• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TP

Boy I really hope the PS4 video sharing Sony showed off works well when the console releases. I'll finally be able to see the camera troubles people complain about in action games.

In the meantime here's some advice

tfr5rLa.jpg

Boy I really hope the PS4 video sharing Sony showed off works well when the console releases. I'll finally be able to see the camera troubles people complain about in action games.

tfr5rLa.jpg

Cool snark but the camera is actually unforgivable in this particular title, despite its other successes.

tfr5rLa.jpg
No really, I have little problem with camera in games and don't notice it in other games that people claim have camera issues, but MGR's has a mind of its own sometimes and can be actively bad when it feels like.

In a boss fight? Locked on to the them? Let's just look up in the sky right now and completely hide the enemy you need to be looking at.

Hah, I like the positioning of the finishing scene. What's up with the red blood? Thought theirs was white, unless that's only for choppable enemies.

TP

Cool snark but the camera is actually unforgivable in this particular title, despite its other successes.

Yeah that definitely came off as snarky, I didn't mean it

But no the camera is fine if you use hard lock on. I've used hard lock since I started playing and i've had no problems with the camera in combat. none. The same is true for any other action game with a camera that can be recentered (Bayo, NGB, NG2, etc.)

I'm being honest when I say I want to see other players and how they handle the camera in action games. Under what circumstances is the camera giving them trouble? Are they surrounded? Up against a wall? Are they using lock on? moving it with the right stick? The idea of giving them tips while they play or "take control" and show them yourself is real neat.

In a boss fight? Locked on to the them? Let's just look up in the sky right now and completely hide the enemy you need to be looking at.

I've played a good amount and i've never had anything like that happen. Maybe i'm just lucky, I really hope Sony delivers with video sharing.

I don't know what the update did, but it sure as fuck didn't fix the camera

Where are you playing from? system? I just launched the ps3 version in West NA and didn't get prompted for an update

I used the wig for that part but I actually don't think I needed it. For the most part it came down to learning where every enemy spawned and shooting the crap out of them. I actually beat the GRAD with the turrets. It was a huge pain in the ass. I didn't know I could just EMP it and rocket it to death.
Hmm. I hadn't thought about using the turret on the GRAD but how do you manage to avoid the huge swarm of bullets that's sent at you once the GRAD reaches the centre of the lobby after spawning? Is the turret that quick? The other problem I was wondering is the second wave (I think it is) when the lobby fills with gun and rocket wielding enemies. I presume you'd shoot down the ones on the platform first (and kill the RPG enemies) and then just pray the rest don't hit the turret?

Hmm. I hadn't thought about using the turret on the GRAD but how do you manage to avoid the huge swarm of bullets that's sent at you once the GRAD reaches the centre of the lobby after spawning? Is the turret that quick? The other problem I was wondering is the second wave (I think it is) when the lobby fills with gun and rocket wielding enemies. I presume you'd shoot down the ones on the platform first (and kill the RPG enemies) and then just pray the rest don't hit the turret?
Bullets are nothing, the lobby scene can seem like a clusterfuck but there are only two things you should concern yourself with to make it smoother. During the second spawn wave of soldiers on the pillars, the left one on the right pillar will RPG, kill him, then two other RPG troops run to the center of the lobby. Take them out and the rest is a relative breeze until the GRAD comes in. You can pretty much ignore all of its offense except for the red homing missiles it shoots, keep alternating between shooting those down and then focus firing on the GRAD and you should be fine.

Inaba has a cat, right? You can tell he loves cats. Pre Monsoon fight when you're in first person, look to the right. After a while the soldier starts to play with the white cat from the coast in R-01.

eXistor

Finished it last night. Holy shit I loved the end-fight, I got so into it! It took me the better part of an hour on hard, but I did it! Felt really good I tell ya. I don't mind the bat-shit insanity at the end, the whole game was bordering on tghe ridiculous anyway and I don't really care about the whole Metal Gear story as a whole. Great game, especially considering the short-ish dev cycle. Platinum can do no wrong.

Jintor

Yeah that definitely came off as snarky, I didn't mean it

But no the camera is fine if you use hard lock on. I've used hard lock since I started playing and i've had no problems with the camera in combat. none. The same is true for any other action game with a camera that can be recentered (Bayo, NGB, NG2, etc.)

I'm being honest when I say I want to see other players and how they handle the camera in action games. Under what circumstances is the camera giving them trouble? Are they surrounded? Up against a wall? Are they using lock on? moving it with the right stick? The idea of giving them tips while they play or "take control" and show them yourself is real neat.

I barely noticed the camera being problematic till I started Very Hard. Fucking thing is swinging all over the place, reorientated it while I'm trapped in a blockstring, reorientating directional parrying in the middle of a massive brawl, I can't keep up.

