• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

I think devs avoid the camera going through the walls because they think it looks "cheap" or something, but I really wish they would make more use of it. Semi-transparent walls, when the camera is in that position, that would allow the camera to keep a consistent distance from Raiden (as well as pulling the camera back) would instantly improve so many encounters. The Mastiffs and water strider things totally abuse the camera system. I swear they purposely dodge and jump out of frame just to mess with you. God forbid you try to adjust the angle if you're close to a wall.

*FLAMES EVERYWHERE, DROPKICKS EVERYWHERE*

If the camera did no auto-correcting, it'd still suck, but be better than it is. Every time I use the box/barrel to sneak around and the camera is at all "touching" scenery, it will swing around until it's able to be a certain distance from Raiden.

I don't remember ever having any camera problems with Bayonetta and only used lock-on for certain moves. What did that game do right that this doesn't?

How do I even lock on?

R2 on PS3 and whatever right shoulder button that isn't Ninja Run on 360. You can cycle through targets using the right stick once you're locked on. It's still pretty eh though.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
If you go into AR Mode and look at enemies, you'll sometimes see a green diamond. That marks the left arm you need to cut off. If you kill that enemy before you can cut off and collect the arm, you'll lose the chance to do so. I had to restart a bunch of times when trying to collect the arms. You get a wig when you collect half the arms and another when you collect all of them. The wigs unlock after you complete a playthrough, I think. You can see how many you've collected from the title screen menu "Collectibles" ( I think it's called that)

Edit: yeah, the wigs unlock as buy able items in the Customize menu

Thanks. Just an awesome game.

Revven

I don't use lock-on often, either, but it does help a little bit when you need to target a certain annoying enemy the auto-target won't target for whatever reason. I try to control the camera myself but it's not perfect by any means and is often difficult to do anyway in the middle of combat.

Thanks. Just an awesome game.

You're welcome. And sorry, made some mistakes in my post. There are 30 left arms to collect, you unlock a wig every ten arms. The last wig is like the Fox Blade, you can one shot everything except bosses. You might want to check GameFAQS or somewhere for more detailed info.

Respawn

Banned
Man I have to say this game woke up my sleeping skills. I can actually finish sundowner without a scratch but my lord at the very last boss. Its like I'm fighting Terry Bogard and Geese Howard at the same time.

Revven

FINALLLLLLLLLLLYYYYY FUCK YES! I beat VR Mission 18 and got Gold on it, to boot! Thanks for all the tips from the other day with the Pincer Blades; knowing you can dodge cancel them helps TONS.

Not sure if I wanna try to Gold the rest or not, I got the hardest three Gold already... decisions, decisions I guess. But for now, I am defo taking a break from these VR missions I think. Way too much bullshit!

Man I have to say this game woke up my sleeping skills. I can actually finish sundowner without a scratch but my lord at the very last boss. Its like I'm fighting Terry Bogard and Geese Howard at the same time.

Hint: when the boss throws shit at you, use Blade Mode to cut it, BUT be sure to also use the left stick to adjust on the second cut. A lot of people got stuck on that. Alternatively, you can run straight ahead to avoid it altogether, but you'll miss out on nano paste.

Just started my second playthrough, this time on hard, and finished the first chapter. I'm doing all right; got a B. I missed a couple fights, still, and lost the A. I did a lot better on the Mistral fight this time than my first playthrough. Took some hits but far less damage and I took her down pretty quickly.

I really suck at countering the bipedal units. Tips?

The camera is really bad. If anything I feel like people are cutting it slack. It can cause serious problems in a fight. It's confusing that it could make it through playtesting, even on time constraints. I feel kinda bad for saying it, but playing Rising kinda makes me want to just pop Vanquish in instead for some serious action zen.

EDIT: Cause it makes more sense in this post. Still not a fan of hit stun. I'd rather just eat some extra damage and keep the flow going instead of having to mash a stick.

Neiteio

The camera is really bad. If anything I feel like people are cutting it slack. It can cause serious problems in a fight. It's confusing that it could make it through playtesting, even on time constraints. I feel kinda bad for saying it, but playing Rising kinda makes me want to just pop Vanquish in instead for some serious action zen.
As someone who loves Vanquish but loves Rising even more, I don't think I can go back to Vanquish and not long for the ability to ninja run past all of the robots slicing and dicing them.

