• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I should have mentioned that my code is for the Japanese ps3 version. It came with every copy and I'm not sure it would work with any other version. :p

Codes don't worry across regions unfortunately. :( I bought the US version but couldn't use the JP code :(

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this weekend... there are no words that have not already been spoken.

Did anyone else think George looks like a young DmC Dante?

Screen+Shot+2013-02-23+at+12.55.27+PM.png

playstation-all-stars-battle-royale.png

Probably just a coincidence, but it gave me a chuckle when it randomly occurred to me.

Jintor

One thing I want for the sequel:

That handbrake drift Raiden does in the prologue to
catch up to the train.
I want a chase section using that in real time. Looks badass.

All the cutscenes are really well done, actually. Great facial expressions and use of slow motion.

Wall running.

WALL. RUNNING.

Riposte

Finally finished it.

FUCK, THAT FINAL BOSS WAS AMAZING. OH MY GOD. OHHHHHH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

I'll... I need to calm down first before writing something that sounds smart. Cuz. Wow. I'm impressed.

Ha, seems like you weren't disappointed by all the hype.

Duffyside

Banned
I wish running wouldn't nix your AR mode. That made looking for the collectibles more of a pain than it should have been. Attacking I get. Not running. Don't make me go slow to pick stuff up.

Otherwise, I keep telling myself I'm done with this game, but every day that I think I'm either not going to play anything or find something in my backlog of 100 games to play, I sit down and keep going with this. There isn't even much more I want to do with it — I know I'll never go after the Platinum for it. It's just so damn fun to play though.

"Gameplay first."

Wall running.

WALL. RUNNING.

Wall running's cool too. There's a lot of stuff they could do with ninja run to flesh out scenarios and level design. I'm guessing this is one of those areas they had to cut back on due to a relatively short development time in comparison to Bayonetta which played with gravity, had vehicle sections, fights on missiles, fights on falling buildings, etc. I just wanna see them go nuts in a sequel.

Cybernetic ninjas, dawg. So many possibilities.

Wall running's cool too. There's a lot of stuff they could do with ninja run to flesh out scenarios and level design. I guessing this is one of those areas they had to cut back on due to a relatively short development time in comparison to Bayonetta which played with gravity, had vehicle sections, fights on missiles, fights on falling buildings, etc. I just wanna see them go nuts in a sequel.

Pretty much this. I want to see some ridiculous traversal elements in a sequel. Wall running alone opens up some major possibilities.

Jintor

Although the main thing I think they need to is to fix the goddamn camera. That thing can really be a huge nightmare when it starts spazzing out in a corner

Wall running's cool too. There's a lot of stuff they could do with ninja run to flesh out scenarios and level design. I guessing this is one of those areas they had to cut back on due to a relatively short development time in comparison to Bayonetta which played with gravity, had vehicle sections, fights on missiles, fights on falling buildings, etc. I just wanna see them go nuts in a sequel.

Yeah wall running would've been nice.

Also, it annoys me that Raiden can lift gigantic mechs and leap huge distances in cutscenes, but we can't do things like that in-game (although I understand why).

Maybe for the nextgen sequel, we can have huge stages that can accomodate those movements.

Missed 1 left arm, no idea where since I made sure to collect every one available I saw. Must have missed an encouter somewhere.

Also missed one MiB, I think the second one, will need to rectify that. Any reward for finding them all?

Most likely when you have to destroy the electrical panels. You need to take out two of them without triggering an Alert, then a Hammer Bro will come into the area.

Just do this right when the elevator door opens:

You can continuously sprint to and from the first one and if you hug the walls the enemies either won't see you, or they'll go into Caution. Don't sprint anymore when you go into the upper hallway, they might see/hear you.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Saving the civilian in chapter 5 seems impossible. The GRAD spots you no matter what.
Go left and down the stairs after killing the guy on the post up infront. Move behind vehicle to vehicle before your closest to the hostage without being spotted (spotted occurs when GRAD gets a lock on, you have enough time to go between cover to make sure that doesn't happen). Throw an EMP grenade over the truck/bus/whatever your behind. Go in, start offense on the cyborgs, preferrably slide > Zandatsu for quick kill. Once you have all of their attention, clear sailing.

Worst comes to worst, there's an EMP grenade right up against the wall beside the bottom of the stairs on the left.

Saving the civilian in chapter 5 seems impossible. The GRAD spots you no matter what.
Stealth kill the guard on the ledge, then Zandatsu-cancel and throw an EM mine towards the group on the lower area. With a bit of luck and speed you can get down there to kill the two guards and GRAD without the civilian getting hurt. It took me a bunch of tries too because I would miss a guard with the grenade and he'd shoot anyways.

I had to just throw EM grenades from way back until I hit the guys near the civilian. Can also use an RP grenade and stealth kill the guard closest to you but its kind of a waste of time

After they recover from the EM grenade they forget about the civilian so you can just pull them over to the other side and kill them. Civilian can still die from splash damage if you don't keep them away from him

Raxus

This Monsoon fight is going to be the death of me. It is stupid enough that his phosphorus grenades do damage if you aren't careful. His Sais are nearly unblockable. Needless to say he is probably one of the best exercises in offensive defense in the game.

