• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Hypron

Since I can never motivate myself to do any revisions/homework on Friday afternoons, I've decided to S rank one chapter on Revengeance every Friday from now on. I already S-ranked R-00 last week when I played through the game on Revengeance for the first time, and I quickly S-ranked R-01 this afternoon (it took me about an hour). It was fairly easy actually, playing really aggressively works really well in this game.

I have to say, the awful VR Missions actually made me a better player. I'm playing again to get that no upgrade title and I'm just playing so much better.

Truth. Although, I didn't find them bad (well, most of them anyway), but they definitely make you better at the game. They also forced me to learn how to use grenades and rocket launchers, which is always a good thing, that'll make the lobby fight in R-05 a lot easier.

Carbonox

dhVvD3cl.jpg

My journey comes to an end. I will probably check out the DLC when they come out but not for a while as I definitely need a break from Rising. :lol

This Platinum is easily my most cherished. No other Platinum that I have made me work as hard as this one. Bayonetta, God of War 3, DMC1 and DmC (lol easiest plat ever) were easy by comparison (seeing as these are the only other hack-n-slash games I have 100% in) to get all achievements in.

It's been a pleasure sharing the tears and joy with y'all.

NuhctNK.jpg

Picked this up, and I'm on my first play-through on hard. I suck at games but I dove right into it. This game is so freaking rewarding to play. The battles and the bosses are so satisfying - as is the parry system and zandatsu. I just finished Monsoon, and I have to say that was probably the best boss fight I've had in a long long time.

oh man wait til the final boss then. even better imo.

NEO0MJ

man, I will never get the plat. for this game, it's too demanding. I mean how the hell do you beat Revengeance difficulty with all S? I barely got a B in hard.

man, I will never get the plat. for this game, it's too demanding. I mean how the hell do you beat Revengeance difficulty with all S? I barely got a B in hard.

No damage on fights gives you a point bonus that will almost always get you to S. Wig B (infinite Ripper Mode) and upgraded weapons also helps.

I'll never get the platinum simply because I don't wanna do the codec trophy. I enjoy the codec and the amount of work they put into it, but I don't have that kind of patience. I'd rather spend my time with Rising ripping up enemies to the great soundtrack.

NEO0MJ

Start, up, A, A like a motherfucker every time you get hit :p.

Speaking of that, does restarting in the middle of boss fights effect your score? This is for Boss fights that have checkpoints in them, such as Excelsus.

No damage on fights gives you a point bonus that will almost always get you to S. Wig B (infinite Ripper Mode) and upgraded weapons also helps.

I don't know why but I thought using wigs hurts your score. Will use it now.

I'll never get the platinum simply because I don't wanna do the codec trophy. I enjoy the codec and the amount of work they put into it, but I don't have that kind of patience. I'd rather spend my time with Rising ripping up enemies to the great soundtrack.

I actually just got that during the last chapter last night. Feels so nice never having to listen to them again.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Lots of swearing in spoiler text about the last boss.
fuck you platinum games, fuck you you fucking fuckers the last boss is a fucking cunt! i fucking hate you too!

Hypron

Speaking of that, does restarting in the middle of boss fights affect your score? This is for Boss fights that have checkpoints in them, such as Excelsus.

It doesn't, you can restart as many times as you want as long as you do it manually (ie. you don't die).

fuck you platinum games, fuck you you fucking fuckers the last boss is a fucking cunt! i fucking hate you too!
Calm down, son. He's actually pretty easy. Seriously, at first my reaction was the same as yours. But then he became very easy. Take a break. Come back, stay focused and calm.

NEO0MJ

Calm down, son. He's actually pretty easy. Seriously, at first my reaction was the same as yours. But then he became very easy. Take a break. Come back, stay focused and calm.

Yeah, if you lose your cool against him you die. Watching my lil' bro panic against him was pretty funny, though.

I failed soooo often during the unarmed bit of the final boss fight on Revengeance. Harder than anything I had to do in Dark Souls. It didn't help that I had 0 healing items on me when I got there. In the end I passed it by just running around not getting hit waiting for the next scene to kick in. That didn't feel very good at all, would have preferred to have passed it while fighting like a man.

