• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, the difficulty jump from Hard to Very Hard is no joke. I was getting rocked by Ray until all of a sudden I had another moment where things clicked even more than before and was able to get through it without taking damage. I love how on Very Hard you have to destroy way more parts of Ray and it gets way more damaged looking than on lower difficulties. It felt way more like a desperate brawl because of that.

Arozay

Ran in to three glitches, all in the Monsoon chapter. PS3 version.

- After entering the building (with the long ass codec call) the enemy event with the Geckkos wouldn't activate and I couldn't progress without reloading.

- Same with the first encounter with the Hammer enemy on the rooftop, except the event technically started (barrier + music) but no enemy. Had to reload.

- Last cutscene before Monsoon wouldn't stop loading, had to reboot game.

Finally beat VR mission 18. I'm certain the only reason I did is due to that fenrir destroying one of the hammer guys (which I didn't even realize until I destroyed the fenrir) and perfect parrying the fenrir itself. I got silver on 19, but I probably could have gotten gold on one previous attempt if I didn't fail to strike that incredibly easy hitbox for the zandatsu.

Peace Tea

Any text based (no video plz) guides that highlight all the specific ranked encounters? I just finished A ranking 01 because I unintentionally skipped ONE ranked encounter.

CatPee

I just read a user review stating that MGR's combat is "slow" and that "there's no variety to the combat unlike the recent, and much better DmC."

I think I threw up a bit in my mouth.

ezekial45

Banned
I just read a user review stating that MGR's combat is "slow" and that "there's no variety to the combat unlike the recent, and much better DmC."

I think I threw up a bit in my mouth.
DmC definitely has much more variety than MGR. But it's not as quick as MGR.

But really, they're not comparable at all as their approaches are vastly different.

Carbonox

Ready to just quit and not bother with this Revengeance S rank run. Monsoon's a cheap cunt and it's fucking ridiculous how lucky you have to be to deal with the cunting vehicles towards the end of the fight. At 13%, he does his final vehicle throw phase (before he'll do the big wheel and then the spire), I manage to get the first bunch of vehicles but with the second, I cannot see a thing due to the explosions from what I cut. Thus, I get hit by some cheap ass piece of shit tank at the very bottom of my screen that I wasn't able to see.

Get fucked. Skill isn't even remotely the name of the game when it comes to this horrendous segment.

zainetor

Banned
Ready to just quit and not bother with this Revengeance S rank run. Monsoon's a cheap cunt and it's fucking ridiculous how lucky you have to be to deal with the cunting vehicles towards the end of the fight. At 13%, he does his final vehicle throw phase (before he'll do the big wheel and then the spire), I manage to get the first bunch of vehicles but with the second, I cannot see a thing due to the explosions from what I cut. Thus, I get hit by some cheap ass piece of shit tank at the very bottom of my screen that I wasn't able to see.

Get fucked. Skill isn't even remotely the name of the game when it comes to this horrendous segment.

just run to skip the first vehicles, and then stop and cut the remaining ones.

Daigoro

you watch that vid I quoted a few pages back?

probably makes.it look easier than is, but that guy only had to deal with he vehicle section once.

Carbonox

just run to skip the first vehicles, and then stop and cut the remaining ones.

Never thought of that. I'm able to run past the first few phases of vehicle throwing early in the fight (and saw a Youtube video of someone doing it on the last phases but I figured that's more luck as sometimes you get hit and sometimes you don't) but to combine running and blade mode? Nice.

When do you suggest I stop running? After the 3rd or 4th vehicle? Problem is, the last few vehicles he throws all at once and that's what's problematic.

you watch that vid I quoted a few pages back?

probably makes.it look easier than is, but that guy only had to deal with he vehicle section once.

I don't think I did. Mind posting it again?

Daigoro

You can still parry while charging pincers, it's the most reliable way to beat the two mastiffs I've found. The most difficult part of VR18 is dealing with the dwarf gekkos, since they mess up your camera/lock-on and add a ton of unpredictability. Only after I realized that they were the real problem was I able to beat the mission. The mindset should really be "how do I parry the mastiffs without the dwarf gekkos hugging me" for wave 2 and "how do I effectively eliminate the dwarf gekkos after I kill the laserwolf so I can safely deal with the hammer elites" for wave 3.

