• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

just dodge or run away. In the smoke, dodge if he is just appearing and disappearing. Dodge then run in a circle if he starts his combo. you can catch him off guard at the end of it and fuck his shit up usually enough to get out of the smoke.

Neiteio

I know Sam wasn't a Desperado captain, so to speak, but he was in cahoots with them all the same. As such, I'm hoping his DLC side story will conclude with him fighting a former fourth member of the Winds of Destruction, and you defeating him sets you up with the group, albeit not as a proper "Wind."

I just really want another Wind, lol.

Sephzilla

The Outer Haven thing for sure came to mind. The last boss fight of Rising is just... I don't know, so completely over the top that it just sort of ruined things for me as far as the story was concerned.

I know MGS4 gets a lot of hate, but even with a lot of the issues I felt MGR couldn't touch the narrative of MGS4 (or any mainline console MGS) which had some moments I found legitimately engaging or moving. MGS3, I think, is on a whole other level that even the rest of the MGS series struggles to hit aside from maybe the first game.

I think it's more just a case of us never really getting to see Raiden use his full potential in MGS4 considering he spends a good chunk of the game being sidelined thanks to his fight with Vamp. But yeah, I'll give you one thing - I thought MGR's story was plenty engaging but it didn't engage me in the same way parts of MGS4 did.

And admittedly there's nothing in MGR that's as epic as the Snake/Ocelot showdown at the end of 4.

Carbonox

I know Sam wasn't a Desperado captain, so to speak, but he was in cahoots with them all the same. As such, I'm hoping his DLC side story will conclude with him fighting a former fourth member of the Winds of Destruction, and you defeating him sets you up with the group, albeit not as a proper "Wind."

I'm pretty sure there was one or two other members referenced on the screen Kevin was looking at during the cutscene where Raiden arrives in Abkhazia. Need to re-watch to be sure.

I think they were cool mechanically and visually (I think Sundowner's voice and smile make him way too goofy), but as characters I didn't think any of them were above standard Saturday morning cartoon fare. I also think that suited the game just fine since I found the plot so ridiculous over the top (which is saying a lot, considering how ridiculous MGS as a series sometimes got).

The Outer Haven thing for sure came to mind. The last boss fight of Rising is just... I don't know, so completely over the top that it just sort of ruined things for me as far as the story was concerned.

I know MGS4 gets a lot of hate, but even with a lot of the issues I felt MGR couldn't touch the narrative of MGS4 (or any mainline console MGS) which had some moments I found legitimately engaging or moving. MGS3, I think, is on a whole other level that even the rest of the MGS series struggles to hit aside from maybe the first game.
The story wasn't really anymore ridiculous than the MGS games. In regards to the final boss he is pretty much just a combination of Volgin and Solidus with a dash of Vamp, he acts ridiculous at first but really it just goes with his character.

jett

D-Member
I think it's more just a case of us never really getting to see Raiden use his full potential in MGS4 considering he spends a good chunk of the game being sidelined thanks to his fight with Vamp. But yeah, I'll give you one thing - I thought MGR's story was plenty engaging but it didn't engage me in the same way parts of MGS4 did.

And admittedly there's nothing in MGR that's as epic as the Snake/Ocelot showdown at the end of 4.

Too bad the epicness fades away the moment you start playing that abortion of game design. 11 years later and literally no improvement was done to the Liquid vs Snake fight. :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think they were cool mechanically and visually (I think Sundowner's voice and smile make him way too goofy), but as characters I didn't think any of them were above standard Saturday morning cartoon fare. I also think that suited the game just fine since I found the plot so ridiculous over the top (which is saying a lot, considering how ridiculous MGS as a series sometimes got).

You're trying to dismiss MGR's bosses as saturday morning cartoon characters when I can provide the following examples of MGS bosses:

1) Fatman. Literally a fat man in a trenchcoat on rollerblades with an uzi that places bombs on a rooftop.

2) Vamp. A vampire, but not really. Has knives. Nanomachines.

3) The Pain. COME MY BULLET BEES. TOMMYGUN. GRENADE.

4) Beauty and Beast. Not one of them say a single goddamn thing. Personality of cardboard, and the codec calls don't make them any more intriguing.

And that's not even including characters that were in Peacewalker, which is apparently has a pretty colorful cast.

Sephzilla

Too bad the epicness fades away the moment you start playing that abortion of game design.

