• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Bradiculous

Neo Member
The Gamestop in my town had a surplus of Limited Editions in their warehouse. Sigh of relief that I managed to get it since I didn't preorder it. Would have hated to have to pay $200+ on eBay or Amazon. Game's amazing so far, got my first S-Rank in the sewers.

Looking forward to the Zero Punctuation review of it as well.

I think you can easily make the stealth more Metal Gear Solid while retaining the Rising feel. Refine it and make it more MGS-like, and perhaps bring in a few perks for playing the game that way, but keep it entirely optional.

Long as its not a repeat of "huge open area with several criss-crossing patrols, nowhere to hide but this herp deep cardboard box"

make it like the first stealth VR mission and we are good.

Really? I never used it, and never felt penalized for it either. Even if you go stealth, you can easily do so without the box.

I will try again on another playthrough but the only way I got past those sections was either fighting my way through, or using the cardboard box. Anytime I just tried to use ninja run and stab them in the back, I got spotted.

well I suppose I can't argue about games I haven't played.

But my main point remains. It doesnt work in rising and to make it work, you would need to make it more like a metal gear soild game which defeats the purpose entirely.

my main point was toward your "garbage in anything" comment.

I agree it was thrown in to Rising because the AI doesnt react to it like it would in a regular MGS game.

With more time development it would be cool if they made the environmental props fit MGR's gameplay style. Octo camo is the easy way out plus it slows it down unless you go for full on opti-camo/GITS/Predator stealth.

It would be funny if you got caught in a situation where you dropped in between to guards and you wanted to do an optional stealth run and used one of these classic ninja tricks(for humor of course and without the breasts)

gam_walljugs_580.jpg

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I will try again on another playthrough but the only way I got past those sections was either fighting my way through, or using the cardboard box. Anytime I just tried to use ninja run and stab them in the back, I got spotted.

I just made frequent use of the AR mode and didn't use the box in either. And I know I did stealth in both since I had to get the special Right Arm guy to spawn in the office.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Rising could have amazing stealth. Just do away with the cardboard box/drum nonsense. That shit is garbage no matter what game they are in.

Raidens stealth should be related to his speed and ninja run only. Make it iike Batman AA.

you throw a RP grenade, ninja run up a wall, redhot kick a enemy in their back, zandastu, ninja run back into the shadows.

The enemies know you are there, but they have no idea where you are coming from.

Wait

you're criticizing a game for shitty stealth

and then praising Arkham's?

I'd rather have cardboard boxes than gargolyle safety nets to retreat to in every room

Really? I never used it, and never felt penalized for it either. Even if you go stealth, you can easily do so without the box.

Nah. Box is required for stealth runs

if you're going for the title (Under 35 alerts in the game) you need to use the box. It's the only way to avoid detection from tripods

and I'm fine with that. That's Metal Gear

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the Arkham games don't have bad stealth but I dont consider them pillars of excellence.

and besides that's not Metal Gear. The goal in Metal Gear is to not get spotted or have the enemy aware of your presence at all, since they don't get scared, they call back up.

Tbh, it seemed like the stealth was there only because "Metal Gear" was in the title. As it is now, I'd rather they rip it out completely or completely re-vamp the system.

Minamu

The difference between block and counter is just the timing, right? I just beat Sam on Normal again with a maxed out Murasama and Wig B and it took like two minutes. I was stuck on him for 2 hours on my first playthrough but he did take out a fair amount of my health this time too (not that I care atm).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol, who gives a shit about stealth in Rising?
I do. It's bad ass. Stealth kills are brutal and feel good.

I love that I have that choice from time to time, and the rest of the game design is not compromised as people can still go apeshit if they want.

I don't see why they SHOULD remove it. It's a homage to Metal Gear Solid and it doesn't ruin the rest of the game. He's a ninja. Let him fuck up people ninja style if he pleases.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

I love that I have that choice from time to time, and the rest of the game design is not compromised as people can still go apeshit if they want.

I don't see why they SHOULD remove it. It's a homage to Metal Gear Solid and it doesn't ruin the rest of the game.

Oh hey, I'm not saying they should remove it or anything. I'm just saying, Rising isn't about stealth, it's an added bonus, which is why I'm not going to bitch about it.

aparisi2274

Finished the game the other night. It was an OK experience...

thought that the 8-4 crew did an awesome job localizing it and I wish they were also contracted to do the VO work, because the voice actors (especially raiden) were all over the place...

my final grade is B-

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
The stealth and the non lethal elements (without the cheat weapon wooden sword anyways) exceeded my expectations in this game

I definitely would not want them to disappear in Rising 2.