As someone who loves Vanquish but loves Rising even more, I don't think I can go back to Vanquish and not long for the ability to ninja run past all of the robots slicing and dicing them.

Haha, well it's cool that some people like Rising more and makes me glad they're dishing out enough action to find every player's sweet spot.

TP

The camera isn't bad, use hard lock on.

I'm on my eight playthrough and the only time the camera gives me trouble is when i'm disguised.

Mike M

Nick N
Fucking decimated the last boss in like... Two minutes while taking zero damage. Thank you based Muramasa upgrades!

Revengeance, motherfucker! REVENGEANCE!
Also, Infinite Wig B. Also, only on hard. I'm weak : (

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

I played the Vanquish demo when it came out and it looked like something I could definitely enjoy, but I couldn't really get over the lack of a jump button.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Happens to everyone, maybe just staying in the air will nullify it but I'll try it when I get up to it.

He jumps and grabs you if you do it too early. It's really hard to time

The best most consistent method is to dodge and then ninja run circles around him until he stops

demidar

He jumps and grabs you if you do it too early. It's really hard to time

The best most consistent method is to dodge and then ninja run circles around him until he stops

That's one jacked senator then. If he had a pipe and a spinning lariat move we'd all be fucked.

Neiteio

I played the Vanquish demo when it came out and it looked like something I could definitely enjoy, but I couldn't really get over the lack of a jump button.
While it does seem odd you can't manually jump (especially since you jump all over in cutscenes), the gameplay in Vanquish works perfectly fine without it. Rocket-sliding all over the place is where it's at. Like RE6, however, you shouldn't play it like a cover shooter.

Astral

I don't know if everyone already knows this about the final boss but,
when he charges at you and time slows down a bit, let the QTE happen. I think if you try to attack him at this time you'll enter the QTE where Raiden punches the shit out of him. This QTE takes like 50% of his HP so it's really useful. Chances are he'll event try to heal himself right after, so that's even more free damage. Other times instead of the punch QTE he knocks Raiden down and tries to elbow drop him. I'm not sure if the two are random or not.

BY2K

Membero Americo
zjwv6HZ.jpg

FUCK YOU, MONSOON, YOU PIECES OF SHIT!

It's that easy to no damage Sundowner? Compared to Monsoon? I know I heard you can cheap him out by circling around him in Ninja Run and doing light attacks but...

I was a man and destroyed his shield and I still no-damaged him on my first try. Just remember to bring a surface-to-air missile launcher and take out the Hammerheads while Sundowner is boasting about how invincible he is.

chrono01

Well I finally got all of the Left Arm/ID's, as well as VR Missions. I was going for the codec achievement, and spammed the conversation buttons at every possible moment [yes, during bosses too] and I didn't get it yet.

I only have the final boss left, here's hoping...I won't go through the game again for that achievement if I don't get it. As interesting as they are [the first time around], it drastically lowers my enjoyment of the game having to stop, pause, and listen. -_-

Llyranor

Yes! Unlockable
sombrero
! I knew I wanted to wear that for the rest of the game after the cutscene.

Just got to
Monsoon
. Amazing game/combat so far. I'm starting to get a proper grasp of parries and dodge (the
GRAD
fight - great boss, btw - forced me to learn that). Though, it's true, the controls aren't as technically perfect as they are in Bayonetta.

RangerBAD

Well I finally got all of the Left Arm/ID's, as well as VR Missions. I was going for the codec achievement, and spammed the conversation buttons at every possible moment [yes, during bosses too] and I didn't get it yet.

I only have the final boss left, here's hoping...I won't go through the game again for that achievement if I don't get it. As interesting as they are [the first time around], it drastically lowers my enjoyment of the game having to stop, pause, and listen. -_-

I'm kind of wondering if that trophy stacks with playthroughs.

Astral

How did you do it? I can't for the life of me get past 80% without getting hit. ;_;

What I do is use the Pincer Blade's charge attack right when the fight starts, then pray that he does one of his slower attacks, dodge it, and continue attacking him with another charged Pincer attack or just regular Murasama attacks. That should get his HP down to 70% where he starts his next phase. After that it's pretty easy not to get hit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I went into VR Mission 19 thinking it was going to be a nightmare based on what I was hearing in here. I beat it after about three tries. VR Mission 18 was more of a pain in the ass, but some of the advice in this thread really helped out. So, of the nightmare VR Missions, I just have 17 left, right?

