• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Can't you just make a new file and use the Konami Code to unlock the higher difficulties?

You can. You don't even need the Konami code since Hard is unlocked from the start

but to get the title on that save you have to do the run on that save. Through New Game.

So it all depends on what you want to do. Do you just want to do it to say you did it or do you want a complete set of titles on one save

raven777

Finished the game for the first time in normal difficulty.

Man...what a ride! It was one of the most intense gaming experiences I had in a while!

And I was skeptical about the soundtrack before I played the game, but it was just brilliant when I actually played it. The boss fight musics were incredible!

I hope the sequel (hopefully we get one!) improves minor issues I had with the game.

I must say, I was a bit disappointed with some of the boss fights, like the sundowner.

I will probably try out the next difficulty.

Mike M

Nick N
Still missing a bunch of VR missions, data files, and a few hands. I think it's time to turn to a guide. Should just be able to see which specific items are missing in the collection screen and look it up, right? Any guides with that level of detail out yet?

Beat R-00 on Very Hard to unlock the Suit skin. Fucking awesome reward, but chriiiiiiiist do I suck at that Ray encounter. "Go for the feet!" But Boris, the camera pans up when I run towards the feet, and then it fucking jumps to the other side of the map after a few hits.

Yeah, I know, bait then parry the stomp, tail swip, and charging attack, but I can't figure out the right distance and he never stops shooting g so I'm always ninja running to deflect bullets so I can't just stand still.

Raxus

R03 is in the bag. Just have the lobby fight and the final boss as my final headaches.

P.S. Singing Monsoon's theme improves your fighting style with him I guarantee it. MY DREAMS DISAPPEARERERERERERERERERER.
Still missing a bunch of VR missions, data files, and a few hands. I think it's time to turn to a guide. Should just be able to see which specific items are missing in the collection screen and look it up, right? Any guides with that level of detail out yet?

Beat R-00 on Very Hard to unlock the Suit skin. Fucking awesome reward, but chriiiiiiiist do I suck at that Ray encounter. "Go for the feet!" But Boris, the camera pans up when I run towards the feet, and then it fucking jumps to the other side of the map after a few hits.

Yeah, I know, bait then parry the stomp, tail swip, and charging attack, but I can't figure out the right distance and he never stops shooting g so I'm always ninja running to deflect bullets so I can't just stand still.
Yes all collectibles are listed in the order they appear. Otherwise it would have been impossible for me to identify if I got the data storage #16 from the elevator. I usually rely on trophy/achievement sites to help me with collectibles and specific challenges.

As far as Ray goes you can also parry his orange headbutts. Probably the easiest way to take out his head and two arm cannons.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
MGR's week 2 performance in the UK saw the game drop to the #3 position (debuted at #2) and had a 60% drop off from first week sales.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/04/crysis-3-keeps-its-cool-to-top-uk-charts-for-second-week/

Considering the genre, a 60% dropoff is actually pretty impressive. Most hack-and-slashers usually drop off somewhere in the high 70%'s or somewhere in the 80% area. I'm curious if this will happen with the Japan sales as well.

Hmm, I'm still antsy to see how it performed in the U.S. Any indication of how big the drop was for DmC from Week 1 to Week 2?

Sephzilla

Hmm, I'm still antsy to see how it performed in the U.S. Any indication of how big the drop was for DmC from Week 1 to Week 2?

I dont know about the US sales but DmC dropped off like 80 some percent everywhere else in the world from week 1 to week 2 and it was completely irrelevant on sales charts by week 4. If MGR somehow only has a 60% dropoff in Japan for week 2, that will be slightly miraculous. Hack and slashers are usually super front loaded and week 2 sales are almost always in the high 70%'s with dropoffs.

MGR is probably going to have a huge dropoff next week though, God of War comes out then.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

65% I think, and slumped to #4 with nothing new out alongside it.

Its astonishing what Platinum achieved in a 12-18 month dev cycle compared to a more traditional 3-4 year one.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I dont know about the US sales but DmC dropped off like 80 some percent everywhere else in the world from week 1 to week 2 and it was completely irrelevant on sales charts by week 4. If MGR somehow only has a 60% dropoff in Japan for week 2, that will be slightly miraculous. Hack and slashers are usually super front loaded and week 2 sales are almost always in the high 70%'s with dropoffs.