Also, two new Japanese videos I saw on SRK, I don't know if they've been posted yet.

Stylish Sam Fight and a cheeky way of beating Monsoon.

here.

this guy still didn't answer my question eiter. re charging pincer bladed while.parrying.

sup with that?

zainetor

Banned
Never thought of that. I'm able to run past the first few phases of vehicle throwing early in the fight (and saw a Youtube video of someone doing it on the last phases but I figured that's more luck as sometimes you get hit and sometimes you don't) but to combine running and blade mode? Nice.

When do you suggest I stop running? After the 3rd or 4th vehicle? Problem is, the last few vehicles he throws all at once and that's what's problematic.

I don't think I did. Mind posting it again?
I only use this trick for the final part, because the first two times, It's easy to cut through the shit he launches you.
Let's say, when you run just try to keep the camera on him, so you can see what he is throwing, then stop and go immediately in blade mode when you see a little break.
If you wanna make it even easier, when facing him , just run to the down right corner near the end of the stage, where there is a little statue. I f you go there, some vehicles, will actually crash on the statue and the stage barrier.

Finally got to complete this yesterday. THIS. FUCKING. GAME.

Nothing short of amazing at times but also extremely flawed. I've never said this before about any action game but the camera is bad.

Also I feel that until you upgrade massively, the game is a bit too cheap. I played on hard and I think I'm going to replay on on hard at least once to level up before I tackle the harder difficulties.

Manual blade mode is by far the way to go. Far as I'm concerned the games biggest issue is it is too lenient up to the final boss. You should be learning manual mode from mistral.

Ripper-trigger is interesting,but broken. It's too tempting to trigger, cut, zandastu, trigger again.

The pole-arm is the greatest weapon in P* Game Fullstop. Not even Bayonettas ice skates or Durga are as fun and satisfying. Such a simple idea but it literally is the best of the lunar staff and the vigoorian flails in one weapon. It's a shame that Raiden doesn't learn any of mistrals whip like moves too.

Everyone comparing this game to DmC or even DMC, stop it. The only thing they have in common is the base enemies are just as docile.
This is NG2: Cyborg Edition and all the fucking better for it.

For something that was created in such a short time, this is a masterclass in action game development. It may not be part of the holy trinty but this series with a better budget, hell just a longer deadline is destined for great things.

I haven't played many metal gear games but the codec system is video game character development done right. I never felt offended by the length of the codec converstations the way I would of if they were cutscenes. They actually create a lot of depth in a game with an otherwise bonkers story. There is a lot of interesting social commentary bubbling under the surface and the beauty is its completely optional. The codec system respects that I will listen to your opinions on the world in my own time, not when I'm trying to get to get to grips with a combat system.

I'm not a metal gear fan and I doubt I could tolerate a full MGS game (seriously risings stealth segments are ass) But I'm at least interested somewhat in the lore now.

I feel like I should review this properly sometime, but I actually want to get back to the awesomeness.

Rising wasn't meant to be a stealth game anyway, so of course it's not going to be very good. Metal Gear is fun, though and incredibly satisfying if you can pull off complete stealth.

You can cut the first phase or two of it if you're in need of EMP grenades. What I did for the later ones was wait in the far corner of either side just under the World Marshall building entrance then begin running the second the Zandatsu character flashes and I keep running until he stops throwing them. I run directly to the right or left depending on what side I'm on (passing right in front of the doors into the building), when he starts getting ridiculous with the shit he's throwing you sometimes won't be able to just run straight across and still have room but you can keep running and just turn upwards still hugging the edge of the arena (basically making a sort of "U" in your path). I've only ever had him hit me once with this and it was my own fault when it happened as I basically just brain-farted and zigged when I should have zagged.

