• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Korigama

I'm not sure all of his moves can be consistently dodged without it. I've tried ninja running when the boss slams the hand down and it sometimes dodges but doesn't always, it's much easier with defensive offsense. But yeah, the double slide can be ninja ran through.

Hmm, definitely tempted to look up videos of high-level play while I improve (though by no means bad at the game, I have some ways to go before I can play even close to flawlessly).

Mutombo

If I din't like Bayonetta, will I like this?

After two hours of Bayonetta I figured I'd pretty much 'd be playing the rest of the game the same way and I kind of lost interest.

I LOVED Vanquish though. One of my favourite games ever.

Uraizen

Banned

After two hours of Bayonetta I figured I'd pretty much 'd be playing the rest of the game the same way and I kind of lost interest.

MGR feels like a different type of action game to me. Feels more combat-focused than Bayonetta, imo. Worth giving a shot if you can, at least.

Finished this game a a little while back, then started RE6. Finished that, and now I'm back playing MG:R, this time on hard. This game is too awesome to stay away from.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished this game a a little while back, then started RE6. Finished that, and now I'm back playing MG:R, this time on hard. This game is too awesome to stay away from.

It's been such a long time since I played a game that I just can't put down after completing it. There are other games I want to play and shows I want to watch but I just can't stop playing Rising long enough to get to them. It's an absolute blast.

ezekial45

Banned
Hopefully now Konami will realize that they need to hire Platinum Games for the next Castlevania (the one after LoS2 that is).

I'm pretty satisfied with Mercury Steam, and I'd much rather they stick with it.

If Konami was going to give them anything, then it should be Contra.

Fox Mulder

I picked this up on release day and didnt really like it, I even had it listed in the BST trade for sale for $45.

I'm glad I started playing it again today for the first time since, goddamn what a fun game.

Revven

Okay, so I actually completed VR Missions 19 & 20 but I'm STILL stuck on 18. One slight error and you're done. It requires way too much perfection for me to do, I fear. :(

The furthest I got was wave 3 and I tried to go for the canine first but then the hammer guys start coming up from behind me; there's just zero time to parry and dodge when you're up against a wall with the shitty camera. >_<

So I'm taking a break, way too goddamn frustrating to keep trying. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.

Cheska

GAF, what's wrong with me? I'm not really impressed by MGR right now. I currently beat
Sundowner
and I just feel like I'm forcing myself to play through right now just to see what all the fuss is about. I freakin' loved Bayonetta, and found Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns both highly enjoyable. I like to think I'm not a novice when it comes to action games, and I've been doing well enough with the parrying/defensive offensive, but I don't know, it's just not clicking.

I mean, you guys are all talking about how much fun you're having, and some are even mentioning game of the generation and I'm just not seeing it. I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong, but basically most of the game has been parry->counter attack->repeat. I'm not bashing the game at all, in fact I'd love to be able to immerse myself in it they way some of you are. Anyone have any suggestions? I mean, are you guys just going all rambo with the enemies and tearing them to shreds?

try the demo and deal judgment! :D

Does anyone cut up scenery so that it's left standing, then palm-strike it so that it explodes apart?

I want a sword cusmozation that leaves objects/enemies seemingly intact until hit them with other means. Or they fall apart right as you sheathe your sword, but that would require a "shethe weapon" input.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I only have VR Missions 17, 18, and 19 left I can't even figure out how to go about them. They're so painful. I'm not even trying to get the 1st place rank, just complete them. As soon as I'm done with them I'm not touching these VR Missions again and can go back to having fun with the game.

Revven

GAF, what's wrong with me? I'm not really impressed by MGR right now. I currently beat
Sundowner
and I just feel like I'm forcing myself to play through right now just to see what all the fuss is about. I freakin' loved Bayonetta, and found Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns both highly enjoyable. I like to think I'm not a novice when it comes to action games, and I've been doing well enough with the parrying/defensive offensive, but I don't know, it's just not clicking.

I mean, you guys are all talking about how much fun you're having, and some are even mentioning game of the generation and I'm just not seeing it. I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong, but basically most of the game has been parry->counter attack->repeat. I'm not bashing the game at all, in fact I'd love to be able to immerse myself in it they way some of you are. Anyone have any suggestions? I mean, are you guys just going all rambo with the enemies and tearing them to shreds?

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're playing on Normal, that could be why you're not seeing the magic some of us did on our first playthrough. I played on Hard the first time and it made the action much more apparent and challenging (also fun) because the AI is more aggro (plus different enemy placement).

demidar

Sundowner

Playing on hard? I like a challenge and overcoming challenges is why I play the game (and eventually get so good that I make a mockery out of things that used to kick my ass). I also love pushing my luck and diving into 8 guys and wrecking them all without getting hit.

