• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Roto13

Just beat the
Monsoon
boss fight from R-03.

Man. MAN. These boss fight designers are something else. What a cool idea for an enemy.
Although the previous main boss fight is still my favorite.

The only eyebrow raising part was that not-so-good stealth segment
in the dark
in R-03. Like...why?
I had to turn off the lights to my room to try to make out shapes. Eventually I memorized a path to the exit but man, that was kind of lame with it being so dark and having to be stealthy to not trigger 2 of those gorilla people cyborgs or whatever at once

AR mode dude

Noi

Just beat the
Monsoon
boss fight from R-03.

Man. MAN. These boss fight designers are something else. What a cool idea for an enemy.

The only eyebrow raising part was that not-so-good
stealth segment in the dark
in R-03. Like...why?
I had to turn off the lights to my room to try to make out shapes. Eventually I memorized a path to the exit but man, that was kind of lame with it being so dark and having to be stealthy to not trigger 2 of those gorilla people cyborgs or whatever at once

What Roto just said.

At least you got the trophy/achievement for your trouble? :p

demidar

Just beat the
Monsoon
boss fight from R-03.

The only eyebrow raising part was that not-so-good
stealth segment in the dark
in R-03. Like...why?

On the positive side, you get a trophy for it!

AllenShrz

The game is actually very good now, but still those jaggies and bland textures are killing my internal graphics snob.

Fun nether the less.

Rocket786

Holy mother of god, I finally beat the damn thing! Over 4 hours on that last boss fight on hard mode! Feels so exhilarating to finally do it!

I bow down to the rest of you who are getting S's throughout the game. I don't have it in me to go back to this game any more. It provided a challenge which I haven't faced since the NES days. The last boss was destroying my ego. But I couldn't quit...

With that said, screw challenge right now. I'm going to Tomb Raider so I can breeze through whatever they call "difficulty" in that game! Bon voyage people!

What a game though...

TL21xx

Banned
Well, I beat it...

Wow... Just wow...

It has been a very VERY long time since I've felt this gratified with beating a game. Everything was perfect. Everything. The music, the fluidity, just... AHH!!!! I don't even care about my left hand being sore as hell from the final boss, it feels like the sweet burn of quality. The last time I had a game be this demanding might have been when I was starting out playing Mega Man. I echo the statements of all the others saying it feels like an old school Nintendo Hard game, because it really seems that way. And I was only playing on Normal!

Will be taking a break from the game, but not for too long, got to get that hard playthrough w/ the Gray Fox skin & sword. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to listen to the OST some more while working on schoolwork.

demidar

Just got the Amateur Radio Operator trophy during the first fight of R-01 (on Revengeance), so that should put any doubts as to where the trophy/achievement can pop up.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
The game is actually very good now, but still those jaggies and bland textures are killing my internal graphics snob.

Fun nether the less.
Seriously mate, please take it elsewhere. You caused a bit of a stir a few pages back, so well done. You made your point. The graphics aren't up to your standard. Just don't start this again, unless you enjoy being called out as a troll.

I know this has been said a billion times but seriously, fuck these VR Missions. They're not even hard, most are just trial and error with a ton of luck on the side so you don't get hit by a random RPG that hit the wall.

Who on earth designed them and did they even play test them to see if getting gold was a real test of skill?

Hypron

I know this has been said a billion times but seriously, fuck these VR Missions. They're not even hard, most are just trial and error with a ton of luck on the side so you don't get hit by a random RPG that hit the wall.

Who on earth designed them and did they even play test them to see if getting gold was a real test of skill?

To be honest, on hindsight I enjoyed most of them (fuck VR mission 17 though, that's not what MGR is about), especially mission 18 and 19. They get progressively better, the first few aren't hard to finish, but require you to have almost perfect timing to get a gold star... That might be get quite frustrating. However, as they get harder, the required times for gold medals become more and more lenient, which make the missions a lot more enjoyable.

Edit:

My friend is ranking Platinum's games like this.

1. Vanquish
2. MGR
3. Bayonetta

I think he's insane.

Haha my ranking would be probably quite similar (I might put MGR above Vanquish... I don't know, I'll have to wait a bit until I can decide). I'm not saying bayonetta isn't as good as Vanquish and MGR, it's just that I enjoyed Vanquish and MGR more.

demidar

Haha my ranking would be probably quite similar (I might put MGR above Vanquish... I don't know, I'll have to wait a bit until I can decide). I'm not saying bayonetta isn't as good as Vanquish and MGR, it's just that I enjoyed Vanquish and MGR more.

In my opinion, the terrible camera knocks it down quite a few places, and so does double-direction inputs.

Carbonox

My P* ranking is as follows:

1. Metal Gear Rising
2. Bayonetta
3. Vanquish
4. Anarchy Reigns

Anarchy Reigns doesn't gel well with me at all. I only bought it to support P* as I am not a fan of those brawler type games.

Hypron

In my opinion, the terrible camera knocks it down quite a few places, and so does double-direction inputs.

