• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

rvy

Banned
The problem is that the camera can't phase through level geometry but still tries very hard to maintain a set distance away from Raiden, and can only really move along one plane. It isn't as much of an issue of not being able to see things, it's that it often moves unpredictably when it's "squeezed" against the edges of the stage, often even overriding your lock-on. It's especially pronounced and aggravating since parry is attached to the camera.

Yeah, was about to post this. Hopefully it's easily fixable via patch?

Sephzilla

The problem is that the camera can't phase through level geometry but still tries very hard to maintain a set distance away from Raiden, and can only really move along one plane. It isn't as much of an issue of not being able to see things, it's that it often moves unpredictably when it's "squeezed" against the edges of the stage, often even overriding your lock-on. It's especially pronounced and aggravating since parry is attached to the camera.

The two things that would instantly make the camera 90% better is either have it phase through walls, or it being allowed to move along the vertical axis. If when Raiden comes to a wall, the camera just slides up to look down on Raiden, as opposed to being squeezed between his buttcheeks or shoot off in a random direction whenever you're about to parry, most of its issues would be resolved.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Just allow the camera to clip through geometry.

Endo Punk

Camera definitely spazzes out at times but it didn't really get in the way as much as I thought it would reading about it here. About the only time I had trouble was the melon room with the mastiffs.

On another note I really wish the game had a boss mode but at least Sam fight is a chapter in itself which is great because his my favourite. I still can't figure him out, I had more trouble wth the Senetor on my first try but he clearly has a pattern that can be exploited when you know it. His actually the easiest boss fight now lol but still a lot of fun.

This isn't a camera problem, but I really hate how enemies are invincible immediately after appearing or sometimes after a Zandatsu.

I'll often waste sai charges on an enemy the game doesn't consider valid for targetting yet.

Chapter 4 was awful, awful filler material.

And the camera is still shit but at least I can ripper mode my way instead of slashing like a goddamn moron for god knows how long till these fuckers die.

And the boss was zzz. Mistral is still the best so far. Monsoon was ok, just hated how he made his poor ass longer by throwing shit at me and getting invincible just because.

that's when you use the EMP grenades (I didn't do it my first time thru either)
(sub weapons can actually be useful) lol

Nothing to really add about the camera
It was ok until VR

One particular area that's aggravating purely because of the camera and not enemy composition or level design is the stairs section patrolled by mastiffs and that spawns 2 fenrirs when you either alert them or walk past the halfway point. The layout of the stairs with the small raised platforms is just slightly too narrow for the minimum camera radius around Raiden, and since you need to bring everything to a confined space in order to stop the laserwolf from shooting (or be in a position to stop it once it's charging), you need to go back down to the plaza and draw them into a corner.

I realize that looking at Raiden from a set distance while he's against the wall instead of hovering above him or behind him is probably better for pure visual consistency and screen composition, but the problem is that you're looking at a wall, and the wall never attacks you. The enemies that pushed you there with blockstun or knockback can, though.

Revven

It was ok until VR

Yeah VR really highlights the camera's issues quite well. If you get cornered whatsoever, there's nothing you can do; the camera just loses control and spazzes out or zooms in way close to Raiden's back etc.

MCD

that's when you use the EMP grenades (I didn't do it my first time thru either)
(sub weapons can actually be useful) lol

It was ok until VR

Yeah, I don't fancy using sub weapons but my friend told me about this trick and I was like...OK, THANKS PLATINUM GAMES.

Camera is a pain when whenever I get surrounded by soldiers + mechas and when I was fighting Sundowner it kept locking on the helicopter instead of him for some odd reason.

Game is kinda "heavy" and I am getting old for action games so I am taking my time beating this on hard.

Mike M

Nick N
I never played MGS4, but how much of Raiden is actually human? In the prologue he loses an eye and an arm and there's what appears to be blood, and with his rebuilt body he has a prosthetic lower jaw for no other reason than to be scraped for sparks in slow motion cut scenes. Then in the ending he's got both eyes and a normal looking jaw again. Unless that was supposed to be a flashback, in which case they utterly failed to convey that fact.

turned on my PS3 and PS+ had autodownloaded and installed a patch to Rising too, dunno what it does though or if its just a minor bugfix or something for the trophy glitches.