Sundowner

At a certain point I began to realize that the encounters in this game were more like little puzzles to be figured out. You really need all the weapons and upgrades for some of those solutions though. Every single battle has a certain strategy to it. I don't think games like Bayonetta or DMC are the same way

Zen

Banned
Sundowner

For me it didn't start to click until subsequent playthroughs. The terrible stealth mechanics and 2 dimensional level design sort of preclude you from experiencing all the nuance the game has because you spend so much time getting caught easily and then it's forced into a complete combat encounter, there's no ability to just easily escape and start fiddling with things in the traditional MGS style. So everything can feel very straightforward on your first run-through.

You know how to dodge right? Start using that and the combat will open up a bit. Go through a few VR missions to really get the idea down of aiming for high performance. Spend some time enjoying the world cutting mechanic.

Sundowner

I think that's just a thing with P*, their stuff either clicks or it doesn't, regardless of what you think of their other stuff. I love Bayo, AR and MGR, but think Vanquish is just okay.

I just really love the blade mode/Zandatsu aspect and finishing off people or getting multiple Zandatsus in a single swing just doesn't get old. I always go for manual swinging in BM unless I just want to reduce a guy into thin slices.

Cheska

What difficulty are you playing on? If you're playing on Normal, that could be why you're not seeing the magic some of us did on our first playthrough. I played on Hard the first time and it made the action much more apparent and challenging (also fun) because the AI is more aggro (plus different enemy placement).

Playing on hard? I like a challenge and overcoming challenges is why I play the game (and eventually get so good that I make a mockery out of things that used to kick my ass). I also love pushing my luck and diving into 8 guys and wrecking them all without getting hit.

At a certain point I began to realize that the encounters in this game were more like little puzzles to be figured out. You really need all the weapons and upgrades for some of those solutions though. Every single battle has a certain strategy to it. I don't think games like Bayonetta or DMC are the same way

For me it didn't start to click until subsequent playthroughs. The terrible stealth mechanics and 2 dimensional level design sort of preclude you from experiencing all the nuance the game has because you spend so much time getting caught easily and then it's forced into a complete combat encounter, there's no ability to just easily escape and start fiddling with things in the traditional MGS style. So everything can feel very straightforward on your first run-through.

You know how to dodge right? Start using that and the combat will open up a bit. Go through a few VR missions to really get the idea down of aiming for high performance. Spend some time enjoying the world cutting mechanic.

Thanks so much guys. I might as well finish the game now on this difficulty and then try on a harder one when I've gotten more upgrades. I think I've also made the mistake of not purchasing the unique weapons since I've been putting all of it towards upgrading my blade and life.

Zen

Banned
I started using the pole and immediately dropped it in favor of just upgrading all the moves on my sword. But the game feels great when you're a badass, facing tough opposition and on your first run through you just aren't going to have enough BP to make that a reality, especially when you're spending most of your time chewing through very 2-dimensional grunts and then getting caught off guard by whatever new boss or enemy that gets throws at you. Once you've gotten Raiden upgraded, AND you know what to expect AND the enemies are still attacking furiously, the game opens up and starts to feel very gratifying.

On normal enemies just kind of sit there.

I think the challenge on the final boss will really awaken your spirit. I know people complain about the difficulty of him, but for me I spent most of the game 'ho hum what's the big deal?' and then I got to him and there sheer insanity of fighting him the first time (from a gameplay standpoint of what it expects from you) really pushed me to start actually trying at the game, and then I was chomping at the bit to start hard mode right after.

Bonus points: I've had a lot of fun playing it more true to MGS on subsequent playthroughs since the speed of the combat doesn't constantly make me feel like I shouldn't be taking it slow or listening to codecs). Awkward stealth and all, if you're an MGS fan make it a point to use the box and codec it up on your next playthrough.

demidar

Holy wall of text Batman.

But yes, sometimes the depth of a combat system is no apparent if you can just skate by doing simple things. Killing a Mephisto sucks ass as Dante until you learn to dance around it in mid-air using a combination of shotgun blasts, Air Trick and enemy step, I would've never learnt how to do that if I could just two-shot them on a lower difficulty.

Beezy

doubt it

ViviOggi

Was going to finish Revengeance mode tonight, turns out
the last Armstrong pre-fight is utterly retarded. First time I've died to unblockable attacks because the camera distorted my directional inputs, died to unavoidable shockwave attacks when he's standing in the center of the arena or I'm cornered and more wonky crap.
Just let me get to the actual boss fight, jeez.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
VR Mission 19. Last enemy died as I was mid swing, about to hit the Zandatsu. Body was still there but it registered him as being killed without it. 12 minutes in. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

The thing that stinks about 19 is that it takes all fuckin' day. You'll be 5-7+ mins into an attempt, then something will fuck up, time to re-do that. Rinse and repeat for like, a hour

18 was actually pretty easy except for the round with the fenrir. I haven't done any of the others though. Going to work on those after S-ranking Revengeance...done with the first 3 chapters so far

round 1 - run away, wait for the gekko to charge, parry it --> execution, clean up the dwarf gekkos
round 2 - run away, wait for the mastiffs to bounce off the wall --> perfect parry and kill them (sometimes you can kill them both at the same time) or just keep running and wait for the jumping kick to parry that
round 3 - don't even know how the hell I did this
round 4 - Sai on the grad kills it easily

Zen

Banned

Rising and Bayonetta aren't similar. Rising isn't a DMC like action game, so don't worry about not liking Bayonetta, I didn't either. Rising feels heavier than any other those games, but not as heavy as something like God of War.

