• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

AllenShrz

What a graphical mess, it looks muddy, flat textures and jaggies everywhere!!

So bad looking that it hurt my eyes.

I just bought it and I'm at the beginning but I don't want to continue anymore. Specially after DmC payed on the PC, 1080, AA to the top and never letting go those rock solid 60fps.

This is truly the peasant console experience.

img_2203i6ksv.jpg

Look at that mess, granted I took it with my iphone but still, look at those hideous blocky shadows, its welcome to the PSone era again.

I bet even MGS2 looks much crisper than this.

And on top of it all, the videos are blocky too! They have a fucking blu ray to use and they encode those videos with youtube quality!

I really like this game, but ultimately you notice what the short dev time resulted in and how there are simple fixes to unfortunate problems.

Like, only some enemies give audio cues, when they should be giving visual and audio cues when they're about to attack.

Or how some enemies are designed around the let's say less than stellar camera to dash off screen and make you guess where to parry from. This often isn't a problem, but can occasionally get annoying.

The scoring system is just kind of terrible. You can screw yourself over by going stealth and sometimes even prevent a grade from coming up. Characters often admonish you for not just sneaking in when it's easier, more fun, and higher-scoring to just fight everyone in a group.

I think the chapter selection is pretty bad. Levels should have either been split up or they should have allowed you, after beating a level, to go in to levels at certain junctures. If I just want to fight the spare Mistral and Monsoon bodies, having to fight up the entire way seems silly.

Overall I think the game is really, really good and am understanding of the short development time, but I wish these things were fixed. I do kind of feel like Kamiya would have noticed these things if he were on the project and it speaks to how important a strong director can be.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
*sigh*

Some kid on another site is trying to say that MGR is only selling well because it has the Metal Gear name on it, and that DmC is selling well for a reboot.

Kids these days.... I swear....

Of course they are. You can come up with a million excuses. Numbers don't lie.

Sephzilla

Don't know why they're releasing the Vergil's Downfall DLC so late. No way in hell I'm going back to that game now.

Bloody Palace came out the same day as Metal Gear Rising. Vergil's Downfall comes out a week before God of War.

It's rather obvious that the releases for these were set up to keep people from trading in their copies of DmC in order to purchase its immediate competition.

Seik

Banned
I played DmC at launch, finished it twice. Loved it, it's a good game worth checking out.

But seriously, after finishing Rising twice, in the end, DmC feels like some cheap beer and rising like fine wine. :p

The only problem with the wine is that it's quickly finished and DmC is like a 24 bottles box.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I just bought it and I'm at the beginning but I don't want to continue anymore. Specially after DmC payed on the PC, 1080, AA to the top and never letting go those rock solid 60fps.

Look at that mess, granted I took it with my iphone but still, look at those hideous blocky shadows, its welcome to the PSone era again.

And on top of it all, the videos are blocky too! They have a fucking blu ray to use and they encode those videos with youtube quality!

Why the fuck are you comparing a PC release to a console release? Go rent DmC for the 360, and try to say the same thing. I think your memory of MGS2 is hazy at best.

And I don't know about you, but when I play games, it's generally not a series of screenshots. The fluidity of this game makes DmC look archaic by comparison.

I would never go back to DmC after playing this game.

Sephzilla

As much as I find odd pleasure in talking about that mess of a game that has to call itself Devil May Cry twice in the tile in order to convince you its a DMC game... lets not derail this into a DmC discussion.

The Lamp

You could try having fun instead of focusing on some blocky shadows.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Platinum doesn't give a fuck.

And neither do we.

zainetor

Banned
yes, graphically it's nothing special, but no other action game, does what rising do.
And we're talking about a 7 old year piece of junk. I hope konami ports this on pc, because I really wanna play it at 120 fps.
Is there a chance that some modder can fix the camera, if this comes on pc? Or at least increase Fov?

demidar

As much as I find odd pleasure in talking about that mess of a game that has to call itself Devil May Cry twice in the tile in order to convince you its a DMC game... lets not derail this into a DmC discussion.

Wait, one last thing. Vergil isn't playable in a delayed DLC Bloody Palace. What the shit is that?!

Okay now I'm done.

Orcastar

Just finished the game, played on hard. Was much easier than I thought it would be. Only died 10 times or so before the final boss; 3 times against RAY, once against Sundowner, once or twice in regular fights and the rest on those stupid flying minigames.

I don't understand why everyone is gushing about the final boss; I didn't find it that much different from the other bosses. Sure, it was harder and I died like 10 times, but apart from that it was nothing special. I enjoyed the other bosses much more.

ezekial45

Banned

You already did derail it into a DmC discussion. You keep posting sales figures and talking about other people who liked it as if they're some plebs.