There is this button called lock-on. Try it.
I never played MGS4, but how much of Raiden is actually human? In the prologue he loses an eye and an arm and there's what appears to be blood, and with his rebuilt body he has a prosthetic lower jaw for no other reason than to be scraped for sparks in slow motion cut scenes. Then in the ending he's got both eyes and a normal looking jaw again. Unless that was supposed to be a flashback, in which case they utterly failed to convey that fact.

He is already cyborg at the prologue/mgs4. The blood is artificial for military use on cyborg bodies. In the end he got a new cyborg eye. And the jaw is his regular cyborg one, he also already has it at the beginning if you look closer in the car.

If I remember correctly the blood is for cooling.

Sephzilla

I think very little of him is actually human at this point. I think for the most part only the upper portions of his skull and his right eye are still human. In regards to his more human appearance at the end, I think he has bit of artificial skin he puts over his prosthetic jaw in order to make himself look a bit more human. If you look closely you'll see lines along his jawline that seem to represent that.

While I like the look of the crazy lower jaw, I kind of wish they'd make a look that's a hybrid of his 'human' and 'cyborg' looks. Like having all of the helmet/visor stuff but still having the human looking jaw. The one thing I noticed is that with the crazy jaw it's a bit harder for him to emote/smile and all of that.

Since the period between MGS2 & MGS4, all he's had remaining from his original body is his spine and head (excluding the lower jaw).

Sephzilla

Since the period between MGS2 & MGS4, all he's had remaining from his original body is his spine and head (excluding the lower jaw).

I'd still like to see a story revolve around Raiden's transformation from MGS2 to MGS4, but that might be tricky to pull off. Plus, I don't want to see MGR take a step back from the crazy over-the-top stuff I liked in MGR

Roto13

Remember when Raiden lost an arm in the prologue and he was like "Ugh, not again"? :p Yeah, that wasn't his original arm. Or anything.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Remember when Raiden lost an arm in the prologue and he was like "Ugh, not again"? :p Yeah, that wasn't his original arm. Or anything.

He used to fight things with a sword in his mouth and no arms but in Rising he can't even do it with one arm. You're getting soft Raiden!

Oh yeah, and I hope there's some sort of detailed analysis of how the lock-on system actually works in this game. It feels like an added parameter for the soft-lock, since you can only lock on to stuff that you would be able to soft-lock, and if the target moves out of range or is somehow forced off-screen it will revert to the soft lock til it finds another target to apply the hard lock to, or just toggle off the lock-on sometimes. I can't really figure out the logic behind it, it's only particularly obvious that something goofy is going on when you lose lock on Monsoon or a GRAD for no apparent reason.

It's better than no lock-on, but it doesn't feel very polished. As weird as DMC3/4's camera felt at times I could always use the controls reliably, which can't really be said for this game.

Yeah, I don't fancy using sub weapons but my friend told me about this trick and I was like...OK, THANKS PLATINUM GAMES.

Camera is a pain when whenever I get surrounded by soldiers + mechas and when I was fighting Sundowner it kept locking on the helicopter instead of him for some odd reason.

Game is kinda "heavy" and I am getting old for action games so I am taking my time beating this on hard.

Funny thing is Platinum does tell you, but they give you a chance to figure it out on your own.

Just like there are stinger missiles when you fight the helicopter, Monsoon drops EMP grenades when you damage the vehicles/debris he throws at you.

Noticed this on my second playthrough :S Hard didnt give much time to notice my first time around.

He used to fight things with a sword in his mouth and no arms but in Rising he can't even do it with one arm. You're getting soft Raiden!

Granted he had time to recover(for lack of a better word) before he started slaying fools with his mouth

Scarecrow

Can I get some help on this final boss? I just can't seem to manually aim my sword right when he throws shit at me. Any tricks to do it right?

Can I get some help on this final boss? I just can't seem to manually aim my sword right when he throws shit at me. Any tricks to do it right?

It was a chore to get used to when I never needed to use the Free Mode over the entire game, but just practice using the two sticks to adjust your trajectory (I realized then that I hadn't even used the left stick most of the time), the game isn't that punishing with time there provided you have a couple of upgrades with your fuel cells. Just make sure you get at least three of the squares in the lineup before slicing.

