• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Astral

Absolutely. Honestly, with it fully upgraded if you're trying to play through levels with the best rank possible, without wigs and without the Fox Blade, the Murasama is your safest bet in terms of main weapons in many circumstances. The increased damage, speed and (I believe) range make it a formidable weapon while succumbing to almost none of the others' weaknesses when fully upgraded. The armour breaker is quite strong in certain situations too but overall I'd concur with your statement that the Murasama is the best main weapon. If you have BP to spend on upgrades, I'd upgrade that before anything else.

Also, I'm just wondering, how are you meant to No Damage R-04's lobby without the wigs? I hadn't been using any of the 'cheat' items or weapons (well, the Fox Blade) up to that point in my Revengeance run but I had (and still have) absolutely no idea as to how one can beat the GRAD (by EM grenade-RPG locking it) at the end without it, let alone everything else. Do the weapons on the shelves/racks regenerate when you're empty?

I used the wig for that part but I actually don't think I needed it. For the most part it came down to learning where every enemy spawned and shooting the crap out of them. I actually beat the GRAD with the turrets. It was a huge pain in the ass. I didn't know I could just EMP it and rocket it to death.

chrono01

What makes the Fox Blade a "cheat weapon" is the special ability it has. When purchased, it essentially kills everything [except bosses] in one slice. It makes the game far...far too easy, and is basically only recommended for purely "having fun". If you choose to avoid the special ability and just upgrade its power/blade duration/absorption, it rivals the Murasama Blade although the latter still outclasses it.

Basically, Murasama is the only weapon you need for general play.

I feel bad about even using Armor breaker sometimes, I made a rule to only equip it if I've restarted a checkpoint atleast 9 times trying to get that s-rank.

Insta-killing GRAD #2 in the research lab on my S-rank Revengeance run made me feel really bad, but I realized I was going to be there for hours if I didn't use it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Monsoon is probably the most complicated to no damage.

1.- You can skip the smoke bombs if you drop his health to 70% at the beginning of the fight. You can only do this with the Pincer Blades and you have to be damn good at dodging/dodge offset. If you can't do this I suggest you get good at parrying his smoke bomb phase. It's not that hard.

2.- After you drop his health to 40% be ready to equip the sais.

3.- The next hard part is when he throws his arms at you with his sais. Here you must have a purpled-charged sai. First parry all of his first hand's attacks(hopefully you'll get a counter parry to speed up the process), then throw the sai to stagger him. I like to use charged pincer blades on this guy because they do the most damage. Just remember to unleash them when the body is rejoining the head.

That's about it, really.

Yeah, but there's no checkpoints for that, right? D:

Raxus

FFFFUUUUUUUUUU. This is going to be a pain in the ass.

You build a momentum during the fight. The hardest part by far is phase 1. Phase 2 is easy and phase 3 you just have to watch for the initial attack.

My advice:
1)D/O is your friend. When smoke is deployed it helps you take the offense when he charges you with a sai attack. Block the jumping attack. He goes down to 70 really fast if you get a good opening on him. Use blade or the D/O cancel!
2)Phase 2 is easy. Horizontal and vertical slash when needed. Watch out he does pull a slight of hand on some of the projectiles. When he finishes lock onto him, use an EMG grenade, run to his head and pincer him when he gets back together. If you miss him with the pincer then your blade does the job nicely.
3)However during the Phase 3 throws go to the very left/right of the arena and run around it (away from Monsoon) to avoid the 5/6/7/8 car throws. They are near impossible to get.
4)Block the first 2 Lorentz forces. They look unblockable but you can stop them and get 0 damage. It also opens up the third one to zangetsu and ends the attack early.
5)After that prepare to block the attack. Counters are great but if you mess up the timing you can easily get hit. If it is a standard block then just D/O to safety if possible and wait for his body to come back together to EMG it. The rest of the fight SHOULD play out like phase 2 but watch out when he gets close to 10% health since he can hit through a pincer if you are not careful! Bastard kicked me on a good attempt.

jett

D-Member
Someone please tell me how to S rank the GRAD fight on R-01. It won't even give me a no damage bonus.

You mean R-02? In Revengeance? If it doesn't give you the no damage bonus despite not receiving any damage then I'm afraid you may have died once and the game saved over your previous save, cancelling your no-damage possibilities. Or you saved with Courtney after damage had been inflicted on you, or went to customization.

There are two nanopastes in the level, if you have a full 5-pack and you pick those up you'll get some bonus BP points, maybe that could help(you need 500BP for the full bonus). You'll need to Zandatsu both GRADs, and rack up a 35-hit combo. And finish the whole thing in less than two minutes.

RangerBAD

You mean R-02? In Revengeance? If it doesn't give you the no damage bonus despite not receiving any damage then I'm afraid you may have died once and the game saved over your previous save, cancelling your no-damage possibilities. Or you saved with Courtney after damage had been inflicted on you, or went to customization.