I didn't have a problem with it, to be honest. I dunno, maybe I just adjust to changes like that well enough. I treated that whole segment more or less as a formality, not really as the "final boss".

LaneDS

It's been a while since I played MGS4, but didn't Raiden essentially ruin his arms with the Outer Haven thing? And when he returns for the final arc, he goes all badass without the use of them? Just felt like MGR lacks a little bit of that same gravitas, and he beats his opponents when he's down and out just by crazy willpower and
using Sam's sword, for whatever reason
. It's fun stuff, sure, just never struck me personally as powerfully as scenes like Snake going through the radiation in MGS4 (among other moving scenes in the series).

The story wasn't really anymore ridiculous than the MGS games. In regards to the final boss he is pretty much just a combination of Volgin and Solidus, he acts ridiculous at first but really it just goes with his character.

The story itself, in terms of what Raiden is trying to do and what the villains are trying to achieve wasn't, but the post-SOP world and what the best cyborgs can do is definitely on another level of ridiculous. It suited the game just fine, and don't get me wrong there is a lot of seriously cool shit that happens, but I just personally wish it wasn't a continuation of MGS because it basically says "Hey, remember guys like Solid Snake? Well those guys have no more place in this world, because cyborgs." It sort of works since MGS4 was about old soldiers like Snake not having a place on the battlefield anymore, but for me personally I still find that a bit disappointing.

That said, if we ever get a MGS game set in the post-SOP world where Snake (or some Snake) is still fighting against overpowere cyborgs and winning? That could be awesome.

jett

D-Member
4) Beauty and Beast. Not one of them say a single goddamn thing. Personality of cardboard, and the codec calls don't make them any more intriguing.

The bosses in MGS4 were just terrible. Poor man's versions of previously superior bosses in the series. And those monologues after you beat them...lol.

Not sure where I would place MGR in terms of boss fights. Maybe ahead of MGS1 and MGS2 but below MGS3.

I didn't have a problem with it, to be honest. I dunno, maybe I just adjust to changes like that well enough. I treated that whole segment more or less as a formality, not really as the "final boss".

Well, I guess I don't really like playing anything that plays like butt.

Real talk: The BnB were better than Cobra. 4/5 of the latter were just plain stupid, came out of nowhere, and had no personality outside of screaming their own names. At least BnB had some backstory instead of just being "gimmick group just 'cuz."

My understanding was that Platinum took a lot of what KojiPro worked on and tossed it out the window to fit their design ideas, which certainly makes sense given what they had to work with and timetables. I believe the original idea was that the game was set between MGS2 and MGS4, and somewhere along the line it became something set after MGS4.

It for sure uses a lot of work from KojiPro, but the story and presentation seem heavily Platinum'd to me.

Right the story and setting changed after Platinum came on because they needed something that would work for the style that Platinum wanted to achieve. But I believe the actual writing was still handled by KojiPro staffers.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Real talk: The BnB were better than Cobra. 4/5 of the latter were just plain stupid, came out of nowhere, and had no personality outside of screaming their own names. At least BnB had some backstory instead of just being "gimmick group just 'cuz."

The Cobra autotrumps BnB because it included The End and The Boss.

Sephzilla

It's been a while since I played MGS4, but didn't Raiden essentially ruin his arms with the Outer Haven thing? And when he returns for the final arc, he goes all badass without the use of them? Just felt like MGR lacks a little bit of that same gravitas, and he beats his opponents when he's down and out just by crazy willpower and
using Sam's sword, for whatever reason
. It's fun stuff, sure, just never struck me personally as powerfully as scenes like Snake going through the radiation in MGS4 (among other moving scenes in the series).

Well he had to cut one of his arms off in order to get out of some debris he was stuck under. But yeah, the rest of his body was pretty shot after stopping Outer Haven. However that was after he'd already gotten the crap beat out of him a bit after fighting Vamp again. I can buy some of the stuff he does in MGR because he's also using a much more advanced body than he had in MGS4.

Although, regarding using Sam's sword. It's because Armstrong broke his main one (in case you missed that)

You're trying to dismiss MGR's bosses as saturday morning cartoon characters when I can provide the following examples of MGS bosses:

1) Fatman. Literally a fat man in a trenchcoat on rollerblades with an uzi that places bombs on a rooftop.

And that's not even including characters that were in Peacewalker, which is apparently has a pretty colorful cast.

I'd put MGR's bosses behind only MGS3. Although I still say the best boss in the franchise is Psycho Mantis.

