• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I really like this game, but ultimately you notice what the short dev time resulted in and how there are simple fixes to unfortunate problems.

Like, only some enemies give audio cues, when they should be giving visual and audio cues when they're about to attack.

Or how some enemies are designed around the let's say less than stellar camera to dash off screen and make you guess where to parry from. This often isn't a problem, but can occasionally get annoying.

The scoring system is just kind of terrible. You can screw yourself over by going stealth and sometimes even prevent a grade from coming up. Characters often admonish you for not just sneaking in when it's easier, more fun, and higher-scoring to just fight everyone in a group.

I think the chapter selection is pretty bad. Levels should have either been split up or they should have allowed you, after beating a level, to go in to levels at certain junctures. If I just want to fight the spare Mistral and Monsoon bodies, having to fight up the entire way seems silly.

Overall I think the game is really, really good and am understanding of the short development time, but I wish these things were fixed. I do kind of feel like Kamiya would have noticed these things if he were on the project and it speaks to how important a strong director can be.

Kamiya would have put an unskippable 10 minute long motorcycle sequence before the Sam fight in Chapter 6.

(Jokes aside, I pretty much agree with your comments.)

Zen

Banned
Nah the stealth should be expanded on through smart level design and enemies not have a silly 180 cone of vision. It adds a lot of options to the experience, and absolutely should not be discarded, just fixed. MGRising is still a Metal gear game afterall. And Metal Gear games have always given you the option between stealth and Rambo.

demidar

Kamiya would have put an unskippable 10 minute long motorcycle sequence before the Sam fight in Chapter 6.

(Jokes aside, I pretty much agree with your comments.)

I fucking love Kamiya but even he makes some missteps, like those mandatory vehicle sequences. Should be skippable after the first time because while it's a nice diversion, that's not what most of the dev time is spent refining, and the imbalance can completely destroy the momentum of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I fucking love Kamiya but even he makes some missteps, like those mandatory vehicle sequences. Should be skippable after the first time because while it's a nice diversion, that's not what most of the dev time is spent refining, and the imbalance can completely destroy the momentum of the game.

I played some Angel Slayer mode the other day and realized I was still one trophy away from Platinum because of the fucking Space Harrier stage. Kaaaamiiiyaaaa!!!

do kind of feel like Kamiya would have noticed these things if he were on the project and it speaks to how important a strong director can be.

That doesn't really seem fair- correct me if I'm wrong* but despite a much longer development time, you can't select individual battles in Bayonetta. Sure there are more boss-only Chapters (hell there is a lot more content in general) but one of the most common complaints about Bayonetta is having to go through the Space Harrier segment to get to one of the best boss fights in the game. And just like you can screw yourself on score in Rising for going stealth, you screw your score in Bayonetta for missing or skipping optional Verses in a Chapter.

I agree with you complaints but I think the truncated dev time easily explains just about all of the issues. I doubt it would have been much different under Kamiya if the schedule was the same.

*I'm about to beat Bayonetta tonight for the first time so maybe this stuff unlocks on Hard Mode and above but based on what I've read it doesn't.

Sephzilla

I really like this game, but ultimately you notice what the short dev time resulted in and how there are simple fixes to unfortunate problems.

Like, only some enemies give audio cues, when they should be giving visual and audio cues when they're about to attack.

Or how some enemies are designed around the let's say less than stellar camera to dash off screen and make you guess where to parry from. This often isn't a problem, but can occasionally get annoying.

The scoring system is just kind of terrible. You can screw yourself over by going stealth and sometimes even prevent a grade from coming up. Characters often admonish you for not just sneaking in when it's easier, more fun, and higher-scoring to just fight everyone in a group.

I think the chapter selection is pretty bad. Levels should have either been split up or they should have allowed you, after beating a level, to go in to levels at certain junctures. If I just want to fight the spare Mistral and Monsoon bodies, having to fight up the entire way seems silly.

Overall I think the game is really, really good and am understanding of the short development time, but I wish these things were fixed. I do kind of feel like Kamiya would have noticed these things if he were on the project and it speaks to how important a strong director can be.

