• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

His point was that the perfect parry will come out too often when someone's doing that, skewing that balance between risk and reward towards the reward part too much.

That really only happens during fast combos like Monsoon sai attacks or water strider spinning locking you into a wall.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
That really only happens during fast combos like Monsoon sai attacks or water strider spinning locking you into a wall.

Yeah, like I said I don't agree with it, but that was his reasoning.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I think it had something to do with me losing internet connection right as I was finishing up the registration. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUCK.

Try registering a new account. I never had to confirm my email so in theory you could just bullshit all the registration fields.

TheChits

Where's the code for the Casshan armor? They should have done a deal with Tatsunoko.

1337656794651.gif

(Prefer the original Casshan, but Casshan from Sins kind of fits with Raiden more.)

Casshern armor would be so fucking awesome.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Man I got shafted. Got to the avatar/quote page before they were out of codes even for the first time and clicking did nothing. Now they're all gone. :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I wanted to play very hard just to get BP to make a few more purchases(unlock weapons for VR missions)

got to the first encounter and prepare to parry the usual 3 guys

and then a mother fucking mastiff swings in and apes me out of no wherer

Turned that shit back on normal for cruise control BP farmin

I wasn't ready

Alright. I'm just about done with this game. I can't beat fucking
Armstrong
. I am in the last fight with him (I think) with
Sam's
Sword. I have no health packs. I can't block everything and then he throws me like a rag doll. I get him down to %150 and he throws something at me and I can't slice the shit correctly in time. Very close to putting this shit down for a while.

Thanks!

Has there been confirmation that the VR missions will hit the 360 in the U.S.? Maybe delayed? I really hate the fact that they show up on my Achievement list, but we supposedly can never get them.

Finished the 1000 last night, now just waiting for the DLC. I'm not sure if it will come out in the U.S. but if all else fails I'll just create a U.K. account and get it that way.

Raxus

"YOUR MEME HAS BEEN CUT OFF, JACK!"

Got Monsoon down to 40% like twice out of the 50+ attempts I did with the level 3 P. blades. I'm starting to get the hang of it but dodging his Sai rush is IMPOSSIBLE unless I have a lot of backward dodging space. Dodging left or right may work if I get lucky.

But yeah, as soon as he hits 40% he throws his Sai and I completely fucking miss the parry and get hit. RAGE. I could get his ass now if he'd stop using cheap-ass bullshit-hits on me.

Instead of going for the counter block it, D/O and continue to block. It is more important you shield yourself from harm then perform a no damage counter. All you have to do in Phase 3 is survive his initial 3 attacks and EMG him, dodge(don't slash) the final volley and you are scott free.

zainetor

Banned
Mastiffs in particular turn from 'slightly annoying' to 'JESUS CHRIST THERE'S TWO OF THEM RUN LIKE FUCK'

Ripper mode actually becomes useful

they should have limited their offscreen attack. If you dont have ripper mode active, they wont just fucking die. at least in revengeance mode, if you parry them they get dameged badly, but on very hard the parry doesn't do shit.

Armstrong
Sam's
Sword. I have no health packs. I can't block everything and then he throws me like a rag doll. I get him down to %150 and he throws something at me and I can't slice the shit correctly in time. Very close to putting this shit down for a while.

I had no health packs for the entire boss fight as well. But if you get through the slicing part, he'll drop tons.

I suppose you need to practise slicing watermelons if you suck at aligning cuts.

It's pretty easy to get him down to 150% though once you get the hang of it, and I don't ever venture above normal difficulty. Ninja run/ Square+ X dodge to reach his back and attack him. Even shuts down his orange glow attack.

Deitus

Armstrong
Sam's

Use offensive defense (X+Square or A+X on 360) to avoid his grabs, and his ground pound and explosion attacks.

As for when he chucks stuff at you and you have to slice it, the timing is much more forgiving than you might think. Take your time and line up your slices, and you should be able to get them all no problem (assuming you've upgraded your fuel capacity at all). If you try to rush it you are bound to screw it up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Instead of going for the counter block it, D/O and continue to block. It is more important you shield yourself from harm then perform a no damage counter. All you have to do in Phase 3 is survive his initial 3 attacks and EMG him, dodge(don't slash) the final volley and you are scott free.

You can dodge it? It seems like the Sai combo attack he does, dodging may work but it's a crapshoot and it's more likely you'll be hit?

Yeah I wanted to play very hard just to get BP to make a few more purchases(unlock weapons for VR missions)

got to the first encounter and prepare to parry the usual 3 guys

and then a mother fucking mastiff swings in and apes me out of no wherer

Turned that shit back on normal for cruise control BP farmin

I wasn't ready

I haven't thrown my controller since I was a teenager but when both of those things flew through the wall (and floor) of the lobby in R-04 on Revengeance mode to to slam me into the ground...

I was close.

...I was close.

Raxus

You can dodge it? It seems like the Sai combo attack he does, dodging may work but it's a crapshoot and it's more likely you'll be hit?