The story itself, in terms of what Raiden is trying to do and what the villains are trying to achieve wasn't, but the post-SOP world and what the best cyborgs can do is definitely on another level of ridiculous. It suited the game just fine, and don't get me wrong there is a lot of seriously cool shit that happens, but I just personally wish it wasn't a continuation of MGS because it basically says "Hey, remember guys like Solid Snake? Well those guys have no more place in this world, because cyborgs." It sort of works since MGS4 was about old soldiers like Snake not having a place on the battlefield anymore, but for me personally I still find that a bit disappointing.

That said, if we ever get a MGS game set in the post-SOP world where Snake (or some Snake) is still fighting against overpowere cyborgs and winning? That could be awesome.
Snake barely had a place on the battlefield in MGS4. Besides regular people can still do well, without saying spoilers for others, remember the last boss in America?

That doesn't really seem fair- correct me if I'm wrong* but despite a much longer development time, you can't select individual battles in Bayonetta. Sure there are more boss-only Chapters (hell there is a lot more content in general) but one of the most common complaints about Bayonetta is having to go through the Space Harrier segment to get to one of the best boss fights in the game. And just like you can screw yourself on score in Rising for going stealth, you screw your score in Bayonetta for missing or skipping optional Verses in a Chapter.

I agree with you complaints but I think the truncated dev time easily explains just about all of the issues. I doubt it would have been much different under Kamiya if the schedule was the same.

*I'm about to beat Bayonetta tonight for the first time so maybe this stuff unlocks on Hard Mode and above but based on what I've read it doesn't.
You can't select individual battles (and the space harrier/Jeanne thing is probably the most egregious example of that not being broken up well enough), but I feel like it was broken up a lot better than in MGR.

If Bayonetta were using MGR's chapter system, you'd probably have to do all of Vigrid up until you fall in to the lava caves at once and that would be really untenable for getting good ranks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The End and The Boss don't even begin to make up for The Fear, let alone The Pain and The Fury.

I think they do. Conceptually, the Fear and the Fury were both really cool premises, but really silly and weird execution. The Pain was just awful. And I liked The Sorrow, even though it doesn't really count.

LaneDS

1) Fatman. Literally a fat man on rollerblades with an uzi that places bombs on a rooftop.

That's fair; MGS has no shortage of under developed villains or ones that are just completely ridiculous and/or stupid depending on your opinion. Looking back years from now, I don't see any of the MGR characters being remembered in the same way people remember the best MGS characters but only time will tell with that.

Right the story and setting changed after Platinum came on because they needed something that would work for the style that Platinum wanted to achieve. But I believe the actual writing was still handled by KojiPro staffers.

That would make sense, since the writing and codec conversations felt very much like what I'd expect out of MGS.

Well he had to cut one of his arms off in order to get out of some debris he was stuck under. But yeah, the rest of his body was pretty shot after stopping Outer Haven. However that was after he'd already gotten the crap beat out of him a bit after fighting Vamp again. I can buy some of the stuff he does in MGR because he's also using a much more advanced body than he had in MGS4.

Although, regarding using Sam's sword. It's because Armstrong broke his main one (in case you missed that)

In terms of the spoiler talk,
I got the sense that because he had that second sword from Sam, it was more powerful and the reason he could actually inflict pain on Armstrong and win the fight. Just felt a little, I hate to say, DBZ for me. The whole "this isn't my sword!" thing fell flat for me.

Sephzilla

Snake barely had a place on the battlefield in MGS4. Besides regular people can still do well, without saying spoilers for others, remember the last boss in America?

Yeah, I was going to mention this. One of the things I was picking up on in MGS4 was that Snake was already a bit obsolete.

Although in both MGR and MGS4 there are humans who still have a place on the battlefield.

Johnny Sazaki turns into a badass at the end of MGS4 and does it without any of the nanomachine shit that made everyone else relevant. And Sam in MGR was still mostly human and still pushed super cyborg Raiden to his limits.

LaneDS

Do you mean
Sam? Because of the mention about how he wasn't using many cybernetics at all? I guess that's sort of valid, but he certainly didn't look or behave like a regular human in the game.
Anyway, Snake was never really a regular guy being a clone and all, and he relied heavily on technology in his time as a soldier, so honestly it's not that big a leap when I think about it that way.

