• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Neiteio

I want a boss character in MGR2 who is basically Ai Rin from Anarchy Reigns, and when defeated I want to be able to use her laser nunchuks.

Carbonox

The only new weapons I want in the next game for sure are dual swords. It would have been nice to have the Pincers transform in to dual blades for more speedy attacks as Sundowner is able to.

Anything else would be a bonus. Definitely some more fist/kick based stuff too.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Finally got around to playing the game, got it for free before I planned to buy it, and the game is fun until you try to do specific things and see how the game has little annoying problems here and there that you probably don't get anymore once you have all the upgrades, add-ons and so on.

Playing on Hard and trying to beat Mistral without taking damage and getting screwed by the camera on the pipe whenever I try to go for the perfect parries and the camera shifts on its own - same annoying thing whenever I was in a tight corner in the beginning of the second level when the camera jerks in another direction out of the blue, whether I have the lock on set on the enemy or not. Mind you, it's way easy, but it gets annoying when I want to do something specific like attacking, cancel my attack with the Defensive Offense and immediately parry, but because the camera shifted off somewhere else, the direction I'm pressing the analog in is off and I get hit. Only because of this I decided to skip the perfect playing until I beat the game.

Funny how I praised the parry system so much in the demo, but when you get into it with the various other enemies I realized that it has its downsides too. Especially when I'm locked down in blockstun by Mistral if I miss the perfect parry and will most-likely get zapped by the Dwarf Gekkos behind me. Only because I can't kill enemies that quick with my weak HF Blade with only one damage upgrade available.

And whoever came up with that Codec Achievement needs to be slapped - I hope I get it by the end of this playthrough because I won't feel like trying find whatever other codecs I would be missing on my Revengeance run.

Smeghead

Finally got around to playing the game, got it for free before I planned to buy it, and the game is fun until you try to do specific things and see how the game has little annoying problems here and there that you probably don't get anymore once you have all the upgrades, add-ons and so on.

Playing on Hard and trying to beat Mistral without taking damage and getting screwed by the camera on the pipe whenever I try to go for the perfect parries and the camera shifts on its own - same annoying thing whenever I was in a tight corner in the beginning of the second level when the camera jerks in another direction out of the blue, whether I have the lock on set on the enemy or not. Mind you, it's way easy, but it gets annoying when I want to do something specific like attacking, cancel my attack with the Defensive Offense and immediately parry, but because the camera shifted off somewhere else, the direction I'm pressing the analog in is off and I get hit. Only because of this I decided to skip the perfect playing until I beat the game.

Funny how I praised the parry system so much in the demo, but when you get into it with the various other enemies I realized that it has its downsides too. Especially when I'm locked down in blockstun by Mistral if I miss the perfect parry and will most-likely get zapped by the Dwarf Gekkos behind me. Only because I can't kill enemies that quick with my weak HF Blade with only one damage upgrade available.

And whoever came up with that Codec Achievement needs to be slapped - I hope I get it by the end of this playthrough because I won't feel like trying find whatever other codecs I would be missing on my Revengeance run.
Pretty much the same as I feel. The parrying system is fine in theory, but the camera has to be spot on 100% of time, which can't be said for this game.

Unpredictable camera + parry system which relies on directional inputs = recipe for disaster.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, though these occasional occurances of frustration leave a sour taste in my mouth from time to time.

It's probably been asked before but is it possible to parry mid combo?

Revven

I've just beat chapter 3. God fucking damnit, that boss. Shit was so intense, especially with that music.

Does this game get any better? I feel like it's topping itself every 5 minutes.

The awesome reaches heights never thought possible. KEEP PLAYING.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Pretty much the same as I feel. The parrying system is fine in theory, but the camera has to be spot on 100% of time, which can't be said for this game.

Unpredictable camera + parry system which relies on directional inputs = recipe for disaster.

Overall I'm enjoying the game, though these occasional occurances of frustration leave a sour taste in my mouth from time to time.

It's probably been asked before but is it possible to parry mid combo?

It's only possible if the animation is quick enough to end before the parry can be executed like a light attack, or if you cancel out of it with Defensive Offense (the dodge attack you can buy) - anything long like a heavy attack will have you eating the enemy attack because you can't parry cancel things.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nearly had Monsoon, but I fucking forgot I had the P. Blades equipped with 20% left and so got Sai'ed in the face.

And I haven't been able to get back there, since. *rage*

You can use blademode anywhere, and that instantly resets Raiden to neutral. So tap L1 to Blade Mode Cancel and then do a parry.

