• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sephzilla

S-Ranked R-06 and R-07 on Revengeance last night. Now I gotta go back and S Rank the other missions I missed (which I think are just 03 and 04)

This is really the only game I've played in the last 2 weeks, I'm stunned that I'm still getting so much fun out of it. This is really one of the most fun games I've played in a long time.

Pietepiet

Finished it on Normal last night. So damn good!

Still into an MGR mood today, so here's some fanart:

raidenx2.gif

I've also started S-ranking my way through Revengeance but I'm always afraid of missing encounters. Is there a list somewhere? I'm currently in the Refinery and I'm not sure whether I have to trigger the security cameras for the enemies to appear or whether I can run/sneak through there.

Also, the S-rank for saving the civilians appears only the first time you do it, right?

I watched this guys videos after I missed a fight in R01.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IF97E5GWNc

The gameplay doesn't feel nearly as tight as DmC. People whined about the lack of lock-on but it honestly caused minimal problems for me. In Rising the camera makes it hard to have the whole picture of the action sometimes. I wish they tried something else with the camera, having it further away from Raiden would be a good start.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The gameplay doesn't feel nearly as tight as DmC. People whined about the lack of lock-on but it honestly caused minimal problems for me. In Rising the camera makes it hard to have the whole picture of the action sometimes. I wish they tried something else with the camera, having it further away from Raiden would be a good start.

The gameplay is tighter than DmC's. The camera on the other hand...

The Lamp

Something that helped me was using the lock on and increasing the sensitivity of moving the camera in the options.

Sephzilla

MGR's gameplay is a lot tighter than DmC's but the camera is a bit of a hassle.

I still prefer MGR's option of having a hard lock on or no lock on at all instead of DmC's unreliable soft-lock system though.

Something that helped me was using the lock on and increasing the sensitivity of moving the camera in the options.

I use lock on 90% of the time. Could try the sensitivity.

Other thing that I proly can only blame myself is that I really liked the combo system or whatever in DmC over this. The always visible style rank encouraged for combos and they were very easy to memorize for a fairly casual fan like me. That said Rising combos certainly ain't hard or anything but I dunno how to say this, it felt like in DmC they were very consistent and you already felt like you were in control. I think I just need more time with Rising tho.

Things that I like tho: while I had no problems with DmC framerate it certainly is very smooth in MGR and still looks good. I'm pretty impressed with the cutting engine too and it is pretty fun.

To be fair, MGR really isn't about style or racking up diverse combos. Its more about being a brutally efficient murder machine.

Yeah. But where as in DmC I used like all the possible combos and moves in MGR I just button smash when I am not evading, parrying or in blade mode.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah. But where as in DmC I used like all the possible combos and moves in MGR I just button smash when I am not evading, parrying or in blade mode.

Isn't that your fault? You don't need to use different combos to do well in DmC since it's so easy, and you don't need to do the same here either. But you're rewarded for doing so in both.

Revven

in MGR I just button smash when I am not evading, parrying or in blade mode.

Play on Hard instead (assuming you haven't upgraded Raiden much) and come back to me. Rising's default difficulty doesn't display the game's mechanics very well or at their fullest potential.

Play on Hard with no upgrades and come back to me.

Well I am playing on Hard with no upgrades tho I am just at the endish of level 3 :lol. I am saving BP for the fox blade :lol.

Isn't that your fault? You don't need to use different combos to do well in DmC since it's so easy, and you don't need to do the same here either. But you're rewarded for doing so in both.
Look at my post before, I know it is my fault. But DmC had a natural feel to the combos and encouraged using them.

Revven

I am saving BP for the fox blade :lol.

I'm gonna warn you ahead of time if you do buy it: Fox Blade is OP if you upgrade it (except on bosses I guess) so if you really want to judge the game for what it is, you may want to use the HF Blade for the remainder of the game >_>

There's nothing inherently more natural about how DmC does combos. MGR arguably uses much of the same base pause system.
Sure but there are combos that use two different buttons for example while DmC always uses only one till you change to a different move. But as I said it certainly doesn't look hard or anything so I just need more time with it.

If I purchase the Grey Fox outfit does it appear on cutscenes? I'd love to play with it but I'll save it for replays if it switches between gameplay and cutscene.

Carbonox

S ranked R-00 on Revengeance finally. Already did R-01. I'm now about to tackle the last ranked battle of R-02 before that's S ranked altogether. Unfortunately it's one of the worst fights in the game (GRAD boss and mini GRAD at the same time). :(

Neiteio

I got the Gray Fox skin by preordering with Gamestop, and I bought the MGS4 skin for $2. When will all of the other DLC skins become available? Inferno, etc?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm failing reveneagence so hard...

I always miss one mission during a level and I just want to stab something.