Pretty fair complaints I say. The only thing I can really comment on is the chapter selection. I honestly cant immediately remember many games that have that level of detail in their chapter select options, so MGR feels very par for the course in that regard to me. DMC3 & 4 similarly made you go from the start of a level. Plus it's not like MGRs levels are super long, assuming you know what you are doing.

MGR definitely has a couple of rough edges here and there, I'm just a little more forgiving about it because MGR has other bigger elements that are extremely solid. I just think that if we get an MGR2 (which seems like a forgone conclusion at this point), they'll get more time to polish up everything.

Gameplay is almost perfect, just needs more content and a better camera. While I think it's not so bad as some want it to sound. Or I'm hardened through hundreds of hours in Ninja Gaiden Black and 2.

TedNindo

I didn't think I would pick it up because it looked and felt off for a Metal Gear game. It was an all other level of over the topness. A different tone. And I didn't like where they were going with Raiden's character. Even though I like Platinum.

I really didn't like the fact that someone else was screwing around with the universe. I would have been sceptical of any developer other then kojiPro because it just wouldn't be the same.

I could still somehow not, not get it because of it being Metal Gear lol. I went to the store to get an eShop card and I ended up buying Rising.

And it ended up being some kind of weird mix of both. It is a lot of things that a KojiPro MG game isn't.

For one, it doesn't have the same amount of insane polish you get from KojiPro. The graphics aren't anything special. It runs really well. But the textures aren't all that great. The world isn't that detailed. Isn't interactive. There isn't much interesting to find. There's only a lot of filler props that you see over and over that are sliceable.
The insane mainline MGS production values just aren't there. It's obvious.

But at the same time the themes are very Metal Gear just stylized in a different way. It's like they had the whole story and settings worked out. Had background stories worked out and everything. Platinum just turned the dail up to 11. Everything is badassified.

The opening of the game was completely balls to the wall crazy. It was 100% Platinum with some Metal Gear sprinkled onto it. But when the pace slowed down after a while Metal Gear did start to shine through. I hated the characters at first. The cutscenes are NOTHING like an MGS game. But after going through the codec messages for a while ( And there are many ) I did somewhat warm up to them. The topics talked about felt a lot like Metal Gear. Even though the messages less context sensitive towards your actions and more towards the story.
But they did do a good job at explaining what the world looked like after MGS4 giving the game more context.

There are A LOT of codec messages though. If you listen to all of them levels take 3 times longer to complete lol.

I like the game overal. It's a great action game. And the over the top balls to the wall sequences just put a huge grin on my face. And you feel like a total badass playing. The gameplay is fantastic as to be expected from Platinum. I only felt that the stealth sequences were incredibly forced and janky. They were just in there to make it more like Metal Gear. And a lot of small things to make it more MGS just aren't that well executed imo. like the grenades and stuff. It more often feels like they are giving a nod to MG rather then being part of the series. I have to mention that the camera also isn't all that great.

It's a great game overal though. But it's not a good MG game imo. It's a lot of stupid fun though that sometimes hits a more serious note. There are some serious real world issues being adressed in this game that you would never expect from it after that intro. And this is possibly the game that is the most critical about the US that I've ever played lol.

demidar

I didn't think I would pick it up because it looked and felt off for a Metal Gear game. An all other level of over the topness. A different tone. And I didn't like where they were going with Raiden's character. Even though I like Platinum.

I really didn't like the fact that someone else was screwing around with the universe. I would have been sceptical of any developer other then kojiPro because it just wouldn't be the same.

I could still somehow not, not get it because of it being Metal Gear lol. I went to the store to get an eShop card and I ended up buying Rising.

And it ended up being some kind of weird mix of both. It is a lot of things that a KojiPro MG games isn't.

For one, it doesn't have the same amount of insane polish you get from KojiPro. The graphics aren't anything special. It runs really well. But the textures aren't all that great. The world isn't that detailed. Isn't interactive. There isn't much interesting to find. There's only a lot of filler props that you see over and over that are sliceable.