Oh, I agree these aspects of the game suck, but then again, Bayonetta is also far from perfect. It has 2 horrendous chapters, most of its bosses are quite forgettable (I only really liked Jeanne and the final boss -which was more of a puzzle than a test of skill anyway-) and it has severe performance issues even on the xbox360 version.

To be honest, on hindsight I enjoyed most of them (fuck VR mission 17 though, that's not what MGR is about), especially mission 18 and 19. They get progressively better, the first few aren't hard to finish, but require you to have almost perfect timing to get a gold star... That might be get quite frustrating. However, as they get harder, the required times for gold medals become more and more lenient, which make the missions a lot more enjoyable.

The ones that really rub me the wrong way so far are 17 and 9. 17 for being 17 and 9 for having the most annoying tunnel in the game - full of tripods and RPG assholes. They even have a tripod at the exit so when you slide to the finish, it enters the slow-mo mode.

demidar

Turns out on my Revengeance run, the most troublesome enemy is that fucking bridge. Did each runthrough as quickly as possible being right up on the clear edge then die. The one time when I fell behind and I was perpetually on falling bridge parts I succeeded.

Daigoro

You can still parry while charging pincers, it's the most reliable way to beat the two mastiffs I've found. The most difficult part of VR18 is dealing with the dwarf gekkos, since they've mess up your camera/lock-on and add a ton of unpredictability. Only after I realized that they were the real problem was I able to beat the mission. The mindset should really be "how do I parry the mastiffs without the dwarf gekkos hugging me" for wave 2 and "how do I effectively eliminate the dwarf gekkos after I kill the laserwolf so I can safely deal with the hammer elites" for wave 3.

Also, two new Japanese videos I saw on SRK, I don't know if they've been posted yet.

Stylish Sam Fight and a cheeky way of beating Monsoon.

wait, how can you parry while charging? you have to release the charge move to parry. no?

and holy shit at that Monsoon vid. he cheesed that boss hard. crazy.

AAK

So I just beat
Sam, and I met up with Sunny and left for Pakistan
. Will continue tomorrow.

My 1 MAJOR complaint:

- There is no reason NOT to have an on the fly weapon switch in this game. I shouldn't have to go into the paused weapon select menu and choose a different melee weapon mid-fight. It's done perfectly in Devil May Cry. They could have easily allocated one of the horizontal buttons on the DPad for it.

Other than that, some minor irks:

- Unlockable weapons have a paltry movelist. They could have easily done a lot more with them.

- Wolf is WOEFULLY underutilized. He should be an extra gameplay mechanic similar to how Shadow is used in the Dead to Rights games. They could have really fleshed out the circle button with this IMO>

- Camera is a pain at times, but there honestly really isn't any way to improve on it considering how important the Ninja Run mechanic is.

- VR missions that force you to use certain secondary weapons are not fun.

- Cutting pillar supports to harm enemies was only used once in the whole game, with such an awesome mechanic they could have really made more dynamic battles if the areas used them more. I was so pumped when I first saw this in the pre-Platinum trailer:
metal-gear-solid-rising-20100616031911950.jpg

Overall I'm enjoying it a lot. Definitely is fulfilling my craving for a great 60fps action game. But I can't help but notice... had this game gotten a full 3 year development cycle, managed to accommodate all of my complaints above then I feel this game could have TRULY been GOTG material. This game is pretty much equal to DMC4 for me.

Carbonox

xDw1TKrl.jpg

ilbq8vGrDzuQz.gif

Beat VR Mission 18 on my first attempt today (after about a hundred previous attempts over the last couple of days). The Stinger tactic for Wolf in phase 3 WORKED WONDERS. Fucker couldn't do anything against me.

McNum

Just unlocked Infinite Wig B. First thing I tried with it: Ripper Mode. Meter does not drain.

Well that's pretty much that, isn't it? Game over, Raiden wins. There's not a lot that can stand against that, except for bosses. It's going to tank my ratings, though, can't combo much in Ripper Mode and Zandatsus are more or less out of the picture, too.

I'll probably turn it off again later, but for a collectables run it's awesome. This will make it easier to get the Data Storage that's held by blink and you'll miss them enemies. One cut, one kill.

Arozay

Beateded it. Great game, so cheesy.
During the last fight, I didn't know how to stop the heal, so I'd just blade mode his face and tank the damage.
Fairly short game, but I had enough fun with it so I'm gonna make it the first PS3 game I bother to trophy hunt on.

Time for playthrough two.

Deitus

Beateded it. Great game, so cheesy.
During the last fight, I didn't know how to stop the heal, so I'd just blade mode his face and tank the damage.
Fairly short game, but I had enough fun with it so I'm gonna make it the first PS3 game I bother to trophy hunt on.

Time for playthrough two.

When he starts to heal, get behind him and go into blade mode. A square should show up on his back showing you where to slice. If you do this you can stop his heal and stun him for a bit.

Top Bottom