I failed soooo often during the unarmed bit of the final boss fight on Revengeance. Harder than anything I had to do in Dark Souls. It didn't help that I had 0 healing items on me when I got there. In the end I passed it by just running around not getting hit waiting for the next scene to kick in. That didn't feel very good at all, would have preferred to have passed it while fighting like a man.

Dodging is the key during that section. Dodge, smack, dodge, smack and he can't do jack.

Speaking of swearing, here's where it's completely natural and appropriate. Compared to the juvenile swearing in DmC, lol.

This is actually one of the less demanding plats to get. If you're struggling to S Rank things, try using Infinite Wig B and Ripper Mode. This will make it quite easy to get no damage, Zandatsu, kills, and time bonuses.

Also, Hypron is absolutely right that the VR Missions aren't too hard...provided you've unlocked the boss sub-weapons. Remember: both blade mode and Raiden's dodge move can cancel lengthy weapon animations. This makes pincer blades your best friend in just about all VR Missions since they're most effective at stripping armour quickly and stunning UGs.

In VR Mission 19, it makes the Fenrirs a complete joke because a three hit combo from the pincer blades leads to an instant Zandatsu opportunity. For other enemies, a few pincer blade hits will strip away armour, giving you the opportunity to cut away limbs with blade mode. This also weakens enemies enough that you can stagger lock them with light attacks. So for VR Missions 18 and 19, you can cheese the hammer bros by stripping away their armour with the pincer blades then stagger lock them with the polearm. Once you notice these sort of things, the VR Missions become fairly trivial.

I think the hardest achievement is probably the codec achievement. The way I approached the achievement was to ring everyone during every fight, after every minor event (i.e. during and after a hostage situtation) and after every cutscene. There's also a few that are unlocked by certain things you do: if you keep calling Courtney like a bad ex-boyfriend, Kev will ask you if you're hitting on her. Similarly, everyone will berate you if you strip a hostage.

Feindflug

Just wanted to say that when this game clicks is OMFG! over the top badass awesomeness! I'm on my second collectibles-get playthrough and the difference in my play style is so big plus I got the no hit achievement on
yesterday, to put it simply games like this is the reason I'm still playing videogames.

To Kenji Saito, to the awesome people at Platinum and of course PlatinumGamesJP that made this game a reality:

platinum_love1zket.gif

I love you guys! ^_^

duckroll

I'm wondering if anyone who has played the Japanese version in depth could answer this question (or maybe JP? He should know!):

In the Japanese version of Rising, the game is "censored" in the sense that all the cyborgs have white blood in like MGS4 instead of the more "realistic" red blood in the international version. But there's a radio codec in chapter 1 which I recall talking about this exact detail, and how after MGS4, the tech has moved on and no one really uses artificial white blood anymore. Is this codec conversation left in the Japanese version? It would be really funny if it was...

MCD

Mmmmm...Chapter 5, what happened?

Whole chapter is 10 minutes of the same enemies?

Then Chapter 6 is just a one boss fight? WTF

Did they ran out of budget? And the story is now total animu.

I doubt budget had anything to do with it. Its pretty obvious Platinum ran out of time. They rescued KojiPro's vapourware watermelon slicing simulator and pumped out something like like a year and a half.

They didn't have as much time as they wanted to make the game, and they made the game at the last minute in little over a year, which is amazing.

MCD

They did a decent job but I wanted to get more BP because I barely bought shit with my pathetic performance in these two chapters.

Bedlam

True. R05 felt like filler and R06 was obviously missing at least a driving sequence. I would've loved some Road Rash/Full Throttle style Highway carnage at that point (even with how janky that stuff was in Bayonetta). Imagine how fucking badass that could've been with blade mode and that soundtrack playing alongside!