Again? The walkthrough on GameFAQs goes through every Ranked Battle in order, so you can't miss any. Each one has its own heading. The strategies are worthless, but at least it tells you where they are.

joe2187

Banned
I've been going through thinking I know this game like the back of my hand...and I do...but I always forget one fight.

I'm going to use the guides from now on.

Neiteio

What do you guys think of this idea for Rising 2:

+ Free up for the D-pad so that Up cycles between Unique Weapons, and Left, Right and Down can assign Unique Weapons to quick select. Tapping them again de-selects them. Example: Tap right on the D-pad for the Sai; left for the Pole-arm; and down for the Pincer Blades. You can map the weapons as you see fit. If there are more than three Unique Weapons, you can cycle through the rest by tapping up on the D-pad.

+ To free up the D-pad, consolidate the Item menu with the Codec menu so both are accessed from the same screen via Select.

+ Also, remove the "use health pack now" feature from down on the D-pad. It's not really necessary since your nanopaste kicks in automatically anyways, and if you want to restore health early, you could also do it by hitting Select and accessing the relocated Item menu.

As for Unique Weapons, I think it'd be cool if Rising 2, being a direct sequel, gives us access to the Sai, Pole-arm and Pincer Blades from the start. Give us an even larger squad of weapon-wielding bosses to take down, and we can expand our arsenal further.

+ Free up for the D-pad so that Up cycles between Unique Weapons, and Left, Right and Down can assign Unique Weapons to quick select. Tapping them again de-selects them. Example: Tap right on the D-pad for the Sai; left for the Pole-arm; and down for the Pincer Blades. You can map the weapons as you see fit. If there are more than three Unique Weapons, you can cycle through the rest by tapping up on the D-pad.

+ To free up the D-pad, consolidate the Item menu with the Codec menu so both are accessed from the same screen via Select.

+ Also, remove the "use health pack now" feature from down on the D-pad. It's not really necessary since your nanopaste kicks in automatically anyways, and if you want to restore health early, you could also do it by hitting Select and accessing the relocated Item menu.

As for Unique Weapons, I think it'd be cool if Rising 2, being a direct sequel, gives us access to the Sai, Pole-arm and Pincer Blades from the start. Give us an even larger squad of weapon-wielding bosses to take down, and we can expand our arsenal further.

Its not necessary for nanopastes, but using it for electrolyte packs can be really useful

Deitus

All of that sounds fine. I don't know if it's the most elegant solution (personally, I'd prefer a way to swap weapons that didn't require the D-pad if possible), but it would be better than the current implementation.

That would be cool, but personally I'd rather they just flesh out whatever weapons they have as full weapons, rather than just having a couple of attacks like the Sai and Pincer blades. I'd much rather have 3 weapons in addition to the HF Blade, each with tons of depth, rather than 6-8 highly situational weapons with only one real use.

Roto13

was that konami core skin the same as the one you get for beating R-00 on very hard and that is $1.99 on PSN?

Yeah. It's the $1.99 skin, which is the same body as the R-00 skin, just with a different head.

You only need to beat that level on Hard to unlock it, btw.

deim0s

You know the drill on these types. They make you play with the extra weapons and take it away from you on the cutscene, back to zero THEN you acquire the weapons of the new bosses.

I do hope they make more bosses next time - at least five squad members (ala MGS) + mini-mecha bosses and of course a large MG.

I'm okay with the same number of bosses in MGR2. I just hope they give each of them more screen time to flesh them out. If the prologue featured all of the Winds of Destruction instead of just Sundowner and Sam, then the build up to each boss fight wouldn't be so...limited.

ezekial45

Banned
Didn't see this posted, but the VR Missions DLC will be a free update.

MGR Facebook post said:
This just in! The upcoming VR Mission DLC for Metal Gear Rising will be FREE for Playstation 3 users in US and Canada between March 12th and April 3rd, 2013! Get your hands on 30 all-new VR missions packed with tons of unique challenges that will push Raiden’s skills to its limits!

Pick up your copy of Metal Gear Rising today and get ready for the new FREE DLC on March 12th - http://amzn.to/ViR9cu

Carbonox

I'm bricking it with the GRAD encounter on R-02 on Revengeance. I want to S rank it to finish that chapter altogether but the checkpoint system is fucked. You fuck up the part before the main fight and you can't return to it as a checkpoint kicks in.

Best way to approach this? If I can knock him back without getting hit, victory but otherwise I need to play this on point cos I don't wanna go through the chapter again seeing as I've already S ranked every battle bar this one.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm bricking it with the GRAD encounter on R-02 on Revengeance. I want to S rank it to finish that chapter altogether but the checkpoint system is fucked. You fuck up the part before the main fight and you can't return to it as a checkpoint kicks in.

Best way to approach this? If I can knock him back without getting hit, victory but otherwise I need to play this on point cos I don't wanna go through the chapter again seeing as I've already S ranked every battle bar this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR-VuKrtCQs

Top Bottom