• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Joe Lee

Holy shit, they really don't fuck around with Very Hard. Right in the opening sequence they throw Gekkos and Fenrirs at you. I wasn't expecting that.

Uh, I didn't use the codec ONCE during the entire game, and I can't imagine the level of patience what you described would entail, not to mention it would be boring and tiresome as fuck. Ringing everyone during every fight, event, cutscene? Is it worth it, to get some digital "trophy"? I just don't understand the cost/benefit ratio of such an endeavor. What do you do with the trophy? Who congratulates you for it? Whats its value? If it has no value, and attaining it is not even entertaining in any way, then why go through that?

Takes an additional hour to do if you just smash triangle. If you're actually interested in the codecs, you get to hear some interesting stuff about the world, events, and whatnot. If you find this shit boring, then the worst mission is going to be R-01 because they're the lengthiest. This is a Metal Gear game after all, you're pretty much expected to ring the codec 24/7 to listen to people like Paramedic tell you about movies or how tasty that mushroom is.

If you've heard them before and have saved, the game remembers you've listened to them. Its an incredibly easy achievement to get and the codec in this game is well done. You just have to do it methodically. You only have to listen to 400 out of 540 so its actually a pretty easy achievement to get if you cover all bases.

Hypron

Instead of doing some work this afternoon I ended up S-ranking R-02 in revengeance (I should probably get over and done with the game asap so that I don't get distracted anymore).

It was a lot easier than I thought it'd be (I'm not even using infinite wigs). The 3 fights I thought would be the trickiest were the raptors, the back-up call fight and the 2 GRADs at the end.

The raptors turned out to be extremely easy, ripper mode + armour breaker makes quick work of them (you don't even need the armour breaker anyway, I tried with murasama and it went just as well). It's useful to have the Sai on hand if you don't manage to kill all three of them during ripper mode.

The back-up call fight was really annoying, mainly because it comes straight after a fight against 3 mastifs without a checkpoint inbetween. I just gave up on the no-damage bonus, instead concentrating on getting a combo as high as possible while getting as many zandatsus as possible (I missed one and still got an S so there's still a bit of leeway). The armour breaker + sai combo is incredibly useful in this fight, you can stun the tripods, go in blade mode and slash them until their armor breaks, making it easy to get zandatsus.

Finally, I thought the GRADs would be horrendous to fight, but they turned out to be quite easy. I found a little technique that works wonders (well I'm sure somebody else has thought of it before, but anyway): With murasama and the sai equipped, I'd go in ripper mode as soon as the fight starts, before perfect parrying the big GRAD's attack. This takes it down to ~30%. From there, I would just go into blade mode and hack and slash until it was down to 10% (this usually coincided with me running out of energy). At this point it'd become open to a finisher, which I'd quickly perform. After that, I'd use the sai to immediately stun the second GRAD, and consequently go to town on it by keeping it in a stunlock. There doesn't seem to be a point in zandatsuing it, because it doesn't seem to register on the scoreboard at the end of the fight.

Perhaps a lot of time and money was spent on the voice recordings AND people into MGS lore would want some story with their action so pin it to a trophy so A, it isn't intrusive of the action at hand and B, entices people to check out what they've created.

Well, they could have at least given SOME incentive to check out the codecs then, or at least make it a requirement a couple times to get some info. I didnt call anyone throughout the entire game because I literally forgot that you could. They never wove it into the gameplay at all, which means all that effort and voice acting went to waste. Most people are not going to randomly decide to check the codecs if the game never once asks it of you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, they could have at least given SOME incentive to check out the codecs then, or at least make it a requirement a couple times to get some info. I didnt call anyone throughout the entire game because I literally forgot that you could. They never wove it into the gameplay at all, which means all that effort and voice acting went to waste. Most people are not going to randomly decide to check the codecs if the game never once asks it of you.