I get that you're trying to validate yourself, but don't turn this into some ball spiking nonsense.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just finished the game, played on hard. Was much easier than I thought it would be. Only died 10 times or so before the final boss; 3 times against RAY, once against Sundowner, once or twice in regular fights and the rest on those stupid flying minigames.

I don't understand why everyone is gushing about the final boss; I didn't find it that much different from the other bosses. Sure, it was harder and I died like 10 times, but apart from that it was nothing special. I enjoyed the other bosses much more.

It's really a combination of how over-the-top it is, and the fact that it integrates a lot of the combat mechanics that you've learned up to that point.

iboGMs63fCAP7f.gif

The only peasant here is you.

AllenShrz

Why the fuck are you comparing a PC release to a console release? Go rent DmC for the 360, and try to say the same thing. I think your memory of MGS2 is hazy at best.

And I don't know about you, but when I play games, it's generally not a series of screenshots. The fluidity of this game makes DmC look archaic by comparison.

I would never go back to DmC after playing this game.

DmC was fluid, I dont know know what are you talking about.

No need of a 360 copy while I can play it in a superior platform, PC.

I'll give it another go tomorrow, I had to stop. That bury mess of fight with Ray was hideous.

Maybe the PS3 ver is as bad as the Bayonetta one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The scoring system is just kind of terrible. You can screw yourself over by going stealth and sometimes even prevent a grade from coming up. Characters often admonish you for not just sneaking in when it's easier, more fun, and higher-scoring to just fight everyone in a group.

I think the chapter selection is pretty bad. Levels should have either been split up or they should have allowed you, after beating a level, to go in to levels at certain junctures. If I just want to fight the spare Mistral and Monsoon bodies, having to fight up the entire way seems silly.
I definitely agree with these bits. While I love the game to death and it's honestly one of the best games I've played so far, it has some design flaws (poor camera included). I'd love to be able to play a boss rush setting or just get quick access to them again rather than play through the entire level to get through to them. Granted, the levels aren't that long sometimes, but for someone like Mistral or Monsoon, you might have to slog through a few bits before you get to the things you truly want.

And yeah, the disconnect between characters saying that you have to go through the tactical espionage action as opposed to the lightning bolt action and the scoring system that rewards you for taking revengeance on enemies is very strange (durr hurr hurr, this whole sentence is strange). If you managed to go through segments with stealth, you should have been awarded an S-rank for that section anyway.

I did. It's all right.
Then again I play it on PC.
Well, it's more along the lines of how it feels to me (meaning I'd probably have to get used to the feel, but what previous posters have said about the difference is correct). But since this thread isn't about this subject at all, I am not going to prolong the issue and beleaguer the thread with it.

This thread is about the violent winds that come upon us that refuse to let us sleep~ (I get that the song's probably linked in the thread a lot.)

Rocket786

Between 2-3 hours with Armstrong, and still can't beat him. This is taking it's toll on me!

I am playing on hard, and only have one recovery nano paste. I can't for the life of me slash up the rocks with blade mode. I know that will get me more nano pastes, but I literally have not been able to slash all 3 rocks once so far. I started avoiding them, but then that left me with only one nano paste to use, and the closest I've got is to get Armstrong down to 25% before he killed me.

Any tips would be appreciated! I don't think I've had this much trouble with a boss since back in the NES days...

I'll give it another go tomorrow, I had to stop. That bury mess of fight with Ray was hideous.

Never has so much wrong been spewed in one post.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Then maybe you shouldn't have fuckin' brought it up, huh?

This is one of the reasons I'm glad that 60 fps joke title wasn't used for the OT. It'd just invite the dumbest kinds of discussion.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I really like this game, but ultimately you notice what the short dev time resulted in and how there are simple fixes to unfortunate problems.

Like, only some enemies give audio cues, when they should be giving visual and audio cues when they're about to attack.

Or how some enemies are designed around the let's say less than stellar camera to dash off screen and make you guess where to parry from. This often isn't a problem, but can occasionally get annoying.

Overall I think the game is really, really good and am understanding of the short development time, but I wish these things were fixed. I do kind of feel like Kamiya would have noticed these things if he were on the project and it speaks to how important a strong director can be.

I don't know if I necessarily agree that there must be audio cues, but otherwise I think those are all things that should be improved in a sequel. The major gripe that I have about the camera is how it has a tendency to swing around abruptly, screwing up your parry inputs at the last second. This was mostly an issue in enclosed spaces, but still made for some problems on the harder difficulties.

Carbonox

Troll confirmed.

Move on, son.