MGR is probably going to have a huge dropoff next week though, God of War comes out then.

65% I think, and slumped to #4 with nothing new out alongside it.

Gotcha. And yeah, there was significantly less competition in January, too.

jett

D-Member
mgr15zxlh.jpg

mgr2vfbjy.jpg

platoong1ktg.jpg

Sephzilla

Gotcha. And yeah, there was significantly less competition in January, too.

Yeah, the only competition DmC had was No-Ni-Kuni, which is arguably even more niche. MGR came out right in the middle of the Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, God of War run.

@Jett
Sweet mercy man.

Now, go for the personal satisfaction of S-Ranking every mode.

jett

D-Member
@jett Congrats!
do you kinda know how many hours in total you spend getting dat platinum trophy?

The save file says 43:40 but it took me undoubtedly much more than that, considering the thousands of restarts and reloading backup saves.

VR Missions was the worst. I thankfully lucked out on Mission 17 on my last attempt. The raptors killed the Gekko with their own missiles and I trapped them both in a corner with the rockets, lulz.

jett

D-Member
Congrats, Jett. Argh, I've still got the VR Missions and Codec Conversations left...

Yeah, I wasn't really going to go for Platinum until I got the codec trophy. That shit is just bullshit. :p But once I got that...I just had to go for it.

I guess all that's left now is waiting for DLC or some shit, maybe doing a low% run in hard mode without items or upgrades, dunno. I'm gonna take a break from MGR. :p

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, I wasn't really going to go for Platinum until I got the codec trophy. That shit is just bullshit. :p But once I got that...I just had to go for it.

I guess all that's left now is waiting for DLC or some shit, maybe doing a low% run in hard mode without items or upgrades, dunno. I'm gonna take a break from MGR. :p

For the codec conversations, I know that you need to talk with everyone with pretty much every story development, every new enemy, every new weapon, and every new area, but are there any event specific ones that I need to trigger? Kind of like cutting off the civilian's clothes?

jett

D-Member
For the codec conversations, I know that you need to talk with everyone with pretty much every story development, every new enemy, every new weapon, and every new area, but are there any event specific ones that I need to trigger? Kind of like cutting off the civilian's clothes?

Yeah those get you new dialogues too. Also, calling before saving the civilian, after you've saved him. Or if he died. Doktor will say random shit at the beginning of R-04 in the lobby as well. You just have to call as often as possible until all dialogues are exhausted. Don't forget calling between different stages during a boss fight. Like Sam for instance.
At the start, after he loses his sword, and after he gets it back.
New dialogues for each.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah those get you new dialogues too. Also, calling before saving the civilian, after you've saved him. Or if he died. Doktor will say random shit at the beginning of R-04 in the lobby as well. You just have to call as often as possible until all dialogues are exhausted. Don't forget calling between different stages during a boss fight. Like Sam for instance.
At the start, after he loses his sword, and after he gets it back.
New dialogues for each.

Okay, thanks. I've already done a lot of codec conversations naturally. I talked with the group a lot on my second playthrough just to hear what they say. I felt like I got most of them, but obviously not. I'm sure there were just times when I was too hype and entirely forgot to call them.

Raxus

Okay, thanks. I've already done a lot of codec conversations naturally. I talked with the group a lot on my second playthrough just to hear what they say. I felt like I got most of them, but obviously not. I'm sure there were just times when I was too hype and entirely forgot to call them.

Yeah you just have to listen to the 400 of the 540 conversations if people are to be believed but you gotta call often. I need to do one more run through for codecs alone. Problem is every time I get to a boss I forget to call because you can't use the codec while running (stupid) and I get in the zone and kill the boss.

VR 18 was terrible with that camera. i don't know why anybody would think this was a good idea. my time was 3:52.

just 19 left. i hope it's not worse.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
VR 18 was terrible with that camera. i don't know why anybody would think this was a good idea. my time was 3:52.

3:52? Isn't the Gold time for that Mission 10:00?

I've yet to reach the upper levels of frustration in VR Missions. I've only completed up to Mission 12 or so.