Which is fine. You never had to call the codec in previous Metal Gear titles either. It's there if you want the backup/flavor and if not you can blow through at whatever pace and choice you want.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Blah! I just got done the demo an I usually like me some button mashy hack 'n slash games but this one felt tedious an boring an it don't help that the controls kinda suck. R3 being the camera center button suuuuuucks. Why can't ya assign it to L3? Why is there no guard/evade? That first boss was a major pain in the butt cause there was like no way to avoid its attacks so I "died" on it like 3 times and this was on easy mode! Plus it was a lame boss anyway since it took a couple timeouts to send in backup ~_~ like way ta artificially extend an already boring thing, guy!

Roto13

Blah! I just got done the demo an I usually like me some button mashy hack 'n slash games but this one felt tedious an boring an it don't help that the controls kinda suck. R3 being the camera center button suuuuuucks. Why can't ya assign it to L3? Why is there no guard/evade? That first boss was a major pain in the butt cause there was like no way to avoid its attacks so I "died" on it like 3 times and this was on easy mode! Plus it was a lame boss anyway since it took a couple timeouts to send in backup ~_~ like way ta artificially extend an already boring thing, guy!

lol

Parry/block (depending on timing) by pressing the left stick toward the attack along with the light attack button. And the reason why the boss calls backup is so you can zandatsu them to get health back. You can also kill them in like a second if you know what you're doing.

zainetor

Banned

why does nobody reads the fucking screen instructions?

Hypron

Ruh roh

I don't even know what to say. Reading the instructions the game give you might be a good start.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
???

If I was doing anything wrong, blame the game! The options only tell ya what the shoulder buttons & sticks do nothing else!

Parry/block (depending on timing) by pressing the left stick toward the attack along with the light attack button. And the reason why the boss calls backup is so you can zandatsu them to get health back. You can also kill them in like a second if you know what you're doing.
If its a timing thing forget about it. I'm terrible at that kinda stuff especially in the midst of speedy-mashy-slashy-frenzy @_@ I dunno what a zandatsu is either aside from a stat I always got 0 in. I assume its a special move but how or when ta do it? Ya got me! For a demo it didn't do a good job of teaching me the ropes!

why does nobody reads the fucking screen instructions?
Ruh roh

I don't even know what to say. Reading the instructions the game give you might be a good start.
The only instuctions I saw was select for codec and L+Square for parry which I didn't get at all since I was constantly using those buttons anyways.

Perhaps I could recommend this game to you instead.

Roto13

There's no point in telling someone who expects Rising to be "button mashy" to read the instructions because that's already more effort than they're apparently willing to put into it. "I'M PRESSING BUTTONS AND I'M NOT WINNING GAME SUX"

The demo/game clearly tells you everything you need to know on screen. It's one of the best games at teaching the player without getting overzealous. Try paying attention to the instructions that show up on the screen instead of mashing buttons.

TheSeks

This isn't a button-mashing "hack and slash," like PSO/PSU... Lindsay, honey.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

It's not button mashy. To actually have fun in MGR, you need a modicrum of skill. So, if you don't want to learn anything about the combat, then you may as well move on because there's nothing for you in this game.

To block, you need to tap the left stick in a direction and press Square at the same time. Raiden will perform a parry maneuver. The maneuver will only come out if the enemy is going to attack.

Zandatsu is when Raiden reaches in slow mo, grabs the spine, crushes it, and yells "Bullseye" or "Dead on". This replenishes your health and meter. You use your meter in order to use the slowtime BladeMode, by pressing and holding the L2 button. When you do this, you'll see little squares on your opponent. Slash the little square by moving the aiming reticle and hitting either Square or Triangle. Then you'll get an O prompt. Using the slowtime BladeMode drains your meter.

Korigama

VR Mission 18...never again, now that I've got the gold (getting rid of the Fenrir really did cause more problems than anything else).

I just finished the story of this game .took my sweet time i know .

i'm satisfied.
All the bosses were fun and great , except the pole lady boss fight that was poor , but at least the music was cool.