Just wondering what exactly Revengeance mode is? I keep hearing it mentioned. Also, what are the locked black boxes in each level for? How do I open them?

Started a fresh game on hard yesterday and it certainly is harder than normal so far. Gonna be an enjoyable replay, and I will hopefully listen to most of the codecs. It's really helping flesh out the characters and world. First time through I must have listened to around 20. Probably because I wanted to see what would happen next without delay.

demidar

Just wondering what exactly Revengeance mode is? I keep hearing it mentioned. Also, what are the locked black boxes in each level for? How do I open them?

Started a fresh game on hard yesterday and it certainly is harder than normal so far. Gonna be an enjoyable replay, and I will hopefully listen to most of the codecs. It's really helping flesh out the characters and world. First time through I must have listened to around 20. Probably because I wanted to see what would happen next without delay.

Revengeance is highest difficulty mode. It takes remixed enemy encounters from very hard, increases the damage they do to you but in exchange perfect parries deal 5 times more damage. Also enemies are more aggressive and faster.

I'm fine with the current way Revengeance does stealth, it just needs to be refined more. Bring back the cone-of-vision on the radar and give Raiden the ability to press up against a wall and peak around a corner. Perhaps also implement Stealth Camo and have it drain from the fuel cells.

agreed. stealth was satisfying, but sometimes i didn't work like i wanted to or i didn't know what the cause of the alert was. if they have more time to work on it, i'm sure platinum can give stealth gameplay in metal gear a new spin.

can't wait to see it.

Neiteio

The stealth and the non lethal elements (without the cheat weapon wooden sword anyways) exceeded my expectations in this game

I definitely would not want them to disappear in Rising 2.
I'm particularly fond of red phosphorus grenades for civilian rescues. I also love all of the stealth sections, really -- it's god-like, clearing out a section without ever being seen. If you thoroughly slice up each stealth kill before performing zandatus, you can still S-rank the area. And the way you can land behind people and run up to them without being heard -- classic ninja behavior. Love it!

I'd be fine with stealth if they could figure out a way to balance it with the rest of the game.

Getting screwed on grading for going stealth kind of sucks, but then again, being able to just one-hit kill all the enemies in an action game doesn't sound right, either.

Neiteio

I'd be fine with stealth if they could figure out a way to balance it with the rest of the game.

Getting screwed on grading for going stealth kind of sucks, but then again, being able to just one-hit kill all the enemies in an action game doesn't sound right, either.
I'm not savvy to all the intricacies of the scoring system, but I do know I was able to S-rank some stealth sections. Is there something that makes this not possible in all instances where stealth is an option?

Also, way I see it, in most cases, stealth exists as more of a "safe" alternative to trying to kill all the enemies in a direct confrontation. I'm thinking of the sections involving Mastiffs on patrol, particularly the bit on Very Hard leading up to Monsoon where there are like four Mastiffs, a cyborg standing watch, and two Blade Wolves.

A skilled player can tackle them all in combat, but a player looking to play it a bit safe and conserve nanopaste could opt for stealth if they wanted. I kind of like that "layered" approach.

'Right' went out the window for me when I started getting one-shotted through the wall by Mastiffs. I'll take stealth bonuses over having to deal with that craziness any day.

What do we even get for it in Rising other than acknowledgement that we did it? It's completely optional, but often it's completely worthless too, especially since one has to trigger alarms to do most of the game's most challenging feats.

I agree with whoever said it was just a novelty for the namesake and not an actual mechanic.

Lol. Didn't KP say they were thinking about a standalone for the next iteration of MGO?

In this day and age he might as well bundle it again with the main game like everyone else.

I agree with whoever said it was just a novelty for the namesake and not an actual mechanic.

regardless of how cheap or worthless it was I'm glad they put it in there to break it up a bit.

Sneaking in the underground tunnel with no light was an intense moment for me, and a nice breather, since those mastiffs were so brutal my first (hard)playthrough

I also like how they got a little creative with the stealth sequence and allowed me to control a dwarf gekko. It was something different and it was short enough to not be annoying on a (first time playthrough).

Anyone trying to kill as Dwarf was doing it wrong :p

Platinum bonus points for dat Samus(Metroid) roll

In this day and age he might as well bundle it again with the main game like everyone else.

regardless of how cheap or worthless it was I'm glad they put it in there to break it up a bit.