Thats actually what happend to me. I was stuck on 18 for about 5 days. But when i finally beat it, my time was about 3:30, with 10min being gold. At that point i set out to gold every mission. Turned out to be way easier than i initially thought.

yea, i just hid behind the hammer guys. sometimes the wolf will kill them with his ridiculous overpowered blasts.
Thats another thing. When the wolf throws his 3 little knives, hide behind the hammer guys. It instantly kills them.

Neiteio

I keep replaying the Ray battle (and then exiting out because of the scripted train stuff, lol).

The battle is so much more than music-synced QTE brilliance. I love parrying his stomp attack... His head-butt... His tail whip. You feel god-like countering each move, then leaping a mile high to hack away at his armor or guns in slow-motion. Outrunning his plasma beam, hacking through missiles or deflecting bullets -- all awesome.

Hell of a start to the game. Here's hoping the Ray battle in Sam's DLC lives up to it.

I also think Sundowner is a better battle than most give him credit for. You can circle-dodge him and whittle away at his health from behind -- even launch him and do some juggling -- but I like the risk-reward element of trying to break his shields, and the second half, where he pulls out the pincer blades and swings the pillars, is epic in the rain.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I also think Sundowner is a better battle than most give him credit for. You can circle-dodge him and whittle away at his health from behind -- even launch him and do some juggling -- but I like the risk-reward element of trying to break his shields, and the second half, where he pulls out the pincer blades and swings the pillars, is epic in the rain.

The problem is that most people never see his second form at all.

Neiteio

The problem is that most people never see his second form at all.
I think I played him the way the devs expected. At first I tried breaking his shields -- I saw I had to align the targets but kept nicking the explosive armor. So I tried attacking him from behind, but it took too long. So I went back to trying to break his shields, and this time succeeded... yet it didn't seem to disable them. Then I realized what I needed to do beyond simply cutting the targets. And so I finally got him to his second phase.

I had died many times by this point, when before I had been beating every boss in one try. Sam then took me even longer (I wasn't aware how to pull off Ripper Mode at the time), and the final boss even longer. So really, each boss was more of a challenge than the last -- the first time I played, at least.

Mike M

Nick N
There's a second form?

/facetious

Sundowner is ludicrously easy to trap in a loop. He raises the shield, you get behind him for free hits, he takes one easily parried swipe with the shields, jumps back, repeats the process when you get up to him again.

Neiteio

After a half-dozen playthroughs, I'm now at the point where I'm trying to figure out which level I like to replay "just for fun." I like all of them, see, but it's hard to find that one level that has everything.

R-01 is probaby the ticket, with Bladewolf and Mistral, not to mention lots of Gekkos and Hammerheads. But even then, I'm trying to figure out the right equipment-to-challenge ratio -- maybe Hard/Very Hard, with my HF Blade or Sam's sword, and no wigs. I've memorized all of the maps now, and could more or less tell you every set-piece in the order it happens. It's all about trying to not outright demolish the maps now, lol.

BRING ON THE DLC, I SAY!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Sephzilla

i didn't know how to cut his shield with my button slices. that's why i haven't seen his second form yet.

I use manual cuts for Sundowner for a couple of reasons.

1) It seems like your first button-press slice in Blade Mode is always horizontal.
2) Sundowner seems to use vertical slice patterns in his shield a lot more than horizontal.

Roto13

I use manual cuts for Sundowner for a couple of reasons.

1) It seems like your first button-press slice in Blade Mode is always horizontal.
2) Sundowner seems to use vertical slice patterns in his shield a lot more than horizontal.

3) Mashing buttons in blade mode is for losers.

maks

I beat very hard for my 2nd play through. Great progression in Difficulty. They know how to do it right.

I was missing several items but cleaned it up on my very hard run with the help of a guide. I love how they hid collectibles and fights.

maks

The best guide out there I found was at trueachievements.com. Better than piggyback book, xboxachievments, and ps3trophies.

Sephzilla

*sigh*

Some kid on another site is trying to say that MGR is only selling well because it has the Metal Gear name on it, and that DmC is selling well for a reboot.

Kids these days.... I swear....

Top Bottom