• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

rvy

Banned
Yeah, but it's not just the 60fps HD that gives MGRR the edge -- I feel MGRR also has the better art. The enemies and bosses look infinitely cooler in Rising, which I guess is also to be expected since it is an action game. In retrospect, the B&B Corp in MGS4 were pretty damn awful.

I think MGS 4 has better art and character models, but that's about it.

jett

D-Member
S-Ranked Rev R-04 is in the bag. Fucking hell. Like a fucking moron I'm trying to beat Sundowner with the pincer blades for two hours(like how I no damaged him in hard mode) only to find out you need a 50-hit combo. :lol I switch to just the HF blade and I get it in 5 minutes. Grrrr. Really close, hope i don't get any more obnoxious roadblocks. :( I did feel like a total boss dodging his attacks left and right though. The actual fight probably lasted about one minute, hah.

edit: I agree that MGR looks a heck of a lot better than MGS4. MGS4 is just a poor and dated looking game these days. It does nothing outstanding.

Neiteio

Best loading screens in the business. Press start for every area.

lol
I'm still disappointed the Snake smoking animation from the MGS4 loading screens was never made available as a dynamic theme.

Ah well, I like my fireplace dynamic theme.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I also agree that MGR looks better than MGS4. In screens it doesn't look so hot but in motion you can see that Platinum did a really great job of prioritizing the right assets to make look good while trading off on other stuff to preserve 60fps. The character models of Raiden and the bosses are all legitimately impressive, 60fps or not.

Neiteio

When it comes to the environments, I'm particularly fond of how they handled Denver. Panning the camera up at World Marshal HQ beneath a broiling black sky, getting that sense of vertigo, or rushing down a rain-slick cobblestone street, down terraced stairways, past outdoor cafes and holographic billboards... Leaping across rooftops with the whole city sprawling in every direction, or storming offices with trendy interior design, all varnished wood and glass walls and marble floors, some warm lighting here and there... The city just has a great look to it.

rvy

Banned
I'm still disappointed the Snake smoking animation from the MGS4 loading screens was never made available as a dynamic theme.

Ah well, I like my fireplace dynamic theme.

I suppose a character smoking would break some rule-set or whatever.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I love the look of Denver. Panning the camera up at World Marshal HQ beneath a broiling black sky, getting that sense of vertigo, or rushing down a rain-slick cobblestone street, down terraced stairways, past outdoor cafes and holographic billboards... Leaping across rooftops with the whole city sprawling in every direction, or storming offices with trendy interior design, all varnished wood and glass walls and marble floors, some warm lighting here and there... The city just has a great look to it.

The (chapter 4 boss)
Sundowner
with the rain pouring down him and the city sprawling in every direction was gorgeous.

That the environment like cars look bad is a compromise they had to make. With almost everything able to cut into thousands of pieces and yet manages to be at 60fps for the most part is impressive. Even the tearing is not in the final game. MGR2 on PS4 will be a blast.

I'm a sucker for cherry blossom trees, so as I said earlier, too bad the japanese garden is so short.

Neiteio

The (chapter 4 boss)
Sundowner
with the rain pouring down him and the city sprawling in every direction was gorgeous.
Incredible backdrop to an incredible battle. (Well, it's incredible if you bother to break his defenses and trigger the proper second half of the battle!)

That the environment like cars look bad is a compromise they had to made. With almost everything able to cut into thousands of pieces and yet manages to be at 60fps for the most part is impressive. Even the tearing is not in the final game. MGR2 on PS4 will be a blast.
Yeah, I don't mind the cars looking a bit simpler to accomodate the cutting mechanic. One of my favorite things to do is Ninja Run alongside a parked truck, slashing as I go, then spinning around to see the truck collapse into pieces. Never gets old.

Also, I agree the technical performance is something of a marvel, especially given the limits of consoles. No tearing, and on PS3, the only time I see the frames drop even slightly is when I'm upside-down in Blade Mode carving a Gekko into 100+ pieces. Otherwise it's silky smooth, and they even managed to restore the effects that were missing in the demo.

-Winnie-

Whilst MGR does look stunning for a 60fps game... I can't say I prefer its visuals over MGS4. I think it mostly has to do with how damn muted the colours are in the game.

I have just beaten r04. Man the last time i enjoyed combat action game this much it was in DMC3.

I am trying to slow down. I don't want to finish the game yet!

I just listened to a codec conversation in R-01 in which Boris explains why the radar no longer gets jammed when Raiden is seen by an enemy. This game and its detail, man. The writers didn't even have to give us an explanation for that, but they went and did it anyway. @_@

ViviOggi

MGRR, on the other hand, is so immaculately clean and crisp by comparison -- everything is so sharply defined. And the image quality is one thing; even the character designs in the game have a sleekness to them, being mechanical by design, which makes every combatant in every encounter just pleasant to look at. It's spectacle of the finest sort.

From a design perspective MGS4 always struck me as a very clean looking game akin to MGS2, haven't played it myself though due to the lack of a PS3. MGRR has gone for an overall grittier look, but it certainly has some outstanding backdrops and amazingly slick particle effects during combat.

