• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Ferr986

Goddamn it seems like I really hit a wall with the final boss in VH.

I mean, the damage the flames does is just too much, and its too easy to get bumped back and forth between multiple walls and lose 2 medipacks in a row.

If I start a new game in another difficulty, I could go back to the fight or I would have to restart all my VH run?
I still need to get some unlockables but I dont see myself beating this. It was not bad in Hard but this..ugh.

I mean, the damage the flames does is just too much, and its too easy to get bumped back and forth between multiple walls and lose 2 medipacks in a row.

If I start a new game in another difficulty, I could go back to the fight or I would have to restart all my VH run?
I still need to get some unlockables but I dont see myself beating this. It was not bad in Hard but this..ugh.

How much trouble are you having with his actual attacks? The flames are annoying, but he doesn't have that many moves with them and they're all scripted enough to give you a few seconds leeway in terms of preparing.

Riposte

If I was doing a naked run, I would still allow upgrades that give you moves. Air Parry and dodge for sure at least. Plus I don't want to play this game without a stinger.

Isn't the Gray Fox costume supposed to be included in the PAL version? How is it unlocked or does it appear on the store on a later date? The store page only has MGS4 costume.

Ferr986

How much trouble are you having with his actual attacks?

Fuck me, more than 2 hours trying it, and when I come to complain at GAF, I beat it just at the next try lol

Thanks anyways. That was, like the most hard shit I did in this gen... I really had luck he didnt do much of his fire attacks, he spammed a lot of grab moves in this one, that are really easy to avoid.

Mike M

Nick N

You'd have to restart the chapter, but not the whole game.

I presume you're opposed to using wigs? Infinite Wig B absolutely destroys him once he gets to the health recharging bit.

EDIT: Well then never mind! Grats!

Carbonox

OMGOMFOMGOMOMFOMGOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I FINALY BEAT VR MISSION 17777777777777777777

My reaction was literally

6sxvdu9ljqd.gif

I beat it with 45 seconds to spare and was LUCKY because I managed to gang the Raptors together in the corner while I stand in a Stinger spawn point and spam rockets for teh lulz.

That leaves VR Mission 18 which is a CUNT. I can't fucking beat phase 3 with the Wolf.

GIVE ME TIPS

Sephzilla

I wish the VR missions let you enter them with all of your accumulated perks. I know it would break the challenge of them, but idk, it would be nice.

(Or at the very least, let your perks carry over but ban stuff like wigs and the gray fox sword)

Carbonox

I wish the VR missions let you enter them with all of your accumulated perks. I know it would break the challenge of them, but idk, it would be nice.

(Or at the very least, let your perks carry over but ban stuff like wigs and the gray fox sword)

I dunno, I reckon it would break them, especially in the normal (eliminate all enemies) missions. If I were allowed in with my fully maxed out Muramasa and able to activate Ripper mode, mission 18 would be so easy.

Sephzilla

I dunno, I reckon it would break them, especially in the normal (eliminate all enemies) missions. If I were allowed in with my fully maxed out Muramasa and able to activate Ripper mode, mission 18 would be so easy.

Yeah, you're probably right.

I guess part of me still just wants something akin to Bloody Palace mode in this game.

Scarecrow

did you blade mode or dodge the rocks?

I hated the last fight until I past the rocks. Then I could enjoy it.

Last Bosses are supposed to challenge you on the games mechanics ;)

I just flicked the stick in the direction and it eventually worked.

I know games are supposed to challenge you with their mechanics, but i just never used that particular method when slicing dudes. Reminds me of the end of Twilight Princess where you had to use the goat herding technique you use at the start of the game and, like, no where else.

I know games are supposed to challenge you with their mechanics, but i just never used that particular method when slicing dudes. Reminds me of the end of Twilight Princess where you had to use the goat herding technique you use at the start of the game and, like, no where else.

I still don't trust using the sticks to slice. Lining up the slice, sure---but I still use the face buttons. Might be my controller, I dunno---but it almost never works right for me.

mattp

flick the stick?

i feel like a lot of people are missing the way the analog blade mode works
line it up with the stick and then just let go. it slices as the stick snaps back to neutral

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
That leaves VR Mission 18 which is a CUNT. I can't fucking beat phase 3 with the Wolf.
GIVE ME TIPS

That's the only really hard part. My strategy was to lure the Wolf away from the rest and parry him for an insta-kill. Then, carefully dispatch of the mini-geckos with the Polearm. Finally, charge Pincer Blades to take care of the Hammer Bros.