But at the same time the themes are very Metal Gear just stylized in a different way. It's like they had the whole story and settings worked out. Had background stories worked out and everything and Platinum just turned the dail up to 11. Everything is badassified.

The opening of the game was completely balls to the wall crazy. It was 100% Platinum with some Metal Gear sprinkled onto it. But when the pace slowed down after a while Metal Gear did start to shine through. I hated the characters at first but after going through the codec messages for a while ( And there are many ) I did somewhat warm up to them. The topics talked about felt a lot like Metal Gear. Even though the messages less context sensitive towards your actions and more towards the story.
But they did do a good job at explaining what the world looked like after MGS4 giving the game more context.

There are A LOT of codec messages though. If you listen to all of them levels take 3 times longer to complete lol.

I like the game overal. It's a great action game. And the over the top balls to the wall sequences just put a huge grin on my face. And you feel like a total badass playing. The gameplay is fantastic as to be expected from Platinum. I only felt that the stealth sequences were incredibly forced and janky. They were just in there to make it more like Metal Gear. And a lot of small things to make it more MGS just aren't that well executed imo. like the grenades and stuff. It more often feels like they are giving a nod to MG rather then being part of the series. I have to mention that the camera also isn't all that great.

It's a great game overal though. But it's not a good MG game imo. It's a lot of stupid fun though that sometimes hits a more serious note. There are some serious real world issues being adressed in this game that you would never expect from it after that intro. And this is possibly the game that is the most critical about the US that I've ever played lol.

I'd put all the problems down as limited development time. Platinum Games was handed a completely mangled tech demo and were told to make a game out of it under super-strict deadlines. They succeeded but some facets of the game aren't completely polished due to the expedited development.

A MGR2 that's given proper time and resources would be a beautiful thing to behold.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I didn't think I would pick it up because it looked and felt off for a Metal Gear game. It was an all other level of over the topness. A different tone. And I didn't like where they were going with Raiden's character. Even though I like Platinum.

And it ended up being some kind of weird mix of both. It is a lot of things that a KojiPro MG game isn't.

But at the same time the themes are very Metal Gear just stylized in a different way. It's like they had the whole story and settings worked out. Had background stories worked out and everything. Platinum just turned the dail up to 11. Everything is badassified.

The opening of the game was completely balls to the wall crazy. It was 100% Platinum with some Metal Gear sprinkled onto it. But when the pace slowed down after a while Metal Gear did start to shine through. I hated the characters at first but after going through the codec messages for a while ( And there are many ) I did somewhat warm up to them. The topics talked about felt a lot like Metal Gear. Even though the messages less context sensitive towards your actions and more towards the story.

Glad you gave it a shot and liked it. I think that with some more time, the game would have been more polished, but I don't think you'd ever see the same level of interactivity as a traditional Metal Gear Solid title. It's just a different beast altogether. Frankly, it had more MGS elements than I thought it would. You can really tell that Platinum games studied the moves of Raiden in MGS4, and integrated what they could into the animations of both him and the enemies.

MGR and MGS can co-exist since they're so different, and canonically they barely grazed each other.

Sephzilla

Glad you ended up liking the game.

Regarding it not being a good MG game... I dunno, is it even really fair to compare them? What I mean is that MGR is really trying to be something different from the other games all-together (thus why it's a spinoff and not a MGS title). In terms of story and characters honestly the whole experience still feels very Metal Gear-ish to me.

jett

D-Member
Metal Gear this is not, but I was surprised how many MGS idiosyncrasies it has. Doesn't feel foreign to the rest of the series, to me anyway. And the production values seemed high to me, considering. It has some technical issues but it is an expertly crafted game from top to bottom overall.

LaneDS

I'd put all the problems down as limited development time. Platinum Games was handed a completely mangled tech demo and were told to make a game out of it under super-strict deadlines. They succeeded but some facets of the game aren't completely polished due to the expedited development.

A MGR2 that's given proper time and resources would be a beautiful thing to behold.