Hypron

Stealth kill the guard on the ledge, then Zandatsu-cancel and throw an EM mine towards the group on the lower area. With a bit of luck and speed you can get down there to kill the two guards and GRAD without the civilian getting hurt. It took me a bunch of tries too because I would miss a guard with the grenade and he'd shoot anyways.

To be honest I'd recommend just to use the rocket launcher. If you fire it straight at the guard the further away from the hostage it'll take both of them down (it might even kill them both depending on which difficulty you're playing) and then they'll attack you once they get back on their feet instead of executing the civilian.

This Monsoon fight is going to be the death of me. It is stupid enough that his phosphorus grenades do damage if you aren't careful. His Sais are nearly unblockable. Needless to say he is probably one of the best exercises in offensive defense in the game.

Dodge the smoke bomb when he throws his hands up. For the sais, you'll need to find a good parry rhythm. Not too fast - always input the next parry when the previous one triggers.

Raxus

Dodge the smoke bomb when he throws his hands up. For the sais, you'll need to find a good parry rhythm. Not too fast - always input the next parry when the previous one triggers.

Thanks. I can dodge the smoke bombs since it is typically obvious when he does it but the sais are a pain in the ass. It doesn't help whenever I get a chance to O/D my way out of it I wind up wigging out the camera. In fact the camera is probably to blame for 50% of my hits.

noffles

Banned
Thanks. I can dodge the smoke bombs since it is typically obvious when he does it but the sais are a pain in the ass. It doesn't help whenever I get a chance to O/D my way out of it I wind up wigging out the camera. In fact the camera is probably to blame for 50% of my hits.

Lock on is possibly most useful for Monsoon out of all the bosses and should fix any camera problems. Also, don't use defensive offensive against him except for the smoke bombs. Parry everything, no exceptions.

Going to have TWO MORE TRIES before I get back to my day.

Raxus

Lock on is possibly most useful for Monsoon out of all the bosses and should fix any camera problems. Also, don't use defensive offensive against him except for the smoke bombs. Parry everything, no exceptions.

Yeah especially when he is spinning around you. D/O has helped me a ton if I do it at appropriate moments. It allows me to take the offense in smoke and get him to his easy phase 2 and opens him up for a punish when he is on the offense. If I get lucky I can push him into phase 2 without getting a smoke or in the smoke.

demidar

Can you parry the Blade Mode segment ("LEFT HAND RULE") debris? I usually just cut them to pieces or SliceDodge out of the way.

noffles

Banned
Can you parry the Blade Mode segment ("LEFT HAND RULE") debris? I usually just cut them to pieces or SliceDodge out of the way.

I've not been daredevil enough to try it. Ninja running works as was suggested to me earlier, but it seems like it can be hit and miss.

Also, I just thumped the underside of my desk hahaha THIS IS SO WONDERFULLY CALMING.

demidar

I've not been daredevil enough to try it. Ninja running works as was suggested to me earlier, but it seems like it can be hit and miss.

Also, I just thumped the underside of my desk hahaha THIS IS SO WONDERFULLY CALMING.

I tried Ninja Running as well but I always seem to get clipped and take 2.5% damage, ruining my No Damage run.

LORENTZ FORCE. MAGNETIC FORCE. NATURE'S FORCE. WELCOME TO MY UTOPIA OF DEATH.

Weirdest attack calls ever.

Could possibly be easier to just forget the No Damage bonus for Monsoon S rank. Just have to make sure to get a 30 hit combo and get at least 1000 bp from hitting the stuff he throws at you

Satch

Banned
I tried Ninja Running as well but I always seem to get clipped and take 2.5% damage, ruining my No Damage run.

LORENTZ FORCE. MAGNETIC FORCE. NATURE'S FORCE. WELCOME TO MY UTOPIA OF DEATH.

Weirdest attack calls ever.

you forgot the best one

LEFT HAND RULE

edit: o nevermind no you didnt

you still should have said it again tho

LEFT HAND RULE

Could possibly be easier to just forget the No Damage bonus for Monsoon S rank. Just have to make sure to get a 30 hit combo and get at least 1000 bp from hitting the stuff he throws at you
Thing is, you might as well. When you're doing no damage it doesn't really matter what difficulty you're on and it's a trophy in itself.

Cheska

Fuck this last boss. Seriously. This is what I get for saying I wasn't impressed with the game earlier. I wasted all my nanopastes on the fight that preceded this one, and I fail miserably at chopping down the boulders. I actually manage to get the boss down to 40-60% by barely taking any damage but I end up getting caught by some combo and BAM! Dead :(

No damage on Monsoon isn't too tough once you know his tricks. You only have to deal with blocking his attacks before the first junk phase at around 67% and when he hits 40%. The pincer blades will deal with everything else.