The one armed Sai is easy to dodge the two armed one? Not so much. The camera tends to spaz out making it hard to block a blow. If you have good timing you can D/O back and get a couple shots on him but it is hard.

Phase 1 is the hardest for that reason. Phases 2 and 3 just require patience and using your brain. Play it safe and he will be dead as a doornail.

I had to memorize his moves. And Thanasis Deitus was right, the timing was more forgiving than what I gave it credit for. I just took my time and aimed better.

Thanks for the advice!

Satch

Banned
i just bought 3 items from MGR to put on my xbox live avatar

i am part of the problem

the LQ-84i and Blade Wolf pets were too fucking cute for me to pass up

Revven

So... putting on the Custom Cyborg Red body and going into Ripper Mode looks pretty fuckin' badass. All dat redness looks so sexy.

The yellow one you get for completing all the VR Missions ain't so hot though. I thought the yellow would look like Blade Wolf's yellow armor he has on his underside. It looks more white to me than yellow tbh. Kinda disappointed but then the blue body looks so good I don't even really care I guess lol.

Iskander

Neo Member
This game...THIS GAME

I know it's been said a million times in this thread, but this is unbelievable. This might be the game of the generation for me; certainly is in the action game category, anyhow.

Just beat Monsoon - so hype with the music, the parrying, the chucking of APCs, Ripper mode...shit!

IN THE FINAL HOUR

Revven

This game...THIS GAME

I know it's been said a million times in this thread, but this is unbelievable. This might be the game of the generation for me; certainly is in the action game category, anyhow.

Just beat Monsoon - so hype with the music, the parrying, the chucking of APCs, Ripper mode...shit!

IN THE FINAL HOUR

You ain't seen nothing yet, dude! If you think it's already amazing and awesome, just you wait.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This game...THIS GAME

IN THE FINAL HOUR

Chapter 4 and 7 are my favorites so you still have a lot of awesome ahead.

Satch

Banned
This game...THIS GAME

IN THE FINAL HOUR

shit dude, now i have to listen to his theme music again

i dont get the love for Mistral's theme when Monsoon's is nothing but pure, uncontained, aggressive HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE from start to finish

i mean, i like Mistral's too but Monsoon's is just on another level

Daigoro

how do you even get signed up to the Konami Code site? I've put my email address in 4 times in the last day and got nothing...

one85x

I personally didn't bother with the pincer blades during his first phase unless he did his leaping attack, which has a large cooldown. If your Murasama is at +5 strength, you should be able to get him down to 70% fairly quickly just by mashing light attack. As for parrying, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsoriLxNN6g#t=679s -- He calls it an exploit, but it really is the best way to parry those fast attacks. I've found it's also best to keep your thumb off the left analog stick when attacking so that you're ready to parry as soon as you see the red flash.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
i just bought 3 items from MGR to put on my xbox live avatar

i am part of the problem

the LQ-84i and Blade Wolf pets were too fucking cute for me to pass up

I'm just as bad. My Avatar has a maverick T-shirt. I want blade wolf but I'm not paying that much for it.

Just dropped $25 to import a Shinkawa steelbook from the UK. Feels good.

Which website?

OmahaG8

Not that anyone cares, but I'll join in the circle-jerk.

For years I've ignored game previews and I bought the crazy plasma lamp edition on a whim. After playing for a few hours, I realized I practically didn't stop smiling as I was playing - I am so genuinely and sincerely pleased with this title. My first thought was "has the internet heard about this?!" Heh.

chrono01

This game...THIS GAME

IN THE FINAL HOUR
Glad to see that you're enjoying it.

I share the sentiment of fellow GAF members, if you're impressed now, that feeling will only increase as you progress further into the game.

The game is just so incredibly satisfying. I can't seem to put it down, despite having finished it twice already.

demidar

VR 18 really is the worst part of the game. Swinging camera that's too close, Mastiffs that always jump on to a wall off screen, Dwarf Gekkos that have very weak attack signifiers. Anyone have any tips on how to fight the Mastiffs and anything past that?

VR 18 really is the worst part of the game. Swinging camera that's too close, Mastiffs that always jump on to a wall off screen, Dwarf Gekkos that have very weak attack signifiers. Anyone have any tips on how to fight the Mastiffs and anything past that?

Charge the pincers as the last dwarf gekko from the first round lay dying. Try to get the third swing which, when charged, gives you three blows. They'll leap right at you (not with an attack), jump onto a wall then dive at you with the slam attack, or one with do one thing while the other does another. Unleash that attack once they're both next to you. The while attacking, you won't be flinched and damage will be minimized. After that, I just jump up into the air and hold triangle/Y and keep jumping and spamming that attack until I can slice up their limbs in blade mode. If you can attack them for a while and parry/stun one, if you manage to hit one mastiff with the other during the spinning finishing move, it can sometimes kill the other. If you're confident in your parrying skills, just pay attention to which direction the mastiffs jump, then prepare to parry in that direction.