I'd say all or most of the problems minus the ones he mentions in regards to the story/characters/presentation. Those felt so un-KojiPro and so distinctly Platinum that I don't think more development time would have fixed that (if you're one of the people, like me, that would like to even see that "fixed" in a sequel). Personally I'd like to see a sequel where KojiPro handles the plot and characters (and maybe some art assets since Shinkawa is always on point), but aside from that letting Platinum handle the gameplay entirely. That'd be my ideal, but any sequel with Platinum involved is pretty much assured to be fantastic even if it's as ridiculous as the first.

demidar

I'd say all or most of the problems minus the ones he mentions in regards to the story/characters/presentation. Those felt so un-KojiPro and so distinctly Platinum that I don't think more development time would have fixed that (if you're one of the people, like me, that would like to even see that "fixed" in a sequel). Personally I'd like to see a sequel where KojiPro handles the plot and characters (and maybe some art assets since Shinkawa is always on point), but aside from that letting Platinum handle the gameplay entirely. That'd be my ideal, but any sequel with Platinum involved is pretty much assured to be fantastic even if it's as ridiculous as the first.

Well even though it bears the Metal Gear name and has some of the hallmarks of one, it inhabits its own bubble of continuity. Those looking for more Metal Gear Solid canon can look forward to Ground Zeroes.

Sephzilla

Any tips for Monsoon no damage?

Get ready to do all of the parries.

I actually got my no-damage trophy off of him this weekend.

He'll always do a "Y" pose before he does his smoke-bomb deployment, make sure to be careful when he does this because the actual smoke bomb explosion hurts you.

Any time you see him getting close to do a combo attack to you, if you don't feel very confident in your parry skills then just mash parry as much as you can. When he does his huge spinning tank-wheel attack, you can parry that attack and after the second parry you can use blade mode to destroy it.

When he does his Dhalsim attack to you, you can throw an EM Grenade out and get a parry off before his first attack hits you (but you'll still have to parry the initial attack). Honestly I think if you can get through his Dhalsim attack damage-free you're pretty much home free at that point.

Beyond that it's just learning his patterns.

Personally I'd like to see a sequel where KojiPro handles the plot and characters (and maybe some art assets since Shinkawa is always on point), but aside from that letting Platinum handle the gameplay entirely. That'd be my ideal, but any sequel with Platinum involved is pretty much assured to be fantastic even if it's as ridiculous as the first.

Doesn't that describe MGR1? I thought Kojipro handled the writing and cinematics (though not Kojima himself obviously) and I believe the game also uses some of the Shinkawa designs from the aborted Kojipro attempts at the game.

Carbonox

Get ready to do all of the parries.

I actually got my no-damage trophy off of him this weekend.

He'll always do a "Y" pose before he does his smoke-bomb deployment, make sure to be careful when he does this because the actual smoke bomb explosion hurts you.

Any time you see him getting close to do a combo attack to you, if you don't feel very confident in your parry skills then just mash parry as much as you can. When he does his huge spinning tank-wheel attack, you can parry that attack and after the second parry you can use blade mode to destroy it.

When he does his Dhalsim attack to you, you can throw an EM Grenade out and get a parry off before his first attack hits you (but you'll still have to parry the initial attack). Honestly I think if you can get through his Dhalsim attack damage-free you're pretty much home free at that point.

Beyond that it's just learning his patterns.

wut

I ran away from that every time. :lol

With the Dhalsim attack I just jumped in the air and spammed light attack to float so I don't get hit.

But yeah, with Monsoon no-damage, you need to parry like a king.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
wut

I ran away from that every time. :lol

With the Dhalsim attack I just jumped in the air and spammed light attack to float so I don't get hit.

But yeah, with Monsoon no-damage, you need to parry like a king.

lol, wow, I didn't know you could avoid the Dhalsim limb that way. Yeah, the LORENTZ FORCE can be parried.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
You really feel like a boss though when you can consistently parry him though.

I kept screwing it up early on, so I just decided to do the following instead:

Parry the first hit, cancel into Offensive Defense, parry another hit, cancel into Offensive Defense, then parry the last hit. You get two slashes on him for your troubles, too.