Needed some time to adapt to the final bosses patterns but it was "ok" ..
Overall i loved it .. cutting things never got old so i guess i'm back to do another run + vr missions.

FILE 5, 6 & 7 are too short.

i spent a lot of time listening to codecs conversations It's very good ..Lol when they used forced codecs conversation to mask loadings !

TheSeks

I still haven't done VR missions since I'm still trying to no-damage Monsoon. Get into the groove but get hit and have to retry 50 million times until I get a run nearly finished only to get hit from panic or joy of nearly being done. Repeat. D:

Roto13

I just finished the story of this game .took my sweet time i know .

i'm satisfied.
All the bosses were fun and great , except the pole lady boss fight that was poor , but at least the music was cool.

Needed some time to adapt to the final bosses patterns but it was "ok" ..
Overall i loved it .. cutting things never got old so i guess i'm back to do another run + vr missions.

FILE 5, 6 & 7 are too short.

"Wow, this game is great, and I'm only half- oh.

..."

iF8UzjLgLCj3R.gif

VR Mission 18...never again, now that I've got the gold (getting rid of the Fenrir really did cause more problems than anything else).

Doesn't it feel good to parry the mastiffs' dive attack though? I thought I would hate that VR mission because of how hard it was, but it ended up being satisfying too. It's hard, but not complete bullshit-type hard like mission 17. Except for when the camera screws you over.

Parrying mastiff dives gets me hype! Just thinking about it makes me want to play the game some more!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Eww no thanks!

There's no point in telling someone who expects Rising to be "button mashy" to read the instructions because that's already more effort than they're apparently willing to put into it. "I'M PRESSING BUTTONS AND I'M NOT WINNING GAME SUX"
Why should I not have expected it to be like a DMC and other slashy sword heavy games...? I didn't follow its development or previews or anything. Pretty much tried the demo on a whim!

The demo/game clearly tells you everything you need to know on screen. It's one of the best games at teaching the player without getting overzealous. Try paying attention to the instructions that show up on the screen instead of mashing buttons.
I only saw 2 instructions an only the codec one made any sense. When your in battle the screens full of stuff including baddies. Letting 'em wail on ya while you're trying to read alleged instructions dun seem like a safest of ideas? I guess ya could file it under growing pains since I jumped into the demo knowing basically nothing about the game.

It's not button mashy. To actually have fun in MGR, you need a modicrum of skill. So, if you don't want to learn anything about the combat, then you may as well move on because there's nothing for you in this game.

To block, you need to tap the left stick in a direction and press Square at the same time. Raiden will perform a parry maneuver. The maneuver will only come out if the enemy is going to attack.

Zandatsu is when Raiden reaches in slow mo, grabs the spine, crushes it, and yells "Bullseye" or "Dead on". This replenishes your health and meter. You use your meter in order to use the slowtime BladeMode, by pressing and holding the L2 button. When you do this, you'll see little squares on your opponent. Slash the little square by moving the aiming reticle and hitting either Square or Triangle. Then you'll get an O prompt. Using the slowtime BladeMode drains your meter.
Welllll ya can't have skill on your very first try!!! But I'll accept the tough love ya to heart all are giving me! As for the Zandatsu thing I am real super sure it never once came up for me. Maybe cause I never used the free blade mode? I tried in the training area but it felt super wonky an unwieldy to me. But as I'ma guess now the free blade thing is the "heart" of the gameplay an I'll get yelled at more for not using/liking it? Whatevers! I'ma jump back in an give it another try and see if I can't at least to a parry!

Korigama

Doesn't it feel good to parry the mastiffs' dive attack though? I thought I would hate that VR mission because of how hard it was, but it ended up being satisfying too. It's hard, but not complete bullshit-type hard like mission 17. Except for when the camera screws you over.

Parrying mastiff dives gets me hype! Just thinking about it makes me want to play the game some more!
I do admit it was satisfying to parry their stupid wall dives and drop kicks like that. Overall, I would agree that mission 17 was worse. All sub-weapon kills, no parry, and no dodge? Bleh.