Raxus

OMGOMFOMGOMOMFOMGOGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I FINALY BEAT VR MISSION 17777777777777777777

My reaction was literally

6sxvdu9ljqd.gif

I beat it with 45 seconds to spare and was LUCKY because I managed to gang the Raptors together in the corner while I stand in a Stinger spawn point and spam rockets for teh lulz.

GIVE ME TIPS
Tons of weapon swaps for VR 18. Good news is Phase 3 is the hardest. Bad news is Phase 3 is the hardest.

When you get to phase 3 focus on the wolf. Switch to sword with no alt and do the forward forward Y/Triangle attack on him until he is weakened and nearly dead. Blade cancel after a dash to do more damage faster. Wolf goes down fast but the hammer guys are constantly on your ass. After Wolf is down good news is things only get easier. Switch to the staff and kill the Dwarf Gekkos. They have nearly no health and with blade cancels you can take 'em down fast. Now the final challenge, the two hammer guys. Switch to Sai, stun lock and take them down slow and safe. Remember the last phases of the fight are easy and will only need 1-2 minutes to complete tops. All you have to do is weaken a hammer dude enough to expose an arm, slice it off and he will disappear soon enough. Taking down the last one is easy pickings.

After phase 3 is down you fight 3 easy Dwarf Gekkos, and the a GRAD. Stun lock the GRAD with the Sai and you are home free. I finished the mission in under 7 minutes. Hope this helps.

Carbonox

Tons of weapon swaps for VR 18. Good news is Phase 3 is the hardest. Bad news is Phase 3 is the hardest.

When you get to phase 3 focus on the wolf. Switch to sword with no alt and do the forward forward Y attack on him until he is weakened and nearly dead. Blade cancel after a dash to do more damage faster. Wolf goes down fast but the hammer guys are constantly on your ass. After Wolf is down good news is things only get easier. Switch to the staff and kill the Dwarf Gekkos. They have nearly no health and with blade cancels you can take 'em down fast. Now the final challenge, the two hammer guys. Switch to Sai, stun lock and take them down slow and safe. Remember the last phases of the fight are easy and will only need 1-2 minutes to complete tops. All you have to do is weaken a hammer dude enough to expose an arm, slice it off and he will disappear soon enough. Taking down the last one is easy pickings.

After phase 3 is down you fight 3 easy Dwarf Gekkos, and the a GRAD. Stun lock the GRAD with the Sai and you are home free. I finished the mission in under 7 minutes. Hope this helps.

So no side weapon is recommended for Wolf? Hmm OK. I'll give the launcher tactic a try.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ah, that MasterLL shows he has Level 5 Pincer blade and Level 5 Sais, that's why I'm not doing as much damage as him. Guess I'm going to grind some BP and come back to this.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So no side weapon is recommended for Wolf? Hmm OK. I'll give the launcher tactic a try.

He's actually recommending Stinger, which works well since it always knocks the Wolf back, though Launcher does more damage per second. I had some difficulty keeping an eye on the Wolf and the approaching Hammer Bros. and Dwarf Geckos. I don't think you need a subweapon against Wolf. Either take it out fast or parry it.

Endo Punk

So we should find out next week how well it performed in NA .The game is still in the top 10 in Europe and done exceedingly well in Japan. Im expecting total sales of 400k in NA which would be great.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So we should find out next week how well it performed in NA .The game is still in the top 10 in Europe and done exceedingly well in Japan. Im expecting total sales of 400k which would be great.

It's anecdotal, but MGR PS3 is still in the Top 100 in Games on Amazon.com. Fairly certain that DmC dropped off that list by this time after release, so it's at least doing better than that. There's also multiple SKUs and more competition this month, so that also weighs into it.

Carbonox

He's actually recommending Stinger, which works well since it always knocks the Wolf back, though Launcher does more damage per second. I had some difficulty keeping an eye on the Wolf and the approaching Hammer Bros. and Dwarf Geckos. I don't think you need a subweapon against Wolf. Either take it out fast or parry it.

Ah Stinger. I never use that in the main game. :lol I keep forgetting which inputs are for what though. I'll definitely abuse Stinger though for Wolf.