Carbonox

You really feel like a boss though when you can consistently parry him though.

This is true. It wasn't actually until my no-damage run with Monsoon that - after all the runs through the game I did prior - blocking and parrying enemy combos finally clicked.

It's really highlighted in the Sam fight too.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's actually pretty generous... moreso than I thought. Watching Max's playthrough, on one of the cuts, it looked like they only had 1 of the 4 highlighted, but the cut was still in the same general angle, so it was successful.

I've been saying this but still want to go back and double check some more. I could swear I've made a cut that hit zero of the red markers and still counted, as long as it is in the same angle. So a straight across cut that's a chunk below the line worked.

I might have just been going crazy due to the music, but it hasn't been strict for me. Unlike sundowner's shield panels where it's much more precise to not hit a panel while cutting.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've been stuck on VR Missions 17, 18, and 19 for five days now. Not even getting top ranking, just completing them. I want to get back to the parts of the game that are actually fun but I'm determined to suffer through these first. Playing the real game again will feel so good after this shit.

Sephzilla

This is true. It wasn't actually until my no-damage run with Monsoon that - after all the runs through the game I did prior - blocking and parrying enemy combos finally clicked.

The best payoff of the Sam fight is when you time a parry properly on him and watch the counter attack take off almost half of his health. Granted, it immediately sends Sam into "f*cking pissed" mode, but still.

Carbonox

I've been stuck on VR Missions 17, 18, and 19 for five days now. Not even getting top ranking, just completing them. I want to get back to the parts of the game that are actually fun but I'm determined to suffer through these first. Playing the real game again will feel so good after this shit.

I'm in the EXACT same boat. I can't even complete those three, with 17 and 18 proving to be utter bullshit. So frustrating that it's sapped out all the excitement I had for returning to this game. Now I dread to fire up my PS3. D:

I noticed a lot of people saying stuff like this and it has me figuring that I'm parrying completely wrong as well. Maybe the game explained it better or maybe I should RTFM, but I'm assuming that just defending against the enemy attack isn't the 100% proper parry technique? I noticed in the parry tutorial that every successful parry ended up with a QTE/Zandatsu. Is this always the case? Trying to figure out what the hell I'm doing wrong. I'm just supposed to hit forward and Square on time with the enemy hit right?

Not blaming the game for not teaching it better - it's probably explained pretty clearly and I wasn't paying attention. This is the dude who didn't realize you have a Dodge skill even after unlocking it and realizing that there are unblockable enemy attacks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, what's the idea behind no-damaging Monsoon? Even parrying his attacks he somehow breaks through my guard/parries with a smoke bomb (dodge that) or off-camera attack. FFFFFF.

jett

D-Member
So, what's the idea behind no-damaging Monsoon? Even parrying his attacks he somehow breaks through my guard/parries with a smoke bomb (dodge that) or off-camera attack. FFFFFF.

Monsoon is probably the most complicated to no damage.

1.- You can skip the smoke bombs if you drop his health to 70% at the beginning of the fight. You can only do this with the Pincer Blades and you have to be damn good at dodging/dodge offset. If you can't do this I suggest you get good at parrying his smoke bomb phase. It's not that hard.

2.- After you drop his health to 40% be ready to equip the sais.

3.- The next hard part is when he throws his arms at you with his sais. Here you must have a purpled-charged sai. First parry all of his first hand's attacks(hopefully you'll get a counter parry to speed up the process), then throw the sai to stagger him. I like to use charged pincer blades on this guy because they do the most damage. Just remember to unleash them when the body is rejoining the head.

That's about it, really.

360 and PS3 version of Rising look almost identical besides some missing shadows in the 360 version and the super compressed cutscenes.
The 360 version is missing a few shadows, but the shadows in the 360 version are much smoother from a distance. Also having played the 360 version in 720p the cutscenes are not "super compressed". The PS3 cutscenes are a lot more crisp, but the 360 version cutscenes still look really good.

demidar

Monsoon is probably the most complicated to no damage.