I only saw 2 instructions an only the codec one made any sense. When your in battle the screens full of stuff including baddies. Letting 'em wail on ya while you're trying to read alleged instructions dun seem like a safest of ideas? I guess ya could file it under growing pains since I jumped into the demo knowing basically nothing about the game.

Yep, which is good that you tried the demo first and didn't just buy the game not knowing what it really is hehe. The combat is much deeper than your typical action gme, so the learning curve is there in full force. Stick with it though and it's immensely rewarding. On normal, id say it's very accessible without being too mindless for the beginner. The real game begins on higher difficulties. It's not a long game and is meant to be replayed many times, so feel free to go at your own pace and don't be discouraged.

demidar

I might stream this tomorrow with most unlocks and hard mode. It's fun as hell.

Revengeance mode is just mean, though.

I think once I get the Platinum trophy I'll just do a wooden sword run through the game on Revengeance just for kicks without using cheat weapons/wigs. No restarting because I took damage, no restarting because I didn't get an S-rank, just gonna power through however I can.

I think once I get the Platinum trophy I'll just do a wooden sword run through the game on Revengeance just for kicks without using cheat weapons/wigs. No restarting because I took damage, no restarting because I didn't get an S-rank, just gonna power through however I can.

No ripper mode, no secondary weapons, no sub weapons to get your true revengeance.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Thanks for the helps! Second impressions is much nicer so hurrah!

Yep, which is good that you tried the demo first and didn't just buy the game not knowing what it really is hehe. The combat is much deeper than your typical action gme, so the learning curve is there in full force. Stick with it though and it's immensely rewarding. On normal, id say it's very accessible without being too mindless for the beginner. The real game begins on higher difficulties. It's not a long game and is meant to be replayed many times, so feel free to go at your own pace and don't be discouraged.
Thats what I'm always told when I try to play one of these types of games but I normally have fun just cheesing my way through 'em on super easy w/o learning a whole lot. Which means I'm doing it wrong cause your not allowed ta have fun until ya master games or so some people would have ya believe >.>

Anyways this demo (game?) has a buncha technical hiccups lol. Kinda giving me flashbacks to Bayonetta since I got the PS3 version of that. Not being able to skip these slooowww walk & talk segments sucks whose brilliant idea was that? Anyways I played through 2 more times an got better rankings each time and didn't even die the last time! Still dunno how this hand collecting thing works. Are they automatically collected after chopping peeps up or what? Discovering stealth kills was a nice thing! I dunno how grenades work. No matter how far away I aim he always ends up dropping them practically at his feet. Maybe Raidens just got a bad throwing arm o.o?

Parrying for me is mashing L+Square I know I shouldn't mash but it kinda works more often then not. I'm just to poor a judge of animations/timing to do any differently. Zandatsus are umm... gross. Why can't I just have a tranquilizer gun/sword/gunsword? I guess that kinda thing wouldn't work so well in an action game! I still say the boss sucks. Sure I got around to killing it alot quicker an easier but its still an annoying critter. Can ya even avoid the attack where it chainsaw tails ya in the face? I'm sure thats a yes but I never could do it yet.

Thanks for the helps! Second impressions is much nicer so hurrah!

Thats what I'm always told when I try to play one of these types of games but I normally have fun just cheesing my way through 'em on super easy w/o learning a whole lot. Which means I'm doing it wrong cause your not allowed ta have fun until ya master games or so some people would have ya believe >.>

Anyways this demo (game?) has a buncha technical hiccups lol. Kinda giving me flashbacks to Bayonetta since I got the PS3 version of that. Not being able to skip these slooowww walk & talk segments sucks whose brilliant idea was that? Anyways I played through 2 more times an got better rankings each time and didn't even die the last time! Still dunno how this hand collecting thing works. Are they automatically collected after chopping peeps up or what? Discovering stealth kills was a nice thing! I dunno how grenades work. No matter how far away I aim he always ends up dropping them practically at his feet. Maybe Raidens just got a bad throwing arm o.o?

