• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Movement in Bayo feels more solid too. Going in and out of panther-mode was smooth as butter.

I read on GAF once that "Bayonetta feels like the Super Mario Galaxy of character action games." Something like that. It's always stuck with me because, at least in terms of control, that describes the game perfectly. It's immaculate. Going into Panther mode during a combo to circle / chase down an enemy, and bursting out of it with an attack is the epitome of "good controls."

Rising provides different thrills, but it's not on that level.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I just listened to a codec conversation in R-01 in which Boris explains why the radar no longer gets jammed when Raiden is seen by an enemy. This game and its detail, man. The writers didn't even have to give us an explanation for that, but they went and did it anyway. @_@
Wow I didn't realize that. Platinum did their homework

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions for button mashing sequence? Like when the Gekko charges at you or pulling apart Sundowner's shield. Fortunately the game is flexible allowing you to accomplish by other means.

jett

D-Member
I'm doing that but I can' t seem to do that with no damage, which is what is throwing me for a loop. Avoid damage getting over there, take him out quickly with the polearm, but I can't seem to stun the boss himself easy. I guess I need to switch from the pole-arm to the sai quickly after?

You can get the no damage trophies on hard mode, don't make it harder for yourself. :p

Pretty sure this game is not going to get old for a very long time. Zandatsu is one of the most satisfying combat mechanics ever.

You know how people always complain about repeated phrases shouted by characters? I will never get sick of Raiden shouting "BULLSEYE!" and "DEAD ONNNNNNN!"

Jintor

Once I got used to Bayonetta, I felt confident that if I could do everything/go exacty where I wanted to at any moment and all the move inputs were perfect.

In MGR, moves like the palm-strike and break-dance slice where you have to tap backward>forward+attack seem unreliable. I just can't do them consistently because you have to move the stick in a straight line which if difficult when doing it in varying directions. It's not a huge problem, but still. I feel like being able to use lock-on in the same way it's used in Bayo would help considerably with those inputs. As it is now, it seems too unforgiving and I'd like to use these more. Forward>forward+attack doesn't cause as many problems, but it still feels a bit messy. I never attacked an enemy I didn't want to in B, but I do in Rising sometimes, especially with the Red Hot Kick.

Movement in Bayo feels more solid too. Going in and out of panther-mode was smooth as butter.

I read on GAF once that "Bayonetta feels like the Super Mario Galaxy of character action games." Something like that. It's always stuck with me because, at least in terms of control, that describes the game perfectly. It's immaculate. Going into Panther mode during a combo to circle / chase down an enemy, and bursting out of it with an attack is the epitome of "good controls."

Rising provides different thrills, but it's not on that level.

Absolutely true. it's very rare in B that I feel I'm unable to do exactly what I want to do. Rising is pretty close but it's not quite there, especially when you're fighting those goddamned jetpacks.

Also, panther mode has this insane growl that happens every time you use it. That thing is like a shot straight to my brain's pleasure centres.

jett

D-Member
What do I have to do to ensure an S-rank in the first boss of R-07? Is getting no damage and the 80-hit combo good enough?

What do I have to do to ensure an S-rank in the first boss of R-07? Is getting no damage and the 80-hit combo good enough?

either no damage, 1 zandatsu on a gekko and an 80 hit combo, or 2 zandatsus and 4 kills (so 3 gekkos) without the no damage bonus

has to be in less than 8 minutes and 800bp either way too

EDIT - actually you also need an 80 hit combo either way as well

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
use pincer blades to kill the gekkos, or bring them to blue

the hardest part about S ranking without no damage is that the laser will steal your kills. Even if you zandatsu after the laser takes them out it won't count for you

Missed 1 left arm, no idea where since I made sure to collect every one available I saw. Must have missed an encouter somewhere.

Also missed one MiB, I think the second one, will need to rectify that. Any reward for finding them all?

use pincer blades to kill the gekkos, or bring them to blue

the hardest part about S ranking without no damage is that the laser will steal your kills. Even if you zandatsu after the laser takes them out it won't count for you

How do you reliably dodge those lasers? I haven't tried working out a strategy to avoid them, but still.

How do you reliably dodge those lasers? I haven't tried working out a strategy to avoid them, but still.

The side swipes don't reach the edge of the arena, so you could just run as far back as you can and just ninja run to either side when it does the vertical swipes. The trouble is the Zandatsu BP bonus for the fight, so if you want to get that you need to wait for the laser to kill a gekko, run in, get the zandatsu, and use the animation to avoid the next laser. If you go into blade mode and miss you'll probably eat a laser for your troubles. Luckily it checkpoints before that section, I suppose.

The side swipes don't reach the edge of the arena, so you could just run as far back as you can and just ninja run to either side when it does the vertical swipes. The trouble is the Zandatsu BP bonus for the fight, so if you want to get that you need to wait for the laser to kill a gekko, run in, get the zandatsu, and use the animation to avoid the next laser. If you go into blade mode and miss you'll probably eat a laser for your troubles. Luckily it checkpoints before that section, I suppose.