8535776447_ffd47b04ec_o.gif

Rising wasn't meant to be a stealth game anyway, so of course it's not going to be very good. Metal Gear is fun, though and incredibly satisfying if you can pull off complete stealth.

Rising could have amazing stealth. Just do away with the cardboard box/drum nonsense. That shit is garbage no matter what game they are in.

Raidens stealth should be related to his speed and ninja run only. Make it iike Batman AA.

you throw a RP grenade, ninja run up a wall, redhot kick a enemy in their back, zandastu, ninja run back into the shadows.

The enemies know you are there, but they have no idea where you are coming from.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rising could have amazing stealth. Just do away with the cardboard box/drum nonsense. That shit is garbage no matter what game they are in.

Raidens stealth should be related to his speed and ninja run only. Make it iike Batman AA.

you throw a RP grenade, ninja run up a wall, redhot kick a enemy in their back, zandastu, ninja run back into the shadows.

The enemies know you are there, but they have no idea where you are coming from.

So basically, not stealth. Just Metal Cell Raiden: Conviction? :/

Carbonox

You can cut the first phase or two of it if you're in need of EMP grenades. What I did for the later ones was wait in the far corner of either side just under the World Marshall building entrance then begin running the second the Zandatsu character flashes and I keep running until he stops throwing them. I run directly to the right or left depending on what side I'm on (passing right in front of the doors into the building), when he starts getting ridiculous with the shit he's throwing you sometimes won't be able to just run straight across and still have room but you can keep running and just turn upwards still hugging the edge of the arena (basically making a sort of "U" in your path). I've only ever had him hit me once with this and it was my own fault when it happened as I basically just brain-farted and zigged when I should have zagged.

8535776447_ffd47b04ec_o.gif

So when running it's advised to hug the sides? Sometimes I get hit when he throws like 6 vehicles cos the first few miss by miles but then the last couple seem to hit me directly as if he can tell where I will be the moment they're thrown.

I'll keep testing though. It can be done going by videos and your gif. It's just timing I guess.

Finally got to complete this yesterday. THIS. FUCKING. GAME.

Nothing short of amazing at times but also extremely flawed. I've never said this before about any action game but the camera is bad.

Also I feel that until you upgrade massively, the game is a bit too cheap. I played on hard and I think I'm going to replay on on hard at least once to level up before I tackle the harder difficulties.

Manual blade mode is by far the way to go. Far as I'm concerned the games biggest issue is it is too lenient up to the final boss. You should be learning manual mode from mistral.

Ripper-trigger is interesting,but broken. It's too tempting to trigger, cut, zandastu, trigger again.

The pole-arm is the greatest weapon in P* Game Fullstop. Not even Bayonettas ice skates or Durga are as fun and satisfying. Such a simple idea but it literally is the best of the lunar staff and the vigoorian flails in one weapon. It's a shame that Raiden doesn't learn any of mistrals whip like moves too.

Everyone comparing this game to DmC or even DMC, stop it. The only thing they have in common is the base enemies are just as docile.
This is NG2: Cyborg Edition and all the fucking better for it.

For something that was created in such a short time, this is a masterclass in action game development. It may not be part of the holy trinty but this series with a better budget, hell just a longer deadline is destined for great things.

I haven't played many metal gear games but the codec system is video game character development done right. I never felt offended by the length of the codec converstations the way I would of if they were cutscenes. They actually create a lot of depth in a game with an otherwise bonkers story. There is a lot of interesting social commentary bubbling under the surface and the beauty is its completely optional. The codec system respects that I will listen to your opinions on the world in my own time, not when I'm trying to get to get to grips with a combat system.

I'm not a metal gear fan and I doubt I could tolerate a full MGS game (seriously risings stealth segments are ass) But I'm at least interested somewhat in the lore now.

I feel like I should review this properly sometime, but I actually want to get back to the awesomeness.

I'd really like to see what PG could do if they actually tried to make a true Tenchu style game. No game in that subgenre has been great and I think they could do it right if they wanted to (would probably sell for shit though). Revengeance couldn't really be that game given how it was developed but it did make me long for it by the time I finished it. If they really want to fuse the concept of Metal Gear and what PG-brand action means, that's the bar they'll have to reach with me though.