Fuck this last boss. Seriously. This is what I get for saying I wasn't impressed with the game earlier. I wasted all my nanopastes on the fight that preceded this one, and I fail miserably at chopping down the boulders. I actually manage to get the boss down to 40-60% by barely taking any damage but I end up getting caught by some combo and BAM! Dead :(

Use both sticks to line up your cut. Once the cut is lined up, simply release the cutting stick to initiate the cut.

noffles

Banned
FUCK YOU MONSOON SUCK MA FUCKEN DICK.

Did it by ninja running from the shit he throws at you. So much relief. I am so happy right now.

I may have to do it again on Revengeance for an S rank, but mother of fucking jesus I am DONE for now.

Zen

Banned

Are you interrupting him when he's healing? Use blade mode, he stays vulnerable for a long period of time after the QTE.

demidar

Thing is, you might as well. When you're doing no damage it doesn't really matter what difficulty you're on and it's a trophy in itself.

Ah, I already No Damaged him, but I'll have to S rank him again because I missed an encounter in the chapter and I ended up with an 'A'.

Ah, I already No Damaged him, but I'll have to S rank him again because I missed an encounter in the chapter and I ended up with an 'A'.

#thatawkwardmoment

Optional encounters in R-03 if you didn't already look them up:
Call for backup, turn left after first rooftop battle and open black box, hammerhead on rooftops, Mastiffs before exiting underground, kill all 5 soldiers while Raiden is slow-walking

demidar

#thatawkwardmoment

Optional encounters in R-03 if you didn't already look them up:
Call for backup, turn left after first rooftop battle and open black box, hammerhead on rooftops, Mastiffs before exiting underground, kill all 5 soldiers while Raiden is slow-walking

Yeah, Hammerheads is what I missed

ravenlord

Banned
A glitch or tip for you

i discovered yesterday, when i was hopeless with no nanopaste left :D

When you find a nanopaste ( i got it from a item box), enter the customization screen. Then, return back to game again. Bingo...

Item box is its initial state there with item in it..Get it and repeat this...When you have full nanopastes, then go on your mission :D

Good luck

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ha, seems like you weren't disappointed by all the hype.
Staying out of the thread truly helped, probably.

But that one battle had everything I liked about the game. I haven't fought a final boss with a smile on my face for portions of it in a while. Maybe even years. I do think there are some things that should/could be tweaked, but otherwise, it was an excellent cap for an excellent game. I was genuinely entertained. And I liked how different boss weapons worked in this game overall. Would've loved for the game to have been longer towards the end, but that's okay. I had tons of fun with the final boss. Everything about it made up for the length of the previous two chapters.

And the soundtrack is fucking amazing. SotY contender here, for sure, now that I've heard all of it and got the vocal tracks album too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Staying out of the thread truly helped, probably.

But that one battle had everything I liked about the game. I haven't fought a final boss with a smile on my face for portions of it in a while. Maybe even years. I do think there are some things that should/could be tweaked, but otherwise, it was an excellent cap for an excellent game. I was genuinely entertained. And I liked how different boss weapons worked in this game overall. Would've loved for the game to have been longer towards the end, but that's okay. I had tons of fun with the final boss. Everything about it made up for the length of the previous two chapters.

And the soundtrack is fucking amazing. SotY contender here, for sure, now that I've heard all of it and got the vocal tracks album too.

The soundtrack elevated so many moments to pure greatness. I'm a huge fan of the last boss, it's also accompanied by my favorite song in the game.

noffles

Banned
Favourite music for me was easily
Metal Gear Excelsus'
boss music. It builds hype at the absolute perfect moments in the best ways possible.

No damage on Monsoon isn't too tough once you know his tricks. You only have to deal with blocking his attacks before the first junk phase at around 67% and when he hits 40%. The pincer blades will deal with everything else.

Yeah, it wasn't that bad actually. I had to do it twice because the first time I got to the end QTE and didn't hit it fast enough or something. But after that I realized I wouldn't have gotten the S rank anyway because I didn't realize the part where Raiden has to walk slowly through the area before the boss was a ranked battle

N30RYU

Yeah, it wasn't that bad actually. I had to do it twice because the first time I got to the end QTE and didn't hit it fast enough or something. But after that I realized I wouldn't have gotten the S rank anyway because I didn't realize the part where Raiden has to walk slowly through the area before the boss was a ranked battle
Is worst to have an S than kill him with no damage... I killed him fast enough to not get a high combo... and ended getting a A... mess the fight 3 times (replayed all the chapter) till I noticed the easy 1000 extra point if you let him go for the pillar and you zandatsu two foes...

Favourite music for me was easily
Metal Gear Excelsus'
boss music. It builds hype at the absolute perfect moments in the best ways possible.

THE FIRES OF GREED WILL BURRRRRN THE WEEEEEAK

Monsoon's theme was the most hype to me, the theme began and I was like ''Oh shit, I heard he was one of the hardest, shit shit shit! OK GO!'' :p

My brain and fingers always go into fast forward on that fight. So fucking hype.

Jintor

The soundtrack elevated so many moments to pure greatness. I'm a huge fan of the last boss, it's also accompanied by my favorite song in the game.

I'm so goddamn glad I have my 5.1 set up correctly and I got it for the PS which is actually plugged into my receiver.

Top Bottom