There are two nanopastes in the level, if you have a full 5-pack and you pick those up you'll get some bonus BP points, maybe that could help(you need 500BP for the full bonus). You'll need to Zandatsu both GRADs, and rack up a 35-hit combo. And finish the whole thing in less than two minutes.

No, the fight right before you go through the door that leads to the refinery. There's a GEKKO and a normal cyborg patrolling. You have to alert them in order for the GRAD and another cyborg to come out. So I have to start the level over?

Raxus

No, the fight right before you go through the door that leads to the refinery. There's a GEKKO and a normal cyborg patrolling. You have to alert them in order for the GRAD and another cyborg to come out.

Sai stun the grad to death. God knows they are easy to target.

jett

D-Member
No, the fight right before you go through the door that leads to the refinery. There's a GEKKO and a normal cyborg patrolling. You have to alert them in order for the GRAD and another cyborg to come out.

Okay. According to this faq here you'll need to beat it in less than 1:15, with 1000 BP points, 4 Zandatsus, 4 kills and a 20-hit combo. You can try to get additional BP points by cutting off the cyborgs' legs and arms. Seems doable, although I'm iffy on the BP points.

demidar

Okay. According to this faq here you'll need to beat it in less than 1:15, with 1000 BP points, 4 Zandatsus, 4 kills and a 20-hit combo. You can try to get additional BP points by cutting off the cyborgs' legs and arms. Seems doable, although I'm iffy on the BP points.

Yeah I was wondering if the BP you collect from excess items or cleanly severing limbs counts towards rank.

BY2K

Membero Americo
but watch out when he gets close to 10% health since he can hit through a pincer if you are not careful! Bastard kicked me on a good attempt.

Exactly what happened in my case.

Bastard.

No, the fight right before you go through the door that leads to the refinery. There's a GEKKO and a normal cyborg patrolling. You have to alert them in order for the GRAD and another cyborg to come out. So I have to start the level over?

I did it by running around and trying to get the gekko to charge. If it doesn't charge soon after spotting you then just restart. When it charges just block it and do an execution, then try to kill/zandatsu the two cyborgs (sliding attack if they're not armored, I can't remember) and use the sai to stunlock the grad and kill it

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I feel like if anything else, the bosses in this game will be most remembered from the music that plays in the background of them. Their theme songs, basically; simply because of the dynamic music... it will make you remember those amazing moments with them and what makes those characters so unique and memorable.

I feel like some of the songs attempt to describe the character you're fighting, or, describe the reason why they fight. Just listen to Mistral's song or Monsoon's, especially Mistral's.

Yep. This was the first soundtrack for a game I've owned in ages. Corny as hell but excellent workout music.

RangerBAD

I did it by running around and trying to get the gekko to charge. If it doesn't charge soon after spotting you then just restart. When it charges just block it and do an execution, then try to kill/zandatsu the two cyborgs (sliding attack if they're not armored, I can't remember) and use the sai to stunlock the grad and kill it

So there is not a No Damage bonus for this one? I could never get all 4 Zandatsu and get the time fast enough either. This is going to be tough. Think you can get a No Kill bonus?

TheSeks

I can't even hit him with these pincer blades without getting hit. I can Dodge around him cutting him for a bit but then he gets a lucky attack on me. Trying to hit him with the P. blades just has my attack whiff and get hit and even if I do hit him he only gets like 5-10% off him. D:

So there is not a No Damage bonus for this one? I could never get all 4 Zandatsu and get the time fast enough either. This is going to be tough. Think you can get a No Kill bonus?

You can no damage it, thats how I did it. No Kills works too though. Stealth kill the gekko without alerting the first cyborg, then walk up behind the cyborg and cut his legs off, cut the other cyborg's legs off and then just use sai on the grad

If you get either no damage or no kills you only need 1 zandatsu and 20 hits

People on X360Achievements seem to believe that the reason the "No Damage" bonus isn't popping up on Revengeance is a glitch and it gets fixed if you delete the title update.

RangerBAD

You can no damage it, thats how I did it. No Kills works too though. Stealth kill the gekko without alerting the first cyborg, then walk up behind the cyborg and cut his legs off, cut the other cyborg's legs off and then just use sai on the grad

If you get either no damage or no kills you only need 1 zandatsu and 20 hits

I don't get hit, yet it doesn't register No Damage. I was going to try No Kills with the bouken.

People on X360Achievements seem to believe that the reason the "No Damage" bonus isn't popping up on Revengeance is a glitch and it gets fixed if you delete the title update.

I guess the glitch is on the PS3 too.

Raxus

I can't even hit him with these pincer blades without getting hit. I can Dodge around him cutting him for a bit but then he gets a lucky attack on me. Trying to hit him with the P. blades just has my attack whiff and get hit and even if I do hit him he only gets like 5-10% off him. D:

As long as you know how to cancel the sword does plenty of work on him and doesn't leave you so open to attack. You really shouldn't be whiffing with a charged P. Blade attack though if you have the timing down.

jett

D-Member

Do the charged moves, not the regular attacks. A good technique is to throw out one regular attack at the start of of the fight, he'll usually move to your left, then you dodge to the right and immediately charge a move, you'll unleash the second charged attack, hopefully it hits and staggers, and then you can follow it up with more. Not fail proof, though.