Went to da shopz and decided to go for TR at the last minute after learning that it had broken street date. Don't fret! I was merely using the more "casual" TR to get myself ready for the more "hardcore" experience that is MGR :). It's been a while since I've gamed.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Copying/pasting my text to my best friend. We're both HUGE MGS fans - easily our favorite series in games. We came into Rising with lots of hype but I think realistic expectations knowing it had a rocky development and was coming out toward the end of a console's lifecycle:

Finally had some time to really put effort into MGR today, and just finished it up. I had left off being stuck on Monsoon a few days ago; beat him and the rest in one sitting.

Really, really liked it. Didn't LOVE it - it's nowhere near a real MGS entry for me - but it's a really fun spin-off. I'd probably toss out a 7.5 on ours - rather than general gaming media's - scale.

Thoughts I have right off the cuff: Love how well the game is paced. The individual chapters actually have a good amount of variety, and I always felt like the action was different. I love how well it sticks to the Kojima way of being totally absurd and cheesy... yet still fully badass. Story was a fun romp, and the cutscenes great as always. I do think the graphics were disappointing. Not that I can expect much more on aging hardware and after getting 60fps; but MG games are usually awesome tech showcases. Stuff like the cars were laughable. But again, don't know if that's really anyone's fault.

I thought the beginning half was harder than the second half. On normal, at least, you got quite a few health drops during battles and the bosses were more 1v1 than having to deal with extra minions. Which... Btw... Bosses were a fucking blast. Loved how epic and over the top they were. Sam was a huge highlight in the sunset in the dessert. Music isn't my taste at all... But it worked well weight with this title.

I think a sequel could solve every complaint I have, and I hope we see one next-gen.

Oh... And I felt the normal difficulty was just right; and yeah, it's short, but I don't think I'd want it to be much longer. Besides, there are things to unlock and VR missions, too.

So, yeah; lots of fun, some great stuff as always from Kojima and Platinum. But several steps away from greatness. I do think I'll reply it though, which is more than I can say for most games.

Neiteio

Best outfit/sword combo: Desperado Raiden and Sam's sword. Be a boss by LOOKING like a boss.

EDIT: This game utterly destroys MGS4 visually.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Best outfit/sword combo: Desperado Raiden and Sam's sword. Be a boss by LOOKING like a boss.

EDIT: This game utterly destroys MGS4 visually.

It'd be a toss up for me - I just played some of MGS4 about six months ago - and it still is pretty impressive, visually. But, no doubt, the fast-action and effects in Rising are better. But I remember my jaw dropping the first time I played 4; I did not have a similar experience at all with Rising. That's just because the systems are old and worn out, and outside of Halo 4 and the upcoming The Last of Us, nothing on these consoles really impresses me anymore.

Neiteio

It'd be a toss up for me - I just played some of MGS4 about six months ago - and it still is pretty impressive, visually. But, no doubt, the fast-action and effects in Rising are better. But I remember my jaw dropping the first time I played 4; I did not have a similar experience at all with Rising. That's just because the systems are old and worn out, and outside of Halo 4 and the upcoming The Last of Us, nothing on these consoles really impresses me anymore.
For me, even with the fact MGS4 was my first HD game, I still find myself more regularly astounded by MGRR. I mean, I can simply pan the camera on the beach from the demo chapter, doing nothing at all, and the 60 fps "pop" makes the game look so much cleaner, crisper and more "intense" than MGS4 ever did.

MGS4's best moment, visually, was actually the first spot past the Gekko encounter at the start of the game, where you can utilize OctoCamo for the first time -- that alleyway had a certain clarity and solidity to it that was very impressive. But it never quite reached that level again, imo, and the comparatively sluggish framerate and sub-HD resolution dragged things a bit.

MGRR, on the other hand, is so immaculately clean and crisp by comparison -- everything is so sharply defined. And the image quality is one thing; even the character designs in the game have a sleekness to them, being mechanical by design, which makes every combatant in every encounter just pleasant to look at. It's spectacle of the finest sort.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The thing that stinks about 19 is that it takes all fuckin' day. You'll be 5-7+ mins into an attempt, then something will fuck up, time to re-do that. Rinse and repeat for like, a hour

Yeah, it takes fucking forever. I messed up on the last goddamn enemy after twelve minutes.

Preach it, brother. I wish it would be possible for Raiden to look like that by default in the sequel. Embrace the Jack the Ripper look.

Neiteio

One is HD and runs at 60fps. The other does neither. It's not hard.
Yeah, but it's not just the 60fps HD that gives MGRR the edge -- I feel MGRR also has the better art. The enemies and bosses look infinitely cooler in Rising, which I guess is also to be expected since it is an action game. In retrospect, the B&B Corp in MGS4 were pretty damn awful.

Top Bottom