• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The stealth would've been fine if the levels were built with it in mind. It's the same for the hostages, a nice idea but the levels don't really mesh with it to where you have to throw rockets at people and avoid damaging the hostage to "save" them from bullets because the AI will aggro on you instead of shooting them for you trying to sneak up on them.

Same with stealth, you can plan your attack and take enemies out slowly if you want but sometimes (like that one bit in R-01 "I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE MASTER OF STEALTH INSERTION, RAIDEN?") the levels just don't want you to do that.

I don't see why having the choice to go balls out action or take it slow and stealthy is an issue with some people. I mean it's a "Metal Gear" title, having the option to ghost (even if that ghosting option is taking people out like Ninja Raiden people are doing) isn't harming the game anymore than the other balls-out action is.

BY2K

Membero Americo
The sheer number of OH SHIT in the Two Best Friends video pretty much tells how freaking awesome this game is.

"THEY FINALLY DID IT. THEY MADE GUNS THAT SHOOTS SWORDS!"
"MANIACS!"

Raxus

I don't like stealth in this game. Keep the stealth in the MGS games. I want the Raiden MG games to be about the slicing.

When I'm done with MGR I really need to pick up Vanquish.

It is a nice change of pace and it is great on harder difficulties. My only problem is they put stealth segments in parts that should actually be fights and you may skip a ranked fight without knowing it. The last level is a breeze with stealth (sans the boss of course)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I have the game saved at the final boss at the final check point. I like just playing this part over and over.

Wife caught me playing earlier. "What the fuck is with that music?"

My housemate hates the soundtrack, and went as far as to disbelieve me when I said this was the original soundtrack in response to his assumption that the Japanese OST was different. But he's a music prude.

the garden was great. i stealthed it smoothly, felt very rewarding.

It's actually more ninja than Ninja Gaiden then.

I noticed that on Hard, there was a soldier inside the pagoda just after the first garden area. You can
see him aiming at the door with an RPG if you use AR, then run around the building and zandatsu him through the sliding doors.

In Very Hard, that soldier is a sword-wielding one, and he's
kneeling on the ground, waiting, with no RPG in hand. I went through the front door this time, expecting an honorable duel, but he just immediately shot me with an RPG anyway :(

I have the game saved at the final boss at the final check point. I like just playing this part over and over.

Wife caught me playing earlier. "What the fuck is with that music?"

My housemate hates the soundtrack, and went as far as to disbelieve me when I said this was the original soundtrack in response to his assumption that the Japanese OST was different. But he's a music prude.

There are 2 kinds of people that don't like this music in this game

1. People with bad taste.

2. People with horrible taste.

That's it. Those are the people.

Roto13

Posted?

aI9UaQc.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
end of mission 5 on very hard: three enraged mastiffs+grad+awful camera....My god I love this game, for real.
Just fix the friggin' camera, platinum pliz :(
It's pretty amazing just how much Platinum got right with this game. However there are a few things I'm hoping for in a sequel:

- Better camera. Zoom it out a little when more enemies are in the environment, and let it phase through walls.
- Real-time sub weapon switching
- DON'T GET RID OF STEALTH. Tactical options are a good thing. Just slightly refine the system. Specifically, better conveyance of the enemy's line of sight.
- Less clunky item controls. Let it compliment the high speed main sword combat, not outright stifle it. (maybe even incorporate stuff like grenades and RPGs into Raiden's combos)

Relatively minor tweaks, but I think it could help a lot.

ZeroRay

Final boss is giving me a hard time. Hope I can beat him after I go to sleep. Any tips would be welcome.

I know dodge is important as hell, right now I'm mainly frustrated by his ground attacks. Might just be me lacking focus and spamming dodge without timing.

Also, the cutting part is harsh. Aiming it would have been easier if the blade line was better highlighted; to me it's practically invisible.

Posted?

http://i.imgur.com/aI9UaQc.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

^Nice

FStop7

Banned
end of mission 5 on very hard: three enraged mastiffs+grad+awful camera....My god I love this game, for real.
Just fix the friggin' camera, platinum pliz :(

Most of my camera frustrations were solved by constantly reminding myself to lock a target until it became second nature.