The Lamp

The fight after meeting
George
in Ch. 02. I took all three out with Zandatsu and I think no damage within the first 30 seconds of the fight and I got a B combat rating? :(

Also,
George sounds like a man even though he's a little boy
>_>

I can see where the camera complaints are coming from now. Half my combat is spent fighting the camera lol

Deitus

Even with the lock-on?

The problem I have with the Lock-on, is it hugely overcorrects the issues of the basic camera, especially for Mastiffs and Wolves. Basically, if you don't lock-on to a Mastiff, he jumps in the air and you have no idea where he is, so he can attack you from behind, the side, etc, and its difficult to predict the direction.

If you do lock on to a Mastiff, he jumps in the air, and your camera does an immediate 180 degree shift. So you can tell exactly where he will attack you from (though the shifting camera still makes it difficult to parry in the correct direction), but now you have no idea where anything else is. You basically laser focus on one enemy at the expense of anything resembling situational awareness. Lock-on is good for focusing your attacks on a particular enemy, but not particularly good for having any idea what the hell is going on around you.

Edit: One thing that would greatly improve the camera in this game is if it wasn't so close. Not only does Raiden take up to much real estate on the screen, but there's really not any good way to keep track of more than a couple enemies with the camera that close. The other fix would be allowing the camera to see through walls instead of constantly rotating to face the wall when you get close. Those two fixes, and the more agile enemies would be drastically easier to fight.

TheOGB

Banned
Even with the lock-on?
Especially with the lock-on, for me. At times I'll turn it on and the camera will go "Okay, lemme--oh, uh, lemme just uh--wait, let--wait, lemme--uhh, lem--oh, there's the guy." It's like it gets caught on something and kind of stutters to get there sometimes. Thankfully it doesn't happen often; mostly only in smaller/confined places, but not much otherwise.
Edit: And yeah, like Thanasis said, it gets hard to see anything other than what you're locked on to. Not good for bigger enemies that are part of a group.

Whoo, I can see now why I've been getting my ass kicked. I'd be trying to parry so early at times I'd end up doing an attack and then taking one to the face. Getting better at it, though.

Lock on can do more harm than good, depending on the situation. It's kind of tricky.

Yeah, target lock and the camera need a lot of work. I only lock on when attacking/parrying and if I ever have to run, I always turn off target lock. I also set horizontal camera sensitivity up a couple notches so I can pan around whatever area I'm in. Is this something Platinum can fix with a patch?

Edit: One thing that would greatly improve the camera in this game is if it wasn't so close. Not only does Raiden take up to much real estate on the screen, but there's really not any good way to keep track of more than a couple enemies with the camera that close. The other fix would be allowing the camera to see through walls instead of constantly rotating to face the wall when you get close. Those two fixes, and the more agile enemies would be drastically easier to fight.

I think devs avoid the camera going through the walls because they think it looks "cheap" or something, but I really wish they would make more use of it. Semi-transparent walls, when the camera is in that position, that would allow the camera to keep a consistent distance from Raiden (as well as pulling the camera back) would instantly improve so many encounters. The Mastiffs and water strider things totally abuse the camera system. I swear they purposely dodge and jump out of frame just to mess with you. God forbid you try to adust the angle if you're close to a wall.

*FLAMES EVERYWHERE, DROPKICKS EVERYWHERE*

TheSeks

Do the charged moves, not the regular attacks. A good technique is to throw out one regular attack at the start of of the fight, he'll usually move to your left, then you dodge to the right and immediately charge a move, you'll unleash the second charged attack, hopefully it hits and staggers, and then you can follow it up with more. Not fail proof, though.

I'm doing that. As soon as I release the charged attack I either 1) whiff 2) hit him (but he hits me in return) or 3) dodge while the attack is out but it negates damage/the attack itself. So annoying. :/

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
You unlock them by collecting left arms from certain enemies. One wig gives you unlimited item use(grenades, rockets), another infinite blade mode.

I see. I've been cutting left hand off right and...uhh...left. But haven't seen them in the Custom menu.

I see. I've been cutting left hand off right and...uhh...left. But haven't seen them in the Custom menu.

If you go into AR Mode and look at enemies, you'll sometimes see a green diamond. That marks the left arm you need to cut off. If you kill that enemy before you can cut off and collect the arm, you'll lose the chance to do so. I had to restart a bunch of times when trying to collect the arms. You get a wig when you collect half the arms and another when you collect all of them. The wigs unlock after you complete a playthrough, I think. You can see how many you've collected from the title screen menu "Collectibles" ( I think it's called that)

Edit: yeah, the wigs unlock as buy able items in the Customize menu

Top Bottom