1.- You can skip the smoke bombs if you drop his health to 70% at the beginning of the fight. You can only do this with the Pincer Blades and you have to be damn good at dodging/dodge offset. If you can't do this I suggest you get good at parrying his smoke bomb phase. It's not that hard.

2.- After you drop his health to 40% be ready to equip the sais.

3.- The next hard part is when he throws his arms at you with his sais. Here you must have a purpled-charged sai. First parry all of his first hand's attacks(hopefully you'll get a counter parry to speed up the process), then throw the sai to stagger him. I like to use charged pincer blades on this guy because they do the most damage. Just remember to unleash them when the body is rejoining the head.

That's about it, really.

Ah that's a good strat for phase 3. I always just parried and tossed an EM grenade when I could or try to Slice Dodge out of the way.

LaneDS

Doesn't that describe MGR1? I thought Kojipro handled the writing and cinematics (though not Kojima himself obviously) and I believe the game also uses some of the Shinkawa designs from the aborted Kojipro attempts at the game.

My understanding was that Platinum took a lot of what KojiPro worked on and tossed it out the window to fit their design ideas, which certainly makes sense given what they had to work with and timetables. I believe the original idea was that the game was set between MGS2 and MGS4, and somewhere along the line it became something set after MGS4.

It for sure uses a lot of work from KojiPro, but the story and presentation seem heavily Platinum'd to me.

demidar said:
Well even though it bears the Metal Gear name and has some of the hallmarks of one, it inhabits its own bubble of continuity. Those looking for more Metal Gear Solid canon can look forward to Ground Zeroes.

That's not really fair though, since it is the canonical extension of MGS. Even if I loved MGR (and I did) I didn't like how now in the MGS lore there exist characters as ridiculous as Raiden and the last boss (among others). I get the whole proliferation of technology hidden by the Patriots thing, but now it seems like the world has no place for spectacular humans like Solid Snake (clone or not).

Again, not really complaining since I'm on my fifth playthrough and think the game is top-notch, but I'd like to see the sequel have a story and characters as awesome as some of the MGS games if at all possible (matched with Platinum gameplay).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ah that's a good strat for phase 3. I always just parried and tossed an EM grenade when I could or try to Slice Dodge out of the way.

Yeah, I did the same. Parried both sai, ran around to avoid the legs, then EMP'd his face.

But man, several times when the vocals kick in, things got so hype and I would screw up the Dhalsim parry and get a sai in the face. Start. Restart. A look of disgust on my face at coming so far to miss such an easy parry.

Again, not really complaining since I'm on my fifth playthrough and think the game is top-notch, but I'd like to see the sequel have a story and characters as awesome as some of the MGS games if at all possible (matched with Platinum gameplay).

Story, maybe, but as far as characters? I'd take Mistral, Sam, Sundowner, and Monsoon over any boss in MGS2... yes, that includes Solidus, despite that being an unpopular opinion, or MGS4.

My understanding was that Platinum took a lot of what KojiPro worked on and tossed it out the window to fit their design ideas, which certainly makes sense given what they had to work with and timetables. I believe the original idea was that the game was set between MGS2 and MGS4, and somewhere along the line it became something set after MGS4.

It for sure uses a lot of work from KojiPro, but the story and presentation seem heavily Platinum'd to me.

That's not really fair though, since it is the canonical extension of MGS. Even if I loved MGR (and I did) I didn't like how now in the MGS lore there exist characters as ridiculous as Raiden and the last boss (among others). I get the whole proliferation of technology hidden by the Patriots thing, but now it seems like the world has no place for spectacular humans like Solid Snake (clone or not).

The story was handled by Kojipro. Platinum did add some things, like Raiden throwing Ray.

With there being characters as ridiculous asRaiden, it only made sense post MGS4 with the spread of cybernetics.
Story, maybe, but as far as characters? I'd take Mistral, Sam, Sundowner, and Monsoon over any boss in MGS2... yes, that includes Solidus, despite that being an unpopular opinion, or MGS4.
As far as plot and characters I think this game is much better than MGS4, but still not as good as MGS3.