Still, R06 is probably my favorite mission to replay. Great intro cutscene (I even like how Raiden's voice cracks and goes high during the "Is everything okay on your side" line lol) and awesome boss battle.

monome

I doubt budget had anything to do with it. Its pretty obvious Platinum ran out of time. They rescued KojiPro's vapourware watermelon slicing simulator and pumped out something like like a year and a half.

yep.

Contrary to what I believed, Rising is its own thing and not the BayoXVanquish I thought it was.

Rising is worthy of a sequel, and I'm crossing all my fingers hoping next-gen won't derail such an obvious move.

True. R05 felt like filler and R06 was obviously missing at least a driving sequence. I would've loved some Road Rash/Full Throttle style Highway carnage at that point (even with how janky that stuff was in Bayonetta). Imagine how fucking badass that could've been with blade mode and that soundtrack playing alongside!

Still, R06 is probably my favorite mission to replay. Great intro cutscene (I even like how Raiden's voice cracks and goes high during the "Is everything okay on your side" line lol) and awesome boss battle.

Keep that shit out of my action games.

MCD

Keep that shit out of my action games.

No. Rising needed something like that or more platforming instead of auto ninja run mode.

Story mode is pretty barren compared to DMC or NG. Compare the stages to NG for example, here, Raiden is just going from wasteland point A to another shit looking place point B. Ryu on the other hand, goes from some training dojo to the waterfall and finally to his home village with actual platforming elements.

Like, sure man, I appreciate the non bullshit auto mode but a little break from the action isn't bad and Kojima's codec way is not the answer. I don't want to sit idle and listen to Doc's lectures for hours in an action game FFS.

Game is good but it needed more time in the oven to truly make it shine as a its own game instead of a patch job to save Kojima's ass.

Sephzilla

No. Rising needed something like that or more platforming instead of auto ninja run mode.

Story mode is pretty barren compared to DMC or NG. Compare the stages to NG for example, here, Raiden is just going from wasteland point A to another shit looking place point B. Ryu on the other hand, goes from some training dojo to the waterfall and finally to his home village with actual platforming elements.

Like, sure man, I appreciate the non bullshit auto mode but a little break from the action isn't bad and Kojima's codec way is not the answer. I don't want to sit idle and listen to Doc's lectures for hours FFS.

Game is good but it needed more time in the oven to truly make it shine as a its own game instead of a patch job to save Kojima's ass.

After DmC I think action games need less platforming.

Also, did you actually play the game? The stages seem fairly diverse, I don't remember any "wastelands"

I'm fine with the codecs being the break in the action. It actually contributes to the story and characters and I'd rather have that than having some stupid platforming sequences or gimmick levels thrown in just to pad out the length of the game.

Like, sure man, I appreciate the non bullshit auto mode but a little break from the action isn't bad and Kojima's codec way is not the answer. I don't want to sit idle and listen to Doc's lectures for hours FFS.

I like MGR a lot because it has probably the least amount of bullshit inbetween fights since, like DMC3. I don't want to experience horrible platforming (DmC) or horrible tribute stages (Bayonetta) in action games. It makes these games more and more unreplayable if you put tedious low-skill shit inbetween what you want to actually do.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't inherently hate the idea of driving sequences with combat, but they have never ever been done in a manner that wasn't completely obnoxious.

MCD

After DmC I think action games need less platforming.

Also, did you actually play the game? The stages seem fairly diverse, I don't remember any "wastelands"

I don't find Mexico pretty, sorry.

I hated the yellow tinted look of MGS4 and hate it here even more.

MCD

I like MGR a lot because it has probably the least amount of bullshit inbetween fights since, like DMC3. I don't want to experience horrible platforming (DmC) or horrible tribute stages (Bayonetta) in action games. It makes these games more and more unreplayable if you put tedious low-skill shit inbetween what you want to actually do.

There is always mission challenges for pure combat sex.

Story mode should be more than that. It's also one of the reason Ninja Gaiden 3 sucked big time, you have great combat in Rising with well designed enemies and spectacular boss fights. In NG3 however, everything is pure trash and whole campaign is just one arena after another.

My point is, story mode needed more content and platforming or I guess a driving section would have helped masking the short campaign.