I also switched to controller layout B and inverted the horizontal camera. And I never, ever normally invert controls. But it made a big difference in Revengeance.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Final boss is giving me a hard time. Hope I can beat him after I go to sleep. Any tips would be welcome.

I know dodge is important as hell, right now I'm mainly frustrated by his ground attacks. Might just be me lacking focus and spamming dodge without timing.

Also, the cutting part is harsh. Aiming it would have been easier if the blade line was better highlighted; to me it's practically invisible.

I found aggression to be the key, especially a lot of heavy attacks. A good chain of attacks can sometimes break his charge up fire attack. But you also need to be clued in on what wont break, and be prepared to dodge. Getting that timing down is important, as you can exploit the invincibility frames to avoid his area flame attacks and continuing the combo. His charge grapple is annoying as fuck, both of them, but again best countered by dodge or dodge spamming.

As for the cutting, don't be too anal about hitting all four marks. You can slice through three and still trigger the cut. You'll cut three blocks, then Armstrong will lunch and you can zandatsu his face. This triggers a cinematic which buries Armstrong in rubble, and when he breaks free he litters the arena with nano repairs.

ZeroRay

I found aggression to be the key, especially a lot of heavy attacks. A good chain of attacks can sometimes break his charge up fire attack. But you also need to be clued in on what wont break, and be prepared to dodge. Getting that timing down is important, as you can exploit the invincibility frames to avoid his area flame attacks and continuing the combo. His charge grapple is annoying as fuck, both of them, but again best countered by dodge or dodge spamming.

As for the cutting, don't be too anal about hitting all four marks. You can slice through three and still trigger the cut. You'll cut three blocks, then Armstrong will lunch and you can zandatsu his face. This triggers a cinematic which buries Armstrong in rubble, and when he breaks free he litters the arena with nano repairs.

Thanks for the tips. Some bosses that give you a difficulty spike in action games can be attributed to being cheap, this one feels like you just have to play better relative to the rest of the game.

I hear you can forgo the cutting part entirely just by running straight. Might just do that if I can figure out his patterns well enough and I still suck using the blade mode. I have 3 nanopastes so go me.

Just finished, last boss was pretty great. The manual cutting part was a bit of a pain though because I hardly used it throughout the whole game because using the face buttons was just as effective and much quicker. Had to quickly get used to using the sticks with Sundowner and the last boss.

The sword combat is easily the best I've seen in a game, so I hope Platinum get on a sequel. Just fix the freaking shitty camera and I'll be happy. In larger fights it should zoom out slightly and angle a little more overhead to give you a better view of everything. Then pull in for the smaller duels. Also no more of that bullshit where the camera will suddenly pull in a different direction or behind you completely. This happened waaay too many times and fucked up a good deal of parries.

Overall, really enjoyable game - has some flaws but mostly outweighed by the incredibly fun combat and parry system and a soundtrack that is best described as simply 'bad ass' in it's implementation in game.

Funny to think, when I first played this at Eurogamer Expo last year I hated it and actually walked away from the demo...

I don't know if I did something wrong, but I got to the end of VR Mission 19 killing every enemy correctly and the mission didn't end neither did more enemies spawn. Also, the walls didn't go away.

I think it was a glitch.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
There are 2 kinds of people that don't like this music in this game

1. People with bad taste.

2. People with horrible taste.

That's it. Those are the people.

ace combat quotes make me almost as happy as this game's amazing music. thank you sir.

Astral

Even if you don't like the kind of music in the game, you can't deny that it's really memorable. Except Sundowner's theme. Chances are you didn't hear it.

Yea, music is fun for this game. The final boss music reminded me of Power Rangers tho

the music kicking in in mid boss fight made me feel like I was taking on puddies

Thanks for the tips. Some bosses that give you a difficulty spike in action games can be attributed to being cheap, this one feels like you just have to play better relative to the rest of the game.