Parrying for me is mashing L+Square I know I shouldn't mash but it kinda works more often then not. I'm just to poor a judge of animations/timing to do any differently. Zandatsus are umm... gross. Why can't I just have a tranquilizer gun/sword/gunsword? I guess that kinda thing wouldn't work so well in an action game! I still say the boss sucks. Sure I got around to killing it alot quicker an easier but its still an annoying critter. Can ya even avoid the attack where it chainsaw tails ya in the face? I'm sure thats a yes but I never could do it yet.

The game has an Easy difficulty with optional parry assistance, so if you absolutely can't/don't want to learn the mechanics there should be no obstacle to you completing the game. I can't fathom why anyone would want to play this game like that, since you've deprived yourself of 80% of what the game has to offer and you'd get more enjoyment out of a Mousou game.

Honestly though, there's a ton of walkthroughs on youtube by capable players, so you can see how the full game is supposed to look, and there's no reason for you to ask for technical assistance on Gaf for the most basic mechanics because we wouldn't be able to show you exactly what to do, and any advice we'd give would be pointless since if you'd been interested in tutorials or reading instructions you wouldn't have these issues. Actively refusing to learn the basics and then blaming the game for it is a real quick way for people to start dismissing your opinions.

Kard8p3

Can someone help me out with the surprise attack trophy. I can't even get past the first part without getting spotted. I take out the first two guys easily but the guy at the gate is a problem. I throw out a 3d frame to distract him but he still somehow auto spots me if I pass by a certain point. How do I take care of this guy?

Can someone help me out with the surprise attack trophy. I can't even get past the first part without getting spotted. I take out the first two guys easily but the guy at the gate is a problem. I throw out a 3d frame to distract him but he still somehow auto spots me if I pass by a certain point. How do I take care of this guy?

I used the 3D frame too, but waited until he was done with it and walking back to his post. Then I ran up to him (regular run, not Ninja) and stealth killed him. That's what worked for me, at least. I'm sure someone has a better strategy.

Korigama

Have the guy at the fence eat a rocket (will kill him so long as the difficulty is hard or below). You'll be fine so long as you take out the first two guys before you do it, and certainly if you hit him from the side and not head on. 3D photo frame never worked for me there either, as he always saw me no matter what (probably glitched).

Kard8p3

Have the guy at the fence eat a rocket (will kill him so long as the difficulty is hard or below). You'll be fine so long as you take out the first two guys before you do it, and certainly if you hit him from the side and not head on. 3D photo frame never worked for me there either, as he always saw me no matter what (probably glitched).

Yep I just fed him a nice rocket to the face and he went down. Thanks for the help.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
You can skip the codec conversations in the full version.
Yay! That is a good thing! I mean I'd never skip 'em the first or second time through but a buncha times in a row like this it got pretty annoying.

The game has an Easy difficulty with optional parry assistance, so if you absolutely can't/don't want to learn the mechanics there should be no obstacle to you completing the game. I can't fathom why anyone would want to play this game like that, since you've deprived yourself of 80% of what the game has to offer and you'd get more enjoyment out of a Mousou game.
Is parrying this games witch time then? I'd totally play on easy/normal and have those assists are turned off while clumsily trying ta do it manually. Even in slower non-actiony games I always have trouble with stuff that requires timing an thats a flaw with me not the game an I never said otherwise -_- Maybe a gaming god like yourself who I can only assume S ranked the game their first/second time through no sweat can't understand but people can have fun with any game even if they're bad or incompent or both at it! I do at least try to take advantage of the tools they throw at ya even if in the end my execution falls on its face!