Where are you playing from? system? I just launched the ps3 version in West NA and didn't get prompted for an update

PS3 in AU

didn't have much trouble with the camera in story mode. VR missions were pretty bad sometimes. you can get jumped from every direction offscreen. it'll make you mad.

Gloam

Finally beat the
last guy
, it was all about the blade mode! Looking forward to diving back in on hard, want to get some new costumes.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wait. I the Japanese version Sam is the only one with red blood?

The white blood is due to cybernetics and Sam is just a (mostly) normal dude, so yeah. It works well considering you slash through white all through the game and the red from him is an immediate giveaway.

Pretty cool. I wish we had an option to toggle the blood types.

Just beat the game earlier today. Played through my first time on hard. Didn't have too much trouble. Hardest portions were early before upgrades, but some parts throughout were difficult and required a few replays.

That final boss however took me hours.
I went into that battle having completely run out of repair nanopastes, after exhausting my supply on the battle against Excelsus right before, and never thought I would win. Oddly enough I had no problem at all in phase 2, as it seems most have had, by doing it on my first try. My problem was phase 3. Having to adjust to using manual Blade Mode was the biggest problem I had. Those fire walls about made me lose it as well.

Also really nice to see
Sunny again and find out what she is doing now.

Bullets are nothing, the lobby scene can seem like a clusterfuck but there are only two things you should concern yourself with to make it smoother. During the second spawn wave of soldiers on the pillars, the left one on the right pillar will RPG, kill him, then two other RPG troops run to the center of the lobby. Take them out and the rest is a relative breeze until the GRAD comes in. You can pretty much ignore all of its offense except for the red homing missiles it shoots, keep alternating between shooting those down and then focus firing on the GRAD and you should be fine.

Wait, I feel there's a bit of a misunderstanding. I was inquiring specifically about acquiring the "No Damage" bonus without using the wigs as opposed to just S ranking it (with the Wigs you can just fire homing missiles at the enemies from behind the glass barrier to defeat them without damage and then just EMP the GRAD, use an RPG, throw a grenade again and repeat to beat it without damage but I'm wondering if it's possible to beat it without the Wigs [since it seems odd to make acquiring a No Damage bonus reliant upon a 'cheat' item]). Apologies if I wasn't clear beforehand.

Also congratulations on the platinum Jett!

Jintor

Jesus fucking christ I just can't do this second stage of the final boss on Very Hard. What the hell triggers the unblockable that'll get me to stage three instead of the three unblockables that kick my ass?

I seriously got that asshole down to 98.0 and he aura bursted me into a wall.

/edit bizarre, it randomly triggered at 99.0 for some reason after he hit raiden with an aura burst that normally would have just killed his ass. WTF

Ferr986

Jesus fucking christ I just can't do this second stage of the final boss on Very Hard. What the hell triggers the unblockable that'll get me to stage three instead of the three unblockables that kick my ass?

It happened to me yesterday.
I think I had to wait over 2 mins to the scene to trigger.
Just evade the shit out of it and damage him only when it feels safe, evasion without weapon is actually really useful.

Now Im stuch at phase 3 lol

Wait, I feel there's a bit of a misunderstanding. I was inquiring specifically about acquiring the "No Damage" bonus without using the wigs as opposed to just S ranking it (with the Wigs you can just fire homing missiles at the enemies from behind the glass barrier to defeat them without damage and then just EMP the GRAD, use an RPG, throw a grenade again and repeat to beat it without damage but I'm wondering if it's possible to beat it without the Wigs [since it seems odd to make acquiring a No Damage bonus reliant upon a 'cheat' item]). Apologies if I wasn't clear beforehand.
Nah it's my bad, didn't look into the full context of that string of quotes.

Jintor

Well after I got through that abombination of a fist fight it only took me 5 minutes to completely devour his third stage. Parrying not eating your health really helps.

It happened to me yesterday.
I think I had to wait over 2 mins to the scene to trigger.
Just evade the shit out of it and damage him only when it feels safe, evasion without weapon is actually really useful.

Now Im stuch at phase 3 lol
I love how the dodge w/o sword is his ninja flip from mgs2.

Carbonox

My VR Mission update:

Mission 19 finally done and dusted. Bit of a nuisance but whatever, glad it's over.

That leaves Missions 17 and 18. Managed to beat 17 but AFTER the time required for Gold, so gotta go through this horrendous piece of shit again. Seriously, ridiculous time requirement and the piece of shit secondary weapon controls and no way to legitimately evade damage is some cheap ass twattery.

With 18, I'm now able to get to the 3rd phase with the Wolf but alas, I keep failing due to the cunt camera. Over time I'm sure I'll past this phase but it's still a pile of shit.