Sephzilla

So we should find out next week how well it performed in NA .The game is still in the top 10 in Europe and done exceedingly well in Japan. Im expecting total sales of 400k in NA which would be great.

It's anecdotal, but MGR PS3 is still in the Top 100 in Games on Amazon.com. Fairly certain that DmC dropped off that list by this time after release, so it's at least doing better than that. There's also multiple SKUs and more competition this month, so that also weighs into it.

I'm mixed on wanting to know MGR's US sales. I mean, I'm excited to know how well it did here after seeing how well it did in Japan and Europe. But at the same time, if MGR does exceedingly well here it's going to turn into debate central again because the DmC Defense Force is going to roar back to life. And I need a hiatus from silly debating. I'm predicting 300-350k US sales for MGR, putting it roughly on par with Japan. 400k or above would stun me, honestly. The game has great word of mouth and has the Metal Gear name on top of that, but even DMC4 didn't crack 400k its first week in the US and that was the best selling hack-and-slasher this gen besides God of War 3.

019 was the last and probably the worst for me. i accidently switched targets on the last pack or fenrir or they got too much damage while i wrecked another one and exploded. my time was 6:50.

finally done. i'm not buying the DLC if they don't put more effort into the design of these.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"YOUR MEME HAS BEEN CUT OFF, JACK!"

Got Monsoon down to 40% like twice out of the 50+ attempts I did with the level 3 P. blades. I'm starting to get the hang of it but dodging his Sai rush is IMPOSSIBLE unless I have a lot of backward dodging space. Dodging left or right may work if I get lucky.

But yeah, as soon as he hits 40% he throws his Sai and I completely fucking miss the parry and get hit. RAGE. I could get his ass now if he'd stop using cheap-ass bullshit-hits on me.

In that you're completely mincing up fodder that has no hope to properly combat you? Very yes.

Like a jedi

Pretty much, it goes through cyborgs like a hot knife through butter

can't wait to recreate the GrayFox hallway scene in MGS1/TTS in every level of MGR

All future Metal Gear-branded games will seem boring after Rising.

He doesn't want to ruin Ground Zeroes by playing the better game first.

LOL

TIME TO LEAVE THEM ALL BEHINDDDDD

Neiteio

Does Monsoon have the most moves of any boss? Seems that way. I'm probably forgetting some, but:

- Repeat kicks on the ground
- Repeat sai strikes on ground
- Launches Raiden, spikes him to ground, pins and stabs
- Detached limb dodging
- Whirlwind o' body parts projectiles
- Upper torso spin attack
- Lower torso kick attack
- Whirling lunge attack
- Extendo-hand sai stabbing
- Flinging choppers and APCs
- Lorentz Force a.k.a. Wheel of Misfortune
- Grand finale with the obelisk

Feel like I'm forgetting something. Amazing boss, although the final boss is my fave.

BY2K

Membero Americo
"YOUR MEME HAS BEEN CUT OFF, JACK!"

Got Monsoon down to 40% like twice out of the 50+ attempts I did with the level 3 P. blades. I'm starting to get the hang of it but dodging his Sai rush is IMPOSSIBLE unless I have a lot of backward dodging space. Dodging left or right may work if I get lucky.

But yeah, as soon as he hits 40% he throws his Sai and I completely fucking miss the parry and get hit. RAGE. I could get his ass now if he'd stop using cheap-ass bullshit-hits on me.

Keep practicing parry, you'll get it eventually.

Minamu

Damn that last boss is hard :( Also, I just read that there's a dodge mechanic... I had seen it in the demo but totally forgot about it here. When does the game mention this? O_O All boss fights after Mistral have kicked my ass beyond words, having relied on healing items to chip away at their health :(

Damn that last boss is hard :( Also, I just read that there's a dodge mechanic... I had seen it in the demo but totally forgot about it here. When does the game mention this? O_O All boss fights after Mistral have kicked my ass beyond words, having relied on healing items to chip away at their health :(

it's a move you buy in the game

The help menu show's the command list on all moves

Got to
SAM
without any health packs. I know you can pick them up there but it's not easy to track them down.

I think I'm done. I like the game but it's just too frustrating an experience at times. Way too much trial and error for me. I wish I could adjust the difficulty on the fly because I honestly have no intention of going back and playing this through again on easy just so I can get past this point.

Platinum - you have beaten me.

Edit: I know how to parry. That isn't the issue.

Top Bottom