Alchemy

...I can't for the life of me slash up the rocks with blade mode. ...
Any tips would be appreciated! I don't think I've had this much trouble with a boss since back in the NES days...

That is pretty much the only blocker, if you can't get him to throw rocks at you you can handle the rest of the fight. Just try not to rush the rock slashing. I know there is the feeling of pressure to do it since you're timed, but just make sure to try to line up your slashes anyways. I think you only need to be "close" to get the rocks to cut, so I think three out of the four boxes should be good enough.

did you have a stroke when typing this post

ezekial45

Banned
This is one of the reasons I'm glad that 60 fps joke title wasn't used for the OT. It'd just invite the dumbest kinds of discussion.

It was bound to happen regardless. The circumstances and release date of MGR were sure to bring up. People want validation and vindication after DmC.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't know if I necessarily agree that there must be audio cues, but otherwise I think those are all things that should be improved in a sequel. The major gripe that I have about the camera is how it has a tendency to swing around abruptly, screwing up your parry inputs at the last second. This was mostly an issue in enclosed spaces, but still made for some problems on the harder difficulties.
Yeah, the camera auto-correcting at times when I didn't want to auto-correct at all ended up being detrimental to combat at times. It's one of those things where sometimes you have to split-second time slashes/parries.

Otherwise, if they were to make a sequel, I hope that the camera improves.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

HarrisonFordWHOGIVESASHIT.gif

You shouldn't be looking at the art all the time, but the people attacking you.

But whatever if you're coming in with your PC fanboy elitism, just get out. #swerve

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
It was bound to happen regardless. The circumstances and release date of MGR were sure to bring up. People want validation and vindication after DmC.
Of course, people can't help themselves.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, you just need 3 out of 4. And I agree, that this is the hardest part of the fight.

It's actually pretty generous... moreso than I thought. Watching Max's playthrough, on one of the cuts, it looked like they only had 1 of the 4 highlighted, but the cut was still in the same general angle, so it was successful.

Neiteio

I think this is a fair critique. Only thing I'd say is I don't recall characters actually admonishing you for abandoning stealth -- I recall it more tongue in cheek, like, "LOL, I thought you said you were stealthy, Raiden." Could be wrong, though.

A minor detail either way. The bit of missing polish you mention that really resonates with me is the inability to jump straight to specific sections, in particular boss battles. Aside from one boss who has a chapter unto himself, the other bosses require you clear the rest of a chapter first. A mode where we tackle all of the bosses in a gauntlet on a single life bar would've seemed like an obvious addition, as well.

Beyond that, I would like a model viewer, since this game has some snazzy character models I'd like to examine up close. Anarchy Reigns had one. Wish this did, too. A cutscene browser would also be appreciated.

It's actually pretty generous... moreso than I thought. Watching Max's playthrough, on one of the cuts, it looked like they only had 1 of the 4 highlighted, but the cut was still in the same general angle, so it was successful.
Interesting I fucked up many times, because I only hit 2 of them.

Edith: Yeah, the deadline was probably in the way for a masterpiece of a video game. Nextgen should fix many issues mentioned here. Saito was the combat designer of bayo, he is clearly having not all the experience of a director, yet. But I say, yeah let's throw him a bone.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think this is a fair critique. Only thing I'd say is I don't recall characters actually admonishing you for abandoning stealth -- I recall it more tongue in cheek, like, "LOL, I thought you said you were stealthy, Raiden." Could be wrong, though.

Well, on the flipside, the characters do compliment you on stealth- "That's the Raiden I know."

Interesting I fucked up many times, because I only hit 2 of them.

http://youtu.be/cAv-SO1RJbg?t=11m9s
Hmm, I dunno. Maybe because he had them lined up before the swing adjusted?

And there's the disconnect

Yeah, I think stealth is only in the game because they felt they needed to justify the Metal Gear name, but it absolutely wasn't necessary.

They probably couldn't figure out a good way to balance it with fighting, so they just didn't. Which just leaves it as a vestigial, hanging-on mechanic to a game that doesn't need it.

Also while I'm thinking about it, some one-hit kills in non-fights also break the scoring system. In the level where you're climbing up the side of the tower, if you get hit by an explosion, you restart back at the part where you're running up. But the game has forgotten all the kills you had before so the best you can get is a D and can't restart back to where the grading started.

That just seems silly.

Sephzilla

I do wish there was a bit of a perk for being able to stealth your way through situations. Like, maybe some kind of "no detection" bonus or something along those lines.

I guess the only reason I can see why they might have avoided stealth bonuses is because perhaps too many people would take advantage of it and try to passively get S-Ranks on the higher difficulties and circumvent some of that challenge.

Top Bottom