As far as the lore goes, the codec does have a lot of interesting stuff in it, but for most people, their regard towards it in relation to the main series is gonna vary quite a bit, and that's always been a criticism of the games' narrative ever since 'Solid' began in '98 (hell even Metal Gear 2 had some relatively lengthy radio convos for an early 90's game), right behind the 'cutscenes are bad' brigade (e.g. exposition & complexity =/= depth). If you're interested in it, but not a fan of the actual games, you could YouTube the cutscenes and keep the Metal Gear Wiki open in a tab like CliffsNotes. :p

Zertez

Im really looking forward to playing the whole game, but right now money is tight. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I cant seem to find anything on it. Was this game mainly designed by the Bayonetta team at PG or the Vanquish team? I loved both games, but this setting seems more fitting for the Vanquish team. I plan on buying the game either way, but Im just curious how deep the combat is and which team at PG did most of the work.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought it, pretty hyped. I want to give it a quick look before diving in, so how heavy is this game on the cutscenes?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks. After a 115Mb patch and the install I might as well cancel my quick look plans and play it properly later ;)

That is incredibly reductive. But yes, walking around in a cardboard box is ridiculous in a game that moves at this speed. Convictions approach to stealth makes makes more sense than the current approach.

Perhaps also implement Stealth Camo and have it drain from the fuel cells.

I could get behind a crysis-like steath mode. Still think its too slow, but at least it would fit the game.

Sephzilla

I'm fine with the current way Revengeance does stealth, it just needs to be refined more. Bring back the cone-of-vision on the radar and give Raiden the ability to press up against a wall and peak around a corner. Perhaps also implement Stealth Camo and have it drain from the fuel cells.

Raxus

Any text based (no video plz) guides that highlight all the specific ranked encounters? I just finished A ranking 01 because I unintentionally skipped ONE ranked encounter.

While there are no 'text' based ranked encounter guides I have found there are lists of optional encounters here. Search the thread for optional encounters. As far as R01 goes the optional encounters are
after saving the second citizen go back to where you fought the helicopter and at the bridge 2 sliders and a soldier spawn, at the Ferris wheel attack the soldier and gekko, and the optional fight Boris gives you.

Carbonox

One mission away from S Ranking Revengeance mode!

Then I can finally step back and "enjoy" the VR Missions or listen to codecs.

I'm glad I got the VR missions and Codecs achievements out of the way first. S ranking Revengeance has been a breeze so far which is welcoming. :lol Obviously I still need to get over Monsoon but I'll get there.

Beat VR mission 18. Running from the mastiffs and baiting them into drop-kicking or wall jump-attacking you, then parrying those attacks makes round two actually manageable.

You need to stay close to the wolf in round three and keep hitting it with stingers/red hot kicks over and over; if it gets far away and uses the laser attack without any hammer bros. in between, I'm convinced that you will get hit at least twice which will put you on the verge of death. Taking out the dwarf gekkos using bloodlust's midair attack (hold triangle/Y) can help, but you'll have to be ready to block/parry the hammer bros. attacks.

After that, pick off the hammer bros. with parries, pincers or the sai. Alternating between sai and pincers to stun/chop them up is probably the safest method so that you don't get double-teamed.

After that, kill those three gekko, then switch to the sai quickly to let it charge. Use it on the GRAD to stun it and keep striking until it stops crackling with electricity. Once it's about to move again, the sai should be charged. Use it again and repeat until the finisher prompt.

More like Metal Batman Rising: Arkham Revengeance. I kind of like how stealth is treated in this game, though I wouldn't want it to be "they know you're there," kind of predator-stealth. Giving the player more options for stealth like wall-running into stealth drop-attacks while keeping the "if you cause an alert, you'll be swamped with enemies," format Revengeance already has would be best. It's already a bit more fast-paced than stealth in other games considering that you can ninja run right up behind someone and stealth kill them before they hear you.

nope.