I hear you can forgo the cutting part entirely just by running straight. Might just do that if I can figure out his patterns well enough and I still suck using the blade mode. I have 3 nanopastes so go me.

in the slashing segment the first cut can be aligned simply by tilting the right stick, but the second and third strikes need to be adjusted by moving the camera (left stick) first before moving the right stick to adjust the cutting angle

Kusagari

God the No Damage achievement for
Armstrong
is pissing me off.

I can do the final part and the first part with no problem but I always get hit on the second part right before the checkpoint hits in which means you have to do the entire fucking chapter over.

God the No Damage achievement for
Armstrong
is pissing me off.

I can do the final part and the first part with no problem but I always get hit on the second part right before the checkpoint hits in which means you have to do the entire fucking chapter over.

Backup your save...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beat the game.

Took me around 9.5 hours to do so on Hard. The game got SUPER awesome close to the end.
Slicing up the Metal Gear was fucking awesome
. All the boss fights are unique, have fucking amazing music, and get progressively crazy. I love this game.

Monsoon
was probably my favourite boss fight. Just the ridiculous dialogue alongside the emphasis on parrying was awesome. That was also the only boss fight where I felt frustration, but even still, it was like eufrustration. Once you learn patience and the ebb and flow of every boss, it's really satisfying.

Pre-release, I was afraid zandatsu would get too repetitive, or break the flow too much, but it actually serves as a fantastic breather or moment for you to think, and doesn't really get old.

What's the most efficient way to go back and get missed VR missions/hands/cardboard boxes etc.? Can I just do Chapter Select on easy? Is there a way to cut to specific encounters/checkpoints? Do any of those have to be done in the same playthrough or no?

What's the most efficient way to go back and get missed VR missions/hands/cardboard boxes etc.? Can I just do Chapter Select on easy? Is there a way to cut to specific encounters/checkpoints? Do any of those have to be done in the same playthrough or no?

Humanoid Gekkos and hostages have to be done in one consecutive run but you can start from R-01. Everything else can be done out of order, but collected items won't be counted until you finish any chapter after finding them. No checkpoint select unfortunately (would be AWESOME for refighting bosses *nudges JP*) but the game is short so you can blast through on Easy if you want to grab stuff. You'll need the BP anyway.

If you want to look up the location of specific collectables, use the collection screen in the main menu to see exactly what you're missing.

are you able to ninja run/ninja hop through horizontal dual blade swing the final boss' fist phase uses? I remember doing it, but I might be remembering things wrong.

It's pretty amazing just how much Platinum got right with this game. However there are a few things I'm hoping for in a sequel:

- Better camera. Zoom it out a little when more enemies are in the environment, and let it phase through walls.
- Real-time sub weapon switching
- DON'T GET RID OF STEALTH. Tactical options are a good thing. Just slightly refine the system. Specifically, better conveyance of the enemy's line of sight.
- Less clunky item controls. Let it compliment the high speed main sword combat, not outright stifle it. (maybe even incorporate stuff like grenades and RPGs into Raiden's combos)

Relatively minor tweaks, but I think it could help a lot.

That sounds about right, particularly the stealth part. Even though there's plenty of room for improvement, I appreciated the more fast-paced approach to stealth that what most games go for. It's worth going for stealth kills in harder difficulties too.

They need to implement the wall run somehow, but most importantly, makes sure level design is tailored to accommodate it. Imagine being able to do wall-run, wall-jump into aerial stealth-kill, or just wall-run > stealth-kill. Could be wonderful

Also, general traversal could be smoothed out as I found Raiden would continually do those little front-flips if I tried leaping up to another ledge at an odd angle. With the wall-run, you could just run straight up walls and not need that lil' flip all the time. The "slide-under" move could be blended better into running so that you don't feel locked into a straight line for its entire duration.

Finally, RPGs should be more easily cut/predicted. I think they can be cut in blade mode, at least. Either way, I'd love for everything to be more easily cancel-able just for moments where a lot is going on. It'd be great to have things slow way down if you enter blade mode right when an enemy fires an RPG so that even during a parry chain with a swordsman, you can slow things down, slice the RPG in half, then go back to parrying the sword strikes.

EDIT: And most importantly, use the interaction button for sheathing your sword in an awesome way. This is needed.

Top Bottom