BY2K

Membero Americo
What I do is use the Pincer Blade's charge attack right when the fight starts, then pray that he does one of his slower attacks, dodge it, and continue attacking him with another charged Pincer attack or just regular Murasama attacks. That should get his HP down to 70% where he starts his next phase. After that it's pretty easy not to get hit.

When the fight starts I start using Ninja Run and wait for him to get close to me and start attacking. Depending on the attack I'll either keep running or wait for the attack to end and attack him with the Pincers.

Also, I noticed that if you bring him to 40.0% after the first 2 sets of vehicle throws, he will skip the third one (3 and 4 vehicles launched at you) and go directly to Lorentz Force. It actually messes up which lines he'll say. (He'll say Welcome to my utopia of death instead of Lorentz Force GO), so the last phase actually gets easier because you won't have to dodge the 5 and 6 vehicle throws, as 3 and 4 are easy.

chrono01

I'm kind of wondering if that trophy stacks with playthroughs.

The codec achievement? It does, but even then it's impossible to remember which conversations you have/haven't heard before, so you essentially need to re-start the entire process again until you receive it.

I'm not going through that hell again!

RangerBAD

I just use the first strike of the pincer and dodge to get rid of the recovery frames. Block and pincer attack, when he hits 70% I do as many pincer attacks as I can. His pattern does ramp up in Very Hard and he starts to do multiple donkey kicks in a row and throws them in at the end of a sai combo string. Just have to be on your toes for his attacks. I really had to up my game and basically block all his strings. Whenever he finishes his smoke attack, I usually get him with a pincer hit. You actually don't have to be too close to hit him.

Sek's have you seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoJGhttuwIQ&list=PL9QX5HGplse9vMnXJUDxOVDDNop8PBOwz&index=35? This taught me a lot.

The codec achievement? It does, but even then it's impossible to remember which conversations you have/haven't heard before, so you essentially need to re-start the entire process again until you receive it.

I'm not going through that hell again!

I remember I forgot to do them for a few bosses, so that might be a good starting point for me.

chrono01

I remember I forgot to do them for a few bosses, so that might be a good starting point for me.

For sure. They have different lines for each "phase" of the boss fight too [for instance, when
Sam
has his sword and when he doesn't]. Also, apparently you get other conversations when you slash off the clothes of a civilian, and if you fail to rescue them.

Apparently only 400 [out of 550] is needed, and I used the codec like crazy through my play-through. I find it hard to believe that I missed out on 150 of them. -_-

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Like I said earlier, I've been trying to P. Blades but I either whiff, or the attack comes out and I dodge right after it comes out to where it doesn't do damage. Apparently you want to YYY (triangle trangle triangle for PS3 but I'm using X-box notations despite being on PS3 so fuck it) triple attack but after the second attack, hold Y to charge the third one to do massive damage, but that seems REALLY unpredictable to do in that battle.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I went into VR Mission 19 thinking it was going to be a nightmare based on what I was hearing in here. I beat it after about three tries. VR Mission 18 was more of a pain in the ass, but some of the advice in this thread really helped out. So, of the nightmare VR Missions, I just have 17 left, right?

Congrats, I'm still stuck in the fresh hell of 17, 18, and 19 all to go.

RangerBAD

For sure. They have different lines for each "phase" of the boss fight too [for instance, when
Sam
has his sword and when he doesn't]. Also, apparently you get other conversations when you slash off the clothes of a civilian, and if you fail to rescue them.

Apparently only 400 [out of 550] is needed, and I used the codec like crazy through my play-through. I find it hard to believe that I missed out on 150 of them. -_-

You're probably just missing the last boss stuff.

Like I said earlier, I've been trying to P. Blades but I either whiff, or the attack comes out and I dodge right after it comes out to where it doesn't do damage. Apparently you want to YYY (triangle trangle triangle for PS3 but I'm using X-box notations despite being on PS3 so fuck it) triple attack but after the second attack, hold Y to charge the third one to do massive damage, but that seems REALLY unpredictable to do in that battle.

Just watch that video and you only charge the first attack (hold down triangle).

RangerBAD

Yeah, considering that there's three different "phases" [at least] for the final boss, there should be a decent amount left to get my achievement.

Well, at least, that's what I'm hoping for.

I still need the dwarf gekko one. I'm not sure how it works. If I understand it, I have to do it in one go and not continue or restart which is impossible on Revengeance.

Top Bottom