You can parry cancel out of most strings, pincer charging, and evades. You can also cancel those same strings, pincer charging, and parries with an evade. Dodge offset is also in the game, so you can resume a combo string after an evade. Parrying everything the game lets you parry isn't much of an issue unless the camera interferes or if multiple enemies initiate attacks at the same time. You will need to parry the first attack that would hit you, in which case the large block window sort of works against you if there are different attacks with different animations coming from multiple directions.

Ragus

Banned
The awesome reaches heights never thought possible. KEEP PLAYING.

the awesome won't stop.

HNGHHHHH-

My Raiden is ready

WP_20130306_049.jpg

chrono01

I've just beat chapter 3. God fucking damnit, that boss. Shit was so intense, especially with that music.

Does this game get any better? I feel like it's topping itself every 5 minutes.
Just when you think that the game couldn't get better...it does.

That is Metal Gear Rising in a nut-shell. Enjoy the ride.

The only new weapons I want in the next game for sure are dual swords. It would have been nice to have the Pincers transform in to dual blades for more speedy attacks as Sundowner is able to.

Anything else would be a bonus. Definitely some more fist/kick based stuff too.
MGR2 with an AI/cyborg Solidus boss fight that grants you his dual blades. Make it so.

Neiteio

In MGR2, start with the HF blade, pole-arm, sai, and pincer blades.

Then:

- Nunchuks (with beam blades, like Ai Rin in Anarchy Reigns)
- Jet Hammer (like Big Bull in Anarchy Reigns)
- Pile Bunkers (like Douglas in Anarchy Reigns, worn like the gauntlets in GoW3)
- Dual Katanas (like Zero in Anarchy Reigns)

Damn, that's a lot of Anarchy Reigns!

Wish people still played online.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
You're talking about following up a polearm made of arms that doubles as a whip, a pair of blades that become scissors, and some weird ass magnetic lassoo sai with just standard ass weapons? NOPE.

We talking gunchucks that shoot nanomachine shuriken bullets, rotating ninja hand-claws that become fucking diamond cutting drills. Thats where we're going, laddies.

RangerBAD

Lightning God get!

Overall, it wasn't too bad. I chose to not use wigs, but I did use the Fox Blade throughout and Red Armor toward the end. Most of my deaths were more in the normal battles than the boss battles. Bosses were mostly all right to get S rank, but Sam gave me a lot of trouble trying to get that S rank. Now all I need are those damn VR missions.

Started it last night... Loving it. Made it up to the first "black crocodile" encounter in the sewers.

I wasn't a fan of the prologue, largely due to the fact that I'd played the demo quite a bit up until then and playing as 'gimped Raiden' was no fun (he is gimped, right? No Zandatsu or fully-realised Blade Mode?) and the fight against Ray just isn't that interesting.

Parrying is magnificent. I feel the game shines when the fights are parry-heavy.

A few questions:

- Cutting the left hand off... Does that go for everyone? I've seen the hand highlighted in Augment Mode (or whatever it's called) on a few enemies; is it just them? It's seemed a tad inconsistent thus far.

- Zandatsu also seems to be unsuccessful for inapparent reasons sometimes; as in, I swear I've hit the sweet spot, but no electrolytes spew forth. Is there more to this?

And before I forget: Platinum. Can cutscene.

-Winnie-

- Cutting the left hand off... Does that go for everyone? I've seen the hand highlighted in Augment Mode (or whatever it's called) on a few enemies; is it just them? It's seemed a tad inconsistent thus far.

Some key enemies (commanders, I think) will have a glowing left hand and you collect those like dog tags in MGS2. For normal enemies, you get a little extra BP for cutting off their left hand but it's nothing too significant.

Jintor

You're talking about following up a polearm made of arms that doubles as a whip, a pair of blades that become scissors, and some weird ass magnetic lassoo sai with just standard ass weapons? NOPE.

We talking gunchucks that shoot nanomachine shuriken bullets, rotating ninja hand-claws that become fucking diamond cutting drills. Thats where we're going, laddies.

Let's strap guns to our feet.

Arozay

So on my 2nd playthrough, I despise the camera and the sub-item menu lag. I was having a hard time trying to S-rank the Vodomjerka backup fight, turns out just activating Ripper mode and spamming ninja run and slashing works too well...

Carbonox

It is time.

The final mission.

Revengeance.

All that's standing between me and the Platinum trophy.

HEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH COME AT ME BROS.

I've never no-damage'd Metal Gear before so it will be interesting to say the least. I'll be able to handle Armstrong fine though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You can use blademode anywhere, and that instantly resets Raiden to neutral. So tap L1 to Blade Mode Cancel and then do a parry. .