Sneaking in the underground tunnel with no light was an intense moment for me, and a nice breather, since those mastiffs were so brutal my first (hard)playthrough

I also like how they got a little creative with the stealth sequence and allowed me to control a dwarf gekko. It was something different and it was short enough to not be annoying on a (first time playthrough).

Yeah, I'd definitely rather it be there than not. Like I said, I tend to use it as spitefully as I can whenever a Mastiff is concerned.

I don't see why they SHOULD remove it. It's a homage to Metal Gear Solid and it doesn't ruin the rest of the game. He's a ninja. Let him fuck up people ninja style if he pleases.

No ninja creeps around in cardboard boxes. It's undignified.

Carbonox

I DID ITTTTTT I FINALLY NO-DAMAGE'D MONSOON ON REVENGEANCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

balotelli-saiyan.gif

God damn the hax video taught me to make Monsoon my bitch. Literally bypassing all but the first vehicle throwing sections. I bow down to the random Japanese player who found this manner. It's quick, relatively easy if you're good at parrying and a fucking god send.

feelsgood.gif

No ninja creeps around in cardboard boxes. It's undignified.
I feel like you're just not understanding the tone of a large part of the Metal Gear universe if you think the cardboard boxes and steel drums are silly and undignified. The beauty of Metal Gear is that it deals with serious, pretentious topics, but with a tongue-in-cheek, playful, attitude. The series would be completely overblown and melodramatic if it didn't have that sense of playfulness to keep it in check. It's a wink to the audience that shows that the creator KNOWS that the series gets too serious at times. It's a reminder that you're playing a game, a game that deals with serious topics, but a game nonetheless.

Zen

Banned
^
The juxtaposition and fusion of modern gameplay technology and presentation with 8-bit era boss designs and conventions ia part of what makes Metal Gear so special.

So close to S ranking Revengance, I think I'm going to pull me hair out.

Revven

Well, beat it on Very Hard now. Final boss felt pretty easy with upgraded shit and being a lot more familiar with what to do from the previous three times I played him.

HOWEVER,
Excelsus had a few new patterns that threw me for a loop; actually made me use two of my nanopastes
I appreciated that though because that first phase is such a pushover on the other difficulties.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I DID ITTTTTT I FINALLY NO-DAMAGE'D MONSOON ON REVENGEANCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn the hax video taught me to make Monsoon my bitch. Literally bypassing all but the first vehicle throwing sections. I bow down to the random Japanese player who found this manner. It's quick, relatively easy if you're good at parrying and a fucking god send.

feelsgood.gif
link?

I found that method less reliable than the "classic" strategy, but I guess it's less involved. The camera and the AI are more prone to screwing me over if I run to the edge baiting the dive.

Monsoon is actually a lot more fun if I'm trying to no-damage him, even with all the frustration. His speed, mixup potential, and general variety is less pronounced when you don't care about him hitting you. I even found the chopper-throwing pretty fun because you actually had to pay attention to what he's throwing and in what configuration before everything starts moving.

Carbonox

I found that method less reliable than the "classic" strategy, but I guess it's less involved. The camera and the AI are more prone to screwing me over if I run to the edge baiting the dive.

Monsoon is actually a lot more fun if I'm trying to no-damage him, even with all the frustration. His speed, mixup potential, and general variety is less pronounced when you don't care about him hitting you. I even found the chopper-throwing pretty fun because you actually had to pay attention to what he's throwing and in what configuration before everything starts moving.

I spent a whole day redoing the fight over and over and over and over and over and constantly getting cheapened on by his final phase of vehicle throwing. It was utter bullshit and I was having none of it anymore, so opted to master the ninja dog manner. I ain't pricking about with this asshole for any longer. Now I don't have to ever again.

In other news, I S ranked the second ranked battle (the one in the lobby where the GRAD appears at the end) on my first attempt, though I hit the S rank exactly. A point lower and I wouldn't have got it. loooooooooooool

Zen

Banned
Lol. Didn't KP say they were thinking about a standalone for the next iteration of MGO?

They better. MGO (MGS4 edition) was one of the best TPS games on the market.

There's no way they're going to ditch it for Rising 2, and it would be a worse game if they did, even if they left it in its current state (which they won't, they'll improve it).

Ragus

Banned
I've just beat chapter 3. God fucking damnit, that boss. Shit was so intense, especially with that music.

Does this game get any better? I feel like it's topping itself every 5 minutes.

Top Bottom