Really like the combat in this game, parrying makes me feel like I'm a badass..
But wow the QTE sections sometimes sucks.
At the beginning of chapter 2 running along the bridge I was not impressed when I died there.

ZeroRay

STANDING HERE I REALIZE
YOU WERE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Final boss defeated. Was pretty enjoyable after I started evading better and I even managed to cut his projectiles.

Perhaps the best game I've played in the last 2+ years. Well done, Platinum!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
STANDING HERE I REALIZE
YOU WERE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Final boss defeated. Was pretty enjoyable after I started evading better and I even managed to cut his projectiles.

Perhaps the best game I've played in the last 2+ years. Well done, Platinum!

VIOLENCE BREEDS VIOLENCE
BUT IN THE END IT HAS TO BE THIS WAAAAAYYYYY

Neiteio

FIGHTING HIM,
NO NANOPASTE,
I REALIZED
ALL OTHER
FINAL BOSSES
ARE A BIG
DISGRACE

Hmm, I'm still working on the lyrics, but suffice it to say, Rising's final boss is one of the best final bosses in all Final Boss-dom.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FIGHTING HIM,
NO NANOPASTE,
I REALIZED
ALL OTHER
FINAL BOSSES
ARE A BIG
DISGRACE

Hmm, I'm still working on the lyrics, but suffice it to say, Rising's final boss is one of the best final bosses in all Final Boss-dom.

Perfect. Yeah, I love the final boss. He throws you for a loop when you first encounter him but he's just so crazy fun to fight.

Mike M

Nick N
Currently on my second playthrough on Hard, going for collectibles I missed (and I missed a lot). Infinite wig A gives unlimited sub weapon ammo (yawn, rarely used sub weapons), B gives infinite fuel cells (OMFG, so broken), what does the wig you get for 30 hands yield?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Currently on my second playthrough on Hard, going for collectibles I missed (and I missed a lot). Infinite wig A gives unlimited sub weapon ammo (yawn, rarely used sub weapons), B gives infinite fuel cells (OMFG, so broken), what does the wig you get for 30 hands yield?

Blade mode wig

Cut any regular enemy anytime. Pretty pointless if you have Wig B since you can just have Ripper mode on all the time.

JoeFenix

Platinum get!

Gonna work on getting all the titles but I'm giving it a short break for now, incredible game when all's said and done!

Only 101 and Bayo 2 could top this as far as action games this year, no one else is in the same league.

demidar

I prefer infinite subweapons. Infinite EM grenades will destroy everything. Hammerheads can be shot down with a Stinger, etc etc.

Village

Platinum get!

Gonna work on getting all the titles but I'm giving it a short break for now, incredible game when all's said and done!

Only 101 and Bayo 2 could top this as far as action games this year, no one else is in the same league.

since istuno doesnt wanna make devil may cry's anymore, they will have a monopoly on that market for a while, besides the few high flashy combo oriented action rpg.

That would require a certain company involved with basic shapes, and the end parts of mystical animals to actually finish and release games when they announce them.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Just got MGS2&3 and Peacewalker from that Microsoft sale. Haven't played any of them before. Not gonna try them out immediately because I'm fairly busy at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see if I like them. Stealth is not usually my thing.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
R-02 Very Hard
The two GRADs
tips for beating them? I can take out one of them but then the other isn't as easy. :/

Just got MGS2&3 and Peacewalker from that Microsoft sale. Haven't played any of them before. Not gonna try them out immediately because I'm fairly busy at the moment, but it'll be interesting to see if I like them. Stealth is not usually my thing.

Outside of no alert, no kill achievements you can play it as in-your-face or as ghosting as you want.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
What was everyone's favorite segment of the game?

Mine was definitely the latter half of the Marshall HQ. Running through the building, glass shattering as flying enemies shoot from outside. Enemies in that you quickly defeat as you continue running through. The awesome "jump out the window and launch off the enemies. Vertical climbing outside the building, and then flying straight up. Finished off with an awesome boss battle in the rain.

Jintor

I finally found what
IIIIIIIIIIIIII WAS LOOOOOOOOOOOKING FOOOOOOOOOR
A place where I can
BEEEEEEEE WITHOUUUUUUT REMOOOOOOOOORSE
BECAUSE I AM A STRANGER WHO HAS FOUND AN EVEN STRANGER WAR

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Turn on Ripper mode and destroy the non-boss enemy. Then go for the boss.

I'm doing that but I can' t seem to do that with no damage, which is what is throwing me for a loop. Avoid damage getting over there, take him out quickly with the polearm, but I can't seem to stun the boss himself easy. I guess I need to switch from the pole-arm to the sai quickly after?

ViviOggi

R-02 Very Hard
The two GRADs
tips for beating them? I can take out one of them but then the other isn't as easy. :/

Those are actually two different types of GRADs, the front one is a stronger sub-boss variation while the one in the back is just a regular GRAD. It's much easier if you take out the standard one first: parry the sub-boss's opening attack, ninja run towards the weaker GRAD and ripper mode him to shreds. The remaining one shouldn't be a problem then, just chip away his health after hitting him with the charged Sai, rinse and repeat.