I don't think that works with the P. Blades in mid-attack, does it? Besides, even if I reset the attack was coming and I couldn't switch to the Sai's quick enough. So I'm ticked at myself for forgetting as I nearly had it after 1,000+ attempts to reach that point. The stupid Sai parry is what screws me up in general now if I don't mistime the Wheel of Misfortune attack.

Neiteio

MGR2 should allow a full-body upgrade that gives you Monsoon's LIMB DETACHMENT TECHNOLOGY, for a crazy style change (one Raiden loathes!).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It is time.

The final mission.

Revengeance.

All that's standing between me and the Platinum trophy.

HEEEEEEEEEYAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH COME AT ME BROS.

I've never no-damage'd Metal Gear before so it will be interesting to say the least. I'll be able to handle Armstrong fine though.

Metal Gear's a cakewalk, so looks like smooth sailing for you. Remember that you get a checkpoint halfway through, and dodge instead of parrying... you actually take block damage during that fight.

Carbonox

No-damage'd Metal Gear so easily. Didn't know there was a checkpoint after you cut off its first leg though. That helped immensely.

All that's left is to fuck up the final boss. I ended up beating him twice, no damage, got fucking A rank. So pissed.

My last attempt I got 9900 points, ONE FUCKING HUNDRED OFF S. Such bullshit.

The only way I can think of to boost my score by even 100 to get it over the line would be to actually bother cutting the blocks...even for one phase (and then run away from the rest) just so I get enough BP from the drops...

I'll return tomorrow. It's nearly 2am and I have work at 8. :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No-damage'd Metal Gear so easily. Didn't know there was a checkpoint after you cut off its first leg though. That helped immensely.

All that's left is to fuck up the final boss. I ended up beating him twice, no damage, got fucking A rank. So pissed.

The only way I can think of to boost my score by even 100 to get it over the line would be to actually bother cutting the blocks...even for one phase (and then run away from the rest) just so I get enough BP from the drops...

If you need more combo points, you can stay in Blade Mode after striking him out of the healing phase for a huge combo. That was recommended to me by Xtortionist on here.

I don't need to no-damade Excelsus right? Just Armstrong.

I'm pretty sure you do. It helps, anyway. It's a separate Ranked battle.

Jintor

Can anyone confirm you just need to run rings around the second fist fight to trigger the unblockable? Because fuuuuuuuuuuck trying to do that on 0.1% hp again for revengeance

Carbonox

You gotta no-damage Excelsus too.

If you need more combo points, you can stay in Blade Mode after striking him out of the healing phase for a huge combo. That was recommended to me by Xtortionist on here.

I'm pretty sure you do. It helps, anyway. It's a separate Ranked battle.

Oh shit that sounds great. I did get a 52 hit regular combo in my last attempt for a cool 1500 points but I guess if I tried the blade mode tactic, I could push that even higher for the extra 100 I would need.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can anyone confirm you just need to run rings around the second fist fight to trigger the unblockable? Because fuuuuuuuuuuck trying to do that on 0.1% hp again for revengeance

Yes, you can simply run during the second phase, but getting hit with some attacks will automatically knock you into the third phase and initiate a checkpoint.... screwing up the run. Eventually, he will do an AoE attack that will knock Raiden into the third phase, but won't do damage.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Just did it. You can. After a while your HUD goes away and he'll blast you into the QTE.

Nope. I literally just got the trophy for no damaging Armstrong and I took a fuckton against Excelsus. You do need to avoid damage in all the encounters with Armstrong, not just the real fight.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nope. I literally just got the trophy for no damaging Armstrong and I took a fuckton against Excelsus. You do need to avoid damage in all the encounters with Armstrong, not just the real fight.

I thought he was referring to S-ranking the entire stage. Yeah, that part doesn't count for the no-damage boss run.

RangerBAD

Yeah, cut at least one set of debris. That's all I did and I got the S rank. It's crazy how much the Red Armor boosts your damage in the QTE sections of that fight. Getting the QTE where Raiden counter attacks does like 70%.

Oh shit that sounds great. I did get a 52 hit regular combo in my last attempt for a cool 1500 points but I guess if I tried the blade mode tactic, I could push that even higher for the extra 100 I would need.

Also, make sure you're in Jack the Ripper mode for the Blade Mode combo. It'll slow the meter drain a lot. Might want to make sure the Fuel Cell rations are equipped and just use them as your meter gets low with the shortcut (down on d-pad). You'll easily get the 100 hit requirement. If he gets too far away when you do it, drop Blade Mode, get closer and go back into it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
But don't I NEED to get hurt against Armstrong to trigger the Fist of the North Star QTE?

No. At no point do you need to actually take damage. Eventually, he will do an AoE attack that is literally unavoidable and will knock Raiden away, but will do 0% damage to your actual bar. It's a non-physical attack.

Top Bottom