There is always mission challenges for pure combat sex.

Story mode should be more than that. It's also one of the reason Ninja Gaiden 3 sucked big time, you have great combat in Rising with well designed enemies and spectacular boss fights. In NG3 however, everything is pure trash and whole campaign is just one arena after another.

My point is, story mode needed more content and platforming or I guess a driving section would have helped masking the short campaign.

Ninja Gaiden 3 sucked because it had no variety in its arenas or its enemies.. or anything. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fucking awful game. Ninja Gaiden 2 is little more than arena after arena (just with actual... level progression and visual variety) and it is a great game. NG2's structure is much better than NG1's as well (with its awkward hub stage and "puzzles").

No need to pad this game out with useless bullshit. I guess it could use more actual content, like more fighting I guess (any game could use more good content). Anything that makes the game more unreplayable (bad driving sequences lol) is a detriment to the games length.

MCD

Ninja Gaiden 3 sucked because it had no variety in its arenas or its enemies.. or anything. Ninja Gaiden 3 is a fucking awful game. Ninja Gaiden 2 is little more than arena after arena (just with actual... level progression and visual variety) and it is a great game.

Yeah. What I wanted to say but better.

I hate platforming in action games. But I could agree that there should have been more stages like the japanese garden. R-06 was really awesome, though.

Also: While I love Ninja Gaiden, every boss in MGR is 100x times better than any boss in NGB or NG2.

Carbonox

I have this strange feeling...nay, 'urge'...to return to the game even after getting Platinum in it.

No game has ever made me want to do this. I'm listening to the soundtrack so that's probably why but...but....is this an addiction?

RULES OF NATURE

Hnngh. Maybe I should make a new PSN account and Platinum it AGAIN.

6sxvdu9ljqd.gif

ihavenoideawhatimdoing

I think it's safe to say that Rising is in my top 5 games of the generation.

it's a vicious cycle, i play, then feel content with it, then listen to mistral's theme, then want to play again.

shouldn't burn myself out before the vr dlc, i know that's probably going to be hell to go through.

After getting 1000/1000 in Bayo, I replayed it around 10 times. And probably will continue to.
And that's just the storymode without angelslayer. I could see myself doing this with MGR, too.

Probably spent up to 4 hours now collectively trying to pass vr mission 18. Die on wave 3 every time. I'm determined to pass this but I see no end in sight.

Carbonox

Probably spent up to 4 hours now collectively trying to pass vr mission 18. I'm determined to pass this but I see no end in sight.

Don't worry, it's the biggest piece of shit in the whole game IMO. :lol

Wave 3 can be brutal but a recommendation I learned from here is to unequip your side-weapon and use the sword's Stinger attack (up, up, heavy). It always knocks down the Fenrir and gets you away from the other enemies in the process. After that, it's easy to get rid of the rest.

Wave 3 can be brutal but a recommendation I learned from here is to unequip your side-weapon and use the sword's Stinger attack (up, up, heavy). It always knocks down the Fenrir and gets you away from the other enemies in the process. After that, it's easy to get rid of the rest.

I saw suggestions of trying to get the fenrir to shoot the hammer guys, but since that's just based on luck it hasn't been working out. I'll try the Stinger, thanks. Also heard one method of using the pincers on the remaining hammer guys, and another method of using the sai, which one is more effective?

Carbonox

I saw suggestions of trying to get the fenrir to shoot the hammer guys, but since that's just based on luck it hasn't been working out. I'll try the Stinger, thanks. Also heard one method of using the pincers on the remaining hammer guys, and another method of using the sai, which one is more effective?

It's more likely that the Fenrir will try to throw knives at you if you're standing so that a hammer guy is in-between you but yeah it's pretty much down to luck.

Regarding dealing with the hammer guys, I actually use the pole-arm just to wipe out whatever Dwarf Gekko's are left so they don't annoy me. Then I switch to the Pincers for the hammer guys and utilize dodge offset when they get too close, whilst constantly wailing on them with the Pincers. I wouldn't use the Sai's for them.

Top Bottom