The Lamp

Whilst MGR does look stunning for a 60fps game... I can't say I prefer its visuals over MGS4. I think it mostly has to do with how damn muted the colours are in the game.

I agree. I actually think MGS4 is sharper and better looking. I played it a couple of months ago and it still holds up to games of today.

Neiteio

What was everyone's favorite segment of the game?

Mine was definitely the latter half of the Marshall HQ. Running through the building, glass shattering as flying enemies shoot from outside. Enemies in that you quickly defeat as you continue running through. The awesome "jump out the window and launch off the enemies. Vertical climbing outside the building, and then flying straight up. Finished off with an awesome boss battle in the rain.
Mine's the first half of the first Denver level.
Street brawl with cyborg police, then TWO GRADs (an old Platinum hat trick -- take a boss from an earlier chapter, and treat them like vanilla enemies). I love this wide open intersection here, and the cafe up above with the cutout of the pinup girl. From there you have the office smackdown with two Gekko and a smattering of Dwarf Gekkos. The two Gekkos come flying through the windows, and there is a ton of furniture to slice up! Later, you take the elevator to the rooftops, for a series of great fights with death-defying leaps in-between. The scenery through it all is lovely.

The level's otherwise impeccable pacing hits a brief snag at two points:
the pitch-black tunnels with the Mastiffs, and the forced slow-walking section while Sam talks and before Monsoon.
I must say, though, the
Mastiffs in the pitch-black tunnel
sure have some iconic imagery, namely their
glowing red eyes

Monsoon is a solid way to round out the chapter, with some strong cutscenes, although my favorite boss is probably (final boss spoiler)
Armstrong

I'm doing that but I can' t seem to do that with no damage, which is what is throwing me for a loop. Avoid damage getting over there, take him out quickly with the polearm, but I can't seem to stun the boss himself easy. I guess I need to switch from the pole-arm to the sai quickly after?

I S-ranked it on revengeance without getting the no damage bonus. Just have to make sure to get a 40-hit combo and do it in less than 2:30. Also make sure to get the locked container on the opposite side of the room when you first enter to easily cross off the BP requirement for the fight

I just used the sai to stun the regular grad and tried to keep it in between Raiden and the other Grad while fighting it. The 40-hit combo was easy. It took a few attempts though. EM grenades also work but I didn't really use them. If you really want the no damage bonus you basically have to hit the first perfect parry at the beginning and then parry it again, but its not required for the S-rank

Jintor

The main thing I think is the far greater focus in B on dodge offset and completing combos, because the damage output of Wicked Weaves outclasses almost everything else. Meanwhile, Rising's more about raw damage output so you can fast-track to Zandatsu and parrying everything else in the meantime.

addyb

Well finished this earlier. Overall very impressed. I absolutely loved the cut scenes before the monsoon and jetstream Sam battles. Good stuff.

I wont disclose how many attempts it took me to beat that damn final boss though. I seriously was going to give up but made it in the end.

Tomb Raider next up but i really need to get bayonetta as I've still not played it.

The Lamp

I'm sure. I would pick up Bayonetta but I'm hesitant because of hearing the performance issues in the PS3...And I don't want to add another game to my 360 library unless the new Xbox is bc because I want to get rid of my 360

Once I got used to Bayonetta, I felt confident that if I could do everything/go exacty where I wanted to at any moment and all the move inputs were perfect.

In MGR, moves like the palm-strike and break-dance slice where you have to tap backward>forward+attack seem unreliable. I just can't do them consistently because you have to move the stick in a straight line which if difficult when doing it in varying directions. It's not a huge problem, but still. I feel like being able to use lock-on in the same way it's used in Bayo would help considerably with those inputs. As it is now, it seems too unforgiving and I'd like to use these more. Forward>forward+attack doesn't cause as many problems, but it still feels a bit messy. I never attacked an enemy I didn't want to in B, but I do in Rising sometimes, especially with the Red Hot Kick.

Movement in Bayo feels more solid too. Going in and out of panther-mode was smooth as butter.

TBH I haven't even used the fox blade code that came with my game yet and probably never will. It actually sounds like a total waste of my time trivializing the game like that. Maybe I should just give it away. :)

If only you posted a bit sooner. I was giving a 10$ code in exchange for a FOX blade DLC code the other day.

I wont disclose how many attempts it took me to beat that damn final boss though.

I'm not ashamed to say that it took me at least 2 hours to beat the final boss on my first playthrough (Hard difficulty). I only started with 2 nano pastes and could have gotten more by replaying earlier sections, but I decided not to. I treated my retries as a learning experience and as a result I was able to consistently take him to 90% damage while only getting hit maybe twice. (Many times I would choke near the end and die and have to restart.) I may not be as good as other members of GAF, but I did get a lot better than when I first started playing Revengeance. Looking forward to getting a no damage run someday. But a Plat trophy? In my dreams!

Would adding a guideline going straight from Raiden to the apex of the blade-swing guide help make aiming easier in blade mode? I've found that trying to cut small objects like RPGs or grenades using both sticks to feel off at times since it isn't in first-person.

Top Bottom