Round three, you can unequip the scissors and use the red hot kick and stinger moves to kill the wolf. If it starts firing lasers, you can dodge a few, but I don't know any reliable way to continuously dodge them. you can then use the tactical sai to stun the hammer bros. and whittle them down.

For Round four, use the sai to stun the GRAD and whittle it down too.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
With the Mastiffs, I keep my distance via Ninja Run and manually track their movements with the right analog, never letting them leave my sight. If one (or both) jumps on the wall, I just get ready to dish out a perfect parry as soon as they land. If a Mastiff is chasing directly behind me while I'm Ninja Running, I'm prepared to parry his long reaching drop kick at any time.

Groups of dwarf gekkos can be one-shotted with a single charged pincer slice. Sometimes it's even easier to charge it while airborne. For instance, as soon as wave 1 starts, I hop straight up into the air, hold triangle while the dwarf gekko conveniently gather beneath me, then drop down killing them all in a single blow.

With the Mastiffs, I keep my distance via Ninja Run and manually track their movements with the right analog, never letting them leave my sight. If one (or both) jumps on the wall, I just get ready to dish out a perfect parry as soon as they land. If a Mastiff is chasing directly behind me while I'm Ninja Running, I'm prepared to parry his long reaching drop kick at any time.

Groups of dwarf gekkos can be one-shotted with a single charged pincer slice. Sometimes it's even easier to charge it while airborne. For instance, as soon as wave 1 starts, I hop straight up into the air, hold triangle while the dwarf gekko conveniently gather beneath me, then drop down killing them all in a single blow.

OK, just tried this and this is better.

demidar

Charge the pincers as the last dwarf gekko from the first round lay dying. Try to get the third swing which, when charged, gives you three blows. They'll leap right at you (not with an attack), jump onto a wall then dive at you with the slam attack, or one with do one thing while the other does another. Unleash that attack once they're both next to you. The while attacking, you won't be flinched and damage will be minimized. After that, I just jump up into the air and hold triangle/Y and keep jumping and spamming that attack until I can slice up their limbs in blade mode. If you can attack them for a while and parry/stun one, if you manage to hit one mastiff with the other during the spinning finishing move, it can sometimes kill the other. If you're confident in your parrying skills, just pay attention to which direction the mastiffs jump, then prepare to parry in that direction.

Round three, you can unequip the scissors and use the red hot kick and stinger moves to kill the wolf. If it starts firing lasers, you can dodge a few, but I don't know any reliable way to continuously dodge them. you can then use the tactical sai to stun the hammer bros. and whittle them down.

For Round four, use the sai to stun the GRAD and whittle it down too.

Thanks, I managed to pass it finally. I'll lay out what I did.

1) Jump up in to the air as it starts and charge the air attack to its maximum. This will kill most, if not all of the Dwarf Gekkos. If Gekko did a charge attack as well, block and execute, otherwise just take it out however you want. Credit goes to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH7qvLUkaB4.

2) Stay reasonably far away from the Mastiffs and hope the camera doesn't fuck you over. Bait a wall-jump attack or a dropkick and perfect parry which will kill them in one shot. Deal with Dwarf Gekkos however you want.

3) Fenrir dagger tosses can kill Hammer Bros. in one shot through friendly fire, but you can only count on luck for it to do this as a first move. If it charges up its railgun you're pretty much fucked because of the camera. Like a Mastiff, try and bait it into a lunge move and perfect parry it. Run away from Hammer Bros. and kill Dwarf Gekkos then kill Hammer Bros. through repeated charged Pincer strikes. Equip Sai asap after all are dead.

4) Kill the trio of Dwarf Gekkos.

5) When GRAD spawns, stunlock with the sai.

Also a tip for finishing VR missions that require getting to the waypoint, kill everyone then comb the level for hidden platforms that can only be seen in AR.

Have 1 more VR mission left to gold.

You can still parry while charging pincers, it's the most reliable way to beat the two mastiffs I've found. The most difficult part of VR18 is dealing with the dwarf gekkos, since they mess up your camera/lock-on and add a ton of unpredictability. Only after I realized that they were the real problem was I able to beat the mission. The mindset should really be "how do I parry the mastiffs without the dwarf gekkos hugging me" for wave 2 and "how do I effectively eliminate the dwarf gekkos after I kill the laserwolf so I can safely deal with the hammer elites" for wave 3.

Also, two new Japanese videos I saw on SRK, I don't know if they've been posted yet.

Stylish Sam Fight and a cheeky way of beating Monsoon.

The Lamp

Just beat the
Monsoon
boss fight from R-03.

Man. MAN. These boss fight designers are something else. What a cool idea for an enemy.
Although the previous main boss fight is still my favorite.

The only eyebrow raising part was that not-so-good
stealth segment in the dark
in R-03. Like...why?
I had to turn off the lights to my room to try to make out shapes. Eventually I memorized a path to the exit but man, that was kind of lame with it being so dark and having to be stealthy to not trigger 2 of those gorilla people cyborgs or whatever at once

Top Bottom