The only personality BnB had were those horrid "let me tell you a five minute sad story about these characters you don't give a fuck about" post boss codecs. Just the worst way to handle it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'd put MGR's bosses behind only MGS3. Although I still say the best boss in the franchise is Psycho Mantis.

MGR's bosses are in line with MGS1's bosses for me... totally awesome. MGS3 beats them both, but just barely, and really only because of The Boss and The End.

Cobra Unit loses because you can't take sexy pictures of the lovely ladies. :p

Yeah, I guess they were pretty hot, though.

Sephzilla

The only personality BnB had were those horrid "let me tell you a five minute sad story about these characters you don't give a fuck about" post boss codecs. Just the worst way to handle it

Yeah, the BnB's are easily my least favorite bosses of the MG franchise.

MGR's bosses are in line with MGS1's bosses for me... totally awesome. MGS3 beats them both, but just barely, and really only because of The Boss and The End.

I'm down with that thought. Both MGS1 and MGR have fantastic bosses.

jett

D-Member
"BULLET BEES ARE EATING YOUR FLESH."

"WHAT."

The Fear is just jank, too. Stupid spider-man and your stupid crossbow...

The Fury is okay but still dumb and the post-fight cutscene still makes me think I'm watching The Mummy on LSD.

They're awesome to me from a mechanical point of view. :p

The Fear is pretty much fighting against The Predator. How is that not awesome?

The Fury is just fucking badass. Hiding and playing it stealthy to avoid his flamethrower of death, with dynamic music that pumps up when everything is set ablaze.

The Fear is probably the least awesome, but it was still fun to play.

BnB are just shitty bosses from every possible point of view.

Do you mean
Sam? Because of the mention about how he wasn't using many cybernetics at all? I guess that's sort of valid, but he certainly didn't look or behave like a regular human in the game.
Anyway, Snake was never really a regular guy being a clone and all, and he relied heavily on technology in his time as a soldier, so honestly it's not that big a leap when I think about it that way.
He got the super strength and speed from the exoskeleton, not the different from Snake's suit in MGS4 helping him keep up at his old age.

Neiteio

Should've been called the PMS Posse. It was like Super Princess Peach -- they're girls and they're all EMOTIONAL and shit.

"My mom was eaten by badgers. Life is funny that way. I laughed! OH HOW I LAUGHED! WHY DO I KEEP LAUGHING! HAHAHAHA!"

And don't forget Drebin then proceeding to say the same shit over and over for 10 minutes that feel like 100:

"Giggling Badger's parents were eaten by badgers, and she's been giggling ever since. Her giggle is the cold, hollow giggle of grim death. Grim death, brought upon her parents, by badgers. Badgers being intrinsically funny -- so she's always giggling. Giggling... because of badgers. Badgers being what killed her parents. Her parents dead, because of badgers... Fuck badgers."

Korigama

I recall a codec where Kevin mentioned that only around 3-5% of contractors working for PMCs are cyborgs, and even then the ones that are full-cyborg are still in the minority, making the situation of Desperado having so many something they viewed as an anomaly. If that helps.

Sephzilla

I recall a codec where Kevin mentioned that only around 3-5% of contractors working for PMCs are cyborgs, and even then the ones that are full-cyborg are still in the minority, making the situation of Desperado having so many something they viewed as an anomaly. If that helps.

Thanks to Raiden, that number probably shrunk down to 1 or 2%

Hideo Kojima needs an editor.

"This is good, isn't it?" was a hundred times more effective than the twenty minutes of exposition leading up to it.

The man has his moments, but by God does he make you work for it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hideo Kojima needs an editor.

"This is good, isn't it?" was a hundred times more effective than the twenty minutes of exposition leading up to it.

The man has his moments, but by God does he make you work for it

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that Kojima throws an inordinate amount of shit against a wall, and there NEEDS TO BE someone there to sift through it to find the gems.

Ferr986

Having a little problem with the final boss on VH, but not the common one

I'm in the fist fight, and I cant friggin advance! Seriously, what I have to do to proceed? I have seen videos of this in VH and I already wait longer and deal more damage to the boss, and still I get KO'ed and Im not getting the scene that should happen. Im missing something=

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Having a little problem with the final boss on VH, but not the common one

I'm in the fist fight, and I cant friggin advance! Seriously, what I have to do to proceed? I have seen videos of this in VH and I already wait longer and deal more damage to the boss, and still I get KO'ed and Im not getting the scene that should happen. Im missing something=

Are you just trying to beat it or no damage it?
If you get hit by a certain tackle, it'll automatically knock you into the third phase, but it'll also do damage. For No Damage, you'll want to literally avoid him for a few minutes until he does an AOE attack that hits everywhere. This will involve a lot of Offensive Defense. For some reason, though, you can kind of spam the move when you don't have your sword.