Honestly though, there's a ton of walkthroughs on youtube by capable players, so you can see how the full game is supposed to look, and there's no reason for you to ask for technical assistance on Gaf for the most basic mechanics because we wouldn't be able to show you exactly what to do, and any advice we'd give would be pointless since if you'd been interested in tutorials or reading instructions you wouldn't have these issues. Actively refusing to learn the basics and then blaming the game for it is a real quick way for people to start dismissing your opinions.
I wasn't asking GAF for help though I dun see how that'd be a bad or unwanted thing seeing as how some other posts on the same page were asking how to do some things! And it was nice to get pointers and explanation the demo failed to provide (unless I really am blind). Were this the full game I would've totally read over the instruction book before even starting it up, but those things don't exist with demos! Should I take all this as "first impressions are unwanted unless they're overwhelmingly positive" or that I oughta resign my GAF account and just visit youtube for all my gaming needs?

Yay! That is a good thing! I mean I'd never skip 'em the first or second time through but a buncha times in a row like this it got pretty annoying.

Is parrying this games witch time then? I'd totally play on easy/normal and have those assists are turned off while clumsily trying ta do it manually. Even in slower non-actiony games I always have trouble with stuff that requires timing an thats a flaw with me not the game an I never said otherwise -_- Maybe a gaming god like yourself who I can only assume S ranked the game their first/second time through no sweat can't understand but people can have fun with any game even if they're bad or incompent or both at it! I do at least try to take advantage of the tools they throw at ya even if in the end my execution falls on its face!
Parrying is a huge part of the game, but what I'm describing is simply ignoring all the possible challenges the game might provide, and just treat it as a mashing exercise between a series of cutscenes. It's like buying a sports car just to sit in the back seat and get driven to places because you hate driving, since in that case you'd have more legroom and a smoother ride in a cheap Toyota. It just seems strange to me.

I wasn't asking GAF for help though I dun see how that'd be a bad or unwanted thing seeing as how some other posts on the same page were asking how to do some things! And it was nice to get pointers and explanation the demo failed to provide (unless I really am blind). Were this the full game I would've totally read over the instruction book before even starting it up, but those things don't exist with demos! Should I take all this as "first impressions are unwanted unless they're overwhelmingly positive" or that I oughta resign my GAF account and just visit youtube for all my gaming needs?

The game has plenty of flaws (the camera) and there are plenty of action game veterans who don't particularly enjoy it, but what you posted was hardly constructive criticism. If you actively ignored all the in-game explanations, there's no way for anyone on a forum to explain the basics of how to play the game better than a youtube video could, and if you couldn't be bothered do that much I don't see how a text explanation could help. Also, if you start with accusations and arguments instead of just asking for specific tips, you're going to have a hard time finding people willing to help.

The Demo also has a massive thread on gaf and 90% of it is users teaching each other how to play the game when asked nicely. Plenty of us like to share new techniques we've found or help others through their difficulties, but "this game sucks teach me how to play it" is not a good way to start the conversation.

MCD

FINAL CHAPTER

FINAL BOSS

FOR MOTHERFUCKIN' AMERIKA

DON'T FUCK WITH THIS SENATOR

MOTHERFUCCKER I WANT TO PLAY AS THIS BAD ASS SENATOR

Ragus

Banned
The credits are rolling in as I'm writing this.

GOD FUCKING DAMNIIT, THAT MOTHERFUCKING LAST FIGHT.

After 10-15 deaths, I said to myself - "Oh fuck, I may have hit a wall here. No way I'm going to kill this mofo"

But then, I told myself:

"Would Jack the Ripper be such a pussy? AW HELL NAW"

AND THEN I SLICED, USED PARRY AND KILLED THAT SON OF A BITCH.

For people.

For peace.

For MURRICA.

11/11 - would revegeance again

Salih

i don't get it - can someone explain why the yellow armor looks like the standard armor?

edit:
After 10-15 deaths, I said to myself - "Oh fuck, I may have hit a wall here. No way I'm going to kill this mofo"

But then, I told myself:

"Would Jack the Ripper be such a pussy? AW HELL NAW"
i hope you show the same steadfastness when you do the vr missions. you gonna need it.

Top Bottom