Okay, thanks. I figured it going for the gekkos without getting hit would be difficult. I might try staying at the back and leading them toward me

noffles

Banned
Monsoon no damage is a wanker. Keep getting fucked over by that fucking THROW THINGS AT RAIDEN attack and its shitty luck based placement bollocks.

Astral

Monsoon no damage is a wanker. Keep getting fucked over by that fucking THROW THINGS AT RAIDEN attack and its shitty luck based placement bollocks.

When he does that move to the very back and go to a corner. Wait for him to start throwing them and then just run to the other side. You'll dodge them all. Just make sure you move back that first corner before he starts throwing his second barrage of crap.

Jintor

Jesus H Christ R00 on Very Hard is no joke. No offensive defence to cancel out of moves, no Zandatsu to recover health... I got eaten alive by two fenrirs and rocket-launcher mooks.

That's not even counting god damn Metal Gear Ray and his giant lazer beams

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

move to the back of the screen(away from excelsus) when they sweep horizontally

move to the side when he shoots them in a straight line

it's not luck. Each wave shoots in the spots in the same order every time.(usually he shoots pieces starting from your right in a clockwise pattern.)

but if you don't want to deal with it you could always ninja run to dodge the blocks

I think that has more of an element of luck involved than just cutting them tho

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Got my Naked and Unloved title

took longer than necessary since I misinterpreted "no life or fuel upgrades" as "no upgrades" up until the Excelsus fight.

now I can polish off the Platinum

Guess I'll save S Ranking Revengeance for last

Most of the time you can still get an S Rank without a no damage bonus if you make up for it with a fast time, a big enough combo, enough BP and zandatsus and the right amount of kills. Also No Kills bonus is helpful in certain encounters. Sometimes one method is a lot easier than any of the others. For example with the R-00 boss its much easier to just do it under 3 minutes than doing it without damage (but most likely you'll get both anyway unless you just get hit by the regular gun). Its all just point based, as long as you hit the point requirement for the S Rank you're good

Monocle

I'm sure. I would pick up Bayonetta but I'm hesitant because of hearing the performance issues in the PS3...And I don't want to add another game to my 360 library unless the new Xbox is bc because I want to get rid of my 360
Bayonetta is less than $30 on Amazon. You owe it to yourself to play this game.

RangerBAD

Got my Naked and Unloved title

took longer than necessary since I misinterpreted "no life or fuel upgrades" as "no upgrades" up until the Excelsus fight.

now I can polish off the Platinum

Guess I'll save S Ranking Revengeance for last

Are titles needed for trophies? Is there any sort of reward?

SHAZOOM

Just Finished up on Very Hard. I found I actually needed to use Ripper mode more on Very Hard than Normal/Hard. Though using the fully upgraded Armor Breaker seems a bit unfair (took down a Grad in less than 5 seconds w/ Ripper mode on).

Also, the 2 fights that gave me the most trouble were Sam and the 2 Grad fight (where the Grad is first introduced on Normal) in Very Hard. Didn't have to restart, but I went from 5 nanopaste to 2 in those fights. Armstrong was suprisingly easy through Normal/Hard/Very Hard, but he did do the Pummel QTE more on Very Hard. Poor Sundowner just gets murdered in every difficulty.

So I think I have everything unlocked except for 3 costumes (yellow, blue, MGS4 and gray fox) and some main swords (Fox blade and the tuning fork one). This better be all access DLC at some point for the Gray Fox stuff.

I really love this game, and I think if they had a little more dev time, we could have perfect Ninja Run working. Right now, its works for encounters, but traversal of obstacles is a bit iffy. A little more time and it would have been "BayoPanther" good.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
One of my favorite moments during the playthru. Had a guy gif this for us which I posted earlier.

YoVideogames BEST OF! Rising 'Oh F*CK ME'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJxVx4BBwdk
hitbyacar.gif

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Are titles needed for trophies? Is there any sort of reward?

nah. Just doing them for completion's sake and that they don't seem that bad

but I think I'm pretty close to burning out on this so not sure I'll make it through S ranking every difficulty. Gonna finish the Plat and see how I feel about the game after that

I'm just glad I got Naked and Unloved out of the way since it's the only one that requires you to delete your upgrade and unlock progress

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally finished it.

FUCK, THAT FINAL BOSS WAS AMAZING. OH MY GOD. OHHHHHH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

I'll... I need to calm down first before writing something that sounds smart. Cuz. Wow. I'm impressed.

One thing I want for the sequel:

That handbrake drift Raiden does in the prologue to
catch up to the train.
I want a chase section using that in real time. Looks badass.

All the cutscenes are really well done, actually. Great facial expressions and use of slow motion.

Top Bottom