Prioritize lining up things with the analog sticks. You may have to hold the controller a little funny to do it, but as long as you get them lined up, you should be okay.

you have to use the right stick to adjust the camera before lining up the slash with the left stick (default controls; i think you just have to push up a little)

if you can get your finger to reach that far, once you have everything lined up, hit triangle/y to perform the manual slash

I'd still like to see a story revolve around Raiden's transformation from MGS2 to MGS4, but that might be tricky to pull off. Plus, I don't want to see MGR take a step back from the crazy over-the-top stuff I liked in MGR

I think Kojima might be more guarded with that specific time period, but that initial idea he had as an 'interquel' was full of some good stuff story-wise. Raiden essentially undergoes the same thing that happened to Fox.

He might be more open to it now that Rising saw such welcoming sales though.

Scarecrow

I've been stuck on this guy for like two days. There's just 2-3 seconds to line up this nonsense. Is it just easier to dodge the thing altogether?

Mike M

Nick N
In a pinch, you can just ninja run straight ahead to dodge them. You don't get any repair paste, but it's zero risk

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The squares are actually bigger on lower difficulties too for those sequences

The End

I've been stuck on this guy for like two days. There's just 2-3 seconds to line up this nonsense. Is it just easier to dodge the thing altogether?

Yep, just wait until he actually throws it and ninja run to one side. The risk/reward isn't worth it, if you whiff the cut it's a whole bar of life. If you get handy with the dodge you can parry, dodge, or stagger him out of most of his attacks. I beat him on hard yesterday with nearly 100% health and two pastes remaining.

Dead

well not really...yet
Upgrade your fuel cells to max to give you enough time to line up the cut. make youre youre using both analog triggers to properly center it.

It was a bitch to do it, but once I got it right, I never again failed the cut.

Learn it. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it was even an issue

The risk/reward isn't worth it, if you whiff the cut it's a whole bar of life. If you get handy with the dodge you can parry, dodge, or stagger him out of most of his attacks. I beat him on hard yesterday with nearly 100% health and two pastes remaining.

BS I had no nano repair units going into the fight my first playthrough on hard.

The moment I learned how to cut the rocks, it was raining nano repair units

Allowed me to be a little bit more relaxed and to have fun instead of worrying about the next hit.

Roto13

Cutting the junk he throws at you is not hard unless you don't realize you don't have to cut all four squares, or if you've been doing Blade Mode wrong the entire time (not using the analog stick and just mashing buttons like a loser instead).

Scarecrow

Christ this is dumb. This may be he first game I gave up on on the final boss :|

Which VR mission lets me practice that move?

Learn it. Once you get it, you'll wonder why it was even an issue

BS I had no nano repair units going into the fight my first playthrough on hard.

The moment I learned how to cut the rocks, it was raining nano repair units

Allowed me to be a little bit more relaxed and to have fun instead of worrying about the next hit.

Yeah, unless you're going for S-rank/no-damage or something, I think those things drop like 3-4 nanopastes for you. Risk was certainly worth it for me.

Carbonox

What are people's recommendations for dealing with the Raptors in VR Mission 17? I can handle the Gekko fine but those Raptors are the biggest cunts this side of VR Mission 18.

I have to be incredibly lucky to avoid the Raptors' lunge attack seeing as Raiden isn't fast enough to outrun them, nor can he use SlashDodge/block. You literally have to hope the AI lucks out and they don't lunge at you as often. This is always a risk when you need to replenish your missile launcher ammo.

This mission especially would benefit from a patch so you can at least block.

MCD

Funny thing is Platinum does tell you, but they give you a chance to figure it out on your own.

Just like there are stinger missiles when you fight the helicopter, Monsoon drops EMP grenades when you damage the vehicles/debris he throws at you.

Noticed this on my second playthrough :S Hard didnt give much time to notice my first time around.

lol not blaming PG, I was honestly having a blast slashing his ass.

Screw EMP grenades, gonna take it like a RIPPER I'M BATMAN GRRRRRR.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What are people's recommendations for dealing with the Raptors in VR Mission 17? I can handle the Gekko fine but those Raptors are the biggest cunts this side of VR Mission 18.