I seriously got that asshole down to 98.0 and he aura bursted me into a wall.

/edit bizarre, it randomly triggered at 99.0 for some reason after he hit raiden with an aura burst that normally would have just killed his ass. WTF

Take your time. I had issues with his AOE attack mostly, but I basically had to just take my time. A couple of hits and then dodge out (2-3 backflips to stay away from AOE). He pretty much just repeated the same pattern at one point: AOE, invinsible dash, double punch, AOE....

Phase 3 is similar, you can't just go in and expect miracles. Straight away just run to the side and he'll do 1 or 2 ground punches. Go in for a few hits, he'll then do a combo or AOE so run away/dodge. Better to stay away if has the wall of fire up as he prefers to stand too close to it and eventually you'll clip it and take damage. His eruption move should be easy to dodge as well, just stay away from the cracks and watch out for his approaching dash. Repeat... so far he's behaved the same way on every difficulty. Not sure about Revengeance, currently doing that.

MCD

Chapter 4 was awful, awful filler material.

And the camera is still shit but at least I can ripper mode my way instead of slashing like a goddamn moron for god knows how long till these fuckers die.

And the boss was zzz. Mistral is still the best so far. Monsoon was ok, just hated how he made his poor ass longer by throwing shit at me and getting invincible just because.

Sephzilla

Any confirmation what the V2 patch takes care of?

Also, I still dont think the camera in this game is that bad. It feels pretty par for the course for action games for me, plus I just use the lock on a lot and that fixes a lot of issues for me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Any confirmation what the V2 patch takes care of?

Also, I still dont think the camera in this game is that bad. It feels pretty par for the course for action games for me, plus I just use the lock on a lot and that fixes a lot of issues for me.

The problem is that the camera doens't know how to behave in a small space, so it wigs out to desperately find the target you've locked onto and often fails to do so still. It's more evident in the VR Missions.

I think V2 was the first patch that hit at launch. I'm not sure what the next patch did.

Sephzilla

The problem is that the camera doens't know how to behave in a small space, so it wigs out to desperately find the target you've locked onto and often fails to do so still. It's more evident in the VR Missions.

I think V2 was the first patch that hit at launch. I'm not sure what the next patch did.

Yeah, the smaller spaces thing is the only time I notice any issues at all. Wish they'd patch that and just have the camera go through walls and make said walls transparent when Raiden gets near them. Would help a lot.

Lunar15

I never had many camera problems. The elevator part was the only area where I can say it was an issue at all.

I'm not saying it's not a bad camera, just that it never actively annoyed me.

Sephzilla

I never had many camera problems. The elevator part was the only area where I can say it was an issue at all.

I'm not saying it's not a bad camera, just that it never actively annoyed me.

That's pretty much my sentiment. The camera never did smart things or anything like that but at the same time I never really ran into any issues that truly annoyed me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I've got to say that I never really had big issues with it during the story. Yeah, it might be a nuisance once in a while, but nothing I couldn't adjust to. In VR Mission 18, though, the camera would actually get me killed because you die in basically one hit that you can't see. I eventually got good at parrying attacks based on timing and general direction rather than actual reaction.

The camera was occasionally a bother (usually when an enemy leaped off screen and it wouldn't follow him/was too slow to manually look for him before I got attacked), but the worst thing it does is get caught behind walls. It's not an uncommon experience if your back is to a wall and you go in to blade mode or you were pinned against a wall by rockets and all the enemies decided to crowd around you.

The problem is that the camera can't phase through level geometry but still tries very hard to maintain a set distance away from Raiden, and can only really move along one plane. It isn't as much of an issue of not being able to see things, it's that it often moves unpredictably when it's "squeezed" against the edges of the stage, sometimes even overriding your lock-on. It's especially pronounced and aggravating since parry is attached to the camera.

The two things that would instantly make the camera 90% better is either have it phase through walls, or it being allowed to move along the vertical axis. If when Raiden comes to a wall, the camera just slides up to look down on Raiden, as opposed to being squeezed between his buttcheeks or shoot off in a random direction whenever you're about to parry, most of its issues would be resolved.

Raxus

As mentioned earlier the camera problems are exacerbated in the VR missions and when you are fighting Mastiffs who jump everywhere and blocking can become a bit of a guessing game. It doesn't help that it actively fights against you at points and refuses to look at the enemies your fighting after a Zandetsu or if you are running towards an enemy. Extremely large enemies and projectiles towards the top the the screen can be difficult to hit as well (unless you vertical slice).

Zooming out a bit and clipping the camera through a wall would fix so much. When I was doing my no damage run on Monsoon on Revengence I had to run even in dangerous conditions because if she pushed me to a wall (which was sometimes unavoidable) it became impossible to predict his movements.

Top Bottom