Saved my ass in the MGS series because the game was actually designed around using it.
This is how it's usually done in MGS so don't hate if you haven't done it :p
mgs4_box2.jpg

A box wasnt instant invisibility either. Use it in the wrong place and the AI get curious.
It's one of the little details that made MGS's stealth so great.

nope.

Saved my ass in the MGS series because the game was actually designed around using it.
This is how it's usually done in MGS so don't hate if you haven't done it :p
mgs4_box2.jpg

A box wasnt instant invisibility either. Use it in the wrong place and the AI get curious.
It's one of the little details that made MGS's stealth so great.

Urgh. It looks just as cheesy there.

It reminds me of British pantomimes, all it needs is a audience screaming "he's behind you!"

I'm sorry, but it looks fucking stupid, takes me out of the game and reeks of cheese. I suppose it's a metal gear solid staple but it really can be done away with in rising.

It reminds me of British pantomimes, all it needs is a audience screaming "he's behind you!"

I'm sorry, but it looks fucking stupid, takes me out of the game and reeks of cheese. I suppose it's a metal gear solid staple but it really can be done away with in rising.

It's not garbage in the game it's designed for and...

lol you do realize it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy. :)

Metal gear takes it self seriously for sure, but it also pokes fun of itself, breaks down the 4th wall, etc...
With all the options available to you, this was the most humorous optional one.

When your sneaking, it's not about what looks the coolest. It's what gets the job done, and MGS made you feel like a kid playing hide and seek. (I hid in any box big enough to hide me)

It may look silly as a screenshot, but it you actually played a game using it like MGOnline, you'd be surprised how effective it really is. When you have levels littered with empty boxes. You either become paranoid and spend time destroying empty boxes when you should be looking out for the enemy OR you memorize where all the empty boxes are and PRAY TO GOD that someone isn't hiding where that empty box used to be.

EDIT: And that's just the box. Any item that lets you blend in with the environment is great and there's no greater satisfaction :p than creeping up behind someone in a box before taking them out. Especially online where dropping your guard for a second could cost you.

It's one of those things you really need to use in a game designed around it. Not thrown in like it was in Rising.

R.I.P. MGO

B.I.H. Konami Registration

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The beauty is that you never, ever have to use it. You never have to equip it. You never have to even see it besides as an item pickup.

I like it being an option, a humorous looking throwback, for MG fans.

lol you do realize it's SUPPOSED to be cheesy. :)

Metal gear takes it self seriously for sure, but it also pokes fun of itself, breaks down the 4th wall, etc...
With all the options available to you, this was the most humorous optional one.

When your sneaking, it's not about what looks the coolest. It's what gets the job done, and MGS made you feel like a kid playing hide and seek. (I hid in any box big enough to hide me)

It may look silly as a screenshot, but it you actually played a game using it like MGOnline, you'd be surprised how effective it really is. When you have levels littered with empty boxes. You either become paranoid and spend time destroying empty boxes when you should be looking out for the enemy OR you memorize where all the empty boxes are and PRAY TO GOD that someone isn't hiding where that empty box used to be.

EDIT: And that's just the box. Any item that lets you blend in with the environment is great and there's no greater satisfaction then creeping up behind someone in a box before taking them out. Especially online

well I suppose I can't argue about games I haven't played.

But my main point remains. It doesnt work in rising and to make it work, you would need to make it more like a metal gear soild game which defeats the purpose entirely.

The beauty is that you never, ever have to use it. You never have to equip it. You never have to even see it besides as an item pickup.

I like it being an option, a humorous looking throwback, for MG fans.

In the sections In the sewer and the office, I felt like I was penalised for not using it.

Sephzilla

well I suppose I can't argue about games I haven't played.

But my main point remains. It doesnt work in rising and to make it work, you would need to make it more like a metal gear soild game which defeats the purpose entirely.

I think you can easily make the stealth more Metal Gear Solid while retaining the Rising feel. Refine it and make it more MGS-like, and perhaps bring in a few perks for playing the game that way, but keep it entirely optional.

Top Bottom