I have to be incredibly lucky to avoid the Raptors' lunge attack seeing as Raiden isn't fast enough to outrun them, nor can he use SlashDodge/block. You literally have to hope the AI lucks out and they don't lunge at you as often. This is always a risk when you need to replenish your missile launcher ammo.

This mission especially would benefit from a patch so you can at least block.

I just ninja ran and quickshot the homing missiles until there was one left.

Just learn how to cut a couple of the squares. There's a pattern to the direction you should slash so really, just remember the pattern and all you need to worry about is alignment of just 2 or 3 out of 4 squares.

Can't remember exactly but something like:

FIRST ROUND OF THROWS
First throw is /
Second throw is \
Third is -
Fourth slash the boss

SECOND ROUND
/
\
-
l

Something like that...

Christ this is dumb. This may be he first game I gave up on on the final boss :|

Which VR mission lets me practice that move?

Just keep trying, it's not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
  • Use both analogs to line up the cut.
  • Do NOT swing your right analog for the cut, just release it.
  • Profit!

wanders

If Raiden only has a remaining head and spine, how come Doktor asked about Raiden's spiking heart rate when he saw Mistral?

Dave_6

Well I'm on my 3rd play through (on Hard), just beat LQ-84i and now absolutely cannot get past the fucking bridge part. Died probably 15 times in a row last night and I did not have this issue the first two times through. WTF!?

mattp

last fight was perfect
so intense and long. the way a last boss should be
tests all the skills you've needed to build up throughout the game. zandatsu, dodging, parrying

SO good

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Something I find that I really don't like in this game are stat upgrades

I don't like having to upgrade the damage on weapons and the balance problems something like that presents

It'd be interesting to see if anyone ever is able to complete this game naked on very hard or something. Kinda like that video someone posted in the DMC1 thread of a player beating DMD with all styles at rank 1

because right now it just seems like it'd take forever to kill anything at higher difficulties without upgraded swords

but yeah can't say I'm a fan of how the shop mechanic is handled in Rising. You spend more time buying stats than you do weapons and skills.

Riposte

I don't like having to upgrade the damage on weapons and the balance problems something like that presents

It'd be interesting to see if anyone ever is able to complete this game naked on very hard or something. Kinda like that video someone posted in the DMC1 thread of a player beating DMD with all styles at rank 1

because right now it just seems like it'd take forever to kill anything at higher difficulties without upgraded swords

Yep. I really don't like the upgrade system.

I tried that with the boss level GRAD(s) for shits.

I'm not doing that again.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yep. I really don't like the upgrade system.

It's funny it was actually your posts on the difficulty levels that got me thinking about it.

Specifically in how it relates to NG+

Like how DMC has it because of how central skills and their upgrades are to the game. So there is a significant challenge in playing the game without the bonus of previous playthroughs

While Bayonetta lacks it because it has a much stronger base moveset and lacks any form of persistent upgrades outside of health and meter. So there's really no point to starting fresh on NSIC.

but neither of them do anything related to damage. Minamalist runs are possible in both of those games because damage is consistent across all difficulty levels.

and that's where Rising falls apart, which really became apparent to me during my Naked and Unloved playthrough on hard. Not only does the damage make it hard to do a no upgrade run, but the lack of offensive defense as well.

Not sure if this is a coherent thought. just kinda dumping what I was thinking about in class the other day

I tried that with the boss level GRAD(s) for shits.

I'm not doing that again.

I actually misinterpreted the Naked and Unloved conditions initially and ended up playing up to the Excelsus fight on hard with no upgrades at all.

and the game was just so.....boring. Not only do you have to play extremely safe with no offensive defense but in doing so it takes forever to kill anything with so little damage

and enemies like the hammer bros are a pain since parry is so ineffective vs them.

It really highlighted just how much of a cheat move offensive defense is. I learned alot more about the enemies without it since it just allows you to ignore so much of their shit normally.(like blade mode cancelling my strings to jump Mastiff grabs on reaction. Or learning to avoid Sundowner's unblockable pincer cut by running into him. )

Top Bottom