Anyone know where I can get hold of a lyrics sheet for the songs? I found one, but it only has about half the vocal tracks...

Also where can I buy this OST oh my gawd

EatChildren

Real men main sombrero / poncho + wood sword.

It really seems like Fox Blade is just meant to be a joke. I think it goes back to the original MGSR's mechanics where Raiden's sword would slice through enemies even if he wasn't in Blade Mode. It just shows how broken the mechanics were in KojiPro's version.

duckroll

It really seems like Fox Blade is just meant to be a joke. I think it goes back to the original MGSR's mechanics where Raiden's sword would slice through enemies even if he wasn't in Blade Mode. It just shows how broken the mechanics were in KojiPro's version.

I think that was probably the least of the problems in the development of the original Rising. :p

What I do find interesting about what Platinum Games has done is that they really took a lot of time and effort to recreate the expectations of fans based on what KojiPro had promised. Playing through Rising, it became very apparent to me that the team at Platinum studied the aspects of Raiden in MGS4, as well as all the promotional material for MGS Rising (the first trailer with real footage, the watermelon demo, etc), and created a game which played in a way where fans who have followed all that and built expectations based on would still be very pleased.

Raiden's moves in Rising are designed very closely to his movements in the MGS4 cutscenes, and several of the QTE actions are based on scenes from MGS4 too. The cutscene in the MGS Rising gameplay trailer was basically recreated in the sewer scenes in Chapter 2, the slow-mo cutting and the watermelon demo turned into Blade Mode, and even the short scene of Raiden cutting up the pillars to drop the entire ceiling on the enemies was applied to the design of a scene in Chapter 3.

The effort put into being faithful to the promise KojiPro failed to deliver with the original game is something I think Metal Gear fans should really respect Platinum for. It truly is above and beyond the call of duty for a 18 month dev cycle. Crazy stuff.

The effort put into being faithful to the promise KojiPro failed to deliver with the original game is something I think Metal Gear fans should really respect Platinum for. It truly is above and beyond the call of duty for a 18 month dev cycle. Crazy stuff.
One of the original pulls for me with the KojiPro reveal of MGR was the "cut anything" concept, since I love novelties like that. I was actually curious how they could pull off a game where you just slice and dice everything, and it turns out they couldn't. I was worried at first that Platinum wouldn't deliver on the details of cutting quite like the original version displayed, but having it work always on environmental props and as finishers for enemies (with Zandatsu encouragement) was a nice balance towards a game that otherwise doesn't seem like it would work in design.

And yeah, one thing that stood out was that they captured the absurdity of MGS4 Raiden's cutscene prowess and put it in a way that players could manipulate. That much didn't seem as true in KojiPro's trailers.

dan2026

Controversial opinion time.

I think they should have taken out the slicing up enemies mechanic.

But you'll say 'wait! isn't that the crux of the whole game'?

Maybe, but I fell it slows the gameplay more than anything.
An also their engine clearly can't handle it, as the massive framerate drops attest.

Game wouldn't have been nearly as satisfying without it. Love choppin' dudes up, especially when I'm goofing off with the cheat items. It's like Soldier of Fortune without the gore, just not as good.

zainetor

Banned

An also their engine clearly can't handle it, as the massive framerate drops attest.

good news: you can avoid cutting enemies.

So i found this code in the back of the case and i got gray fox and fox blade. So i thought wow cool fox blade. Lets see what everyone is talkin about. 200,000 bucks for it? fuck how am i going to get that much cash?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Nope. Theres too much awesome shit based around blade mode, with hidden passages, cutting off special glowy arms and perfecting that, boss fight interludes with specific cut points, and for the No Kill Run, chopping limbs and leaving torso's to stealth camo out. Its the whole other layer to this action game that elevates it beyond its typical Platinum roots and makes for something fresh.

Whats going to be really exciting is a sequel with next gen cpu's and ram to back up these innovative mechanics.

NotLiquid

I remember one of the many complaints about Platinum's reboot was that in the original your sword would cut anything and now because it got expanded and had a big combat system built around the sword mechanics it had just become a "generic hack and slash" since enemies didn't die in one hit.

Well if that's what you wanted here's your blade to do that. I can see where Kojima was coming from when criticizing the old tech demo. In comparison to everything Platinum managed to add to the game including what they preserved from the original, especially the blade mode which is fully intact, the old tech demo looks slow and lifeless in comparison. There's really nothing in that footage which Platinum hasn't managed to do but better.

Top Bottom