LaneDS

The line in the script helps, sure, but maybe not five to eight hours of Raiden slaughtering hundreds of them plus their UGs.

Thanks to Raiden, that number probably shrunk down to 1 or 2%

Hah, also true.

Ferr986

Thanks GuardianE!. I wasnt going for a no dagame, is just the animation didnt start. I finally got it after 2 mins ducking around.

Now Im where I should be, getting my ass kicked by the final boss. Holy shit...lol

Revven

I feel like if anything else, the bosses in this game will be most remembered from the music that plays in the background of them. Their theme songs, basically; simply because of the dynamic music... it will make you remember those amazing moments with them and what makes those characters so unique and memorable.

I feel like some of the songs attempt to describe the character you're fighting, or, describe the reason why they fight. Just listen to Mistral's song or Monsoon's, especially Mistral's.

Astral

Would you guys say the Murasama outshines most weapons in the game? I just unlocked them all and am in the process of upgrading them. From what I hear, Murasama ends up being the best one.

Sephzilla

I use the Murasama for bosses. But if you really want to just cheat your way through the main levels then the Fox Blade is the way to go.

jett

D-Member
Don't you mean that one same monologue, four times over?

"So, like, this one time, there was a girl in a war zone. Everybody died and she thought it was animals, but it was actually her."

hahaha, true.

Would you guys say the Murasama outshines most weapons in the game? I just unlocked them all and am in the process of upgrading them. From what I hear, Murasama ends up being the best one.

It's the fastest blade(tied with machete), and the strongest(tied with the long blade). As a regular HF blade, it's the best. But the special properties of other unlockable weapons outclass it(like breaking armor or staggering instantly.)

hahaha, true.

It's the fastest blade(tied with machete), and the strongest(tied with the long blade). As a regular HF blade, it's the best. But the special properties of other unlockable weapons outclass it(like breaking armor or staggering instantly.)

u telling me that i wasted 200k on fox blade when there is much better weapon out there?

Absolutely. Honestly, with it fully upgraded if you're trying to play through levels with the best rank possible, without wigs and without the Fox Blade, the Murasama is your safest bet in terms of main weapons in many circumstances. The increased damage, speed and (I believe) range make it a formidable weapon while succumbing to almost none of the others' weaknesses when fully upgraded. The armour breaker is quite strong in certain situations too but overall I'd concur with your statement that the Murasama is the best main weapon. If you have BP to spend on upgrades, I'd upgrade that before anything else.

Also, I'm just wondering, how are you meant to No Damage R-04's lobby without the wigs? I hadn't been using any of the 'cheat' items or weapons (well, the Fox Blade) up to that point in my Revengeance run but I had (and still have) absolutely no idea as to how one can beat the GRAD (by EM grenade-RPG locking it) at the end without it, let alone everything else. Do the weapons on the shelves/racks regenerate when you're empty?

demidar

Absolutely. Honestly, with it fully upgraded if you're trying to play through levels with the best rank possible, without wigs and without the Fox Blade, the Murasama is your safest bet in terms of main weapons in many circumstances. The increased damage, speed and (I believe) range make it a formidable weapon while succumbing to almost none of the others' weaknesses when fully upgraded. The armour breaker is quite strong in certain situations too but overall I'd concur with your statement that the Murasama is the best main weapon. If you have BP to spend on upgrades, I'd upgrade that before anything else.

Also, I'm just wondering, how are you meant to No Damage R-04's lobby without the wigs? I hadn't been using any of the 'cheat' items or weapons (well, the Fox Blade) up to that point in my Revengeance run but I had (and still have) absolutely no idea as to how one can beat the GRAD (by EM grenade-RPG locking it) at the end without it, let alone everything else. Do the weapons on the shelves/racks regenerate when you're empty?

In my opinion it's impossible to S-Rank the lobby without a wig on Revengeance.

Viewtify

Banned

Im pretty sure it is impossible to beat that part with no damage. It is still possible to S rank with no wigs though. The turrets can kill the GRAD pretty easily if they aren't destroyed by then.

Top Bottom