Sephzilla

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard wasn't Rising technically non-canon to the normal lore? (This might have changed, who knows).

Honestly, Raiden does some pretty over the top things in MGS4 as well. Such as swinging Gecko's around with his legs or stopping Outer Haven with one arm. So honestly I dont think the stuff he does in Revengeance is that out of place.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but last I heard wasn't Rising technically non-canon to the normal lore? (This might have changed, who knows).

Honestly, Raiden does some pretty over the top things in MGS4 as well. Such as swinging Gecko's around with his legs or stopping Outer Haven with one arm. So honestly I dont think the stuff he does in Revengeance is that out of place.
It is confirmed to be canon.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
As far as plot and characters I think this game is much better than MGS4, but still not as good as MGS3.

See, for me, it's not so clear cut.

The bosses in MGR actually really remind me a lot of MGS1's bosses. Individual with unique special abilities and a lot of buildup to the final encounters with them. I'd say that MGS3 certainly had bosses that were stronger, but MGR also has bosses that were stronger than some of the stupid bosses in MGS3 (looking at you, Pain).

Neiteio

Actually, thinking about the stealth elements some more, I'm not sure they're as misplaced as some have suggested. They're a bit more involving, but ultimately less risky than full-on confrontation. Seasoned players like the people posting here may prefer a full-on fight, but we take on more risk for it (I.E. attracting the attention of multiple Mastiffs in the sewers, as opposed to picking off one at a time from the catwalks). As such, we receive a higher grade for our efforts -- the greater the risk, the greater the reward. But stealth still serves a purpose as a safer, albeit more complicated alternative, good for people who may not be able to deal with crowd control (at least early on in the game, I.E. the plaza with two Gekkos in R-01, or the aforementioned sewers in R-02). You'll receive a lower grade for it, but from a sheer "complete the level" standpoint, it's there as a second option.

Tom_Cody

How much is there as far as the optional codec conversations? I have never shied away from the codec in past Metal Gear games so I would hope to experience most/all of the dialog on offer.

Should I check them periodically or is something structured like 1-2 codec messages per person per mission?

I just started play last night so I'm only about an hour in.

Raiden and other characters where already ridiculous way before MGR. Snake is dead at this point. It's fine how the world evolves. And if it's too much for you, there is still GZ.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
How much is there as far as the optional codec conversations? I have never shied away from the codec in past Metal Gear games so I would hope to experience most/all of the dialog on offer.

Should I check them periodically or is something structured like 1-2 codec messages per person per mission?

I just started play last night so I'm only about an hour in.

There are over 400 codec conversations and a lot of them occur after every new enemy encounter and new area and new boss stage. There's a lot of development and explanation.

See, for me, it's not so clear cut.

The bosses in MGR actually really remind me a lot of MGS1's bosses. Individual with unique special abilities and a lot of buildup to the final encounters with them. I'd say that MGS3 certainly had bosses that were stronger, but MGR also has bosses that were stronger than some of the stupid bosses in MGS3 (looking at you, Pain).
But the bees man! But seriously I kinda agree with you. I'd like to know more about the backstories of the bosses in MGR. They gave us a taste but I feel like there is more.

LaneDS

I think they were cool mechanically and visually (I think Sundowner's voice and smile make him way too goofy), but as characters I didn't think any of them were above standard Saturday morning cartoon fare. I also think that suited the game just fine since I found the plot so ridiculous over the top (which is saying a lot, considering how ridiculous MGS as a series sometimes got).

Sephzilla said:

The Outer Haven thing for sure came to mind. The last boss fight of Rising is just... I don't know, so completely over the top that it just sort of ruined things for me as far as the story was concerned.

I know MGS4 gets a lot of hate, but even with a lot of the issues I felt MGR couldn't touch the narrative of MGS4 (or any mainline console MGS) which had some moments I found legitimately engaging or moving. MGS3, I think, is on a whole other level that even the rest of the MGS series struggles to hit aside from maybe the first game.

Top Bottom